Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: Round 2 - Malaysian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Scotty # wrote: »
    Anyone, who found any bit of excitement in the last 20 laps of yesterdays race should be Vettel today and should be emailing RedBull and the FIA to tell them this is what we want to see from now on.
    Im all for racing to the end as long as one driver hasnt been nobbled.
    cant see there being such an arrangement again at redbull as webber will not obey. Im expecting a few broken redbull cars before the season ends. If a non finish due to a coming together with webber costs vettel the title, I will laugh out loud as it will have been of his own making.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Anyone, who found any bit of excitement in the last 20 laps of yesterdays race should be praising Vettel today and should be emailing RedBull and the FIA to tell them this is what we want to see from now on.

TBH, a lot has to be said about how he did it as well. It wasn't the best of overtakes. It was rather wreckless even considering he knew Webber had set the engine to a lower mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself, if its his last year I personally would ignore any team orders.

I would love to see that myself too, but i'd imagine if he did it more then once he would be shown the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would love to see that myself too, but i'd imagine if he did it more then once he would be shown the door.

My thinking too. Also it would make getting another seat even harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Webber to Porsche LMP1 team next rear is a rumor that wont go away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Imagine for a moment that Vettel had followed orders yesterday and TV viewers didn't get to hear radio messages. We would have had 20+ laps if Vettel trailing Webber and Rosberg trailing Hamilton to the finish and everyone would be up in arms about how this was wrong and damaging to F1. And rightly so!

I'm delighted Vettel passed Webber! I'm only sorry Rosberg didn't do the same to Hamilton. It's an awful shame to see 'race' highlights made up of conversation transcripts. Is this really what F1 has sunk to?

Anyone, who found any bit of excitement in the last 20 laps of yesterdays race should be praising Vettel today and should be emailing RedBull and the FIA to tell them this is what we want to see from now on.

People probably would complain but the issue is that vettel attacked webber when he was told not to. I mean Webber could've come back at vettel in the DRS zone and vice versa which would've led to a dong dong every lap and the chances are they would've wrote each other off. Webber was the bigger man yesterday and showed his class. Vettel showed everybody that it was all about him not the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

A couple of funnies following the race.....

BGN3u1GCUAAnmW2.jpg:large
    SPADF1counselling.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Rascasse wrote: »
    A couple of funnies following the race.....

IM]IM]

I see you follow loosewheelnut on twitter;)
    He has put up some good ones alright

EireIceMan wrote: »
    I see you follow loosewheelnut on twitter;)
    He has put up some good ones alright

Top one I got from a GP2 driver that was retweeted by Will Buxton. Second one from Sniff Petrol. What's loosewheelnut's twitter name? (loosewheelnut is just some bloke).

Top one I got from a GP2 driver that was retweeted by Will Buxton. Second one from Sniff Petrol. What's loosewheelnut's twitter name? (loosewheelnut is just some bloke).

@loosewheelnut
    proxy6_zpsea31de71.jpg
    proxy6_zps6ca3d113.jpg
    proxy5_zps82aeec13.jpg

• Advertisement

Found it. It's twitter.com/Loose_Wheel_Nut

Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Vettel won the championship by 3pts. in 2012 and by 4pts. in 2010, so maybe that's what made up his mind for him.

I wonder how many of his points in the last two seasons have come from Webber playing the team game

F1.com Q&A with Vettel. Much the same as we've heard already...
    http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2013/3/14412.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Killinator

With regards Mark's future after RB, in an interview on Sky before the season started he stated he had alot of respect for Rubens but couldn't do what he did and move on to progressively worse teams,
    So it seems pretty definitive he's not going to be driving for Force India or Sauber or the like.

As Grim said there's rumors of Porsche LMP1 and he has endurance experience, and endurance drivers can have fairly extended careers so it would be a good option.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You know what really annoyed me about the weekend was Coulthard commentary. He said that Webber gave Seb a pretty good squeeze into the pit wall. He said that its about as close as you want to get and that you wouldn't be able to get a cig paper between the wall and the wheel.

Yet when Schumacher did it he practically got the pitchfork out. He really annoys me that chap now.

Had the exact same thought myself, I remember the whole "What if someone had been exiting the pits at that moment" tirade that went on...but not this time :rolleyes:

And frankly, I get more & more surprised the BBC don't reign Coulthard in a bit more for being so completely biased in his work, & airing his own grudges over the air. The man is for want of a better word, a vomit.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Had the exact same thought myself, I remember the whole "What if someone had been exiting the pits at that moment" tirade that went on...but not this time :rolleyes:

It would have been fine as there is a lot more room in Malaysia than Hungary and there was plenty of room for a car exiting the pits. Not in the Schumacher case when Rubens was pushed on to the grass after the pit exit, so could have hit someone exiting.
    p.php?a=TlRSY2E5Jn9tP1trbWZ0eCIgP2NjdyImOj43Py8iKTwlOyU8Pj4xOCkjNSQgPCQ5PyAiIiQ9KSYp&m=1349346235

Not to mention with Schumacher it was a case of seeing Rubens and then moving in on him. Webber moved in protect his inside line but straightened when Vettel was inside him.

I agree that BBC is ****e though. Couthard doesn't have the situational awareness of Brundle and Collins doesn't seem to be as good as he was in the 90's. When I see the landlord this week I'll be asking him if I can get a Sky dish fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Vettel got alot of work to do if he aims be a big a dickhead as schumacher is/was.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

funkyouup wrote: »
    Vettel got alot of work to do if he aims be a big a dickhead as schumacher is/was.
    I dont know. After yesterday I 100% believe that vettel woulf have no issue taking someone out of the race if it meant the title would go in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

tunguska wrote: »
    People probably would complain but the issue is that vettel attacked webber when he was told not to. I mean Webber could've come back at vettel in the DRS zone and vice versa which would've led to a dong dong every lap and the chances are they would've wrote each other off. Webber was the bigger man yesterday and showed his class.
    For me, this is what separates the World Champions from the wannabe World Champions. It's the win at all cost, kill or be killed, no surrender attitude. Schumacher had in droves and so did Senna.

Vettel would do what he did yesterday every time. He can't help it. It's instinct. No more than Webber, even if he got the chance again, would still not brake team orders. It's just the type of guy he is. Great if you are looking for a buddy - not so great if you are looking for a World Champion. Rocky summed it up perfect when congratulating Vettel after the race... "you certainly wanted it enough...". Vettel will happily apologise til the cows come home but he'd still do it again next week and that's the difference between winners and runners-up. History does not record 'the bigger man', it records the winner.

It's the same reason Hamilton didn't pull over at the finish and let Nico take 3rd. He'd rather look soluem on the podium and whinge about how Nico deserved it more than actually hand it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont know. After yesterday I 100% believe that vettel woulf have no issue taking someone out of the race if it meant the title would go in his favour.

Maybe so, in any case like alot of other people he went down a great deal in my estimations yesterday.

• Advertisement

It's the win at all cost, kill or be killed, no surrender attitude. Schumacher had in droves and so did Senna.

"Mark is too slow, get him out of the way"....yeah, real Die Hard stuff that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

For me, this is what separates the World Champions from the wannabe World Champions. It's the win at all cost, kill or be killed, no surrender attitude. Schumacher had in droves and so did Senna.

Vettel would do what he did yesterday every time. He can't help it. It's instinct. No more than Webber, even if he got the chance again, would still not brake team orders. It's just the type of guy he is. Great if you are looking for a buddy - not so great if you are looking for a World Champion. Rocky summed it up perfect when congratulating Vettel after the race... "you certainly wanted it enough...". Vettel will happily apologise til the cows come home but he'd still do it again next week and that's the difference between winners and runners-up. History does not record 'the bigger man', it records the winner.

It's the same reason Hamilton didn't pull over at the finish and let Nico take 3rd. He'd rather look soluem on the podium and whinge about how Nico deserved it more than actually hand it over.

Maybe a bit too early to say he's as ruthless as the two S's but he certainly has that selfishness you presumably need to become a multiple world champion (along with all the other requirements). It's clear he's chasing records at this stage which probably drives a lot of his actions.

Shame they weren't allowed fight it out proper though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    "Mark is too slow, get him out of the way"....yeah, real Die Hard stuff that.

That's the point though - it's not always about die hard stuff - more about trying to gain any advantage by whatever means. Sometimes it needs a great overtake, sometimes it's persuading Charlie to bring out a safety car or asking the team to intervene. It's not pretty but I find it fascinating to see the mentality of some of these guys.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's the point though - it's not always about die hard stuff - more about trying to gain any advantage by whatever means

Looking at the bigger picture now, he's very likely cost himself any further assistance from Webber...that could in the end hurt him a lot more than taking second place as he was ordered to do. By whatever means in this case, seems a very, very shortsighted move by Vettel...its' gonna be a long season

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Will Redbull punish Vettel though??? Not a hope they will but if it had been Webber i'd say he would be getting his P45

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

funkyouup wrote: »

A lot of work in winning 7 titles sure enough.

You'd wonder if Vettel leads Webber in China he'll pull over. Might be the prudent thing to do for the sake of 7 points. Not sure if Mark would accept it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You'd wonder if Vettel leads Webber in China he'll pull over. Might be the prudent thing to do for the sake of 7 points. Not sure if Mark would accept it, though.

Not a ****ing chance to be honest. Those few points could end up being the difference between a WDC or not at the end of the season.

Nah I think a line should be drawn under it now, the damage is done & Mark wouldn't want a win handed to him. If he had been told by the team in Malaysia that Vettel is catching up & they had to race then thats fair enough...its win or lose. But to be told to hold station that the race is over & then suddenly the four second lead you had is gone & your team mate is on your gearbox...thats just bad form.

Considering this is potentially Marks last year in RB/F1, Vettel will be hard pressed to get Mark to play the team game for this season & that could potentially cost him more than the seven points he got by screwing Webber over

• Advertisement

Not a ****ing chance to be honest. Those few points could end up being the difference between a WDC or not at the end of the season.

I reckon Mark could have gotten Vettel more than 7 points over this whole season, not sure about that now though

Advertisement