Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

qwert2 wrote: »
    Of course you are. I'm just curious why an atheist would be interested in this topic and in some cases spend a lot of energy on it

Because, the Catholic church is an organistaion that, in my opinion, holds back society to a certain, if not large, extent. It directly affects us on a daily basis.

At least now that backward thinking git is out of his position, and hopefully a more modern thinking man can take his place. Although, modern thinking and the Catholic church is a bit of an oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Of course you are. I'm just curious why an atheist would be interested in this topic and in some cases spend a lot of energy on it

Why are you interested in why we're interested in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Why are you guys interested in this?

Possibly a result of our forced catholic indoctrination but more likely to be the sign of a dark sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

He get's his strength from god but has to quit due to lack of strength!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pope Bono to be unveiled on Easter Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Why are you guys interested in this?

Supreme Head of international organisation which instructed it's public representatives to lobby the government of our country to ignore the will of the electorate resigns...

Yeah, nothing to do with us atheists.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Ironically, the Pope can leave when he wants...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its worldwide news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Ironically, the Pope can leave when he wants...

In fairness he hasn't exactly made a break for the walls of the Vatican city and declared himself the antichrist :pac: He's stuck with the rest of us for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Does that mean I'm useless now? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Door.

Way out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yup.
    You will have to subscribe and request the new popes name.
    I'm sure you can come up with something equally amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

cowzerp wrote: »
    He get's his strength from god but has to quit due to lack of strength!

64872_600405436653096_1240177901_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Subscribe > name change > PopeVader

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The last pope to resign was Gregory XII, who did so in order to end Western Schism.

Has anybody suggested yet that Ratzinger's resigned in order to prevent a possible schism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Supreme Head of international organisation which instructed it's public representatives to lobby the government of our country to ignore the will of the electorate resigns...

Meh, supreme heads of all international organisations do this.

If the CEO of Philip Morris resigned it wouldn't get as much press. And they lobby to be allowed poison the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Why didn't god heal Benny, make him stronger, use some magic dust on him and give him new life? With all of god's awesome powers he could even help Benny to get younger, with one wave of his holy wand.

'The Curious Case of Benedict Button. ' ;)

But alas, he just gets old like anyone else. One might be lead to believe that there was no god, and these old farts in fancy dress, are just chancers.

I'd say he was forced out, due to him having zero charisma, and a creepy smile. The pope is the head salesman of RCC corp. and he's not helping their sales.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Meh, supreme heads of all international organisations do this.

If the CEO of Philip Morris resigned it wouldn't get as much press. And they lobby to be allowed poison the electorate.

Yes, and the CEO of Phillip Morris claims to speak for God and commands his sales reps to stand in tobacconists extolling their congregation to lobby the government and uses threats of eternal damnation to get said congregation to obey....

Hmmmmm.....Your analogy doesn't really stand up does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also, the head of Philip Morris is most likely lobbying for less restrictions on people's lives, whereas the RCC spends its time trying to get governments to enforce a racist, sexist and bigoted code which aims to restrict rights and freedoms on the basis of some hallucinations a desert farmer had 4000 years ago.

At least Philip Morris are upfront and just want people to smoke so they can make money. A little more honesty like that from the RCC and we'd all be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Awaiting a whine from one of the usual suspects that he was hounded out by the vicious black-hearted anti-catholic liberal agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Yes, and the CEO of Phillip Morris claims to speak for God and commands his sales reps to stand in tobacconists extolling their congregation to lobby the government and uses threats of eternal damnation to get said congregation to obey....

Hmmmmm.....Your analogy doesn't really stand up does it?

You're free to ignore threats of eternal damnation. I certainly do :pac:

I don't believe in god. And I know it's been said a million times, but the rabidly anti-church people on here are madder then the rabidly pro-church people. Certainly more obessed with religion!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sarky wrote: »
    Awaiting a whine from one of the usual suspects that he was hounded out by the vicious black-hearted anti-catholic liberal agenda.
    No doubt as we speak, Mr Waters is penning an article about how the "unchecked" pace of life in the modern world was just too much for an old man to cope with, a sure sign that we all need to stop and think about just what else we are losing by allowing ourselves to be swept up in the modern world.

I don't believe in god. And I know it's been said a million times, but the rabidly anti-church people on here are madder then the rabidly pro-church people. Certainly more obessed with religion!

What can I say - I consider being told by an organisation which is lobbying my government to try and prevent them allowing me to marry my OH with added comment that if I do get to marry my OH I am a threat to humanity as an attack on my civil liberties

Silly anti-church me. I should just ignore them and turn the other cheek eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What can I say - I consider being told by an organisation which is lobbying my government to try and prevent them allowing me to marry my OH with added comment that if I do get to marry my OH I am a threat to humanity as an attack on my civil liberties

Silly anti-church me. I should just ignore them and turn the other cheek eh?

What would Jesus do? ;)

One is not free to ignore laws, though. And since the church actively campaigns to have Ireland ban things like equal marriages, life-saving medical procedures and certain human rights, they're kind of a big f*cking deal.

Perhaps you don't have a problem with Ireland making laws that restrict or criminalise people based on 2000 years of religious bigotry?

eviltwin wrote: »
    What would Jesus do? ;)

Have a tantrum in a temple.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Not this again.

eviltwin wrote: »

What would Jesus do? ;)

Get a whip and drive the f*cking moneylenders from the temple.

Attabear wrote: »
    Not this again.

Shuddup and help me get this sandwich board on...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Definitley more going on here than what we're being told...

Anyway, this will set a healthy precedent whereby not every pope is saying mass barely able to speak or communicate

Advertisement