Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

If Ferrari back Massa while he's ahead of Alonso, I'll have a lot more respect for them. Fair play for keeping him last year though, most people doubted if he'd ever regain his form (myself included).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

how did Alonso end up so far ahead of felipe in Oz.

Also Massa doesn't seem to have any airs or graces, he just quietly gets on with it. He has shown massive mental strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mickdw wrote: »
    Last race of the year, massa driving for the championship comes up behind Alonso. Alonso gets the message.......

Felipe is faster than you!

Justice.

Thats not outside the realms of possibility, the team will support whoever has the best chance of winning. Its up to Massa at this stage, but so far he has been fantastic. He's done remarkably well to get out of the rut he was stuck in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,818 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The thing about Felipe is that he's continuing on the form from the second half of last season. He was superb in Brazil last year and has had a great start to the season so far. Onwards and upwards for Felipe :)

Going retro here. Anyone remember Ricardo Zonta's huge smash at Spa in '99?

5849.jpg

Clip of the crash here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    The thing about Felipe is that he's continuing on the form from the second half of last season. He was superb in Brazil last year and has had a great start to the season so far. Onwards and upwards for Felipe :)

Yes and in an interview with sky, when asked about his great start, he was very quick to point out that he is on a good run since end of last season. Id say its certainly down to sports psychologist and he now has the belief back. Very quick guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Going retro here. Anyone remember Ricardo Zonta's huge smash at Spa in '99?

I remember this well, Jacques Villeneuve and Zonta had dared eachother to take it flat out. Zonta's accident was only a few minutes after the session got restarted following Villenueve's attempt which was a pretty heavy shunt in it's own right.

Wonder what would the reaction to a something like this coming to light nowadays would be. Think Villeneuve also went into a wall with a car failure on the Friday, even in the days of the teams having a spare car there must have been some tired mechanics that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Poor old Ricardo Zonta never really got a fair crack did he? Huge accident in his second race in Brazil 99 that had him sit out a race IIRC.

Better than he looked IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Wasn't he World Sportscar champion before F1? Another decent driver who never got to show his potential in F1.

I remember this well, Jacques Villeneuve and Zonta had dared eachother to take it flat out. Zonta's accident was only a few minutes after the session got restarted following Villenueve's attempt which was a pretty heavy shunt in it's own right.

Wonder what would the reaction to a something like this coming to light nowadays would be. Think Villeneuve also went into a wall with a car failure on the Friday, even in the days of the teams having a spare car there must have been some tired mechanics that weekend.

Yeah, Jacques had a big smash there too, but I think Zonta's one was worse. Both drivers cars overturned in the crashes too.

I wonder did the wooden plank that's attached to the floor touching off the track cause the accidents.
    Wasn't he World Sportscar champion before F1? Another decent driver who never got to show his potential in F1.

He won the FIA GT Championship in 1998 and International F3000 Championship in 1997.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Is my memory playing tricks on me or was he the 'third' driver at McLaren for a while?
    Edit: just saw it was 98 and he turned down a seat with Jordan in 99!!!

I remember back in '99, BAR wanted to run a different liveries on their cars. Lucky Strike on one car, and 555 on the other car. The FIA then said that both cars must have the same livery so both cars ran with a split livery with a zip running between both liveries.

1999bar-1b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I remember back in '99, BAR wanted to run a different liveries on their cars. Lucky Strike on one car, and 555 on the other car. The FIA then said that both cars must have the same livery so both cars ran with a split livery with a zip running between both liveries.
    Individually they were actually nice, but when they had them split (and reversed on the 2nd car) they looked awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They had a test livery that was beautiful, ill try get it.

P990120(1).jpg

Could only find at die cast model of it, but that is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

Gintonious wrote: »
    They had a test livery that was beautiful, ill try get it.

Could only find at die cast model of it, but that is beautiful.

yup, thats nice all right....reminds me of the colour scheme on mondial motorcyles and an alternative colorscheme that came with the mv agusta f41000 motorcycles a little.

I found a pic of the two BAR liveries that they wanted to run in '99:

b3853b5b31_84349348_o2.jpg

And in 2004, BAR ran with a 555 livery at the Chinese GP:

112509.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

They should have allowed different liveries. Sometimes it can be very difficult to tell which driver is which. Even some of them use similar helmets like Hamilton and Rosberg at Mercedes which makes it even harder to differentiate team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Bernie wanted to differentiate F1 from Champcar which was at its peak at the time. Where you couldn't tell who were teammates easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Any body able to help out here, i have the transcripts and all but was wondering would it be possible to watch the post race press conference from the malaysian gp (where vettel apologises) online anywhere, can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Old Perry wrote: »
    Any body able to help out here, i have the transcripts and all but was wondering would it be possible to watch the post race press conference from the malaysian gp (where vettel apologises) online anywhere, can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Thanks.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/formula-1/8594272/vettel-apologises-to-webber

"Multi 21 Seb"

"I wasn't aware"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Speaking of Multi 21, anyone see unlap's new range of t-shirts and mugs? :pac:

he-who-mens-white_1_grande.jpg?8091

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Speaking of Multi 21, anyone see unlap's new range of t-shirts and mugs? :pac:

he-who-mens-white_1_grande.jpg?8091

love it

It's a pity the three week break came straight after the Webber/Vettel incident. Tempers will probably have cooled a bit by the time China rolls around.

I wonder is there anything in the rumour of Kimi going to Red Bull next season? Dietrich Mateschitz seems to be keen on it anyway if Webber decides to leave at end of this season.

It could just be a ploy to tell Webber that the seat is there for him again next year if he plays the team game and doesn't try to get revenge on Vettel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I don't think a guy with a record like Kimi's would go to Red Bull and become a #2 driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I still think Vettel will leave RB at the end of the season. Kimi with JEV or Bianchi would be a nice lineup at Red Bull. Kimi in particular would suit the Red Bull brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,951 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And in 2004, BAR ran with a 555 livery at the Chinese GP:

112509.jpg

Only thing wrong with that car is the rims are silver, they should be Gold coloured.

Article about when Nigel Mansell was at McLaren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Article about when Nigel Mansell was at McLaren.
    Ah Nigel Mansell, he just didn't know when to quit. Was it true that he tested for Jordan in 1996?

• Advertisement

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Ah Nigel Mansell, he just didn't know when to quit. Was it true that he tested for Jordan in 1996?

He did indeed. He did one and a half days testing with Jordan.

nnuu7p.jpg

Advertisement