Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭limo_100

pakalasa wrote: »
    Any feedback from farmers, good or bad?

i havea calf from his comrade OZS and id recommend him even for heifers as hes easy calving and has good quality calves..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

limo_100 wrote: »
    did they ever get the hereford bull FHW to produce yet?

no. not a straw nor will there ever be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Any feedback from farmers, good or bad?

very easy calved. heard nothing about quality yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I used him (AZL) on one cow last year hoping he'd improve on FHZ and add more muscle. He didn't, disappointed with him. Calf is very growthy though.
    I thought I'd update on this. This AZL calf turned out to be a great weanling in the end. Very happy with him. I think he was about 360Kgs or so at 7 months. Price 850 euro. Cow was very plain but milky. He had a lot of height for a BB. The kind of BB, an Irish farmer would go for , if he wasn't good enough for the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

just wondering about this, my ai man gave a cow elite erasmus (ere) there yesterday, has a massive eurostar value on the catalogue which still has old values..looked him up last night and he now has a ****e rating for both terminal and maternal :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

The reason for his new low €urostar figures appears to be his calving difficulty at 22%.

Calving diff provides a big percentage of the overall figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

just wondering about this, my ai man gave a cow elite erasmus (ere) there yesterday, has a massive eurostar value on the catalogue which still has old values..looked him up last night and he now has a ****e rating for both terminal and maternal :confused:

And hard calved too;)

some pics of a few of his calves on dovea site, they look good in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I have four ERE weanlings - three bulls and one heifer.

They are out of belgian blues sucklers and one from a milker.

The ones out of the blues are super animals, double muscle, huge behinds, one had to be delivered by a c section from a BB cow, the rest calved naturally, one came backwards but was fine.

Lovely animals, the calving is the thing to be wary of.

Min wrote: »
    I have four ERE weanlings - three bulls and one heifer.

They are out of belgian blues sucklers and one from a milker.

The ones out of the blues are super animals, double muscle, huge behinds, one had to be delivered by a c section from a BB cow, the rest calved naturally, one came backwards but was fine.

Lovely animals, the calving is the thing to be wary of.

hmm they sound real nice min, any chance of a pic, this cow i did is a big char, next calf will be her 3rd so she should be grand if she keeps

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    I have four ERE weanlings - three bulls and one heifer..
    You're a brave man to try ERE on BB cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

hmm they sound real nice min, any chance of a pic, this cow i did is a big char, next calf will be her 3rd so she should be grand if she keeps

Some of our cows have a big lump of a calf no matter what they're incalf to. Them big CH cows are well able for anything!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Some of our cows have a big lump of a calf no matter what they're incalf to. Them big CH cows are well able for anything!
    well my stock bull has turned out to be exceptionally easy calving, he is ch and most of the cows are ch x, you would be nearly disappointed with some of the calves out of massive cows but the other side is im at work full time and i dont want any hassle so maybe its not a bad thing..i ai'd two heifer there recently to a simm bull from dovea..i dont like simms but ai man convinced me he was the easiest bull he had..fupping bollix, i read here after that he is hard calving, ROE is the bull.. I wouldnt mind but i asked him every type of breed. i should have let my own bull at them. its not great i think when dovea dont seem to have any real easy calving limo, or at least my ai man doesnt seem to have anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

have 4 calves by ere 3 bulls and 1 heifer also. no trouble calving at all and calves are serious!!! i'll try get photos up later in the week. have one that is pedigree so his figures are sh1te but he was always a class calf

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

well my stock bull has turned out to be exceptionally easy calving, he is ch and most of the cows are ch x, you would be nearly disappointed with some of the calves out of massive cows but the other side is im at work full time and i dont want any hassle so maybe its not a bad thing..i ai'd two heifer there recently to a simm bull from dovea..i dont like simms but ai man convinced me he was the easiest bull he had..fupping bollix, i read here after that he is hard calving, ROE is the bull.. I wouldnt mind but i asked him every type of breed. i should have let my own bull at them. its not great i think when dovea dont seem to have any real easy calving limo, or at least my ai man doesnt seem to have anyway :rolleyes:

RHF is an easy calving limo from Dovea I used his this year and never touched any of the heifers while they were calving. My AI man also used ROE on heifers and he reckons he is very easy calving so there must be some truth init!

RHF is an easy calving limo from Dovea I used his this year and never touched any of the heifers while they were calving. My AI man also used ROE on heifers and he reckons he is very easy calving so there must be some truth init!
    said he didnt have him! thanks though good to hear ROE is ok, i was going on this old post i read
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77679520

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jdevitt

Bizzum wrote: »
    I suppose it's fair to say that a lot of show calves have BB in them.
    So maybe chance a BB on some of your cows. OVO and BYU bred some great stock, but I'm not sure are they still available?
    But I know someone on here will know;)
    anyone used the blonde bull kce looks smashing in the photo or the bull kyr have a very muscly bb cow incalf to kce. Have a few cows incalf to kyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭farmerjack

jdevitt wrote: »
    anyone used the blonde bull kce looks smashing in the photo or the bull kyr have a very muscly bb cow incalf to kce. Have a few cows incalf to kyr.

Watch that bb cow closely when her time is up Kce is hard calved, I have a few calves off of Kce out of roomy enough simmental cows and it wasn't that simple calving them. They are about 3-4 months old now and they are super stock and will definitely use him on my bigger and easier calved cows again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

jdevitt wrote: »
    watch yourself with kyr had a few and hard enough works well on a good cow but he needs a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Andy Gray

ERE is rediculously hard calving. It's a pity because they have muscle and power and are very quiet. Dovea left the bull go widespread last year which meant he was readily available in technicians tanks. He had an easy calving figure, but with a very low reliability which meant at the time no calves had been born from him. As it turned out ERE is now considered not a cow wrecker, but a cow killer!!! AI men paid no attention to the reliability figure and put that bull into heifers up and down the country and he has left a sorry trail of destruction. If you've cows or god forbid, heifers in calf to ERE, don't expect them to calve on their own.

• Advertisement

Andy Gray wrote: »
    ERE is rediculously hard calving. It's a pity because they have muscle and power and are very quiet. Dovea left the bull go widespread last year which meant he was readily available in technicians tanks. He had an easy calving figure, but with a very low reliability which meant at the time no calves had been born from him. As it turned out ERE is now considered not a cow wrecker, but a cow killer!!! AI men paid no attention to the reliability figure and put that bull into heifers up and down the country and he has left a sorry trail of destruction. If you've cows or god forbid, heifers in calf to ERE, don't expect them to calve on their own.

my ai man reckons he is the best bull in dovea, says he is not for heifers but not all that hard calving, he must have heard back plenty of reports as he covers a big area

1,304 calvings now in ICBF (Dec 2012). 17% needed a pull or more.
    Plain crazy.

my ai man reckons he is the best bull in dovea, says he is not for heifers but not all that hard calving, he must have heard back plenty of reports as he covers a big area

No offence now but AI men or AI companies will rarely tell a bad story about their own bulls. ERE would be a great bull if you could get the calf outta the cow. I got some of the first straws off this bull two years ago. Put three cows in calf to him. Had trouble with all of them and lost a cow and calf. The cow was a big Simmental cow 800-850 Kgs on her fifth calf and was out-wintered on kale and straw so she was fit and lean when she calved. If a mature cow that size can't get a calf out then the bull is too hard calving. Dovea's new beef catalogue is just out and ERE is not included which speaks for itself. If you want a good Limo in Dovea use Dartagnan (MBP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Andy Gray wrote: »
    No offence now but AI men or AI companies will rarely tell a bad story about their own bulls. ERE would be a great bull if you could get the calf outta the cow. I got some of the first straws off this bull two years ago. Put three cows in calf to him. Had trouble with all of them and lost a cow and calf. The cow was a big Simmental cow 800-850 Kgs on her fifth calf and was out-wintered on kale and straw so she was fit and lean when she calved. If a mature cow that size can't get a calf out then the bull is too hard calving. Dovea's new beef catalogue is just out and ERE is not included which speaks for itself. If you want a good Limo in Dovea use Dartagnan (MBP).
    Im no expert on breeding by any means and we have mostly small ould black cows but MBP gave us the best calves I ever saw them having last year . Any use UBN ?

Never heard much about UBN. Rough looking bull in the catalogue. Wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. If MBP is doing such a good job why change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We will be sticking with MBP alright but a blue cow had a UBN calf in november and he is very muscely and wide , nothing like what we would usually have but just wondering is it from the cow or did anyone else have calves out of him that were good .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Was going to use ZFL on some 2y.o AA heifers but he looks a bit of a lump and I don't know if I can trust his calving figures anyone used him or MLJ

mikeoh wrote: »
    Was going to use ZFL on some 2y.o AA heifers but he looks a bit of a lump and I don't know if I can trust his calving figures anyone used him or MLJ

Don't use Angus so can't comment. Generally 90% of Angus bulls are suitable for heifers. The breeders have started to breed a little bit more power and muscle into their cattle in the past few years and the calving difficulty on some bulls is starting to creep above the breed average. Best advice is only use a bull that is less than 5% on calving difficulty with > 90% reliability figure on heifers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mikeoh wrote: »

I wouldn't mind him 'being a bit of a lump' his reliability figures are low though. Has anybody got calves from him yet? I need a good angus bull to use on a few aubrac x aa heifers.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

blue5000 wrote: »

I wouldn't mind him 'being a bit of a lump' his reliability figures are low though. Has anybody got calves from him yet? I need a good angus bull to use on a few aubrac x aa heifers.
    MLJ is well proven but I think lacks a bit of size...

Advertisement