Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I remember watching this at the time and thinking that it was the end of F1 in North America. It was the biggest farce of any sport I'd ever seen.

Well they did have the 2002 race finish as a warm up farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kartincolin

Fantastic race to start the season. Raikkonen has to be considered a major threat for the championship this season after his convincing performance in Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,818 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Two DRS zones for this weekends Malaysian GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

According to the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21853491?utm_source=theracingline.net&utm_medium=twitter) Webber's poor start was because he had to reboot his ECU on the parade lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Via Ian Ferguson on twitter:
    #F1 #SEPANG Familiar broad set-up: temps 29-33C, showers/storms possible all 3 days in afternoons, albeit current bias greatest on Sat (60%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I used to long for rain on race day in the past but not anymore. Inevitably it now causes huge delays and increases the possibility of the race being abandoned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

News out is that Seb V has signed until 2016 with RB

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Yep, there were cars that Schumacher was lapping for a second time. In dry races.

Does anyone remember the 1992 season where Williams dominated qual by up to 2 seconds a lap. Most of the races they won that year they lapped up to 3rd or 4th place, with some cars lapped 5 times
    or
    1988 when Mclaren would have won ALL the races but for their drivers taking each other out.
    I remember watching this at the time and thinking that it was the end of F1 in North America. It was the biggest farce of any sport I'd ever seen.

That was a farce. One of the races I didn't watch after lap 2..

1988 when Mclaren would have won ALL the races but for their drivers taking each other out.

The only race in 1988 that McLaren didn't win was the Italian GP as Senna retired when he tangled with Jean Louis Schlesser. Prost retired in the same race too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

LIGHTNING wrote: »

Did you ever seen the football match where the two teams only needed a draw to qualify for the tournament so they just passed the ball around and didn't even pretend to play a match? That was a bigger joke in my view. Curses I cant remember who played in the game but I remember that FIFA brought out the rule that all games must kick off at the same time from then on.
    Austria vs Germany if I remember right. Both are neck and neck in terms of shambles in my opinion.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    The only race in 1988 that McLaren didn't win was the Italian GP as Senna retired when he tangled with Jean Louis Schlesser. Prost retired in the same race too.

Yeah Prost had a misfire, he turned his boost up to full to chase Senna, he knew his car was fcuked.

Anyway Berger won and there was much rejoicing in Italy.

from wiki

Many people in the F1 Paddock believed that Prost, knowing he wouldn't finish, hoped to make Senna use too much fuel in his bid to keep ahead, something which could have consequences for Senna later in the race if he was forced to back off to try to finish.

Prost continued to chase Senna despite the misfire, his full boost run saw him able to stay within 5 seconds of the Brazilian. By lap 30 he had reduced Senna's lead to only 2 seconds but as he went by the pits at the end of lap 30 the misfire got worse and by lap 35 had been passed by Berger and Alboreto and was heading for the pits and his first mechanical retirement of the season.

It was also generally thought that Senna had used too much fuel in the first half of the race in his bid to keep in front of Prost and that was why the Ferraris were catching him rapidly at the end with Berger only 5 seconds behind when Senna and Schlesser collided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

News out is that Seb V has signed until 2016 with RB

Does anyone remember the 1992 season where Williams dominated qual by up to 2 seconds a lap. Most of the races they won that year they lapped up to 3rd or 4th place, with some cars lapped 5 times
    or

That was a farce. One of the races I didn't watch after lap 2..
    That was the Williams with the self-levelling suspension wasn't it?
    Remember actually McLaren in 1998 or 1999 also, there was even a cartoon in one of the papers with DC and Hakkinen sitting in the grass having a picnic, and DC saying "We better pack up and get going Mikka, they're only 15 laps behind us now!".
    Sometimes F1 can be a bit predictable alright!! But last 5 years in my opinion have been all fairly excellent!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    That was the Williams with the self-levelling suspension wasn't it?

FW14B featured a semi automatic gearbox, active suspension, traction control and for a brief period anti-lock brakes.

Guess the designer

Newey

FW14B featured a semi automatic gearbox, active suspension, traction control and for a brief period anti-lock brakes.

Guess the designer

Newey

While Newey was at Williams, they won the Constructors Championship in '92, '93, '94, '96 and '97 and helped Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve to Drivers Championships. Amazing.

And on the subject of driver aids, I read that a variant of the Benetton B193, the Benetton B193C had rear wheel steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

While Newey was at Williams, they won the Constructors Championship in '92, '93, '94, '96 and '97 and helped Nigel Mansell, Alain Prost, Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve to Drivers Championships. Amazing.

Who needs a Schuie when you've got a Newey!

frostie500 wrote: »
    Who needs a Schuie when you've got a Newey!

Or better still, Schuey driving a Newey!

And on the subject of driver aids, I read that a variant of the Benetton B193, the Benetton B193C had rear wheel steering.

There was so many stories about all Beneton car's from 92 to 94. Secret codes, illegal traction, launch control 4 wheel steering etc.

MS did a fab job in 92 and 93 with the b192 / b193 and the B193b.

The 92 season was a good one. BBC had every race

There was so many stories about all Beneton car's from 92 to 94. Secret codes, illegal traction, launch control 4 wheel steering etc.

MS did a fab job in 92 and 93 with the b192 / b193 and the B193b.

The 92 season was a good one. BBC had every race

He was very good in 92. I think it was either in 92/93 that Benetton began to use semi-automatic gear boxes.

To finish third in his first full season in an underpowered Benetton was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dont forget him moving to Mclaren in 97 and then mclaren having untouchable car for 98 & 99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

What's Red Bull Technology about? I presume Newey working for 'Red Bull Technology' is not in any way a method of getting around resource restrictions? Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

aphex™ wrote: »
    I presume Newey working for 'Red Bull Technology' is not in any way a method of getting around resource restrictions? Anybody?

that's exactly what it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

If that was the case, why can't Toro Rosso move up the order?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

mickdw wrote: »

Dont forget him moving to Mclaren in 97 and then mclaren having untouchable car for 98 & 99.

I thought it was fairly touchable in 99, Irvine wasn't too far off and if Schu didn't have the accident would probably have won.

Also 98 wasn't a runaway either

1998, the McLaren was much quicker at some circuits, but they seem to be the same kind of team they are now, ineffectual and downright shambolic at times. Together with Mika retiring with mechanical issues in Imola and Montreal, and crashing at Spa, as well as terrible bending of the rules for Ferrari at Silverstone, McLaren made life tough for themselves. Then in 99, Mika suffered again with mechanical issues while leading at Silverstone with his wheel falling off, DC spinning Mika in Austria and damaging his car at Spa, as well as Mika spinning and crashing at Imola & Monza... McLaren throwing championships away is nothing new.

As big a fan I am of Hakkinen, Schumacher would have won 99 if Mika hadn't been so inconsistent.

christy c wrote: »
    I thought it was fairly touchable in 99, Irvine wasn't too far off and if Schu didn't have the accident would probably have won.

For the first two races of the 1998 season, the McLaren's pretty much demolished the rest of the field. McLaren were on the Bridgestone tyres while Ferrari were on Goodyear tyres.

The Goodyear rubber was no match for the Bridgestone rubber in the first two races, but by the third race of the season in Argentina, the Goodyear tyres were more competitive.

For the first two races of the 1998 season, the McLaren's pretty much demolished the rest of the field. McLaren were on the Bridgestone tyres while Ferrari were on Goodyear tyres.

The Goodyear rubber was no match for the Bridgestone rubber in the first two races, but by the third race of the season in Argentina, the Goodyear tyres were more competitive.

Yes I remember those two races clearly, 15 years ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

christy c wrote: »

Fair enough but newey goes to Mclaren and if I remember, out of the box at the first race of 98, it was so far ahead that it was never in doubt but that one or other mclaren driver was going to win, and they did win the 2 driver championships

mickdw wrote: »

Fair enough but newey goes to Mclaren and if I remember, out of the box at the first race of 98, it was so far ahead that it was never in doubt but that one or other mclaren driver was going to win, and they did win the 2 driver championships

For sure. I don't think anyone's saying he not extremely talented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

They made hard work of 98, but as far as my memory serves me they lost the 'second' brake pedal after the second race which I'd say was a massive contribution in making them so fast at the end of 97, and the first two races in 98.

From 99 on, they seemed to lose reliability and stability on the car but I still think Mika would have won in 99 if Michael didn't have his accident. The standard of driving from almost everyone was absolute muck from Silverstone on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Considering the skill that Kimi has with the Lotus, instead of Grosjean, who would you think would be a good driver partner Kimi at the Lotus team? Forget about a number 2 driver, but to have an equal status driver - who would you choose if you had you pick of the field? I'd love to see someone like Massa in there. It;s be interesting to see how he'd get on in the Lotus.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Fernando. Just to see the mind games from Fernando backfire spectacularly as Kimi fails to even notice them, thus ensuring Fernando gets more and more wound up, resulting in self destruction.

Advertisement