Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Do they offer unlimited downloads on non-NGB exchanges? Hopefully we won't have the same issues here that they did in parts of the UK..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/sky_broadband_adding_customers_first_capacity_after/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Busted21 wrote: »
    Hi Guys just wondering when you sign up for the Broadband and talk services or are you guys trialing it for Sky?

im anxious to move from Vodafone to Sky but according to the website there still only registering for interest

looking forward to your feedback

Thanks

Noel

The trail period has finished, you won't be able to avail of sky broadband and talk until April/May of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Ordered on 16th, and apart from two mails from sky, absolutely no other progress. MySky tracking still shows that "We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days, bang your head against the keyboard until you knock yourself out so that the waiting would be less painful..."

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

lockup35 wrote: »
    Do they offer unlimited downloads on non-NGB exchanges? Hopefully we won't have the same issues here that they did in parts of the UK..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/sky_broadband_adding_customers_first_capacity_after/

But of course this is Ireland... something like that would never happen here. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

positron wrote: »
    Ordered on 16th, and apart from two mails from sky, absolutely no other progress. MySky tracking still shows that "We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days, bang your head against the keyboard until you knock yourself out so that the waiting would be less painful..."

That message is still on my account and my broadband is up and running. I ordered the 15th and got my hub today. A bit of patience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

That message is still on my account and my broadband is up and running. I ordered the 15th and got my hub today. A bit of patience!

now now... its easy to ask for patience when your own BB is up and running ;)

BrianHal wrote: »
    now now... its easy to ask for patience when your own BB is up and running ;)

I know :D I was almost on the phone to them myself this week even though it's exactly the same broadband I have already (just cheaper)!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mmm I may give Sky a ring next week and see if they can try and up my speed but I`m not sure if it will have any effect?
    They told me my line could handle 5Mb download when I signed up even though I was getting 6.1 with Vodafone.

After I switched to Sky it started off at around 5 but was up to 6.1 within a couple of hours and has stayed there fairly consistently since.

I`m tempted to call and see if they can ramp it up more without any adverse effect.

Heres my reading from last night:

2460266433.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Your sn margin on your download needs to stay above 6 or it would become too unstable and your connection would drop, 6 looks like their threshold

BArra wrote: »
    Your sn margin on your download needs to stay above 6 or it would become too unstable and your connection would drop, 6 looks like their threshold

Thanks. Where will I find the reading on that? On the router?

• Advertisement

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Did this today and can now connect with my old Belkin Router. Took about 5 minutes. Got the username and password.

I must say though the sky hub isn't half bad.

adox wrote: »
    Thanks. Where will I find the reading on that? On the router?

On the summary page
    > further diagnostic help (log in)
    > show statistics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Did this today and can now connect with my old Belkin Router. Took about 5 minutes. Got the username and password.

I must say though the sky hub isn't half bad.

Good to hear it works over here. I'm going to give the sky hub a few weeks trial before I either sell my old router, or do the above to find out my sky username and password. So far though, the sky hub seems to be working flawlessly.

Thanks for posting it. I'm still using the sky hub but it's handy to have the details anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Good to hear it works over here. I'm going to give the sky hub a few weeks trial before I either sell my old router, or do the above to find out my sky username and password. So far though, the sky hub seems to be working flawlessly.

Yeah the hub is so simple to set up. But it really does need to be hacked. Im a little pissed off you cant change the DNS settings. I know this isnt a problem the large majority will have but the fact I cant use a different router makes me really pissed off.

Im finding the wireless signal is nowhere near as good as my Netgear DGN2000. I would usually get 10% loss of speed at the back of the house and in the garden. Now with the Sky Hub im getting a good 70% loss of speed in the same places. I just dont get why sky have the system locked down so you cant use any other router with the service. It makes no sense.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yeah the hub is so simple to set up. But it really does need to be hacked. Im a little pissed off you cant change the DNS settings. I know this isnt a problem the large majority will have but the fact I cant use a different router makes me really pissed off.

Im finding the wireless signal is nowhere near as good as my Netgear DGN2000. I would usually get 10% loss of speed at the back of the house and in the garden. Now with the Sky Hub im getting a good 70% loss of speed in the same places. I just dont get why sky have the system locked down so you cant use any other router with the service. It makes no sense.

Can't you just get your login and password using the link provided here and then forget about your sky hub and use the Netgear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭Trampas

naughto wrote: »
    it usually goes live the nexxt day after u get the hub,i tried mine late that night half 12-1 and it was up and running.
    i aslo had vodafone broadband live on the same line as it hadent being changed over.i loged in to my vodafone account yesterday and its all being switched over now.

Plugged in my sky hub. entered in password and all going well.

what is the pin for?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

How long are people waiting from receiving the hub to being online with it? I received mine today (ordered the 16th) and was told I'll be online with it by the 31st, but presume it'll be before that

Just plug it in and check. Mine was online straight away. Said 31st on letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just plug it in and check. Mine was online straight away. Said 31st on letter.
    Seriously? I got the standard advisory email this morning and the hub arrived this afternoon and the notes on both said Id be up and running on 31st January but not to set it up before that.

• Advertisement

Ya me too but it's working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

My router arrived yesterday. Had originally got email to say it would activate on 30th Jan but today got email to say it would activate today. Come home set it up not working! Ring them this afternoon - they run tests and say problem on line. I say howcan there be a problem my vodafone was working fine yesterday so not a fault on the line. Anyway they have escalated it up whatever that means. What I know it means is that I will have no broadband all weekend as they don't work weekends. Will update when I get it going!

On the summary page
    > further diagnostic help (log in)
    > show statistics

Thanks for that. Yeah it's showing 6.4 so probably on the limit and as fast as I'm going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

My router arrived yesterday. Had originally got email to say it would activate on 30th Jan but today got email to say it would activate today. Come home set it up not working! Ring them this afternoon - they run tests and say problem on line. I say howcan there be a problem my vodafone was working fine yesterday so not a fault on the line. Anyway they have escalated it up whatever that means. What I know it means is that I will have no broadband all weekend as they don't work weekends. Will update when I get it going!

They don't know why mine isn't activated, just a delay on it, can't tell me when it will be activated and can't escalate it as the lines not activated?!? Bizzare?!?

Can't you just get your login and password using the link provided here and then forget about your sky hub and use the Netgear?

Tried it but it didnt work. Have my username but the password didnt seem to work at all. Youre talking about the wireshark method yeah?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Tried it but it didnt work. Have my username but the password didnt seem to work at all. Youre talking about the wireshark method yeah?

Ya. Did you follow the instructions in the PDF? Make sure the router is disconnected from the phoneline and plugged out and set a static IP address for your ethernet card. You need to connect to the router with a cable and turn it on then start the wireshark process. It should work then. If it worked for me you'd think it would work for you? All the other settings I left the same as eircom but it connected to Sky (or Esat as the ip address look up still shows). Connect as a PPPoe wan connection.

One thing that might be a bit confusing is that when you get the username and password it's like this: macaddress@skydsl | password

That line between skydsl and password can look like a small "L". The password should be 8 characters long I think.

Ya. Did you follow the instructions in the PDF? Make sure the router is disconnected from the phoneline and plugged out and set a static IP address for your ethernet card. You need to connect to the router with a cable and turn it on then start the wireshark process. It should work then. If it worked for me you'd think it would work for you? All the other settings I left the same as eircom but it connected to Sky (or Esat as the ip address look up still shows). Connect as a PPPoe wan connection.

One thing that might be a bit confusing is that when you get the username and password it's like this: macaddress@skydsl | password

That line between skydsl and password can look like a small "L". The password should be 8 characters long I think.

Ethernet cable yeah?

Is your password all numbers? Mine seems to be.

Ya Ethernet. My password is 5 numbers and 3 letters. Might be worth trying it all again just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

The modem was there when I arrived in tonight, wasn't going to bother plugging it in till the 30th like the letter says but I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Speedtest.net is giving me speeds of .25megs and 6megs so it fluctuates something unnatural at times. Currently on eircom, which I find far better than Vodafone(more reliable connection) but hoping this will be even better, for €43 less per month though we'll put up with a lag or two with Sky if it comes down to it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

• Ordered on the 15th of Jan
    • Got my Sky Hub Modem yesterday on the 24th with the letter stating the service was going live on the 30th
    • Got an email today saying it was gone live, so set it up

I was on Eircom's 3mb package with a pathetic 30GB download allowance and this was the reason I changed as 300Gb would be more appropriate not 30GB. Eircom worked exceptionally well except for the small download allowance and of course the price.

I am so far extremely unhappy with Sky and I am supposed to be getting 7mb as I am on a rural exchange (€27.50/month package)

My speed has dropped from 3.6mb with Eircom to 1.6mb with Sky and it is totally inconsistent with figures ranging as low as 0.9mbs and I have been downloading Ubuntu as a test and it has averaged 1.6mb and weirdly keeps timing out on Internet Download Manager also.

I will be in contact with Sky tomorrow about this and unless there is drastic changes to the service quality I will be returning to Eircom within the 14 days. I don't mind paying money for something that works well and Sky's broadband at the moment for me is utter garbage and I'd have better speeds and consistency on a flippin Three stick!

Advertisement