Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Stinicker wrote: »
    • Ordered on the 15th of Jan
    • Got my Sky Hub Modem yesterday on the 24th with the letter stating the service was going live on the 30th
    • Got an email today saying it was gone live, so set it up

I was on Eircom's 3mb package with a pathetic 30GB download allowance and this was the reason I changed as 300Gb would be more appropriate not 30GB. Eircom worked exceptionally well except for the small download allowance and of course the price.

I am so far extremely unhappy with Sky and I am supposed to be getting 7mb as I am on a rural exchange (€27.50/month package)

My speed has dropped from 3.6mb with Eircom to 1.6mb with Sky and it is totally inconsistent with figures ranging as low as 0.9mbs and I have been downloading Ubuntu as a test and it has averaged 1.6mb and weirdly keeps timing out on Internet Download Manager also.

I will be in contact with Sky tomorrow about this and unless there is drastic changes to the service quality I will be returning to Eircom within the 14 days. I don't mind paying money for something that works well and Sky's broadband at the moment for me is utter garbage and I'd have better speeds and consistency on a flippin Three stick!

Sky do stipulate that it can take up to 10 days to get the line up to optimum speed.

Sure give them a ring(you may have to wait until Monday) but I wouldnt be so quick in jumping ship.

In the short term, have you tried the obvious, turning the hub off and back on to re-connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's the same phone line. The speeds should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

they will be testing your line for two weeks and then it should settle.mine is all over the place sincei went live.what did thesky rep tell u that your line could take

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Ordered on the 15th of Jan
    • Got my Sky Hub Modem yesterday on the 24th with the letter stating the service was going live on the 30th
    • Got an email today saying it was gone live, so set it up

I was on Eircom's 3mb package with a pathetic 30GB download allowance and this was the reason I changed as 300Gb would be more appropriate not 30GB. Eircom worked exceptionally well except for the small download allowance and of course the price.

I am so far extremely unhappy with Sky and I am supposed to be getting 7mb as I am on a rural exchange (€27.50/month package)

My speed has dropped from 3.6mb with Eircom to 1.6mb with Sky and it is totally inconsistent with figures ranging as low as 0.9mbs and I have been downloading Ubuntu as a test and it has averaged 1.6mb and weirdly keeps timing out on Internet Download Manager also.

I will be in contact with Sky tomorrow about this and unless there is drastic changes to the service quality I will be returning to Eircom within the 14 days. I don't mind paying money for something that works well and Sky's broadband at the moment for me is utter garbage and I'd have better speeds and consistency on a flippin Three stick!

You obviously have'nt read all the stuff Sky sent you or what has been posted in this thread. You have to leave the router continuously on for 10 days so that it/them can determine the max load your line can take. It has been reported by boardies that in the vast majority of cases, there has been an improvement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hopefully so, the speeds are very inconsistent, it was downloading at 7.6mb there for at least several minutes before dropping down to 4mbs, then 2mb and up to 6mb. The line is perfect so it looks like I am running in test mode so! The sky reps told me up to 7megs when they cold called me!

Thanks for the update guys I just thought I bought a pig in a poke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's true to a certain extent, but an initial sync at 1.6 mbit when 7mbit was the predicted speed is odd. Try resyncing a few times.

OK, so I managed to get down Ubuntu Linux but it was a struggle, I then unplugged the modem (for the first time) and have subsequently lost connection with Sky. I am posting from a different ISP now. I switched back to the Eircom Netopia Modem and it synced no bother but having activated the Sky system I think I automatically de-activated the Eircom broadband because whilst the DSL light sync'd the Internet light went Red and I have no more service from Eircom it seems and well Sky's service is now down!

Maybe it might come back up during the night, very bad initial first impression of Sky anyway.

This idea of giving the line ten days to get up to speed sounds like pure horse manure to me, either they can give speed and a service or they can't with Eircom and Vodafone they deliver a service and you know what you are getting and they don't take ten days to guesstimate what your speed is. A friend of mine has a 24mb connection from Vodafone and it works massively and there was none of this stuff when he changed over from Eircom and I should know as I set it up for him, it worked straight out of the box and he is on the same rural exchange as me except he is only a few hundred metres from the exchange wheras I am 2kms. The exchange is one of the newer ADSL2 ones and only got enabled for DSL in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Got my hub out yesterday but broadband wasn't supposed to be switched over until the 30th, plugged it in and ran a speedtest and the ISP was showing that it was Esat, checked it again a while later and it was back to Eircom so seems like the 2 of them are trying to use the line, my internet connection has been terrible for the last few days so hopefully it's working fine once it switches over properly.

Mine came back up after about 45mins downtime and is much more stable now and even hit 8mb for stretches whilst I was downloading the knoppix distro.

For those interested in testing their lines, the speedtest.net and eircom speed checker are good but for me the best lithmus test is downloading from the likes of heanet or a good dedicated server, Linux distros make ideal downloads to test the bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distros#Popular_distributions

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone got a link to files on heanet?
    google is showing lots of different results but cant find files to test dload speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

OK, so I managed to get down Ubuntu Linux but it was a struggle, I then unplugged the modem (for the first time) and have subsequently lost connection with Sky. I am posting from a different ISP now. I switched back to the Eircom Netopia Modem and it synced no bother but having activated the Sky system I think I automatically de-activated the Eircom broadband because whilst the DSL light sync'd the Internet light went Red and I have no more service from Eircom it seems and well Sky's service is now down!

Maybe it might come back up during the night, very bad initial first impression of Sky anyway.

This idea of giving the line ten days to get up to speed sounds like pure horse manure to me, either they can give speed and a service or they can't with Eircom and Vodafone they deliver a service and you know what you are getting and they don't take ten days to guesstimate what your speed is. A friend of mine has a 24mb connection from Vodafone and it works massively and there was none of this stuff when he changed over from Eircom and I should know as I set it up for him, it worked straight out of the box and he is on the same rural exchange as me except he is only a few hundred metres from the exchange wheras I am 2kms. The exchange is one of the newer ADSL2 ones and only got enabled for DSL in 2010.

Remember, this is not a fully launched product yet. Sky are getting the service ready for the proper launch in April and that's why you're getting such a low price for the year.

Dcully wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to files on heanet?
    google is showing lots of different results but cant find files to test dload speed.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

I downloaded Fedora linux from it this morning and Sky was perfectly stable at the full 7 megs. Used Internet Download Manager which is much steadier than downloading through Firefox.

The early kinks seems to have resolved themselves now, way to go Uncle Rupert! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Can anyone explain why we could hardly get speeds of 1mb/s here with Eircom and now we're getting 4 mb/s with Sky, even though its the same lines coming from same rural exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

aramush wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why we could hardly get speeds of 1mb/s here with Eircom and now we're getting 4 mb/s with Sky, even though its the same lines coming from same rural exchange?

Two possibilities:

1. Eircom are cheapskates.
    2. Sky have less customers, so, therefore, the contention ratio is lower, which subsequently means more bandwidth is available for everyone else on the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

I only registered for sky broadband this week, on their website, am I to late for this wonderful offer, when will they contact me about the connection go ahead,????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Two possibilities:

1. Eircom are cheapskates.
    2. Sky have less customers, so, therefore, the contention ratio is lower, which subsequently means more bandwidth is available for everyone else on the exchange.

Thanks for reply. Does the word interleaving mean anything? It's coming up on the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

exercise wrote: »
    I only registered for sky broadband this week, on their website, am I to late for this wonderful offer, when will they contact me about the connection go ahead,????
    Last time I talked to a Sky rep she said they would be making this available to the public around March/April. It will obviously cost more than what they have been charging before now but I would think it will be low enough to tempt people away from their current providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

In the 10 euro deal can I make calls to a number outside Dublin free or am I charged extra for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Carpenter wrote: »
    In the 10 euro deal can I make calls to a number outside Dublin free or am I charged extra for them :D

€10 gives free local and national landline calls for evenings and weekend. Evenings are from 7pm onwards, ending a 7am. So basically you've no free landline calls from 7am to 7pm Mon to Fri.

aramush wrote: »

Telcos in Ireland have managed to get it into the Irish customer psyche that more speed means more price. The line handles the higher speeds but they won't give it away for nothing. Hence how service providers make tidy profits in the Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Carpenter wrote: »
    BrianHal wrote: »
    €10 gives free local and national landline calls for evenings and weekend. Evenings are from 7pm onwards, ending a 7am. So basically you've no free landline calls from 7am to 7pm Mon to Fri.

Think you have that wrong €7.50 gives you anytime calls!!
    Sky Talk Anytime which offers unlimited1 calls to Irish landlines and unlimited calls to 20 popular international destinations including calls to USA, New Zealand and Australia. So your new package really does offer you all you need to keep you connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Think you have that wrong €7.50 gives you anytime calls!!
    The €10 is for the broadband and the off peak calls are fee

Its €7.50 extra for Anytime calls which isn't the question that was asked though ;)

Out of curiosity I plugged in my Sky Hub to see if it would work. It took a few mins to register an internet signal but its working. Speedtest.net is telling me I've 6.8mbps as opposed to VF giving 6.4 consistently. Lets see how my 10 days go and how much I'll get of the 15mbps that I was told about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My hub keeps on disconnecting.

Is anyone else having this problem ??

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Don't forget you must leave your SKY hub switched on during the first 10 days so that SKY can see what your line is capable of handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

My hub keeps on disconnecting.

Is anyone else having this problem ??

How long has your SKY hub been connected ?
    Have you tried resetting it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Username / Password

For those looking for the username / password to use 3rd party router, try saving the config from the maintenance menu > back up settings.
    This generates a conf file.
    If you open it, you can see username and password in clear.
    However, I no longer have my old modem to test ... but worth a shot ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

BrianHal wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I plugged in my Sky Hub to see if it would work. It took a few mins to register an internet signal but its working. Speedtest.net is telling me I've 6.8mbps as opposed to VF giving 6.4 consistently. Lets see how my 10 days go and how much I'll get of the 15mbps that I was told about.

When you do your speedtest is your ISP coming up as Esat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Funnily enough my speeds seem to be getting worse. I was told my line can support 12mb. When I got the sky hub I was hitting 9.8mb. Thought over the 10 days that would go up to 12 but its doing the opposite. For the last 2 days I have barely been able to break 9mb.

My downstream connection speed has gone from 11374 to 10574 in the 3 days that I have sky broadband. Really not happy with that.

• Advertisement

Tayla wrote: »
    When you do your speedtest is your ISP coming up as Esat?

Esat Telecommunications Limited :)

I just noticed that the downstream connection speed is 8128 and upstream is 512 which is the setting that I had with vodafone. Sky said I should get up to 15meg... does my profile need to be changed to a higher limit or is it a case of wait and see?

Advertisement