Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simmental Bulls

Options
  • 31-01-2012 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

looking for some simmental bulls to use this year have a couple in mind like anatrium bodybuilder in dovea heard he is the best around these days.

does anyone know of any more i used ico( starline decision ) this year anyone have calves from him...??

dont like the hillcreast bulls as i heard there wild!??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭limo_100

looking for some simmental bulls to use this year have a couple in mind like anatrium bodybuilder in dovea heard he is the best around these days.

does anyone know of any more i used ico( starline decision ) this year anyone have calves from him...??

we've used hillcreast king and there very quite heifers of him. and also the quality of his shock are very good with lots of milk.

IS4 is a very good bull and APZ is shaping up into a nice bull

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

what are you going using them on and what are you aiming too breed? Do you sell as weanlings or keep tru to beef? Hkg is the finest not wild at all, wouldnt be awful gone on ICO myself. IS4 breeding great commercial stock but is scarce now. Kilbride farm newry (KFY) from eurogene breeding good cattle both ped. and com. he ll add size and milk. Apostle is a fine bull from pro. gen. he wouldnt be the biggest bull in the world but but plenty off thickness and length too him. Havnt seen anything out off bodybuilder but hes a fine looking animal in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

ive a chap of kilbride farm newry. class animal. easy calvin, quiet, good all rounder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I've used both HKG and IS4. Both breed quiet cattle, more so IS4. I think HKG breeds more beefier types than IS4. Use both to hedge your bets.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

i have a belgian blue cow at home that breeds very good weanlings every year probably the best cow we ever had however never had a heifer from her yet so she is about 7 years old now and gonna try breed simmental heifers off her if i can for replacements. looking for milk, height and power!

well i like that anatrium bodybuilder myself.... would like feed back on calves and also starline decision if any one has had him.

i would use hillcreast if his calves are not to wild hows he for calving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerry man

Bova have 2 simmental bulls. Milton Lord tiffany is a great bull but its very hard to get straws anymore. Delfur T bone is another fantastic bull, he has good milk and fertility. I have a bull calf off him now was hoping for a heifer though, very impressed with him will surely be using him again.

One thing to watch with Hillcrest King is his Maternal calving figures. His heifers are not that great at the hips. If you're crossing on a BB cow, then maybe a different bull like IS4 might be a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

We have used IS4 just the once and got a heifer, shes easliy the best calf from the crop, lovely bit of length and great width... cannot seem to get him anymore though.
    We were intent on using Hilscrest on another cow but was warned he brings wild stock..
    A few cows in calf to APZ now so we'll see how he peforms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We have bred some powerful stock off Kilbride Farm Newry (KFY).
    I would rate him very highly.

Bizzum wrote: »
    That's a bull I'd love to try myself. He's got some figures too, 5* for nearly everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fred20

hi did u ever try a bull called banwy t rex seen him in tullamore last year an this a hell of a bull big powerful an very quite a neighbour of ours bought a son of him last year with every star ya want an he's super easy calved an the bull an his calves r very very quite for me he by far the best around has it all his daughters r winnin all around them

Banwy T-Rex, he was bought by the owners of the Clonagh Herd (I never like mentioning people's names). He's some bull alright.
    http://www.clonaghsimmentals.com/html/banwy_t-rex.html

Straws are expensive at €40 plus carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

ive used hillcrestking on limousin cows for the last few years.heifers can be lively enough but will settle down after calving.they make fine big square cows with lots of milk
    i tried a few hillcrest naughty 3 years ago.heifers are not a patch on king heifers.they stayed small enough and bred average calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fred20

pakalasa may be dear alright but there's more than 30 euro between good calves than average an poor thats what sbv tell us wel worth it i say maybe been x bred ya might get a batch cheaper tis only a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I put ROE from Dovea, on three limousine heifers last year. According to the book, easiest calving simmental available, and very good on milk side.
    He is not the fanciest looking bull in the book, but ease of calving was main priority, for first calvers, and obviously hoping to get a couple of heifer calves for replacements at the same time.

Two have calved, and I have two heifer calves:) BUT, not the easiest calvings by any means:o Big pull on both, and calves are huge:o.
    Up and sucking very quickly though, and seem to be thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

ive used hillcrestking on limousin cows for the last few years.heifers can be lively enough but will settle down after calving.they make fine big square cows with lots of milk
    i tried a few hillcrest naughty 3 years ago.heifers are not a patch on king heifers.they stayed small enough and bred average calves

allways thought naughty was a waste of time ...... anything out of apz yet, seen some very nice calves of t-bone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

used a few straws off of TBE this year.
    have a couple of calves on the ground off of DRU and they are smashing.

I am selecting for replacements though.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

Had a ICO calf last night... monster really happy with him. if only he was a heifer :(

Had a ICO calf last night... monster really happy with him. if only he was a heifer :(

I know the feeling!

Pic 018: A good Limx cow with her few day old BULL calf by T-Bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭limo_100

I know the feeling!

Pic 018: A good Limx cow with her few day old BULL calf by T-Bone.

great lookin set, your cow has a awful lot of milk is she bread of a frasian cow?

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »
    great lookin set, your cow has a awful lot of milk is she bread of a frasian cow?

I dunno how she's bred. She's bought in. A tank of a cow though. I can't see Fr being in her to much of an extent though. I've often thought there was BB in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LiosDuin

well,just wondering have you any cows by him?seems like the best to use,only 12euro a straw aswell,saw a couple of 15 month old heifers by him yesterday,shovin 550kgs id say,serious cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Any update on simmental sires,what bulls have worked for you,or what have ye seen nice calves from.
    Just looking to order some straws but not sure wat to go for,Im looking for frame and milk.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 farmboy1130

I used all ai on my cows last year, used limousin, simmental, shorthorn, and angus bulls. two of the best calves this year are off the dovea bull moness roscoe, i uses roscoe on a few big black and saler cows, the calves were very easy calved, great growers, very docile, nice shape, great legs and feet.
    dovea look to have other good looking simmental bulls as well which i haven't used much of, but i will try some of them next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Thinking of using CQA on a few of the cows myself, anybody any experience of him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

tim04750 wrote: »
    Thinking of using CQA on a few of the cows myself, anybody any experience of him ?

Ya was looking at him,seems to have great shape,t-bone is also a nice looking bull,i haven't seen much progeny from sim bulls,mainly into charolais myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

have two DRU's hiefer calves and one SEV bull from Dovea. Very happy with all of them.
    Used a couple of straws of T-bone this year. Would of used DRU again but supplier did not have the straws and for the tiny bit of AI that I try its not worth the hassle of ordering straws.

IS4, Seepa Tee Jay breeds lovely heifers. Not big boned like a lot of simmentals and exceptionally quiet too. As far as I know he is gone with the IBR ourbreak. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I've two heifers from Hillcrest King off a Lim cow - year and half old and 6 months old. Cow is far from quiet, but the heifers are great.
    Cow is back in calf to Hillcrest King again. I'm hoping for a hat-trick. Going to put the older heifer in calf to another Sim bull whose name I've forgotten (could be APZ), but AI man reckons I should get a good calf. I usually have AA cattle so this is a completely different road for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Hi lads, I'm a bit late coming to this thread, but I like the Simmentals so I said I'd add my tuppence worth.. I've a few SEV (from Dovea) calves this year. They're very plain calves, I'm very diappointed with them. My own bull is a GFY (glebefarm Tyson) son, I only purchased him late last year, but I've 15 calves on the ground from him and they're very nice cattle, quitet and easy calved. The heifirs shuld make good cows..

Advertisement