Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macklemore is raps saviour!

Options
  • 26-03-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Its a big statement and it sounds very racial....

But i think macklemore is the best rapper since eminem....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Define best...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 sharpshooter66

What has hip hop come to? :( nas is definitely right when he says hip hop is dead..... Eminem is hardly hip hop anymore... but macklemore is just pop :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Define best...

In situations like this it usually is synonymous with whitest.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

What has hip hop come to? :( nas is definitely right when he says hip hop is dead..... Eminem is hardly hip hop anymore... but macklemore is just pop :/

Really?

Really?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Freddie Gibbs is the best since Big Pun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Agree on the Macklemore statement, but hip hop is far from dead, you're looking in the wrong places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    Really?

You could probably pick even better songs than those to argue your point, but yeah he's most certainly not bloody pop (unless the only song you've listened to is Thrift Shop!)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Macklemore is garbage, unless you're looking for music to put you to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Maybe its the way i like my rap music... but we have been waiting for someone like macklemore for a long time...

Solid story telling rap, with good flow, good beats and a rapper thats down to earth...

I mean irish celebration, if you haven't heard, youtube it now... Wings what a tune....

And guess what to make it better, they have done it all themselves, no labels....

I am not at all racial but i think its his truth-full lyrics that has set him apart...

Not since i first heard "cleaning out my closet" has a rapper hit a nerve so much....

• Advertisement

[/QUOTE]
    Yes really!

And i have no problem saying this here, starting over is up there with the best rap song i have ever heard... Why? beacuse i too myself struggle with addiction, and after being 5 years clean ****ed up too!!!

I agree he's bringing back more substance into mainstream hip hop but he's not the saviour of it and certainly not the saviour of hip hop as a whole, there's plenty of underground artists keeping their music meaningful and even a couple of mainstream artists, watch the throne had it's meaningful moments

Savior is a pretty strong word for him

Watch the throne...

Im sorry but i agree that when kayne west brought out "collage dropout" it was a classic... But it all gone to his head, i cant stomach him anymore, same with jayz....

Lets hope macklemore does not fall by this side... I honesty do think he gonna be a sensation...

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Define best...

Ok i will try and describe best for you...

First i live in Ireland and i don't live in the ghetto so the best rapper to me is not the one talking about drugs, money, ****ing, and thugging...

Lets take tupac for example and biggie great rappers with great songs but also fall into the thugging department but you would forgive them because tupas gave us changes and biggie gave us "life after death"...

I need to relate to rap music... i havent related to a rapper from the other side of the pond since Eminem then i do like macklemore...

For me he is the best rapper since Eminem... Thats just my opinion and it don't mean it crystal...

Do you listen to any Irish stuff?

yes rob kelly, maverick sabre, original rubeboys..... There a few really good kids on soundcloud that have the makings to be quite good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

I haven't listened to much of macklemore only the singles really, but going on them alone I'm not into him at all hes not terrible but hes average at best even among other white rappers hes average in my opinion but maybe I just need to listen to more of his stuff

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Watch the throne...

Im sorry but i agree that when kayne west brought out "collage dropout" it was a classic... But it all gone to his head, i cant stomach him anymore, same with jayz....

Lets hope macklemore does not fall by this side... I honesty do think he gonna be a sensation...

Listen to New Day off the watch the throne album, if thats not mainstream and meaningful at the same time then I dunno what is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Maybe its the way i like my rap music... but we have been waiting for someone like macklemore for a long time...

Solid story telling rap, with good flow, good beats and a rapper thats down to earth...

I mean irish celebration, if you haven't heard, youtube it now... Wings what a tune....

And guess what to make it better, they have done it all themselves, no labels....

I am not at all racial but i think its his truth-full lyrics that has set him apart...

Not since i first heard "cleaning out my closet" has a rapper hit a nerve so much....

I actually don't mind Macklemore, his stuff is in general ok if not to my tastes. You can tell he's a good skin and his lyrics are heartfelt if a little preachy. He's got a good flow. His beats don't really do it for me, I know Ryan Lewis gets a lot of props for the production but again, its not really for me.

That Irish Celebration song, however, is one of the cheesiest, cringiest things I've ever seen in my life. Definitely wouldn;t consider it a good advertisement for the man!

You see his youtube hits...??? He be a millionaire next year just from youtube hits because they are not signed to any label... You gotta hand it to them....

• Advertisement

This has to be a wind up. It's a good one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

To be fair I dont think hip-hop needs a saviour, it was doing fine before must of us and Im sure it will be doing fine after us. Dont get me wrong macklemores album was brilliant last year, probably second best album of 2012 losing out to the excellent GKMC, but thats all in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

I hate when people when use the term "best rapper" as it's all a matter of opinion and it usually results in heat arguments. As regards to Macklemore i have been listening to him since late 2010 and I have been hoping he will get big which he has with Thrift Shop. Although Thrift Shop may not be a"Hip-Hop/Rap" song it will definitely bring more people to listen to his other songs which is great. I wouldn't define him as Hip-hop's saviour though as that's a very bold statement to make. Other people going to get big eventually in Hip-hop/rap are: Murs ,Fashawn, Chris Webby and Logic etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UoDygYNXzg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Not sure if serious or what...

Anyway, the actual 'saviours' of rap (whatever that means):

Also, what is the obsession with 'mainstream' Hip-Hop that is 'meaningful' and 'thought-provoking'?

I hate when people when use the term "best rapper" as it's all a matter of opinion and it usually results in heat arguments. As regards to Macklemore i have been listening to him since late 2010 and I have been hoping he will get big which he has with Thrift Shop. Although Thrift Shop may not be a"Hip-Hop/Rap" song it will definitely bring more people to listen to his other songs which is great. I wouldn't define him as Hip-hop's saviour though as that's a very bold statement to make. Other people going to get big eventually in Hip-hop/rap are: Murs ,Fashawn, Chris Webby and Logic etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UoDygYNXzg

Murs has been making Hip-Hop since the mid 90s lad. He isn't going to be 'big', neither are the other three you mentioned.

Fashawn is great though.

Orizio wrote: »
    Murs has been making Hip-Hop since the mid 90s lad. He isn't going to be 'big', neither are the other three you mentioned.

Fashawn is great though.

How do you know any of those three wont make it "big"? People would have said the same about Macklemore before Thrift Shop came out. All you need is one big song to go viral and your pretty much there..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

How do you know any of those three wont make it "big"? People would have said the same about Macklemore before Thrift Shop came out. All you need is one big song to go viral and your pretty much there..

The next song is the most important, in my opinion. If you get that right then you've made it.

Take Chamillionaire for example. He hit the big time with Ridin'. If Youtube was as widely used back in '06 as it is now then he'd be close to the same numbers on it as Macklemore.

He never kicked on from there though. His next album was as good, if not better, than his debut but it bombed. That was back in 2007. He hasn't released an album since. He has just skated from mixtape to mixtape and EP to EP. They have all been fantastic outputs but they're not selling like they could had he capitalised fully on the success of Ridin'.

There is a hell of a lot more to it than just getting one hit. You need to maintain the buzz. If you can unlock that secret then you are sorted.

The next song is the most important, in my opinion. If you get that right then you've made it.

Take Chamillionaire for example. He hit the big time with Ridin'. If Youtube was as widely used back in '06 as it is now then he'd be close to the same numbers on it as Macklemore.

He never kicked on from there though. His next album was as good, if not better, than his debut but it bombed. That was back in 2007. He hasn't released an album since. He has just skated from mixtape to mixtape and EP to EP. They have all been fantastic outputs but they're not selling like they could had he capitalised fully on the success of Ridin'.

There is a hell of a lot more to it than just getting one hit. You need to maintain the buzz. If you can unlock that secret then you are sorted.

Completely agree, he has gotten the attention he just needs to maintain it now, which hopefully he will. :D

• Advertisement

And in Macklemore's case, white, attractive to teenage girls and the ability to make generic inoffensive music...

Advertisement