Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Branch Meeting

Football is worse than religion.

You can change your religion, but you can't change your football team.

They should brake free from their indoctrination.
    Any sane rational intelligent scientific skeptic would in the case of Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

They should brake free from their indoctrination.
    Any sane rational intelligent scientific skeptic would in the case of Liverpool.
    It can be even worse than that.

I'm stuck with Bohemians and Leeds. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

That would turn anyone into an atheist:)

Oh no, the Jehovah Witnesses's of the football world. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Football is worse than religion.

You can change your religion, but you can't change your football team.

Lies. I used to support a team in primary school, (mostly to fit in), but once I realised that football is actually kinda boring, I stopped having any team at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm an à la carte Juventus fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Uh...what would you guys say about an F1 heathen like myself? :o

Uh...what would you guys say about an F1 heathen like myself? :o

Mormons

Dades wrote: »
    I'm an à la carte Juventus fan.
    My brother is the ultimate à la carte Juventus fan.

He doesn't support Juventus, but specifically Juventus 1996.

He then followed the subsequent careers of Vialli, Del Piero, Ravanelli etc as opposed to Juventus itself.

Sarky wrote: »
    Lies. I used to support a team in primary school, (mostly to fit in), but once I realised that football is actually kinda boring, I stopped having any team at all.
    You seem to think that you can opt out.

There is no procedure for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You seem to think that you can opt out.

There is no procedure for that :)

They excommunicate one if one wins a cap in Rugby.

*said she smugly*

It was sooo worth the snapped achilles and thrice broken nose - not the black eye an Ulster player gave me in a line-out, that was sectarian.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My brother is the ultimate à la carte Juventus fan.

He doesn't support Juventus, but specifically Juventus 1996.
    He was just too late to witness their greatest player ever! I still have a no. 10 jersey in homage to The Divine Ponytail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

This topic has entered territory that I'm completely unfamiliar with. I've never understood how watching people kicking a ball around a pitch can be considered entertaining. :pac: Historical wars are so much cooler.........

Corkfeen wrote: »
    This topic has entered territory that I'm completely unfamiliar with. I've never understood how watching people kicking a ball around a pitch can be considered entertaining. :pac: Historical wars are so much cooler.........

But much harder to get tickets for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    But much harder to get tickets for....

Ahem, there was a series for it..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Commanders

unbelievers :rolleyes:

Ahem, there was a series for it..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Commanders

Pah. Pixels don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

pauldla wrote: »
    Ringo Starr would make an excellent Pope, I always thought.

BEST MOVIE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Buzzfeed's got the 25 Gayest Pictures of The Pope.

Sample:

enhanced-buzz-10940-1360613983-14.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Sarky wrote: »

Haha
    You said you stopped having any team at all
    Good one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Rat Scurries from the Vat

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Apparently he had a heart put in a few weeks ago

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/12/pope-benedict-surgery-pacemaker-batteries

Might also explain the need for a lightening storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Apparently he had a heart put in a few weeks ago

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/12/pope-benedict-surgery-pacemaker-batteries

Might also explain the need for a lightening storm.

thor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Dades wrote: »
    F*ck me it was real! I'd better watch what I say in future about the beardy bollocks in the clouds! :pac:

Nah that was just Offler, the Crocodile God. Everybody knows he has a hair trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Kivaro wrote: »
    thor.jpg

More like:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReW0X0FAnG8xgHWf2T4q9dKgtiHh317P1t6rAJlgQhI3Gmt8M1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I wonder if the Pope is going to be fully committed to his remaining days at work. I bet he starts dossing. Going soft on people in confessions, half genuflecting at the altar, not saying his prayers before bedtime. Twould make ya sick.

I bet the Harry Potter fan club President wouldn't be that lazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have we had this yet?
    The key insight, that few commentators seem to understand, is that there are two separate and historically rival entities in the Vatican: The Holy See and The Roman Curia. The Holy See is the office of the Pope. The Roman Curia is the government ministries and the bureaucracy which also controls the cash. Think of the deep rivalry between the White House and Capitol Hill in The West Wing and you begin to get the idea.

If you connect the recent dots, there’s a power struggle going on (as usual) between the Roman Curia and the Holy See. The Curia is led by Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone who is backed by the Salesians (the fastest growing order in the church and on an ascending path for consolidating its power). Bertone is Secretary of State and also the Camerlengo which means he controls the Curia and will run the church when the Pope becomes too old or too ill to do his job. He would then, in effect, be the de facto pope. Papal doctors could keep an ailing pope alive for ten years which means that Bertone could run the church for a decade before the pope finally dies and there is an election. This is a very tempting and powerful proposition to an ambitious Roman prince. Bertone is the Pope’s nemesis in the Vatican.

Pope Benedict (who as Cardinal Ratzinger himself ran the church when pope John Paul II was too old) knows exactly what this means and has been trying to thwart Bertone’s stalking grab for power. The recent Vatileaks episode was evidence of all this. It was all about the Pope’s loyal butler trying to stave off Bertone and trying to protect his master, but Bertone got him anyway.

So we are left with an aging Pope, a virtual prisoner of The Holy See, running out of personal protectors, who has only one move left to keep The Holy See from the hands of Bertone and the Roman Curia. He can put the future of the church back into the hands of the College of Cardinals … by resigning! Checkmate.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/02/14/inside-the-vatican-west-wing-meets-the-da-vinci-code/?wpmp_switcher=mobile&wpmp_tp=0

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Think I'll put some money on Peter Turkson (Ghana), for no other reason than he has a smiley face.

Cardinal-Peter-Turkson-of-010.jpg
    Turns out that Mr Turkson has a less smiley side. In an interview lase year, he failed to condemn Uganda's "Kill-The-Gays" legislation. Fun to see that somebody who's the president of something called the "Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace" won't condemn murderous legislation.

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/cardinals-responds-to-u.n.s-criticism-of-africas-social-policies
    Ghanaian Cardinal Peter Turkson, president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, said some of the sanctions imposed on homosexuals in Africa are an “exaggeration,” but argued that the “intensity of the reaction is probably commensurate with tradition.”

Referring to the issue of stigma surrounding homosexuality in Africa, the cardinal said it is important to understand the reasons behind it. “Just as there’s a sense of a call for rights, there’s also a call to respect culture, of all kinds of people,” he said. “So, if it’s being stigmatized, in fairness, it’s probably right to find out why it is being stigmatized.”

Moreover, the cardinal called for a distinction to be made between moral issues and human rights. “We [the Church] push for the rights of prisoners, the rights of others; and the last thing we want to do is infringe upon the rights of anyone. But when you’re talking about what’s called ‘an alternative lifestyle,’ are those human rights?” the cardinal said. “He [Ban ki-moon] needs to recognize there’s a subtle distinction between morality and human rights, and that’s what needs to be clarified.”

Personally, I'd like to see Cardinal Robert Sarah elected, just so we can all have a good giggle at the idea of a Pope Sarah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from the article i quoted above:
    The Curia is led by Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone who is backed by the Salesians
    is it just me who thinks of cattle when they hear the word salesians?

Advertisement