Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maggie Thatcher dead - Mega merge thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

summerskin wrote: »
    perfectly well with most right minded people, as it stopped them blowing up an army base.

....yeah, that would have been a tragedy allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

not yet wrote: »
    And the 1916 leaders ? scum to I suppose.

What's 1916 got to do with it,

They were going to kill and got treated accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

we could do with a strong leader like her

Gatling wrote: »
    You think this country wants the north

Ye don't want immigrants, ye don't want the north. Ye'd probably turn down ice cream or sex if it was offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

and to millions more they were terrorists who got what was coming to them.

stupid argument is stupid.

"ooh i'm irish and all the IRA were freedom fighters and those naughty brits were wrong for shooting them, but of course it was opk for us to shoot them!"

"ooh i'm british and the IRA were murdering scum who got what they deserved!"

sick of the búll**** arguments on here by the 800 years brigade and the Empire boys.

Yes lets move on, and while we are at it delete the history that is part of who we are....

• Advertisement

we could do with a strong leader like her

Why? Wouldn't be more humane to beg the Americans to nuke us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Hopefully her death will come as a dire warning to those who think it is cool to expermiment with hard drugs. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Nodin wrote: »

Do you not think it would have been for the families of those innocent soldiers?

Ye don't want immigrants, ye don't want the north. Ye'd probably turn down ice cream or sex if it was offered.
    So yes I'm for immigration control
    Oh look yooooou again
    Quote Quote

Gatling wrote: »
    What's 1916 got to do with it,

They were going to kill and got treated accordingly

Anyways Boddy Sands will shed no tears tonight...

• Advertisement

not yet wrote: »
    Anyways Boddy Sands will shed no tears tonight...

Who

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Bambi wrote: »
    It took 20+ pages to get to gibraltar/1916? A gerry mccabe post must be due in a minute

But still Maggie, eh? She gave us spitting image at least

And who was it that brought Gibraltar up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

They might even have killed some soldiers amongst their victims. The IRA loved the old 'collateral damage'. "Oops, there go some kids."

Do you not think it would have been for the families of those innocent soldiers?

You know how the conflict thing works....?

gallag wrote: »
    And who was it that brought Gibraltar up?
    Me

Her politics might not have been to my liking but i did wonder what the likes of Thatcher would make of the likes to the criminal and dissident republican gangs who seem to be now ruling cities in Ireland and what measures she would take to weed them out because in fairness id say she would come down on them like an absolute ton of bricks.

Though in that case many might argue that the cure would be worse then the disease and that she abused her power during her tenure in Downing Street.

Yes...if you are planting a bomb and get shot, shut the f*ck up whining about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

yes. that's why your precious six counties are still under UK rule...

Anynama141 wrote: »
    Yes...if you are planting a bomb and get shot, shut the f*ck up whining about it.

You seem a bit cranky. Whats wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I wonder how many of the "working" class celebrating her death understand that the state which pays their welfare can afford to do so thanks, in part, to the actions of the lady whose death they're cheering.

If the mines could be run profitably, they'd be running still. The Industrial Revolution is long over and there will never again be the need for vast quantities of unskilled labour.

Each able-bodied man and woman has a choice: educate yourself to the point where you're employable or live on whatever welfare the rest of us are prepared to pay you in the hope that you won't turn to a life of crime.

While I wouldn't agree with everything the woman did, I shudder to think what the UK would be like had she not dragged it out of the unions hands. To the ignorant "Republicans" who think it'd be a great laugh to see the UK a second world country, try think on what state our country would be in were our largest trading partner an economic basket case.

RIP Lady Thatcher

• Advertisement

No, I was referring to you and your "innocent soldiers".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

So you would have been happy if they had of successfully bombed some un expecting squaddies in a foreign land? Terrible comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I hope Roger Ebert gives her a scathing review up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Azure_sky wrote: »
    She's talking to other dictators, such as Stalin, Pol Pot and Hitler right about now I'd reckon.
    How many times were that trio elected to parliament in total? Ya know, by the people and stuff?
    Latchy wrote: »
    Many quotes to sum her up but one that sticks out is

'' She wrecked a large % of the country to make a small % happy '' .

She ruined a lot of industry ,put thousands out of work was only to happy to accept the original official report on the Hillsborough tragedy and described as cold and lacking in empathy .

Meryl Streep portrayed her very well in The Iron Lady .

http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt1007029/
    again, if the above were fact and not myth, she got re-elected to PM twice and served 3 terms. If a large % of the country hated her, that would not have happened (regardless of weak opposition parties).
    First off, there's no luck in it. I'm good at my job and never struggle for work.

I will be taking a day of paid leave, which i am entitled to. I will be one of thousands of English men and women doing the same thing. I will be remembering my neighbour who left two young children as he couldn't bear the thought of not being able to support them. I will remember my best friend's mother who had a heart attack after being laid off because of Thatcherite policy.

What does it have to do with you?
    Wait, you're blaming Margaret Thatcher directly for your neighbours suicides and a womans heart attack now?

When you remove the chip on your shoulder, remember this: unemployment is a source of stress. Stress can lead to physical and mental health problems (of which there is no doubt). But if you're going to blame an individual for these sort of things, where do you stop? We can't go blaming individuals in politics directly for things like this, otherwise every political leader from the beginning of time has blood on their hands for every suicide and heart attack in history.

There will always be unemployment, there will always be stress. By all means, blame the political leader for their management of the economy or policies and vote for someone else. But it's not their "fault". If 1,000 people are laid off tomorrow by Intel, and 2 workers commit suicide, do we blame the company for their deaths? It's such a narrow, misguided, easy target to play the blame game like that.

Your day off work has nothing to do with me, do what you want. But you came on here saying you're taking a day off work in memory of those working class folk who lost their livelihoods by not being able to find work under Thatcher. If you can't see the irony in that, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Sunningdale failed, and she failed totally with NI in general by ceding to Unionists, and inspired even moderate nationalists to turn to violence.

But apart from that, I've liked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Anynama141 wrote: »

Technically you shouldn't be killing unarmed people, combatants or not.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I wonder how(.....)basket case.

RIP Lady Thatcher

The fact that something had to be done and that certain industries had to be dealt with is beyond dispute. However there were more solutions possible than Thatchers.

And were under EU rule

I can send a balaclava if your ready to be fighter

You seem a bit cranky. Whats wrong?
    :pac:

It's not easy trying to explain to Shinners that 'war' means that you can be shot at too. They think it's some sort of one-way process where anyone shooting at the IRA is an outrage.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    Technically you shouldn't be killing unarmed people, combatants or not.

And no "innocent soldiers" either, apparently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement