Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

from the article i quoted above:

is it just me who thinks of cattle when they hear the word salesians?

I always think they are some sort of bargain hunting shopping cult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

from the article i quoted above:

is it just me who thinks of cattle when they hear the word salesians?

I remember coming home from my school tour in Germany back in the day, we met a group from the Salesian convent in Limerick coming back from their one in France. They had 11 teachers with them, to guard 6 girls. Madness.

We had 6 teachers for 40 students, and they didn't even try to stop me drinking over in Germany (at 15 I was still underage even over there).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joe_Christ

seamus wrote: »
    Confirmed by the Vatican:

http://www.thejournal.ie/pope-resigning-790841-Feb2013/

A little disappointed. He's a such a backwards aul prick that he was doing more to turn people away from the the church than any secular campaign.

So true! Thank god the church don't realise how much damage they do to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There's actually a Salesians' branch on campus here at NUIM...what's funny about it is their patron or whatever is called "Don Bosco", and now I can imagine Bosco the redheaded puppet as a sort of crime boss! :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

From a strange-looking website:

http://itccs.org/2013/02/14/pope-benedict-to-seek-immunity-and-protection-from-italian-president-giorgio-napolitano-on-february-23/
    http://itccs.org/2013/02/13/pope-benedict-resigned-to-avoid-arrest-seizure-of-church-wealth-by-easter/

Summary: Ratzinger resigned because on February 1st, a diplomatic message was delivered from one European government to the Vatican's number two, Tarcisio Bertone, indicating that the same European country would issue an arrest warrant on February 15th for Ratzinger, alleging crimes against humanity and orchestrating a criminal conspiracy. Furthermore, Ratzinger is visiting the Italian president next week in order to negotiate immunity from prosecution, which is presumably why he's announced -- oddly -- that he'll be retiring within the Vatican's walls.

Make of it what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    From a strange-looking website:

http://itccs.org/2013/02/14/pope-benedict-to-seek-immunity-and-protection-from-italian-president-giorgio-napolitano-on-february-23/
    http://itccs.org/2013/02/13/pope-benedict-resigned-to-avoid-arrest-seizure-of-church-wealth-by-easter/

Summary: Ratzinger resigned because on February 1st, a diplomatic message was delivered from one European government to the Vatican's number two, Tarcisio Bertone, indicating that the same European country would issue an arrest warrant on February 15th for Ratzinger, alleging crimes against humanity and orchestrating a criminal conspiracy. Furthermore, Ratzinger is visiting the Italian president next week in order to negotiate immunity from prosecution, which is presumably why he's announced -- oddly -- that he'll be retiring within the Vatican's walls.

Make of it what you will.

Very interesting, but I'm not going to believe it until I see it from a reputable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Vatileaks II: The Butler Strikes Back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTignkVhyjjrDyhBy8jFUnQOnTa5vLwKT5bBavuBTr3ctT0rB5wzQEx-Pope Benedict has gone into hiding after an angry deity narrowly missed him with a lightning bolt, following his resignation as head of the influential RCC.
    They say you can never leave, but I aim to prove them wrong. Its a free world, and this is the 21st century. He can't just go around smiting people He disagrees with.
    Benny released his statement from a secret monastery hideaway, believed to be in the remote Ural Mountains of western Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I was thinking earlier that certain groups are going to latch onto the meteor shower as an angry god.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Stark wrote: »

Wonder if himself and Julian will become pen pals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

That's a pretty biased source, until its on more reputable sites i wouldn't take much heed of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

kylith wrote: »
    Very interesting, but I'm not going to believe it until I see it from a reputable source.
    Neither would I and especially since there's been no news anywhere about this arrest warrant and nothing at all today, when it was supposed to be delivered (presumably he'd be just as guilty as elected pope, as soon-to-retire pope?). So, it's much more likely to be just bluster from some disaffected punter and a lucky coincidence of dates.

Still, though, its's peculiar that Ratzinger would announce that he's going to retire to a monastery within the Vatican grounds. That's not going to make things easier for his successor, unless of course as I mentioned above somewhere, he wanted to hang around, just slightly off-stage, to make sure that things continue to go the way he's had them going for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

robindch wrote: »
    240681.jpg

Genius...That's classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

This is incredible if true! The pope allegedly seeks immunity from child sex charges!

http://www.stuartwilde.com/2013/02/popeseeks-immunity-protection-from-italian-president/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Possible Contender for next pope who ticks the boxes for St Malachy's Prophecy of Popes.

Paddy Power 7/1.

x5b0iv.jpg

Bertoni engineered the sacking of Gotti Tedeschi, who was head of the Vatican Bank last May. I believe that Ratsinger was also recently blackmailed into resignation by Bertoni in order to oust him out of office to that he could take over.

As I mentioned Cardinal Bertone's full name contains Pietro (Something omitted from Paddy Powers list of just 2 St Malachy's contenders) He is also from Romano a provence in Canavese Turino (A Roman). You put two and two together and you have "Peter the Roman". "Petrus Romanus"

From the Italian version of Wikipedia:

"Tarcisio Pietro Evasio Bertone (Romano Canavese, 2 dicembre 1934) è un cardinale e arcivescovo cattolico italiano. È Segretario di Stato Vaticano dal 2006 e ricopre dal 2007 la carica di Camerlengo di Santa Romana Chiesa."

From the English version of Wikipedia

English = Peter The Roman!.
    Italian = Pietro Romano!
    Latin = Petrus Romanus!

tarcisio-bertone-pic.jpg

The anagram of "Tarcisio" spells "Iscariot" (Judas Iscariot). :eek:

The Devil is in the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The Devil is in the detail.

You mean like the detail of you being fooled by a bad photoshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

"Protecting paedophiles is a young man's game." Jimmy Dore

And we break for some light relief:

382173_617247918301269_358539394_n.jpg

The uncanny Tarcisio / Iscariot anagram I am referring to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Possible Contender for next pope who ticks the boxes for St Malachy's Prophecy of Popes.

x5b0iv.jpg

Jayzes, no wonder he chose a life of celibacy.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    He reminds me of this.

25kn32a.jpg

This use to scare the crap out of me as a kid. (Cassells Book of knowledge)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And we break for some light relief:

It is unrealistic and unreasonable to expect the Roman Catholic Church to embrace the 21st century when they have yet to enter the 20th ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It is unrealistic and unreasonable to expect the Roman Catholic Church to embrace the 21st century when they have yet to enter the 20th ;)

I don't think they've entered the 18th yet judging by how Un-Enlightened they are.

I think they have PTSD from the Reformation...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

From the link:
    In response to the February 23 meeting, the International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State (ITCCS), through its field Secretary, Rev. Kevin Annett, has written to President Napolitano, asking him to refrain from assisting Ratzinger in evading justice.

Unrepentant documents Canada’s dirty secret – the planned genocide of aboriginal people in church-run Indian Residential Schools – and a clergyman’s efforts to document and make public these crimes.First-hand testimonies from residential school survivors are interwoven with Kevin Annett’s own story of how he faced firing, de-frocking, and the loss of his family, reputation and livelihood as a result of his efforts to help survivors and bring out the truth of the residential schools.
    This saga continues, as Annett continues a David and Goliath struggle to hold the government and churches of Canada accountable for crimes against humanity, and the continued theft of aboriginal land.
    Unrepentant took nineteen months to film, primarily in British Columbia and Alberta, and is based on Kevin Annett’s book Hidden from History: The Canadian Holocaust. The entire film was a self-funded, grassroots effort, which is reflected in its earthy and human quality.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/unrepentant-kevin-annett-canadas-genocide/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

x5b0iv.jpg
    He reminds me of this.

25kn32a.jpg

Hardly fair to say, considering that's another terrible photoshop job. (Why do you keep posting those anyway?)

Cardinal_tarcisio_bertone.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I hope they pick the worst pope ever. Of course, when I say they I mean god.

Liamario wrote: »
    I hope they pick the worst pope ever. Of course, when I say they I mean god.

Given some of the charmers who have already been pope that is a tall order...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

Christ! He looks like Gollum. Look at his nice fat gold chain...'My precioussss...'.

• Advertisement

M'thinks there is summat afoot.

Pope Benedict's decision to live in the Vatican after he resigns will provide him with security and privacy. It will also offer legal protection from any attempt to prosecute him in connection with sexual abuse cases around the world, Church sources and legal experts say....

...Benedict is currently not named specifically in any other case. The Vatican does not expect any more but is not ruling out the possibility...

..."(If he lived anywhere else) then we might have those crazies who are filing lawsuits, or some magistrate might arrest him like other (former) heads of state have been for alleged acts while he was head of state," one source said.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/15/us-pope-resignation-immunity-idUSBRE91E0ZI20130215

'those crazies'.... damn those loonies who think that those who control the running of an organisation should be ultimately responsible for the actions of their subordinates and held to account...

*****e, I have only 2 boxes of microwavable popcorn - hafta get more*

Advertisement