Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: Round 2 - Malaysian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

frostie500 wrote: »
    So am I take it from this post that you think that Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve are better drivers than Gilles just because they won a title?
    Gilles career ended prematurely so it's hard to gauge who was the better driver. Hill should have won two titles but Schumacher made sure that didn't happen with that win at all cost gene we've been talking about. The fact is that history records success on paper. On paper Hill and JV were World Champions but GV was not. How often have you seen a football team play better but lose? History and championships don't care who played better, they care who won!
    what he did on Sunday was wrong...
    Any sportsperson in any sport who purposefully finishes in a lower position or underperforms has no place in sport in my opinion. In most other sports it's called match fixing and you can go to prison for it. In F1 it seems it's become so completely acceptable to the point that when a driver doesn't conform to this 'fixing' he is shunned as being 'unsporting'. It's a joke!! Any non F1 supporters who watched the race would consider what RedBull and Webber were doing was far more wrong than what Vettel did.

But but but it's a team sport!.... well then scrap the drivers championship!
    I dont expect any top level sportsman to be happy when they're told that they wont win on any given day but they should respect the authority of their team bosses and act like a professional.
    Can you not see what is so absolutely absurd about the above statement? He didn't act PROFESSIONAL when he was told to throw the race? Seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Scotty # wrote: »
    Gilles career ended prematurely so it's hard to gauge who was the better driver. Hill should have won two titles but Schumacher made sure that didn't happen with that win at all cost gene we've been talking about. The fact is that history records success on paper. On paper Hill and JV were World Champions but GV was not. How often have you seen a football team play better but lose? History and championships don't care who played better, they care who won!

It's not hard at all to gauge who was the better driver...you just need to watch races or read reports! I'm not doubting that Jacques or Damon were more successful the stats are there to show that they won more races and titles but there is no way that any sane fan would say that either driver was better than Gilles.
    Any sportsperson in any sport who purposefully finishes in a lower position or underperforms has no place in sport in my opinion. In most other sports it's called match fixing and you can go to prison for it. In F1 it seems it's become so completely acceptable to the point that when a driver doesn't conform to this 'fixing' he is shunned as being 'unsporting'. It's a joke!! Any non F1 supporters who watched the race would consider what RedBull and Webber were doing was far more wrong than what Vettel did.

But but but it's a team sport!.... well then scrap the drivers championship!

Match fixing is when you throw a match so that you're team doesnt win. An apt comparison to Sunday is when a footballer is asked to play out of position for the good of his team. How many times have Man Utd played Wayne Rooney in midfield over the last few year? Has he said to Fergusson "To hell with you, I'm a centre forward and that's where I'm going to play!" No, he played in midfield and did his job and United won matches/titles as a result.
    Can you not see what is so absolutely absurd about the above statement? He didn't act PROFESSIONAL when he was told to throw the race? Seriously???

Again he wasn't asked to throw a race simply to let follow his team's orders. He is a member of a team not an individual

It's not hard at all to gauge who was the better driver...
    But it is completely irrelevant.

It's not decided on who was best, it's decided on who won! They don't sit down at the end of the premiership or the world cup and decide "well who played the best football this year?" They look at who scored the most points and that determines the title. Nothing else matters.

Match fixing is when you throw a match so that you're team doesnt win. An apt comparison to Sunday is when a footballer is asked to play out of position for the good of his team. How many times have Man Utd played Wayne Rooney in midfield over the last few year? Has he said to Fergusson "To hell with you, I'm a centre forward and that's where I'm going to play!" No, he played in midfield and did his job and United won matches/titles as a result.
    It's not an apt comparison at all. Football is purely a team sport. F1 is not. Vettel was asked to throw HIS race as was Rosberg. It's more like Rooney being told he can't score anymore because we want Hernandez to score more than you.
    He is a member of a team not an individual
    But the Drivers Championship is 90% of Formula 1 and it is an individual championship. Vettel was asked to seriously infringe his championship. Something he wasn't able to do and something he is unlikely to be ever asked to do again.

I'm sure if we're honest we'd all rather 20 Vettels out there than 20 Webbers?

But it is completely irrelevant.

It's not decided on who was best, it's decided on who won! They don't sit down at the end of the premiership or the world cup and decide "well who played the best football this year?" They look at who scored the most points and that determines the title. Nothing else matters.

It's not irrelevant at all. If the machienry available to drivers isnt taking into account how would Alonso or Vettel ever gotten into a decent drive having started their careers at Toro Rosso (disgard Vettel's one off BMW drive) or Minardi?
    It's not an apt comparison at all. Football is purely a team sport. F1 is not. Vettel was asked to throw HIS race as was Rosberg. It's more like Rooney being told he can't score anymore because we want Hernandez to score more than you.
    F1 is not a team sport? So I suppose the thousands of people employed by each Constructor aren't part of a team? They just happen to design, manufacture and promote a Constructor while wearing a team shirt? I've said it before and I'll say it again, F1 is the ultimate team sport. If someone back at base makes a tiny manufacturing error, or a mechanic tightens a bolt a fraction too tight or too loose a race can be won or lost by that mistake. If the kitman washes the jerseys a little bit too hot does it have a major impact on a match?
    But the Drivers Championship is 90% of Formula 1 and it is an individual championship. Vettel was asked to seriously infringe his championship. Something he wasn't able to do and something he is unlikely to be ever asked to do again.

The drivers championship is 90% of F1 to you but not to all fans. It gets more publicity but internally within the sport the Constructors' is more important. It determines your budgets going forward from the FOM and what you can charge you sponsors. It gives you far greater standing within the sport than winning a drivers title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Vettel wasn't asked to 'throw' his race, he was given an order by his employer & disregarded it. Rosberg wasn't asked to 'throw' his race either, he too was given an order by his employer & he followed it. You know why? Because as much as you wish to think otherwise, Formula 1 is a team sport, thats why its called a Formula 1 team. We as viewers only really ever see the drivers title heavily promoted, but you can bet your wages if Christian Horner had a choice of letting Vettel be a drivers champion, or have Red Bull as constructors champions, he'd pick the latter.

Your right in the fact that Vettel did what he did on instinct, he is one of the greats, & has that ruthlessness needed to be a multiple world champion. But he was also wrong to do it, for other reasons, his public image has taken a battering, its bad PR for Red Bull, & he could have lost any future support from Webber later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Its equally plausible to say that Webber threw his race because of team orders. He lowered his engine so he could get to the end, based on what the team told him. The team told him to do this so he could get to the end. The same team also told Vettel to do the same. He wasnt asked to throw the race, because he wasnt in first place at the time. Webber was. As a result of team orders, Webber slowed his pace allowing Vettel to overtake. Webber was told to by the team, as was Vettel. If Webber didnt, he probably would have stayed in first place, but wouldve went against team orders. Instead, due to team orders, he basically threw his race, because it was his race to win, not Vettels.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Vettel, like Senna, only without the Charm, charisma, passion, likeability, ability to win in an inferior car....

I dont like Vettel, never had. His toys out of the pram attittude always stank. I'm annoyed at what he did, but my biggest problem was the sneaky way he did it.

Webber was told twice the race was over. There was apparently an agreement prior to the race that at the last pitstop, the race was over (vettel agreed because he thought he would be in the lead at this point). Webber turned down his engine unlike Vettel and Vettel passed breaking a team agreement, a gentlemans agreement and all while Webber wasnt expecting it and had his engine turned down.

Thats not just selfish, thats seriously low. Like shooting an unarmed man. Scumbag thing to do. It wasnt a fair fight.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Vettel wasn't asked to 'throw' his race, he was given an order by his employer & disregarded it. Rosberg wasn't asked to 'throw' his race either,
    Both were asked to perform to under-perform. That's throwing their race in my book.
    It's not irrelevant at all. If the machienry available to drivers isnt taking into account...
    Points are THE ONE AND ONLY parameter considered in determining the title. EVERYTHING else is irrelevant. Doesn't matter how good you think someone is or how much you think someone deserved to win. Points are all that matter.

F1 is not a team sport? So I suppose the thousands of people employed by each Constructor aren't part of a team? They just happen to design, manufacture and promote a Constructor while wearing a team shirt? I've said it before and I'll say it again, F1 is the ultimate team sport. If someone back at base makes a tiny manufacturing error, or a mechanic tightens a bolt a fraction too tight or too loose a race can be won or lost by that mistake. If the kitman washes the jerseys a little bit too hot does it have a major impact on a match?
    So by this logic The Mens 100m and The US Open are also team sports? Sorry but that's not true. Of Course F1 has elements of team sport, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that the Drivers Championship (which is what all drivers aspire to win) is not a team sport.
    The drivers championship is 90% of F1 to you but not to all fans.
    What I mean is the Drivers Championship is F1 to 90% of fans. Most fans do not want to see team orders ruin races as they would have done last Sunday were it not for Vettel. Would you really have preferred if Vettel had followed orders? Honestly? You would really rather see teams pre determine their placings and see drivers under perform? That's not a 'sport' I want to support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You're either a team player or your not. Perhaps Vettel won't need Webbers help in the future. But if he does and Webber sits on his hands, I don't think anyone would blame him. Maybe it will have no effect on Vettel. Only time will tell.

Both were asked to perform to under-perform. That's throwing their race in my book.

What you would call throwing a race, another would call a perfectly legal strategic race call by the team.

• Advertisement

Points are THE ONE AND ONLY parameter considered in determining the title. EVERYTHING else is irrelevant. Doesn't matter how good you think someone is or how much you think someone deserved to win. Points are all that matter.

Again I dont dispute that points are the only thing that are used to determine a championship. To say anything else would be ridiculous but it is not the one and only parameter used to determine if one driver has done well or is impressive. As an example Jules Bianchi's drives in the opening two races were fantastic. He dominanted his teammate and drove at a level that we havent seen from Marussia but ultimately he didnt score any points. Does that mean that his race was terrible? No it means that he simply didnt score points. In the championship he has no points but everyone can see that he has driven well once they look deeper than the final classification
    Honestly? You would really rather see teams pre determine their placings and see drivers under perform? That's not a 'sport' I want to support.

When have I said anything that would make you that I would prefer to see teams make their decisions in advance and say that driver 1 should win? Noone wants to see that but it doesnt mean that if orders are given that I think a driver should disregard them. In an ideal scenario of course we all want to see drivers fight it out tooth and nail but that doesnt mean that I think what Seb did on Sunday was acceptable

...that doesnt mean that I think what Seb did on Sunday was acceptable
    And that's the difference between us. You think his behaviour was unacceptable. I think we should not accept anything less.

We'll leave it there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

You seem to be confusing strategy with deliberately throwing a race. All forms of racing require points where you hold back, whether it be motor racing, horse racing or even cycling. Will a jockey go full tilt out the gate at a 12 furlong race, no because that would be a terrible jockey to decide that. The horse would probably run out of juice half way and would be lucky to finish let alone win.

Similar in cycling, and very similar to F1, all riders are a member of a team but riding for themselves also. In the Tour de France last year, team Sky decided well before the finish that Wiggo was going to be the number one rider for team Sky across the finishing line, even with Chris Froome attacking him at one stage, who is also a member of team sky, but quickly got put back into his place after the team had a word. Do they go balls out at the start of a 150Km stage? Not a hope, again, they would be lucky to finish let alone win. Any cyclist that did that would be branded an idiot. Is all this illegal too? Should Bradley Wiggins and Tean Sky go to prison?

If it was done with one to two races to go it would make more sense. At the start of the year, its a big gamble alienating your no 2 driver like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

EnterNow wrote: »
    Very bad call from either Alonso or Ferrari to stay out with the broken wing. Alonso may not have been able to see how badly damaged it was, but the team certainly should have. Unless he ignored instructions to pit? Either way, whoever made the call it cost him a haul of points in all likelihood.

I think if Alonso went to get a new front wing instead of staying out, he might have come away with a few points. Was his 200th GP and one to forget for him.

Kind of snap decision, which turned out to be wrong. I'd have thought that early in the race he go straight to get a wing as early as possible, rather than putting in a slow lap. But as you say maybe it felt ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I think if Alonso went to get a new front wing instead of staying out, he might have come away with a few points. Was his 200th GP and one to forget for him.

Very stupid call from ferrari to not come in.
    With vettel winning the race they cant afford to take such risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

He was lucky not to have taken anyone else out. You'd wonder if Charlie will have a word with the teams in China about not coming in with a substantially damaged wing. Either that or race control start using the black/orange disc flag as soon as they see the damage to make sure they come in straight away. They go to the trouble of bringing the flags to each race, might as well use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

BostonB wrote: »
    Kind of snap decision, which turned out to be wrong. I'd have thought that early in the race he go straight to get a wing as early as possible, rather than putting in a slow lap. But as you say maybe it felt ok.

That's what usually happens. As soon as a driver has a broken front wing, the first thing they do is get the car around and head to the pits.
    lolie wrote: »

Indeed. Vettel is 22 points clear of Alonso in the standings as of Malaysia.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    That's what usually happens. As soon as a driver has a broken front wing, the first thing they do is get the car around and head to the pits.
    But what if you are in the middle of a slick or wets debate and you are waiting for the 3 lap minimum to expire?? I'm sure they thought they'd get the 3 laps out of the nose leaving them free to change tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

lolie wrote: »

Not completely true, the nose looked in bad shape but it was worth the risk, even if it didn't pay off this time. Alonso is still very confident about the season, even mores so than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can't win points without a car and no formula one driver owns their own car.

All the drivers race cars belonging to formula one teams. If the teams wants their car to perform a certain way then the driver as the employee has to carry out those orders. Just like a soccer player can't decide to run off with the ball on his own every time just because he likes kicking a ball.

I think in this instance the team orders made sense, there was no guarantee either car would finish the GP. Veetle jeopardized the entire teams strategy and put both cars at risk of not finishing the race because he wanted his own win. If he wants to act like that let him set up his own team and put his own money and time at risk.

It's not just about the driver, hundreds of people work very hard to put those cars on the track, one man shouldn't be aloud to jeopardize all that work for personal glory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Sitec wrote: »
    Not completely true, the nose looked in bad shape but it was worth the risk, even if it didn't pay off this time. Alonso is still very confident about the season, even mores so than last year.

Last year after Seb was tagged in Brazil Reb bull had a photo of the damage to assess it.

Alonso's front wing was clearly hanging off, we could see that from the TV shots, the team should have known the force required for the wing to survive.

article-2298324-18E41F81000005DC-509_634x346.jpg

Also did alonso cause the wing to rip by slip streaming Webber down the straight, could the wing have held on without the dirty air off MW car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Is this your argument for Vettel or your argument on behalf of Red Bull? Because you are correct, points are indeed the only thing that matter at the end of the day. Which is exactly how Red Bull saw it.

As such, Red Bull instructed their drivers to see out the race in a manner that would earn the team 43 points.

Vettel's actions risked potentially turning 43 points into 0 points.

I'd prefer it if team orders were never implemented but at the end of the day the teams have every right to instruct their drivers to do their job in a manner that is in the best interests of the team.

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can't win points without a car...
    and you can't win a championship without points! I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

ScumLord wrote: »
    the driver as the employee has to carry out those orders.
    Technically speaking the drivers are not employees. Most of them have set themselves up as PLC's and are then contracted to the team.

What does Vettels contract say about team orders? Considering he's won 3 world titles with Red Bull and is current champ! I have a feeling, seeing as RedBull are taking no disciplinary action, that there is very little about team orders and it was more of a request to hold position rather than a downright order. We never actually got to hear the instructions being given on the TV (incidentally I heard during the week that the teams curse and swear a lot over the radio if they don't want it broadcast on TV).

We can argue this around in circles but the bottom line is that rightly or wrongly competitors like Vettel, Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton (I think) will try to win at all cost. They can't help it. It's the same reason Tiery Henry handled the ball. He didn't make a calculated decision to do it, it was pure instinct and I'm certain he regretted it later. I'm also certain he would do it again next time. It's in their blood and sport would not exist without them. Should we punish them for it? Should we consider them unsporting or un professional?

Who is less sporting? Vettel for passing when Webber believed (foolishly) that he wouldn't or Webber for expecting Vettel to let him win the race?? I say Webber.

Last year after Seb was tagged in Brazil Reb bull had a photo of the damage to assess it.

Alonso's front wing was clearly hanging off, we could see that from the TV shots, the team should have known the force required for the wing to survive.

Have to agree, it was not only a silly, but potentially dangerous move by Ferrari especially on that track with two huge straights where speed & pressure on the wing would be highest

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

and you can't win a championship without points! I'm not sure what you are getting at here.
    The point is Vettle is driving for the team not himself no matter what he thinks.

Technically speaking the drivers are not employees. Most of them have set themselves up as PLC's and are then contracted to the team.
    That gives him less rights than an employee not more. That means if he fails to fulfil the demands of his contract he can be dumped and won't have any of the rights an employee would have.

We can argue this around in circles but the bottom line is that rightly or wrongly competitors like Vettel, Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton (I think) will try to win at all cost. They can't help it.
    That's true, it's also why they can't really do anything about what he did but at the end of the day if he keeps jeopardizing Red Bulls points by taking risks with both their cars they could look very dimly on him. Red Bull are more than just a formula one team, they're a franchise that put their public image above everything else.

While Vettle is great and so far hasn't had to many crashes if he starts to affect the overall points the team can win there are just as many good drivers out there waiting to take his job.

We can argue this around in circles but the bottom line is that rightly or wrongly competitors like Vettel, Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton (I think) will try to win at all cost. They can't help it. It's the same reason Tiery Henry handled the ball. He didn't make a calculated decision to do it, it was pure instinct and I'm certain he regretted it later. I'm also certain he would do it again next time. It's in their blood and sport would not exist without them. Should we punish them for it? Should we consider them unsporting or un professional?

I agree with everything written here, but I do think Vettel was unsporting in this case, not unprofessional.
    Who is less sporting? Vettel for passing when Webber believed (foolishly) that he wouldn't or Webber for expecting Vettel to let him win the race?? I say Webber.

Webber was only doing as told, & Seb couldn't get near him until he was ordered to turn his engine down. So no, the only thing Webber done wrong here was not fighting until the death. If they had have collided then it would have been Vettels fault so if I were Webber I'd have gone for broke. Does Vettels body language on the podium not tell you how he actually felt about it?

...Who is less sporting? Vettel for passing when Webber believed (foolishly) that he wouldn't or Webber for expecting Vettel to let him win the race?? I say Webber.

Depends what you mean by "sporting". You seem to be taking it as to win at any cost. Rather than Sportsmanship which is something else entirely.

The reason they banned team orders in the past was it was seen as bringing the sport into disrepute. This incident make F1 look like a joke tbh.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its both, if your boss tells you not to do something you ignore him repeatedly and still do it thats definitely unprofessional.

I suppose so, by ignoring the orders of his race engineer, his team principle, & by disregarding any pre-race team strategy/agreement, it does show unprofessionalism in some light.

Advertisement