Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of people who never marry?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Your initial post, although an exaggerated example, read as a generalisation that those who struggle to find a relationship have something wrong with them, even if it is not necessarily something obvious or what they might think themselves.

Well you read it that way Miss Lockhart, but I hadn't meant it as a generalisation, merely a comment based on my experience and that of my friends and people I've met who as you put it, give out about being single. In my experience, the people I've met who give out about being single never stop to think that the problem might just be of their own making, for whatever reason they may not be able to see for themselves. It was more a comment on their reluctance to even acknowledge this as a possibility that I was making a point about, that sometimes the reasons for their "eternal singledom" just might not be the the most obvious reason that THEY might think of first.

Your further post that such single people should work on themselves as people and are to blame for being single seems to confirm that you believe these people have something that needs to be fixed.

Well there IS something that needs fixing if they are eternally single if not by choice. In my experience I have met a lot of people who refuse to acknowledge this as a possible reason, preferring to suggest that it's everyone else has the problem, "because it sure as hell couldn't be anything they might be doing wrong".

I posted to reject that generalisation as not having much merit. Not just for my single friends, who are certainly not exceptional, , but for the majority of long term single people.

Well then all you have done in taking me up wrong is added fuel to the generalisation you claim to refute (which I never made btw, you did!), is that yourself and your friends are perfect examples of the type of people I mentioned who refuse to acknowledge that the problem of their eternal singledom not of their own choosing, might just actually be a problem created and perpetuated by them, given their refusal to acknowledge that they might just be the cause of their own eternal singledom, and not those who choose not to date them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

No I don't think they are weird.

I have had partners. Some made me happy one miserable.

I think some people like their own ways. Usually they have close friendships etc.

Remember they do have relationships with people...just not romantic ones.

What matters isare THEY happy with it. Is it choice ?

If it is a deliberate choice that's fine if it is not then that is unfortunate and they should do something about it.

I am single right now again after seeing someone briefly.

One thing I will say is I DO this Irish people date less than Americans for example and get into habits of what they do. It is good to try something different.

But I know lots of single people ..one close family friend has been married and has kids and grand kids divorced and now lives single busy and happy.

I know lots of people who have kids and were in relationships who are singe now and happy.

And if someone has never had a partner and they are truly happy and do not wonder then whats the harm?

I do think though if they never had a partner ever then suddenly got one it would be a learning curve but humans can always learn new things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Well you read it that way Miss Lockhart, but I hadn't meant it as a generalisation, merely a comment based on my experience and that of my friends and people I've met who as you put it, give out about being single. In my experience, the people I've met who give out about being single never stop to think that the problem might just be of their own making, for whatever reason they may not be able to see for themselves. It was more a comment on their reluctance to even acknowledge this as a possibility that I was making a point about, that sometimes the reasons for their "eternal singledom" just might not be the the most obvious reason that THEY might think of first.

Well there IS something that needs fixing if they are eternally single if not by choice. In my experience I have met a lot of people who refuse to acknowledge this as a possible reason, preferring to suggest that it's everyone else has the problem, "because it sure as hell couldn't be anything they might be doing wrong".

Well then all you have done in taking me up wrong is added fuel to the generalisation you claim to refute (which I never made btw, you did!), is that yourself and your friends are perfect examples of the type of people I mentioned who refuse to acknowledge that the problem of their eternal singledom not of their own choosing, might just actually be a problem created and perpetuated by them, given their refusal to acknowledge that they might just be the cause of their own eternal singledom, and not those who choose not to date them.

Look, if you didn't mean it as a generalisation then fair enough. I still strongly disagee with your assertion that something needs fixing. There are people like that, but they are not the majority in my opinion. Nobody ever said the people themselves haven't looked at whether there is a problem inherent in their own behaviour or attitudes - I merely expressed my opinion that my experience of these people, as an ex of some of them, is that there is nothing about them that needs fixing. Neither did I suggest there was any problem with those who aren't interested in dating them.

And as for your inclusion of myself in the group of those suffering eternal singldom not of their own choosing, that's simply your own invention.

Look, if you didn't mean it as a generalisation then fair enough. I still strongly disagee with your assertion that something needs fixing. There are people like that, but they are not the majority in my opinion. Nobody ever said the people themselves haven't looked at whether there is a problem inherent in their own behaviour or attitudes - I merely expressed my opinion that my experience of these people, as an ex of some of them, is that there is nothing about them that needs fixing. Neither did I suggest there was any problem with those who aren't interested in dating them.

Well if there isn't something that needs fixing, and there isn't a problem, then my original assertion still stands- they don't have a right to give out about something that doesn't exist, according to you and your friends.

I think you took to arguing with my post for the sake of argument tbh when none of it according to your own assertion, even applied to or was in any way relevant to you and your friends.
    And as for your inclusion of myself in the group of those suffering eternal singldom not of their own choosing, that's simply your own invention.

It was yourself Miss Lockhart who included yourself in your group of friends, not me, I wasn't the one trying to put words in anyone's mouth at all by claiming they had some sort of an issue with single people who haven't been able to find someone to co-habit and raise children with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Well if there isn't something that needs fixing, and there isn't a problem, then my original assertion still stands- they don't have a right to give out about something that doesn't exist, according to you and your friends.

I think you took to arguing with my post for the sake of argument tbh when none of it according to your own assertion, even applied to or was in any way relevant to you and your friends.

It was yourself Miss Lockhart who included yourself in your group of friends, not me, I wasn't the one trying to put words in anyone's mouth at all by claiming they had some sort of an issue with single people who haven't been able to find someone to co-habit and raise children with.

You are entitled to your opinion but I can assure you I'm not arguing for the sake of it. I disagree with you. That's it.

And yes, of course I am part of my group of friends. But I am not reluctantly single and at no point did I say I was.

• Advertisement

Many things factor into this equation. First of all, how much success have you had compared to what you would have had without this AS? Second, what was different about the environment you live and lived in compared to Ranicand's? Nobody here actually knows your situation, your experiences and the snowball effect of them, your actual social ability in real life, what you look like etc. etc. It's possible that in Ranicand's case, the AS is indeed a crutch and in your case it is not due to differences in environment and life. It's ignorant and arrogant to immediately assume that when we succeed where others don't it's because we earned it or worked harder.

Get down off that horse.
    I also wonder how many of the 20 people that thanked you even have the description of AS. They seem to agree with the message but I bet none of them have much of a clue.

I said get down!

You berate people here for what you see as making assumptions, yet you're not averse to making a fair few yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

She's nearly forty RIGHT NOW, when her average life expectancy is 85. When she was born, her average life expectancy at the time WAS only 40. Now by the time she gets to 80, medical advances by then will ensure that she has at least another 40 years on the clock.

Or... she could get hit by a bus tomorrow. I'm not sure your theory on the future of medicine holds much merit either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnny smith

Get down off that horse.
    Elaborate. You quoted three things. The first one should really say nobody knows both of their situations. Nobody has followed both around their whole lives, have they? I thought not. I don't see your problem with the other two things you quoted.

I said get down!

You berate people here for what you see as making assumptions, yet you're not averse to making a fair few yourself.

Incorrect. What I said there was based on what I said in the last paragraph. Also, I said I wondered how many had the description of AS and I said "I bet" none of them have a clue. I acknowledge there may be one or two, but those one or two probably don't have a clue either.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Or... she could get hit by a bus tomorrow. I'm not sure your theory on the future of medicine holds much merit either.

I said life expectancy, nobody can determine these things for certain. Some people will argue over anything.

As for my theories on the future of medicine, again if we look at what medicine has achieved in the last forty years and how far it's come, it has enabled people to live longer, healthier, and happier lives, giving them plenty more time to meet someone to share that happiness with, should they wish to do so. There isn't as much pressure as there was forty years ago to be married off, pop a couple of children, and then pop your clogs having lived a largely unfulfilled life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

great thread and its nice to know im not the only one that cant seem to form relationships.

its strange really but throughout my life so far ive struggled to bond with people and its only in the last few years having left school and having lost contact with the few people I was friendly with that its started to really bother me.

its probably mostly down to me but when youre stuck in a rut and don't really know how to change then its hard to get out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Love2u

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40; maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary.

Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself, either. Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's.

The most important thing is not to forget the sunscreen.

Lol, I love it!

sonic85 wrote: »
    great thread and its nice to know im not the only one that cant seem to form relationships.

its strange really but throughout my life so far ive struggled to bond with people and its only in the last few years having left school and having lost contact with the few people I was friendly with that its started to really bother me.

its probably mostly down to me but when youre stuck in a rut and don't really know how to change then its hard to get out

It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about what happens to you that counts! You create your destiny, make some goals for yourself and write them down, join groups, clubs, etc.. Take the plunge. You will meet people this way, and you will surprised how many other people are in the same boat. Not every one is expected to be married. Learn to love being single and take it from there.

Love2u wrote: »
    It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about what happens to you that counts! You create your destiny, make some goals for yourself and write them down, join groups, clubs, etc.. Take the plunge. You will meet people this way, and you will surprised how many other people are in the same boat. Not every one is expected to be married. Learn to love being single and take it from there.

cheers but for me anyway its not really that simple. Im rubbish socially and literally cant create conversation in any way shape or form. ive met loads of people but what good is that when you cant say more than a couple of sentences to them?

I couldn't give a toss about marriage to be honest its not something that ill ever be in a hurry to do.

Elaborate. You quoted three things. The first one should really say nobody knows both of their situations. Nobody has followed both around their whole lives, have they? I thought not. I don't see your problem with the other two things you quoted.

I'm not in the mood to play pedantic semantics with you tbh, I emphasised points in your post where you made assumptions and then berated others for making assumptions.

You know as much about anyone here as anyone else.
    Incorrect. What I said there was based on what I said in the last paragraph. Also, I said I wondered how many had the description of AS and I said "I bet" none of them have a clue. I acknowledge there may be one or two, but those one or two probably don't have a clue either.

So which is it? None, one or two, or none? Try walking into a bookies and see what odds you'll get trying to place a bet like that. I'd say the odds are fairly good you'd be kicked out on your hole the same way as the poster that tried to wedge in the aspergers nonsense, and when that got dismissed they ignored the mod note and spun it round to try and wedge in possible sexual abuse as a reason for a person's inability to form relationships. By then though it was too late for anyone to take them seriously so nobody bothered biting.

A persecution complex is not a disability, though the fact it stems from insecurity can indeed be an inhibiting factor in forming relationships, a hell of a lot more inhibitive than aspergers at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Irish Musician

Some people wait for the right person,some people cheat on the right person,some people marry the wrong person,some people find the right person and some people don't. Nothing weird or sad.its just life :)

cheers but for me anyway its not really that simple. Im rubbish socially and literally cant create conversation in any way shape or form. ive met loads of people but what good is that when you cant say more than a couple of sentences to them?

I'm rubbish socially myself sonics tbh, I'm chronically shy in social situations and still struggle to make eye contact with people, though I've been pulled up on it more times than I can remember. I'd be the very same as you too in that I'm not a very good conversation carrier, and often I might start off a sentence, get half way through it, and trail off because in that split second I'll have lost the confidence it took me to start the sentence in the first place. That then combined with the WTF stares and you have a recipe for "ground swallow me up now please" right there.

But then there's the odd time I meet someone and I click with them and I'm comfortable enough to let my guard down and I find myself able to speak more naturally (though that too has it's own detrimentalities because when I let my guard down, I'm liable to say the first thing that comes off the top of my head, which in itself is never a good thing and has caused many a WTF reaction!).

You say what good is it that you can string a couple of sentences together when talking to someone, I say it's bloody great that you can do that, as I understand the tremendous effort it takes for a socially awkward and chronically shy person to put themselves out there and try to appear what they perceive to be "normal". It's a facade that literally sucks the energy out of you and can leave you both mentally and physically drained.

But! You have to keep making the effort, or it'll only get harder and harder to put yourself out there, and easier to withdraw into yourself until you drop into your comfort zone where you're not interrupted by anybody and nobody takes any interest in you and that's just the way you like it, because now you don't have to expend the same energy and effort to put yourself out there.

The problem with the above though is that by chance if someone were to take an interest in you, you've gotten so used to your own personal space that you don't want to make the effort to meet that person even half way, and the other person will naturally soon get tired of doing all the running and you'll go back into your comfort zone, reassuring yourself with the idea that "ahh sure I knew that was going to happen anyway!", until it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy, and you become reassured by how right you are each time it happens.

Until you can find the motivation within yourself to break that cycle, it's one you are indeed going to recycle over and over yet again in perpetuity of your single status.

I couldn't give a toss about marriage to be honest its not something that ill ever be in a hurry to do.

That's more sensible than socially awkward tbh! :D

I'm rubbish socially myself sonics tbh, I'm chronically shy in social situations and still struggle to make eye contact with people, though I've been pulled up on it more times than I can remember. I'd be the very same as you too in that I'm not a very good conversation carrier, and often I might start off a sentence, get half way through it, and trail off because in that split second I'll have lost the confidence it took me to start the sentence in the first place. That then combined with the WTF stares and you have a recipe for "ground swallow me up now please" right there.

But then there's the odd time I meet someone and I click with them and I'm comfortable enough to let my guard down and I find myself able to speak more naturally (though that too has it's own detrimentalities because when I let my guard down, I'm liable to say the first thing that comes off the top of my head, which in itself is never a good thing and has caused many a WTF reaction!).

You say what good is it that you can string a couple of sentences together when talking to someone, I say it's bloody great that you can do that, as I understand the tremendous effort it takes for a socially awkward and chronically shy person to put themselves out there and try to appear what they perceive to be "normal". It's a facade that literally sucks the energy out of you and can leave you both mentally and physically drained.

But! You have to keep making the effort, or it'll only get harder and harder to put yourself out there, and easier to withdraw into yourself until you drop into your comfort zone where you're not interrupted by anybody and nobody takes any interest in you and that's just the way you like it, because now you don't have to expend the same energy and effort to put yourself out there.

The problem with the above though is that by chance if someone were to take an interest in you, you've gotten so used to your own personal space that you don't want to make the effort to meet that person even half way, and the other person will naturally soon get tired of doing all the running and you'll go back into your comfort zone, reassuring yourself with the idea that "ahh sure I knew that was going to happen anyway!", until it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy, and you become reassured by how right you are each time it happens.

Until you can find the motivation within yourself to break that cycle, it's one you are indeed going to recycle over and over yet again in perpetuity of your single status.

That's more sensible than socially awkward tbh! :D

i can relate to loads of that to be honest! the bit in bold is spot on.

confidence is a problem but if i do start talking to someone my mind more often than not goes completely blank and i cant think of anything to say. its actually fairly ridiculous the amount of times ive gotten chatting only for topics to dry up and then i go silent.

that's what gets me down most and now i just don't bother talking to anybody if i can help it - bar saying hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

mainly that they prefer sex to relationships

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

IM0 wrote: »
    mainly that they prefer sex to relationships

I'm confused, you mean "sex to marriage", no? because a person can have relationships without ever getting married-like me ;)

And I like sex and relationships, it's not either/or. If I'm in a fulfilling relationship the quality of my sex life is enhanced, not compromised :confused:

i can relate to loads of that to be honest! the bit in bold is spot on.

confidence is a problem but if i do start talking to someone my mind more often than not goes completely blank and i cant think of anything to say. its actually fairly ridiculous the amount of times ive gotten chatting only for topics to dry up and then i go silent.

that's what gets me down most and now i just don't bother talking to anybody if i can help it - bar saying hello

Ohh that still happens to me, I could be sorting through a thousand different things in my head at once while having a conversation at the same time and then the whole thing just drops- my mind goes blank, and I get the shifty eyes thinking "Fùck! Where was I? What was I even saying?" :pac:

It's bloody terrible, and understandably disconcerting, but if you surround yourself with the right people, they can be very understanding about it too, because they get used to your thought processes and can help you out and prompt when they know you're having difficulty (it's worse trying to communicate with a friend of mine who's deaf using sign language, more times I end up just typing messages out on my phone because I can't think of the proper signs to say what I want to say and the phone is faster!).

I wouldn't let such a small thing though (I understand it's a big thing for you sonic, but for me it's about playing it down, because the more I focus on the problem, the more it grows like a zit!) hold you back from at least making the effort in small steps, to try and overcome the issue, to try and help people to get a better understanding of you, because Sonic everyone has their own little quirks, foibles, and insecurities and most people have developed methods for coping with them, so that the rest of who they are as a person comes to the fore more than the one impediment they feel that holds them back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Greentopia wrote: »
    I'm confused, you mean "sex to marriage", no? because a person can have relationships without ever getting married-like me ;)

And I like sex and relationships, it's not either/or. If I'm in a fulfilling relationship the quality of my sex life is enhanced, not compromised :confused:

well if you stick with the one person it is, thats why I said relationship and not marriage ;)

to most people relationship and marriage means sex only with that person, but to others thats not the case though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

well if you stick with the one person it is, thats why I said relationship and not marriage ;)

It is compromised? not necessarily. Plenty of people have fulfilling sex with the same partner they've been with for years.
    It depends on what you mean by compromised though I guess. If variety and excitement and that feeling you get in the first year or so of a relationship when you can't keep your hands off each other is most important then I guess you'll be less likely to be happy having sex with the one person for the rest of your life.
    to most people relationship and marriage means sex only with that person, but to others thats not the case though

Indeed but if people like that want to have sex with others I don't know why they'd enter into long term relationships, never mind marriage, in the first place. Unless of course sleeping with others was by mutual consent like an open relationship or marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Ranicand wrote: »
    Yes it's called Aspergers and people like me find it impossible to form and maintain relationships.

I guess Danielle Lloyd, Paris Hilton and Imogen Thomas have Asperger's syndrome then.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

When the Italian actor Alberto Sordi was asked why he never got marrier despite having had flirts with several actresses during his life he said: «I already have a family: my mother and father, my sisters, my brother, my film editor, my secretary, my press agent. Why should I put a stranger into my home?» :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I never really thought about folks who don't get married. If it's a choice then good luck to them. If it's not I'd feel bad for them alright.

I can't see myself getting hitched. Might happen, but I can't see it. I might have happened twice in my past and I was open to the notion, but circumstances and all that. Looking back would I like to be married to those women now? I honestly don't know, but I don't think so. They would likely say the same. :D

I said life expectancy, nobody can determine these things for certain.
    True, but I'd have to majorly disagree with your contention that in the early 1970's life expectancy was 40. In some undeveloped nations maybe, but in the west, more like 70 odd.
    As for my theories on the future of medicine, again if we look at what medicine has achieved in the last forty years and how far it's come, it has enabled people to live longer, healthier, and happier lives,
    Not quite C, the majority of the gains in life expectancy over the last century have been at the start of life. We've reduced the scarily high childhood mortality rates of the past. Take them outa the picture and the increases towards the end of life have been small enough. Under a decade. Healthier? Could go both ways. Today there are far more allergies, much higher rate of diabetes, cancer rates have remained remarkably static though treatment is significantly better. Ditto for cardiovascular health. Mental health seems to have taken a dive too. Unless there's a serious breakthrough in medical science adding an extra 40 years is gonna be tough.
    There isn't as much pressure as there was forty years ago to be married off, pop a couple of children, and then pop your clogs having lived a largely unfulfilled life.
    True but that's more socially driven than medical. You do make it sound like 40 years ago was the dark ages though :D We were flying to the moon for fecks sake and flying to New York in 3 hours.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

I've been there for ten long years and i could write books on the highs and the lows. The right person shows up when it's suppose to. Unfortunately we can't make it happen when it suits us. It's a waiting game. Have faith.

Or you could take control of your life and ask men out? Why does it need to be a waiting game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Practice makes perfect.

Or you could take control of your life and ask men out? Why does it need to be a waiting game?

I was raised in a very catholic household, we were not ever to ask a man for a date. How does the man feel about the woman asking him out? If its not an issue then i say go for it. It's not something I would feel comfortable doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nowanathiest

I don't know what you took from my comment exactly, but I wasn't referring to your being single, I was referring to your dismissive attitude towards a huge swathe of the populace who also find themselves single.

If you find most people boring 24/7, think older men are simply looking for a future nurse and seperated men and their awful kids are not worth getting to know, who exactly do you consider to be an equal partner?

I think no less of anyone for the choices they make, whether they choose to be single or in a relationship. However, there is certainly an attitude apparant in your post which comes across as bitter. By all means, choose your own path in life and never settle for anything you don't feel is right for you, but don't accuse society of pigeonholing people, when you have done the exact same thing.

What I took from your quote Dark Horse was your very obvious implication that I must be single because in your eyes I am "difficult to please". Your a bit of a sniper aren't you........shoot the bullet then hide and pretend you didn't send it??

This time round you have accused me of being "bitter".........bitter about what exactly? I have a good life with nothing to be bitter about. My posting is a detatched observation of of the over 45's single scene currently, but I do appear to have touched a nerve with you with these observations.........anything you want to share with us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I was raised in a very catholic household, we were not ever to ask a man for a date. How does the man feel about the woman asking him out? If its not an issue then i say go for it. It's not something I would feel comfortable doing.

What has being a catholic got to do with asking someone out?!

Advertisement