Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Pah - more bloody white men. Ha!

I know who I'm backing:

561679_10151340431781630_415690440_n.jpg

Actually laughed out loud. .. full belly laugh while walking down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This campaign should certainly be re-ignited!

Father_Dougal_McGuire_for_Pope_by_brynderoy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

robindch wrote: »
    This guy's running in some Italian election soon, innit?

240622.jpg

Well, he can't be worse than the Borgias.

Too early to tell... :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

240681.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

seamus wrote: »
    Speculation around the office here is that someone was on the verge of exposing Benny's wife and family in the U.S. if he didn't resign.

Not entirely unbelievable...

Any "evidence" for this?

I am a little surprised that no one has asked you this question already on THIS forum.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Branch Meeting

This lad is one of the front runners apparently, worth a punt on Paddy Power i'd say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4ooS5H8sA

Thread starts at 11:00am today. By 5:30pm there are almost 150 posts on an Atheist forum about the Pope.

I cant decide if it is funny or pathetic but it is a little sad that some people have so little to do during the day that they have to resort to some of the stuff on this thread.

A lot of people including myself would concur with many things on this forum overall but in my opinion a thread like this lets the forum down.

240681.jpg

Is that meant to be funny.....poor form from the forum moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

jimd2 wrote: »
    Any "evidence" for this?

I am a little surprised that no one has asked you this question already on THIS forum.:D

I think when we see the phrase "Not entirely unbelievable" around here we just take it for granted it is a joke.

After all after 18+ years of asking for evidence for the existence of god "Not entirely unbelievable" is probably how I would adumbrate the quality of the responses I have gotten back thus far.

Usually it comes in the form of the phrase "Well can you prove there is no god?" or "Well what is your explanation for the universe?" but "Not entirely unbelievable" is generally the gist of the spam these people pump out in a kind of nike "Just do it" kind of vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Thread starts at 11:00am today. By 5:30pm there are almost 150 posts on an Atheist forum about the Pope.

I cant decide if it is funny or pathetic but it is a little sad that some people have so little to do during the day that they have to resort to some of the stuff on this thread.

A lot of people including myself would concur with many things on this forum overall but in my opinion a thread like this lets the forum down.

Yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There was no Pope Jack VII so it's factually inaccurate too, but that's a minor detail I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Think you're reading too much into memes. There's a public outcry for Jack or Dougal to get the role. Personally, I think Ted is undervalued and deserves the role if only for his quality judging of the lovely girls contest.

For the punters out there, currently at 50/1, I'd say this lad would be worth an ante post punt on Paddy Power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Here are ten reasons to be pleased that Pope Benedict is resigning.
    1. He has international political influence through the Vatican
    2. His Vatican works with Islamic States to oppose gay rights
    3. He blames atheism for Nazi Germany and lack of virtue
    4. His Catholic Church claims that atheists are not fully human
    5. He protects the Vatican ahead of child sex abuse victims
    6. He blames secularisation for priests raping children
    7. His Vatican compares child sex abuse with ordaining women
    8. He offered free plenary indulgences to Lourdes pilgrims
    9. He is skeptical that there were donkeys in the crib
    10. He silences priests who want a more democratic church

More details on each of these reasons here.

Unfortunately, his successor will be selected by cardinals many of whom benedict has himself appointed, so we can't really expect too much change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭smokingman

Any "evidence" for this?

You never watched father Ted? Y'know...the one with bishop Brennan?...where the lads were protesting the "bad" movie?...and Jack got hold of the video of him on his holiday?...you remember?....you were wearing your blue jumper....

1. He has international political influence through the Vatican
    2. His Vatican works with Islamic States to oppose gay rights
    3. He blames atheism for Nazi Germany and lack of virtue
    4. His Catholic Church claims that atheists are not fully human
    5. He protects the Vatican ahead of child sex abuse victims
    6. He blames secularisation for priests raping children
    7. His Vatican compares child sex abuse with ordaining women
    8. He offered free plenary indulgences to Lourdes pilgrims
    9. He is skeptical that there were donkeys in the crib
    10. He silences priests who want a more democratic church

Unfortunately, his successor will be selected by cardinals many of whom benedict has himself appointed, so we can't really expect too much change.

As the saying goes, the Pope is dead, long live the Pope

Any links for the more controversial claims ? (I'm not really interested in Donkey's not being in the stable)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thinking about his move over coffee earlier on, the obvious cleverness finally dawned -- with a previous pope watching over their shoulders, the cardinals electing a new one are going to have a hard time electing a guy they know Ratzinger will disapprove of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Those are the reasons I'm sorry to see him go. His stone age ideas and actions have alienated so many people in the western world that it has done more to help the atheism and secularisation movements than anything else. I would be afraid the next Pope might not be as disliked thus not being enough of a push to cause people to step back and look at how ridiculous the rcc (and religion in general) is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

1. He is skeptical that there were donkeys in the crib

That's by far the relevant of lies.

Thinking about his move over coffee earlier on, the obvious cleverness finally dawned -- with a previous pope watching over their shoulders, the cardinals electing a new one are going to have a hard time electing a guy they know Ratzinger will disapprove of.

I don't think this was a factor at all.....then again we probably will never know.

smokingman wrote: »
    You never watched father Ted? Y'know...the one with bishop Brennan?...where the lads were protesting the "bad" movie?...and Jack got hold of the video of him on his holiday?...you remember?....you were wearing your blue jumper....

No can't say I remember that episode.

There was no Pope Jack VII so it's factually inaccurate too, but that's a minor detail I suppose.

I realise that, I was just pointing out that there was very little effort to tone down some of the stuff on this thread and the moderator joined in with that effort that wasn't particularly funny.

Anyway, it wasn't all that bad- not a big issue.

Bill Gates did an AMA on reddit today. 23,000 karma.

The story of Bennys resignation - 5,900 karma.

What a difference a generation makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Any links for the more controversial claims ? (I'm not really interested in Donkey's not being in the stable)
    There are source links for most of them in the link in the first post. I'll try to add more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This just in - The Vatican has announced that in the interests of moving the Roman Catholic Church into the 20th century*, the selection of the new Pope will be filmed for a TV series.

...wait for it...

"Pope Idol"

* [sic]

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I realise that, I was just pointing out that there was very little effort to tone down some of the stuff on this thread and the moderator joined in with that effort that wasn't particularly funny.

Lighten up dude. He's not dead, just pining for the fjords resigning.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It was a bonus episode in the BoxSet. You might find it on netflix?

FWIW, I thought pope Jack looked rather fetching in his big hat. Feck! Ar5e! Plenary indulgence!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

(I'm not really interested in Donkey's not being in the stable)
    Look, if we can't account for the source of the equine DNA, we don't have full traceability, or Apostolic Succession as some call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Seriously? Well, there's still hope for you, my child. The Internet is your 'saviour'. Go now!