Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of people who never marry?

Options
  • 29-03-2013 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Whats your general opinion of people who never marry, or get into relationships? I mean people well past 25, and all the way up into their 60 beyond who have never had a life partner, or anybody significant in their lives?

Do you think its kind of sad? Do you look down upon them, or see them as slightly weird people?

I'm curious to know, as I dont think I struggle to think of many adults who have no partner.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

They're usually the happiest.The men that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well getting married (or not) is one thing, a life partner is another, then there's successive multiple partners, but being alone
    without anybody for life is a whole other story, which works for some and not for others. Each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

My uncle died well into his 60's. He never married, had a great life and died a happy man.

I feel worse for people married decades and one dies. Is it better to have loved and lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Whats your general opinion of people who never marry, or get into relationships? I mean people well past 25, and all the way up into their 60 beyond who have never had a life partner, or anybody significant in their lives?

Do you think its kind of sad? Do you look down upon them, or see them as slightly weird people?

I'm curious to know, as I dont think I struggle to think of many adults who have no partner.

Yes it's called Aspergers and people like me find it impossible to form and maintain relationships.

Yes being born with a condition makes us weird and people have every right to look down on us.

However if I catch anybody looking down on me they had better run fast.

Stupid thread what business is it of yours or anybody else what relationships people do not have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

They must love each other

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

Ranicand wrote: »
    Yes it's called Aspergers and people like me find it impossible to form and maintain relationships.

Yes being born with a condition makes us weird and people have every right to look down on us.

Stupid thread what business is it of yours or anybody else what relationships people do not have?

*Grabs popcorn and pepsi*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Different strokes for different folks.

Maybe unmarried people think you're weird for getting married.

Tearwave wrote: »

You can grab what you like.

But if I live my life and obey the laws nobody has a right to look down on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Tbh, in relation to those who are at the older end of the scale, if I thought it wasn't their choice, I'd feel a bit sorry for them as they might be lonely - and for those who have never been in a relationship, they may feel left out, and it must suck for many not to have experienced it ever (although at least they haven't experienced the break-up misery :pac:).

No way would I look down on them though or view them as weird - it would take a hell of a lot more for me to look down on someone/think they're weird. Someone is very long-term single/celibate - hardly a heinous existence. It's not the sum of the person. Plus, despite the movies, there's no guarantee everyone will meet someone they really want to be with. Some people (probably a minority, but nevertheless) "settle" due to fear of being alone and others aren't able for settling so they stay on their own.
    Is it better to have loved and lost?
    That old chestnut really depends on how things are going in your life relationshipwise. If you're blissfully in love, yes. If you're heartbroken, nope. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

*Grabs popcorn-dumps Pepsi in sink- Grabs beer.*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Madam_X wrote: »
    Tbh, in relation to those who are at the older end of the scale, if I thought it wasn't their choice, I'd feel a bit sorry for them as they might be lonely - and for those who have never been in a relationship, they may feel left out, and it must suck for many not to have experienced it ever (although at least they haven't experienced the break-up misery :pac:).

No way would I look down on them though or view them as weird - it would take a hell of a lot more for me to look down on someone/think they're weird. Someone is very long-term single/celibate - hardly a heinous existence. It's not the sum of the person. Plus, despite the movies, there's no guarantee everyone will meet someone they really want to be with. Some people (probably a minority, but nevertheless) "settle" due to fear of being alone and others aren't able for settling so they stay on their own.

Jaysus you type fast!

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

uch wrote: »
    Jaysus you type fast!

you should see her in bed.

Join up and post your question on that forum I dare you.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/forums.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I read something, could well have been posted here on Boards, that said married women were more unhappy than single ones. I think it might have been the other way around for men. Anyone remember that? I could have it completely wrong as my memory is defective. Could be this magnetic hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Tbh I'm certain OP wasn't making a slight towards people with Asbergers, pretty sure he means in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Lucky, lucky ba5tards :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Other peoples relationships are none of my business. I'm not asking anybody in specific. I'm asking what others think about having no partner for their life, whether it be themselves, myself, or yourself.

I understand you have aspergers and I can sympathise with that but I think you're overreacting and missing the point of thread a bit. I'm sorry if I offended you.
    Maybe my post was a bit insensitive but whatever.

Anyway, to carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Alrigh, calm down internet warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Meh, each to their own. If they are happy not in a relationship then good for them.

I though after the whole Gary McKinnon thing ye weren’t allowed on the internet anymore incase ye went alien hunting in the wrong places? :confused:
    *Grabs popcorn-dumps Pepsi in sink- Grabs beer.*

Salted or buttered?

Tbh I'm certain OP wasn't making a slight towards people with Asbergers, pretty sure he means in general

Yes I know but people with Aspergers are more normal then you think.

Lack of relationships and seeming a bit weird and the two main symptoms.

I did not suggest burning the OP at the stake I just trying to fix ignorance.

And regardless people still have no right to look down on people for this kind of reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

harney wrote: »

Salted or buttered?

Salted please- with M&M's thrown in too.

Btw- can you get out of my view please- ure spoiling my flium.

Tanks. ;)

I understand you have aspergers and I can sympathise with that but I think you're overreacting and missing the point of thread a bit. I'm sorry if I offended you.
    Maybe my post was a bit insensitive but whatever.

Anyway, to carry on.

You did not offend me read the lines not in-between them.

Your post was correct people do look down at people who are not in relationships and who seem a bit socially awkward.

The purpose of my strong post was to get people thinking.

You did not say you judged people you asked a question.

I know many do judge and I got my perspective in right under your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'm calling bullshit.
    Asperger's makes it difficult sure. Not impossible.
    My aunt works damn hard to make her relationship with my Uncle, who has the syndrome, work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

people have every right to look down on us.
    people still have no right to look down on people for this kind of reason.
    They do or they don't? :pac:

I agree with you though - whatever about what thoughts people have regarding those with Aspergers, expressing those thoughts in such a way as to put down people like yourself is out of line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I wouldnt look down on them, but tbh i might assume there's something wrong with them (a 60 year old). Which if i question at all, doesnt stand because i have relations who have been single their entire lives, and i dont think anything odd of them.

But yeah what it comes down to is whether or not they're happy. Just because you wouldnt like to be them,doesnt mean theres anything wrong

You can grab what you like.

Ah here, on Good Friday and everything ;-[

I'm calling bullshit.
    Asperger's makes it difficult sure. Not impossible.
    My aunt works damn hard to make her relationship with my Uncle, who has the syndrome, work.

Autism is a spectrum with Aspergers being part of it.

It affects people to different degrees.

People with Autism tend to think in logical terms.

You have called bull yet you have done Zero reading to back it up.

Some people with the condition can form relationships and some can't.

There is a saying when you have met one person with Aspergers you have met one person with Aspergers.
    Starting and maintaining a relationship is a difficult thing to do for those with Asperger syndrome. It requires good communication, the ability to interact socially and be interested in others. In order to have a relationship it is necessary to be able to understand the emotions and feelings of the other person and handle those feelings well. Most of the time these qualities do not come natural to people with Aspergers since they exhibit typical characteristics that effect their ability to relate to others in a meaningful way.

You can read the rest here. http://www.asperger-advice.com/asperger-syndrome-behavior.html

Madam_X wrote: »
    They do or they don't? :pac:

I agree with you though - whatever about what thoughts people have regarding those with Aspergers, expressing those thoughts in such a way as to put down people like yourself is out of line.

Madam X again?

You don't understand sarcasm?

I said they have the right but they better run fast if I hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

i know plenty of people 50+ who never married, and to be honest it seems to be a lifestyle choice for many, I think nothing different of them than anyone else?

• Advertisement

There is a saying when you have met one person with Aspergers you have met one person with Aspergers.

What if you meet someone with aspergers AND multiple personality disorder, huh, what then???

Advertisement