Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macklemore is raps saviour!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

But much like the Oscars I thought the Grammy rated music in terms of the actual quality of music not the exposure or number of sales?

That's what my awards does!

You really think the best films always win the oscars?

Oscar wins involve a major and concerted marketing drive, just like the Grammys.

Honestly, why can't people just make their own decisions instead of relying on some award to validate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

floggg wrote: »
    You really think the best films always win the oscars?

Oscar wins involve a major and concerted marketing drive, just like the Grammys.

Honestly, why can't people just make their own decisions instead of relying on some award to validate them.

Yes i do actually.

I bet you 12 years a slave and/or wolf of wall street will win oscars this year compared to a trash type of movie like paranoma activity part 10 or that new movie ride along LOL.

seriously this kid Macklemore is like the movie Ride Along and Kendrick Lamar is 12 years a slave.

no ****ing comparison yet 10/10 times the oscars pick a movie of teh quality and depth as 12 years a slave.

Notice how 12 years a slave is not a blockbuster movie where every parent, child and there dog goes and pays to see.

Its always in depth quality movies that make the cut. So get of horse in assuming the oscars offer awards to trash type movies and actors/actresses.

if thats the case, the likes of denzel washington and daniel day lewis should NEVER win oscars.

Seriously? Mackelmore? Daniel day lewis? yea ok

Yes i do actually.

I bet you 12 years a slave and/or wolf of wall street will win oscars this year compared to a trash type of movie like paranoma activity part 10 or that new movie ride along LOL.

seriously this kid Macklemore is like the movie Ride Along and Kendrick Lamar is 12 years a slave.

no ****ing comparison yet 10/10 times the oscars pick a movie of teh quality and depth as 12 years a slave.

Notice how 12 years a slave is not a blockbuster movie where every parent, child and there dog goes and pays to see.

Its always in depth quality movies that make the cut. So get of horse in assuming the oscars offer awards to trash type movies and actors/actresses.

if thats the case, the likes of denzel washington and daniel day lewis should NEVER win oscars.

Seriously? Mackelmore? Daniel day lewis? yea ok

If you think that the Oscars honours the best of the best then you could not be more mistaken. A best oscar award is nothing more than an award that the studio buys, sure good films are nominated and 12 Years a Slave is a very good film but it's a long way from the best film released in the past year.

You do realise that were it not for films such as Ride Along and Paranormal Activity there would not be smaller films such as 12 Years produced and released. Many of the same people who go to see PA 3 will also go to see 12 Years a Slave, it's not like both films are aimed at entirely different audiences and honestly I find the condescending way people treat the average film goer to be rather insulting.

Ride Along is hardly going to set the world alight but that doesn't mean that it's bad. A little easy to digest crap can be exactly what you want some Friday night. Just becuase it's not trying to be high prow and preach a message does not mean there is anything wrong with it.

Same goes for Macklemore, his music is hardly cutting edge but the guy has talent and some of his tracks are up there with the best releases of the past year. Lamar is likewise good but I have to say that I find him incrediably overrated. People make out like he's the most original voice in rap in decades yet I'd take R.A. The Rugged man over him any day of the week. Lamar is more Ride Along than he is 12 Years A Slave, his reecent work has been made and marketed toward more commercial tastes and that he's contirbuting a track to that god awful looking Divergent films says a lot.

This one track is better than anything on Lamar's last album

If you think that the Oscars honours the best of the best then you could not be more mistaken. A best oscar award is nothing more than an award that the studio buys, sure good films are nominated and 12 Years a Slave is a very good film but it's a long way from the best film released in the past year.

You do realise that were it not for films such as Ride Along and Paranormal Activity there would not be smaller films such as 12 Years produced and released. Many of the same people who go to see PA 3 will also go to see 12 Years a Slave, it's not like both films are aimed at entirely different audiences and honestly I find the condescending way people treat the average film goer to be rather insulting.

Ride Along is hardly going to set the world alight but that doesn't mean that it's bad. A little easy to digest crap can be exactly what you want some Friday night. Just becuase it's not trying to be high prow and preach a message does not mean there is anything wrong with it.

Same goes for Macklemore, his music is hardly cutting edge but the guy has talent and some of his tracks are up there with the best releases of the past year. Lamar is likewise good but I have to say that I find him incrediably overrated. People make out like he's the most original voice in rap in decades yet I'd take R.A. The Rugged man over him any day of the week. Lamar is more Ride Along than he is 12 Years A Slave, his reecent work has been made and marketed toward more commercial tastes and that he's contirbuting a track to that god awful looking Divergent films says a lot.

This one track is better than anything on Lamar's last album

Name me a bad un-deservedly actor and movie of recent that won an oscar?

i can think of millions of well deserved awards.

If you think daniel day lewis, The late Philip seymore hoffman etc etc are all not some of the best actors alive then jesus you really dont have a clue im afraid.

You will never see a "Friday night turn off your brain movie" win a oscar for best movie. Not in a million years.

Only the best quality movies win it. not turn off your brain rehersed predictable crap but things with quality and uniqness to it.

If there was a friday turn your brain off movie that was done in a very unique interesting way rarely/never done and done perfectly then yes that deserves to be mentioned in the oscars but this terrible lame rapper Mackelmore? Not even close. Doesnt offer nothing original/refreshing. Poor execution, Poor lyrics and storytelling. Absolute awful and a perfect example of a movie like PA 3 winning a freaking oscar.

Guess what. Oscars nominate and award rewards to Good quality movies/people, not rubbish.

Like i said, watch 12 years a slave wrap up awards in a few weeks and dont be surprised of Leonardo dicaprio wins an award too(yet another fine actor, one of the best out there)

Name me a bad un-deservedly actor and movie of recent that won an oscar?

i can think of millions of well deserved awards.

If you think daniel day lewis, The late Philip seymore hoffman etc etc are all not some of the best actors alive then jesus you really dont have a clue im afraid.

You will never see a "Friday night turn off your brain movie" win a oscar for best movie. Not in a million years.

Only the best quality movies win it. not turn off your brain rehersed predictable crap but things with quality and uniqness to it.

If there was a friday turn your brain off movie that was done in a very unique interesting way rarely/never done and done perfectly then yes that deserves to be mentioned in the oscars but this terrible lame rapper Mackelmore? Not even close. Doesnt offer nothing original/refreshing. Poor execution, Poor lyrics and storytelling. Absolute awful and a perfect example of a movie like PA 3 winning a freaking oscar.

Guess what. Oscars nominate and award rewards to Good quality movies/people, not rubbish.

Like i said, watch 12 years a slave wrap up awards in a few weeks and dont be surprised of Leonardo dicaprio wins an award too(yet another fine actor, one of the best out there)

No one is saying that trashy fluff will get nominated or win but that's not to say those films are without merit. You seem to hold the Oscars in high esteem and view what they pick as the best of the best. If that's true then you really are missing out on some of the best cinema out there.

Do you think that The Return of the King, Argo, The Artist,
    The King's Speech, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Million Dollar Baby, The Departed, Slumdog Millionaire and the Hurt Locker were the best films of their respective years? Honestly if you do then you must not watch a lot of films. The Oscars are not a celebration of the best of the best rather a celebration of what films the studios felt most secure putting tens of milliosn of dollars into selling to the Oscar voters. Look back over any year and you will find ridicolous oversights, generic crowd pleasing fare getting nominated and actors getting nominated because people felt they were owed it.

You seem to think that there are only two kinds of film, Oscar worthy films and fluff and use the Oscars as some judge of quality. A lot of brainless Friday night fluff can be rather damn good and many of the Oscar selections are amongst the blandest and safest films imaginable. You say only films that are unique get Oscar nominations, what's so unique about American Hustle, Philomena, Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, Gravity or Captain Phillips? Sure they tell interesting stories but you can find a dozen similiar films relesed in the past. Hell Captain Phillips isn't even the best film about pirates hijacking a ship released last year.

Awards mean nothing, any good producer can buy one for his film or album and if you use them to judge an artist then you are losing out. You seem to have a thing for Macklemore, while I hardly think he's all that great he is far superior to a lot of what was released in the past year. I'd take the Heist over pretty much any gangster rap album of the past decade and the man can tell a story with the best of them.

• Advertisement

Have you even seen any of the movies you mentioned:Do you think that The Return of the King, Argo, The Artist,
    The King's Speech, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Million Dollar Baby, The Departed, Slumdog Millionaire and the Hurt Locker

Most of those if not all are quality material. Not crap like what's been winning things at the grammys and thats my point.

Are you seriously questioning a movie like Gravity?

Have you even seen it? Name me a film that's VERY similar to gravity in terms of depth, camera work, atmospher and production in a very simple storyline.

Gravity is the PERFECT example i told you about a friday night turn your brain off movie done in a unique/refreshing way.

You just made my point again

Have you even seen any of the movies you mentioned:Do you think that The Return of the King, Argo, The Artist,
    The King's Speech, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Million Dollar Baby, The Departed, Slumdog Millionaire and the Hurt Locker

Most of those if not all are quality material. Not crap like what's been winning things at the grammys and thats my point.

Are you seriously questioning a movie like Gravity?

Have you even seen it? Name me a film that's VERY similar to gravity in terms of depth, camera work, atmospher and production in a very simple storyline.

Gravity is the PERFECT example i told you about a friday night turn your brain off movie done in a unique/refreshing way.

You just made my point again

I've seen every one of those films and while they are good not one of them is the best film released in their respective years. Your point is incredibly flawed, you say that the Grammy's nominate and let crap win yet the Oscars only nominate the best of the best. How can one award be so right all the time and the other so wrong when both operate in the same manner.

Neither award ceremony is in any way representative of the best of the best. The Oscars pick safe, crowd pleasers and producers such as Harvey Weinstein buy their best picture awards. Why do you think they send out gifts to the voters worth tens of thousands of dollars?

It's exactly the same as what the Grammy judges do. Macklemore is the musical equivalent of Gravity or 12 Years a Slave. He's safe, easy to life and sends out a message that appeals to the masses.

Gravity was a good film and it looked great but honestly it wouldn't even be in the top ten of last year. And if you want similar films then check out Sunshine, Solaris, Love, Duel, Silent Running, Open Water and Alive. All of them tell a similar story in an interesting way. And Love is visually far more inventive and interesting than Gravity and was shot in the directors back garden for less than the catering budget of Gravity. Also Gravity is not a film that I would use as an example of great camera work given that it was all done in a computer. It looks great but there's nothing all that interesting about any of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gravity was visaully a good flick with a decent story. But when a movie throws in uneccessary effects and scenes specifically for a 3D audience (and for the trailer), that grinds my gears.

You could compare that to an up and coming rapper that is throwing money at guest appearances for his album to boost antipation of an album. Or throws effort into making that catchy song that doesn't compromise them, but strays from thier normal formula.

I have to agree with Darko, Gravity was good, but nowhere near the top of the pops. And it made me really dizzy, my image during shooting is of the director shouting "spin the actor, spin the camera, SPIN SOMETHING!!!!!"

One of the best movies from last year is only nominated for one award of Best Sound Mixing. I've been on a bit of a movie-a-thon lately and am watching alot of the nominated movies. Nothing so far has come near Lone Survivor in terms of acting, pace, suspence, authenticity, drama, action. But that is being overlooked because of the reasons outlined by Darko, minimal promo, no money thrown into by the studios as they have thier other movies that they are focusing on getting awards for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

There's been lots of decent but not amazing oscars winners. The hurt Locker for one was a film that I thought never lived up to the hype.

And had anybody ever say through the whole of the English Patient?

There are loads of others if you wanted to go through them.

Perhaps the better example I could have given on the emptiness of awards is The Wire's failure to win any awards except a "Peabody" award - whatever that is.

Widely acclaimed as the best show ever, and yet never actually got high ratings on TV (it was slow to gain traction and made it's money on box sets) so never got the hype machine behind it needed for Emmys and Grammys.

But honestly, just google "oscar campaign" and you'll find countless articles on the process.

Much like an indie hip-hop artist releasing a stellar under ground album independently, do you think a small indie film from first time producers and directors would have the money, skills and suction to get a large scale campaign going?

Or even manage to get their film into enough screens to be seen?

Honestly, if you believe awards are won on merit alone true incredibly naive.

And if you rely on awards to tell you what's good or bad then you desperately need to start thinking critically and independently.

And lastly, while not better than GKMC, the Heist was a great album. At the time of it's release the feedback was all ol extremely positive. But the it got popular.

But honestly, if you're only pointing to GKMC as you're example of how poor the Grammys are as indicators of quality, then you really are showing up your own ignorance.

Underground stuff like Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music didn't even get nominated. The Clipse (HHNF), Pharoahe Monch, Little Brother, Black Star, etc (just naming some of my favourites - hundreds more).

But if it takes a major label release with countless press getting nominated and not winning to show you the Grammys don't always award quality, then you either need to turn off the radio and expand your horizons or stay out of arguments about radio play and marketability trumping quality and talent.

Advertisement