Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Oh man, this thread is going to be a classic.

Over here in YankLand, they are saying that HBO's documentary had something to do with his "resignation":
    After 2001, Cardinal Ratzinger got all sex abuse cases sent to his office. So Cardinal Ratzinger actually knows more about clerical sex abuse than any human being on the planet. And then he became pope. But it was while he was Cardinal Ratzinger that the case of Murphy was brought to the Congregation [for] the Doctrine of the Faith.

You can see the trailer here:

http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/mea_maxima_culpa

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

jimd2 wrote: »

Oh god, it's a sign.
    I am now going to give up rational thinking and prostrate myself in front of the nearest inanimate object and beg for salvation.

Or I'll just continue watching the Simpsons on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

A sign from God, or a sign that Benjamin Franklin was right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't think this was a factor at all.....then again we probably will never know.

While we probably wont ever know and while it is possible, you are probably right to approach ideas, with no evidence for them, with large amounts of skepticism. Shame it's not done more often, eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Lightning?

So its true then.....

Pope Benedict is Count Dooku!

(They do have a lot of similarities when you think about it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Uncanny. 2 fictional icons leading hordes of deluded fans

Benny's legacy.

Nazi. Hilter youth and german army deserter.

Head of the Department of cover ups and silenced children in the vatican. Promoted

Pope (one of many current catholic popes) of RCC.

Not that I am surprised that this has been let go (we have already done this)but he was never a member of the Nazi party.

To those that are complaining about the media making a big deal about this as was noted earlier this is 'news' as we define it or do you not get irony?

Will be interesting who takes over. Id say a real power struggle is underway in Rome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

pauldla wrote: »
    A sign from God, or a sign that Benjamin Franklin was right?

Benjamin Franklin was Pope?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Kivaro wrote: »
    [...] prostate myself in front of the nearest inanimate object [...]
    Sounds painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

149411_435380733208786_1435839646_n.jpg

531641_600876873260394_519747124_n.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

When O when will this stop being on the news? I've had quite enough of the Sky-appointed Catholic expert raving about her favoured candidate, on the basis that his policy on AIDS in Africa - 'you know, just abstain, no need for condoms' - is apparently both 'revolutionary' and 'charismatic'.

Really? On a day that North Korea edges closer to delivering a global nuclear threat, we need to understand what white smoke means?

And the number of Catholics worldwide is increasing by the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I'm going with a scandal of grandiose magnitude!

I'm going to say that José Mourinho's departure from Real has been finalised, and the Vatican is making the way clear for his true calling, being the Special One and all.

From what I gather Ratzinger is very much a pragmatist. If he does not have the capacity to address world events within days then he is of no use to the RCC.

If that were the case he would have refused elevation, and not politicked for the job in the first place. Ratzinger was never going to be a person to be able to ensure meaningful interaction between the catholic church and the real world.

Sarky wrote: »
    Awaiting a whine from one of the usual suspects that he was hounded out by the vicious black-hearted anti-catholic liberal agenda.

Nobody expects the vicious black-hearted anti-catholic liberal agenda!

Our weapon is suprise, and ruthless efficiency.

Our two weapons are suprise, ruthless efficiency, and a total adherence to our ideals.

&c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Unfortunately this song won't be relevant for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Unfortunately this song won't be relevant for much longer.
    Considering it appears that the issue of child abuse was well known and covered up by the vatican and the higher echelons of the church there is probably a good chance that it will be very relevant to benny's successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The lightning touched the dome of St. Peter's Basilica, one of the holiest Catholic churches, after the Pope's shock admission he lacks strength to do the job.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read something like this. Even if we delve into the ol' Christian mindset, how can one church be more holy than another? The mind boggles.

What they actually mean is, this Church occupies the most wealth. So, apparently money = holiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I don't know... I was out for a walk on Sunday along the beach when I heard a strange sound and looking up I felt splashes as if drops of water were falling on my head. I ran home and told everyone to obey me but they were unbelievers.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read something like this. Even if we delve into the ol' Christian mindset, how can one church be more holy than another? The mind boggles.
    To be fair, that's written by a Mirror journo!

Complete with photoshopped lightning strike. :)

My favourite so far

563027_559139490777974_890117918_n.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

240751.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Knex. wrote: »

What they actually mean is, this Church occupies the most wealth. So, apparently money = holiness.

This is true.

A couple of weeks ago a certain mass-goer informed me that since the RCC is the biggest and wealthiest church, it is the best. My reply was: "A bit like Man Utd then?"

Every soccer fan, for instance, believes that their team is the best, the one true team.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

This is true.

A couple of weeks ago a certain mass-goer informed me that since the RCC is the biggest and wealthiest church, it is the best. My reply was: "A bit like Man Utd then?"

Every soccer fan, for instance, believes that their team is the best, the one true team.

Yeah that's childish. That person might want to question why exactly they go to church

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Branch Meeting

Dades wrote: »
    To be fair, that's written by a Mirror journo!

Complete with photoshopped lightning strike. :)

Seems the BBC were fooled as well, they've posted a 'video' of it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21421810

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Branch Meeting

doctoremma wrote: »
    When O when will this stop being on the news? I've had quite enough of the Sky-appointed Catholic expert raving about her favoured candidate, on the basis that his policy on AIDS in Africa - 'you know, just abstain, no need for condoms' - is apparently both 'revolutionary' and 'charismatic'.

Really? On a day that North Korea edges closer to delivering a global nuclear threat, we need to understand what white smoke means?

And the number of Catholics worldwide is increasing by the hour.

Ahhhhhhhhhh It buuuurrnnnnnsses . . . . . . . . . . .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Seems the BBC were fooled as well, they've posted a 'video' of it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21421810
    F*ck me it was real! I'd better watch what I say in future about the beardy bollocks in the clouds! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

This is true.

Football is worse than religion.

You can change your religion, but you can't change your football team.

Advertisement