Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

mickdw wrote: »
    Dont forget him moving to Mclaren in 97 and then mclaren having untouchable car for 98 & 99.

It was a decent car but Schu should have won the title in 1998. The Spa accident with a lapped DC cost him it.
    aphex™ wrote: »
    What's Red Bull Technology about? I presume Newey working for 'Red Bull Technology' is not in any way a method of getting around resource restrictions? Anybody?
    Grim. wrote: »
    that's exactly what it is
    ottostreet wrote: »
    If that was the case, why can't Toro Rosso move up the order?

Torro Rosso are the test team for the actual budget.
    They made hard work of 98, but as far as my memory serves me they lost the 'second' brake pedal after the second race which I'd say was a massive contribution in making them so fast at the end of 97, and the first two races in 98.

From 99 on, they seemed to lose reliability and stability on the car but I still think Mika would have won in 99 if Michael didn't have his accident. The standard of driving from almost everyone was absolute muck from Silverstone on.

Schu would have won in 1999 but for the leg break. He dominated with ease on his return. He let Irvine win Malaysia and Hakkinen win in Japan to stop Irvine winning the championship.

He missed 6 races and would only have needed 20 points from those 6 races to win the championship.
    astrofluff wrote: »
    Considering the skill that Kimi has with the Lotus, instead of Grosjean, who would you think would be a good driver partner Kimi at the Lotus team? .

Take Sutil. Swop Grosjean with Force India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Schu would have won in 1999 but for the leg break. He dominated with ease on his return. He let Irvine win Malaysia and Hakkinen win in Japan to stop Irvine winning the championship.

He missed 6 races and would only have needed 20 points from those 6 races to win the championship.

He let Hakkinen win in Japan :confused:

He let... Hakkinen win in Japan to stop Irvine winning the championship.
    Really? Irvine has never seemed to have a problem with being no. 2 at Ferrari for those years but I would've thought he'd have said something about Schumi doing that if he thought it for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

wasn't that the race where Ferrari forgot irvine's 4th wheel at a pitstop? Have on my head the time loss cost him the race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

overshoot wrote: »
    wasn't that the race where Ferrari forgot irvine's 4th wheel at a pitstop? Have on my head the time loss cost him the race

No that was at the Nurburgring at the third last race of the year. Irvine ended up finishing seventh, after putting in a cracking final stint where I think he was only a couple of seconds behind Hakkinen and Gene and some points. If Irvine had have finished fifth or indeed sixth he would have gone to Japan five points ahead of Mika and not four. If this had been the case he would have only needed to finish second to win the title. As it was he ran out of time in the Nurburgring and wasnt fast enough in Japan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

frostie500 wrote: »
    No that was at the Nurburgring at the third last race of the year.

1999 European GP at the Nurburgring. That was some race.

MS came back in Sepang and was 1 second clear in qually, he let Irvine past after a few laps, and then later on in the race MS ended up ahead again, he had to slow down again to let Irvine pass again, after the race 2 Ferraris were disqualified for bargeboards.

For Japan MS was on pole again by .4 sec.
    Dc held up Irv for a good while, pushing Irv 1 minute behind Hakk, then DC went off and broke his front wing, pitted and came out in front of MS and held him up until he retired. MS was quite content to sit in 2nd place, ferrari would win constructors, there was no way MS was gonna let Irvine be the 1st ferrari drivers champion in 21 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Just to get back on about this year :) With McLaren down the pack, Matt Summer casts his eye on what is happening at the team. Wonder if they they use the component that was inverted during car setup for Jerez, would their pace seemingly reappear.

MS came back in Sepang and was 1 second clear in qually, he let Irvine past after a few laps, and then later on in the race MS ended up ahead again, he had to slow down again to let Irvine pass again, after the race 2 Ferraris were disqualified for bargeboards.

For Japan MS was on pole again by .4 sec.
    Dc held up Irv for a good while, pushing Irv 1 minute behind Hakk, then DC went off and broke his front wing, pitted and came out in front of MS and held him up until he retired. MS was quite content to sit in 2nd place, ferrari would win constructors, there was no way MS was gonna let Irvine be the 1st ferrari drivers champion in 21 years.
    If remember right hakkinen passed Schumi either at the start or at the first stop and led comfortably for most of the race. It's still a bit of a leap to say that he deliberately undermined the teams chance of a drivers title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Just to get back on about this year :) [/URL]

I know what you mean because this is the 2013 thread but does anyone think we should just call this the F1 general discussion thread not specific to any year?

I quite like these trips down memory lane

• Advertisement

christy c wrote: »
    I know what you mean because this is the 2013 thread but does anyone think we should just call this the F1 general discussion thread not specific to any year?

Yea we should, each race has it's own thread, and it's nice to remember watching those races from the 70's when I read the race reports now.

christy c wrote: »

I do like reliving the past :) but could we have a memory lane thread :D

Just saying....

I do like reliving the past :) but could we have a memory lane thread :D

Just saying....
    Agreed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

frostie500 wrote: »
    No that was at the Nurburgring at the third last race of the year. Irvine ended up finishing seventh, after putting in a cracking final stint where I think he was only a couple of seconds behind Hakkinen and Gene and some points. If Irvine had have finished fifth or indeed sixth he would have gone to Japan five points ahead of Mika and not four. If this had been the case he would have only needed to finish second to win the title. As it was he ran out of time in the Nurburgring and wasnt fast enough in Japan
    ah my bad... i play the i was 10 card for my excuse!

Marussia and Caterham held merger talks.

From reading the article, I think if Marussia had KERS last year, they would have finished ahead of Caterham in the Constructors Championship. If Marussia did, they would be £10m richer and have a budget of £30m instead of £20m. Losing £10m is a massive blow to Marussia.

Back in 1993, Scuderia Italia merged with Minardi so Minardi continue in F1.

Nick Fry steps down as CEO of Mercedes AMG Petronas. Toto Wolff will take over the roles of Nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 superoil

Hey everyone. As a fan of f1 for over 20 years I've recently begun to get an itch to go to a grand prix. I'm interested to hear if anybody hereas been to a grand prix and if so, whats it like?
    My main dilemma is that there is a large cost involved in a f1 weekend, and I'm not sure if it is worth it to see 20+ cars whizz by every couple of mins.
    Any advice would be great.
    Superoil

superoil wrote: »
    Hey everyone. As a fan of f1 for over 20 years I've recently begun to get an itch to go to a grand prix. I'm interested to hear if anybody hereas been to a grand prix and if so, whats it like?
    My main dilemma is that there is a large cost involved in a f1 weekend, and I'm not sure if it is worth it to see 20+ cars whizz by every couple of mins.
    Any advice would be great.
    Superoil
    If you're a fan, you'll love it. Its definitely worth it and with the GP2, GP3 and Porsche supercup, you'll get your money's worth whether its for the day or the weekend.

What I've found was that the most expensive part was the tickets, we were able to sort out accommodation through a friend pretty cheap and used public transport to and from the track.

Which race are you thinking of going to and maybe you'll get more specific advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lulubenny

If you love watching F1 on the telly then you will really enjoy watching it live.

I was at the GP in Abu Dhabi back in November - it was my first one and I loved it. After having watched GP's since I was a child, actually being there as unreal. The roar of the cars as they pass sent shivers down my spine. It took a little while to get used to the noise, even with the ear plugs in, but by the end of the first practice, it wasn't a problem!
    As for only seeing the cars passing every so often, it's not really an issue because as the race develops, there are cars passing you by all the time and sometimes you end up watching battles for lower places and not just the top drivers.

I can't comment on any other venue but Abu Dhabi was very well organised, although the food could be better! There's also much more to see at a GP than just F1.

The only down side for me after attending my first grand prix .... it just made me want to see more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

This popped into my mailbox today which looks like a decent deal. Didn't look at it in much detail myself to see what exactly is part of it though.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/getaways/Top-Tourisme/19283100/.anonymous

• Advertisement

Tonight on BBC4 at 8:30pm - Motor Racing at the BBC. Will be repeated on this Tuesday morning at 1.10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

That reminds me, BBC radio 4 did a programme about the Hunt/Lauda rivalry in 1976. Only caught 5 mins but it seemed decent enough.
    Listen here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rfy5f

Massa confident over this years title chances.

He has a had a good start to the season so far, 4th and 5th place in the first two races. If he starts to beat Alonso on a regular basis and the car is good enough he may have a chance, but I think it is unlikely.

I would like to see Felipe win some races this season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kartincolin

I think Felipe`s renaissance has rattled Fernando`s cage a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'd love to see Massa win a championship after he was robbed of it a couple of years back.

Mercedes. They had a better start to the season than I thought they would. Both of their drivers in the points in Malaysia. Car is good on the tyres and although there is a long way to go, they have had a good start to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Hamilton seems to reckon that the Merc is now the second quickest car. I'm not sure. I'd say Ferrari myself.
    As for Massa, I'm delighted he's come out of his slump. Apparently he was/is seeing a psychologist. Fair play, 4 races in a row he's out-qualyified Alonso, he'll surely win a race this season if the form continues. He'll never win a title with Alonso still there though, bar some kind of Irvine/Schumacher situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

ratedR wrote: »
    He'll never win a title with Alonso still there though, bar some kind of Irvine/Schumacher situation.

I'm not so sure. Irvine was never in the same league as Schumacher not even close. Massa before the accident was a bloody quick driver, coming within a hairs breadth of the championship in 2008 proves this. If this is indeed the long awaited return of the Massa we seen before the accident he could be be right there for any run of bad luck Alonso has. All it would take would be a couple of Alonso bad results/retirements late in the season for Ferrari to have no choice but to back Massa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

All it would take would be a couple of Alonso bad results/retirements late in the season for Ferrari to have no choice but to back Massa.

Exactly. There's no room for error now with Alonso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

EnterNow wrote: »
    Exactly. There's no room for error now with Alonso

Last race of the year, massa driving for the championship comes up behind Alonso. Alonso gets the message.......

Felipe is faster than you!

Justice.

Advertisement