Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

poor performance.....i dont think fittness was problem...UL were pretty decent,but should not beat us with players we had on field...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Was at the game today. I thought from 1 - 9 Waterford did quite well and might be happy enough with their performances. I didn't note the scorers so excuse me if wrong but Shane o Sullivan must have scored 7 from midfield. He got a few great scores from play and did well when he took over the long range free duties after a couple of misses from Richie Foley and Jake. Richie himself did very well first half. Faded a little in second half. The students got one goal chance and took it, a mistake from Sok. Waterford had at least four clear cut goal chances through the game but couldn't take them unfortunately. Up front The half forward line was disappointing with Seamus being much more effective when moved into full forward in the second half, winning about four frees. Both dean Twomey and ray Barry were quite ineffective. Twomey in particular seemed off the pace but he did appear to be holding his hip a fair bit. Shane Walsh went off at half time having not caused too many problems. Jamie Barron and jake Dillon didn't get much change from the corner backs.

I was disappointed by two very glaringly obvious tactical mistakes. Firstly not going man for man on the college puck outs allowed them time after time to gain possessions in their half back line and pick the easy pass. Completely unacceptable. Secondly when they changed to plan b second half and pumped ball in on top if Seamus the two corner forwards had come so far wide and out that there was no one to get second ball. Actually, Waterford basically were destroyed when it came to winning the secondary possession.

Those to stand out. Brick, paudi prendergast, Shane Sullivan and Richie foley (first half) Seamus when he was moved and was able to play to his aerial strengths.

Distinct lack of younger lads stepping up to the mark and standing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Did Brian O'Sullivan not start then in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

no jamie barron started in his place

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Was at the game aswell today i wonder at times what glick6 was watching? YES our midfield pairing were strong at times but their counterparts contributed 5pts from play also! YES Seamus Prendergast was more effective at full forward but was cleaned out in the 1st half at centre forward. I think you'll find through the stats aswell that 4pts came from assists from good work from Ray Barry in the 1st half with 3 passes to shane o sullivan and 1 to ritchie foley and his marker was actually substituted early in the 2nd half! Yes Dean Twomey was poor and was switched everywhere to get him into the game. I think the stats will tell you also that stephen daniels was taken for 4pts from play by our own eamonn murphy but in theory the damage was being done outside him,namely paudie prendergast's man making several runs at our defence and paudie was eventually substituted in the 2nd half having received a yellow card!! Thank god brick hasn't called time on his career or we would be in even more serious trouble than we're in at the moment. Couldn't believe our management team didn't react to UL bringing out a 3rd midfielder against the wind and this kept them in the game and when they went in level with us at halftime and we having played with the strong breeze,we were always going to be under pressure.
    The irony of this is that Ger Cunningham,one of UL selectors is coming into take over some of the hurling training with us from next week! Having spoken to one of the players i'm struggling to keep my REAL thoughts from on here so suffice to say that the mess is getting worse! A question for ye on here- Where is the money coming from that's paying Niall Carew to come from Kildare and his fellow selector? And the hurlers? Well they're left with the coppers by the sound of things!!

• Advertisement

Assistance from someone with the record Cunningham has would be greatly welcomed I'm sure, so long as he can commit to it.

And to be fair, would be very hypocritical if anyone in the hurling setup were to question money going to the football camp after the gulf in financial assistance that the two have had over the years. I don't doubt that the footballers will have to raise money for the cause as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

I don't doubt that the footballers will have to raise money for the cause as well.
    Read somewhere that table quiz being organised for Football Training fund in near future. Crottys Leamybrien maybe:confused:

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Read somewhere that table quiz being organised for Football Training fund in near future. Crottys Leamybrien maybe:confused:

One in Stradbally for the training fund actually now that you mention it. Saw it on twitter today, momentarily forgot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

thats ger cunningham from limerick, he is highly rated but i think moreso in the club scene but at least it is some improvement....
    we all know the co board are football men so that will explain the niall carew situation, saying that its his first managers job so maybe they are getting him cheap...
    talk of young lads not stepping up, if last year in ennis was an indicator, people can see what we're in for, scully might have been beter dropping a few of them off the panel for a while to give them a bit of a kick up the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

thats ger cunningham from limerick, he is highly rated but i think moreso in the club scene but at least it is some improvement....
    we all know the co board are football men so that will explain the niall carew situation, saying that its his first managers job so maybe they are getting him cheap...
    talk of young lads not stepping up, if last year in ennis was an indicator, people can see what we're in for, scully might have been beter dropping a few of them off the panel for a while to give them a bit of a kick up the hole

So what do we do then cast all the young fellas aside because of 1 bad performance last year? Never heard such tripe in my life. Il give him one thing at least he weeded out the deadwood that were on it for the past 4-5 yrs and had several chances over that period to prove themselves and most of them failed miserably. So why not try to freshen it up with new young blood and see can maybe 1 or 2 new names bring something to the table. So when we got the hammering in the All Ireland final by K/kenny should we have got rid of all those players aswell then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

zol 2 wrote: »
    Was at the game aswell today i wonder at times what glick6 was watching? YES our midfield pairing were strong at times but their counterparts contributed 5pts from play also! YES Seamus Prendergast was more effective at full forward but was cleaned out in the 1st half at centre forward. I think you'll find through the stats aswell that 4pts came from assists from good work from Ray Barry in the 1st half with 3 passes to shane o sullivan and 1 to ritchie foley and his marker was actually substituted early in the 2nd half! Yes Dean Twomey was poor and was switched everywhere to get him into the game. I think the stats will tell you also that stephen daniels was taken for 4pts from play by our own eamonn murphy but in theory the damage was being done outside him,namely paudie prendergast's man making several runs at our defence and paudie was eventually substituted in the 2nd half having received a yellow card!! Thank god brick hasn't called time on his career or we would be in even more serious trouble than we're in at the moment. Couldn't believe our management team didn't react to UL bringing out a 3rd midfielder against the wind and this kept them in the game and when they went in level with us at halftime and we having played with the strong breeze,we were always going to be under pressure.
    The irony of this is that Ger Cunningham,one of UL selectors is coming into take over some of the hurling training with us from next week! Having spoken to one of the players i'm struggling to keep my REAL thoughts from on here so suffice to say that the mess is getting worse! A question for ye on here- Where is the money coming from that's paying Niall Carew to come from Kildare and his fellow selector? And the hurlers? Well they're left with the coppers by the sounds of it

Some cheek to be questioning what money goes to footballers they train and work just as hard as hurlers they might not be as good at there chosen code but end of the day some of the footballers struggled for months to get expenses paid to them for travelling to training so it was coming out of there own pocket in these tough times with a lot of them being out of work yet they still get grief on this and around the place . What do ppl want that the hurlers get everything on a plate . Some of them want to pull there heads out of there holes and concentrate on hurling and push the egos to one side footballers are entitled to equal treatment sooner this rubs off on people the better

So what do we do then cast all the young fellas aside because of 1 bad performance last year? Never heard such tripe in my life. Il give him one thing at least he weeded out the deadwood that were on it for the past 4-5 yrs and had several chances over that period to prove themselves and most of them failed miserably. So why not try to freshen it up with new young blood and see can maybe 1 or 2 new names bring something to the table. So when we got the hammering in the All Ireland final by K/kenny should we have got rid of all those players aswell then?

it wasnt the performance it was the manner of the performance, it was a gutless performance and i cant believe that any fella would ever show as little heart or fight in a waterford jersey as i saw that night bar one or two of them.

what deadwood did he weed out exactly? paul o brien, shane casey, tommy ryan? these are lads who he started or brought on in the cship last year and suddenly they werent good enough for the panel? they are no better or no worse than what he has left there. dropped wayne hutchinson too for no apparant reason and he is the type of player that the panel needs. big, strong, experienced, a bit injury prone but that isnt hes fault.

djfern84 wrote: »
    The irony of this is that Ger Cunningham,one of UL selectors is coming into take over some of the hurling training with us from next week! Having spoken to one of the players i'm struggling to keep my REAL thoughts from on here so suffice to say that the mess is getting worse! A question for ye on here- Where is the money coming from that's paying Niall Carew to come from Kildare and his fellow selector? And the hurlers? Well they're left with the coppers by the sounds of it

Some cheek to be questioning what money goes to footballers they train and work just as hard as hurlers they might not be as good at there chosen code but end of the day some of the footballers struggled for months to get expenses paid to them for travelling to training so it was coming out of there own pocket in these tough times with a lot of them being out of work yet they still get grief on this and around the place . What do ppl want that the hurlers get everything on a plate . Some of them want to pull there heads out of there holes and concentrate on hurling and push the egos to one side footballers are entitled to equal treatment sooner this rubs off on people the better

well said...im looking forward to seeing gary "gooch" hurney on the steps of the hogan in september.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

The irony of this is that Ger Cunningham,one of UL selectors is coming into take over some of the hurling training with us from next week! Having spoken to one of the players i'm struggling to keep my REAL thoughts from on here so suffice to say that the mess is getting worse! A question for ye on here- Where is the money coming from that's paying Niall Carew to come from Kildare and his fellow selector? And the hurlers? Well they're left with the coppers by the sound of things!!

Has he not agreed to do this in Laois.

it wasnt the performance it was the manner of the performance, it was a gutless performance and i cant believe that any fella would ever show as little heart or fight in a waterford jersey as i saw that night bar one or two of them.

what deadwood did he weed out exactly? paul o brien, shane casey, tommy ryan? these are lads who he started or brought on in the cship last year and suddenly they werent good enough for the panel? they are no better or no worse than what he has left there. dropped wayne hutchinson too for no apparant reason and he is the type of player that the panel needs. big, strong, experienced, a bit injury prone but that isnt hes fault.

Do you think the fact that Wayne Hutchison has played only one championship game despite being on and off the Waterford panel since 2004 being a reasonable explanation as to why he's not on the panel this year?

From talking to people that attend County Board meetings, there is €120,000 to be put into football this year and over €200,000 into hurling. If more money is needed it has to be raised by the management/team members, hence the quiz for the footballers at a number of venues this Friday night.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Has he not agreed to do this in Laois.

I dunno how he'll find the time to divide his expertise between Laois, Waterford and UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 djfern84

well said...im looking forward to seeing gary "gooch" hurney on the steps of the hogan in september.

You won't see any of the hurlers there in September Either

Do you think the fact that Wayne Hutchison has played only one championship game despite being on and off the Waterford panel since 2004 being a reasonable explanation as to why he's not on the panel this year?

he wasnt on the panel every year since then and as i said, he has been very unfortunate with injuries, hes only 27 and in his prime, i think he'd be more use there than some lads on the panel

You won't see any of the hurlers there in September Either

dont i know!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Do we have many lads to come back from the colleges onto yesterdays team? There were no waterford lads on the UCC team over the weekend and the only one for UL, Eamon Murphy isnt even on the panel this year. (Mind you his haul of 4 points from play yesterday might indicate he should be)

Do we have many lads to come back from the colleges onto yesterdays team? There were no waterford lads on the UCC team over the weekend and the only one for UL, Eamon Murphy isnt even on the panel this year. (Mind you his haul of 4 points from play yesterday might indicate he should be)

Murphy could be brought onto the panel, they might wait and see does he make the UL Fitzgibbon team.

Quote from Michael Ryan:

"Maurice Shanahan and Padraic Mahony are both out for a while yet. I don’t expect Maurice back in action before March, though Padraic could be back in three or four weeks."

Darragh Fives is also a notable absentee from the weekend on both the UCC and Waterford panels.

Brian O'Sullivan didn't play yesterday because of injury, and Brian O'Halloran played for Mary I on Saturday so that's probably why he wasn't involved at all yesterday.

Most of the college players on the Waterford team are with WIT (naturally) and they don't play until next week, so they were free to play yesterday.

Murphy could be brought onto the panel, they might wait and see does he make the UL Fitzgibbon team.

Quote from Michael Ryan:

"Maurice Shanahan and Padraic Mahony are both out for a while yet. I don’t expect Maurice back in action before March, though Padraic could be back in three or four weeks."

Darragh Fives is also a notable absentee from the weekend on both the UCC and Waterford panels.

Brian O'Sullivan didn't play yesterday because of injury, and Brian O'Halloran played for Mary I on Saturday so that's probably why he wasn't involved at all yesterday.

Most of the college players on the Waterford team are with WIT (naturally) and they don't play until next week, so they were free to play yesterday.

hmm interesting so theres not that many really, 4 or 5.

hmm interesting so theres not that many really, 4 or 5.

I'd expect that 4 of them will start in the championship though if fit, maybe even the 5 of them.

But it does give an indication of the strength team named yesterday to say that there will probably be at least 10 of them starting in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Gift Grub did a Mullane tribute this morning :pac:

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2013/01/22/gift-grub-john-mullane-tribute/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

So now that were out of the crystal cup are there any challenge games or anything coming up?:)

IanVW wrote: »
    So now that were out of the crystal cup are there any challenge games or anything coming up?:)

Will we not be in some 'waterford crystal shield' competition for the first round losers in the crystal?

I dunno how he'll find the time to divide his expertise between Laois, Waterford and UL.

Found this.

http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/sport/gaelic-games/cunningham-joins-laois-hurling-setup-as-team-takes-shape-1-4656069

Deise Tom wrote: »

hes not going to be involved in the waterford set-up anyway. was just a rumour it seems

• Advertisement

he didnt deny it either though - he was interviewed after the UL v Waterford game in the Irish Examiner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement