Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

There's no point in us all spouting off at each other and blaming Michael Ryan he's a decent man great motivator to players but he has no mentor in the backroom team who has an out an out hurling brain. Put it this way if Ken was there this season John would 100% be still playing an thats a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

thats your opinion...i dont like the county board either, a bunch of clowns, tom cunningham, timmy o keeffe and the likes

is this you?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOSupNQC8oRG9jt32kF-Sq7Z5BuCwD_peQeDi3U6Pi5Tyr5t2aLPbvjUoY

There's no point in us all spouting off at each other and blaming Michael Ryan he's a decent man great motivator to players but he has no mentor in the backroom team who has an out an out hurling brain. Put it this way if Ken was there this season John would 100% be still playing an thats a fact.

Complete rubbish. Lets stop looking for excuses and just respect the mans decision

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I thought he would give it one more year.He drove us mad at times with his antics but John was a class player and unlike some of his team mates he could perform on the big day.When the whole Waterford team caved in the 08 all ireland final John Mullane took the fight to Kilkenny all on his own.The man was like an explosive stick of dynamite although our own Brian Murphy was capable of defusing it most of the time! :pac: They had great players on that Waterford team like Mullane,Paul Flynn, Dan Shanahan and Tony Browne but sadly they still couldn't win the all ireland.This news is the final confirmation that Waterford like ourselves will be rebuilding for the next few years.Ben O'Connor and Sean Og Retired last year.Were barely into the new year and now John Mullane has retired.Who would have thought last july in Thurles was Sean Ogs, Mullanes and possibly John Gardiner Brian Murphy and Niall McCarthys last hurrah!An era of glorious Cork and Waterford matches is over.I love me county said John Mullane once don't we all!
    Fair play to you well said. Its embarrassing reading some of the abusive comments here especially when they are coming from my own county. Everybody try to do their best for their county some will be better than others that's a fact of life. Who knows what the year ahead holds for any of us lets wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Hi All ,seems to be a lot of doom and gloom in relation to the latest announcements.

I would just like to remind everyone,that the last time we had an unproven new manager and a squad of unknowns was 1998 , it might not be the end of the period of the dominance but the very start of a new one.

Just a thought

• Advertisement

Hi All ,seems to be a lot of doom and gloom in relation to the latest announcements.

I would just like to remind everyone,that the last time we had an unproven new manager and a squad of unknowns was 1998 , it might not be the end of the period of the dominance but the very start of a new one.

Just a thought

lol unproven new manager Gerald McCarthy was one of the best in the business trained st finbarrs and cork to all irelands. plus we had dome of the brightest young talents coming through in 98 lads like flynn and mcgrath. appreciate what your trying to say alright but not really comparable to 98

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

lol unproven new manager Gerald McCarthy was one of the best in the business trained st finbarrs and cork to all irelands. plus we had dome of the brightest young talents coming through in 98 lads like flynn and mcgrath. appreciate what your trying to say alright but not really comparable to 98

Yeah there was also a batch of lads who won an U21 All Ireland in 1992 who were coming to maturity by 1998.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yeah there was also a batch of lads who won an U21 All Ireland in 1992 who were coming to maturity by 1998.

Ryan has had his successes,I meant unproven with Waterford. And I take your point regarding the lack of underage success at the mo.

I will say of Mullane,that he had a habit of pulling Waterford out of the fire on a good few occasions, and with him gone,there may be amore general responsiblity in the squad.

When Mullane was sent off in ,the team rallied,everyone stepped up,if it had a similar effect across the season, this could still be seen as a good thing (in dsaying that,given the choice,I wish he was still there)

Ryan has had his successes,I meant unproven with Waterford. And I take your point regarding the lack of underage success at the mo.

I will say of Mullane,that he had a habit of pulling Waterford out of the fire on a good few occasions, and with him gone,there may be amore general responsiblity in the squad.

When Mullane was sent off in ,the team rallied,everyone stepped up,if it had a similar effect across the season, this could still be seen as a good thing (in dsaying that,given the choice,I wish he was still there)

I commend your enthusiasm, but I personally think it is way off myself. We'll do very well to retain Division 1 status, are very unlikely to win a Munster and making an All Ireland quarter would be a very good achievement in 2013.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I commend your enthusiasm, but I personally think it is way off myself. We'll do very well to retain Division 1 status, are very unlikely to win a Munster and making an All Ireland quarter would be a very good achievement in 2013.

Munster is unlikely when we have to beat Clare and Cork to get there, but that doesnt meanthere should be a ceiling to ambition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Ger Loughnane's article on today's Daily Star about John Mullane has some paragraphs in it slating John in that Loughnane reckoned he never really delivered on the big occasions in Croke Park and when Waterford were beaten in games Mullane would tag on a few points at the end more for a personal thing than anything else. He reckoned its hard to judge how really good he was as he didnt deliver like shefflin,deane and eddie brennan did on the big occasions. He did say that in Munster he seemed to play his best games but that the sign of a great forward is when he goes for goals at every opportunity when the chips are down. There was also the dig about most Waterford teams failing to deliver in Croke Park!!
    ROLL ON THE FIRST ROUND OF THE MUNSTER CHAMPIONSHIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

zol 2 wrote: »
    Ger Loughnane's article on today's Daily Star about John Mullane has some paragraphs in it slating John in that Loughnane reckoned he never really delivered on the big occasions in Croke Park and when Waterford were beaten in games Mullane would tag on a few points at the end more for a personal thing than anything else. He reckoned its hard to judge how really good he was as he didnt deliver like shefflin,deane and eddie brennan did on the big occasions. He did say that in Munster he seemed to play his best games but that the sign of a great forward is when he goes for goals at every opportunity when the chips are down. There was also the dig about most Waterford teams failing to deliver in Croke Park!!

Link is here.

http://www.thestar.ie/star/john-mullane-good-player-not-a-great-player/

It seems as though people will look for reasons not to declare him a great. I wonder if Joe Deane, Eddie Brennan, Eoin Kelly, Henry Shefflin ever had the odd off day over the course of a 10+ year career...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

With all due respect to Ger Loughnane I don't think that argument stands up. Shefflin and Brennan played for arguably the greatest inter-county side ever to play the sport. They had the players around them to facilitate them stepping up to the plate in big games, whereas often it was just John plus one or two others in our case. Same applies to Joe Deane, a remarkable player but one who also had great players around him. You can talk all you will about the talent we had at our disposal but ultimately some players went missing on the big days and that made it very much harder to lads like Mullane to lift the team.

I do think that without Mullane going we are going to have a difficult season, however I wouldn't go writing the obituaries and saying that Waterford hurling is in a bad place. One only has to look at Colaisti DunGarbhain in the Harty Cup and the current Dungarvan, Ballygunnar and Lismore sides to see that there is great young talent coming through the ranks. The big thing is the transition from minor/under 21 to senior and that is where we are failing badly. The under 21 last year was a write off and the minors were equally as poor and this is not giving lads making the step up a huge amount of confidence in terms of developing a winning mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

doz wrote: »
    With all due respect to Ger Loughnane I don't think that argument stands up. Shefflin and Brennan played for arguably the greatest inter-county side ever to play the sport. They had the players around them to facilitate them stepping up to the plate in big game, whereas often it was just John plus one or two others in our case. Same applies to Joe Deane, a remarkable player but one who also had great players around him.

I do think that with Mullane going we are going to have a difficult season, however I wouldn't go writing the obituaries and saying that Waterford hurling is in a bad place. One only has to look at Colaisti DunGarbhain in the Harty Cup and the current Dungarvan, Ballygunnar and Lismore sides to see that there is great young talent coming through the ranks. The big thing is the transition from minor/under 21 to senior and that is where we are failing badly. The under 21 last year was a write off and the minors were equally as poor and this is not giving lads making the step up a huge amount of confidence in terms of developing a winning mentality.

huge talent in the county but having the wrong men in charge will be detrimental, they are at the age where they are in the middle of being a talented underage player and being a top intercounty senior player and men like michael ryan who hasnt a clue is not going to get the best from them and nature their talents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

of course id say it to his face why wouldnt i?? i have being going to waterford games for 25 years but i havnt went to a game since he got the waterford job, nor will i go as long as hes there and i know several others who are doing the same. hes a bluffer and he hasnt got a clue. he really is no good for waterford hurling and hes the wrong man to handle this transition period.

You should have gone for the job after Davy said he would not be standing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

thats your opinion...i dont like the county board either, a bunch of clowns, tom cunningham, timmy o keeffe and the likes

Easy Solution there. Stand against the existing officers at convention at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭IanVW

Waterford S.H. Team to play U.L in the opening game of 2013 at the WIT Sports Complex, Carriganore on Sunday at 2.00pm

1. Stephen O’Keeffe, Ballygunner
    2. Stephen Daniels, De La Salle
    3. Liam Lawlor, Fourmilewater
    4. Noel Connors, Passage
    5. Padraig Prendergast, Lismore
    6. Michael Walsh, Stradbally
    7. Kevin Moran, De La Salle
    8. Richie Foley, Abbeyside
    9. Shane O’Sullivan, Ballygunner
    10. Dean Twomey, De La Salle
    11. Seamus Prendergast, Ardmore
    12. Ray Barry, Lismore
    13. Jake Dillon, De La Salle
    14. Shane Walsh, Fourmilewater
    15. Brian O’Sullivan, Ballygunner.

Captaincy for 2013 has been handed to Kevin Moran (De La Salle) with Noel Connors Passage being named as vice captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

IanVW wrote: »
    Waterford S.H. Team to play U.L in the opening game of 2013 at the WIT Sports Complex, Carriganore on Sunday at 2.00pm

1. Stephen O’Keeffe, Ballygunner
    2. Stephen Daniels, De La Salle
    3. Liam Lawlor, Fourmilewater
    4. Noel Connors, Passage
    5. Padraig Prendergast, Lismore
    6. Michael Walsh, Stradbally
    7. Kevin Moran, De La Salle
    8. Richie Foley, Abbeyside
    9. Shane O’Sullivan, Ballygunner
    10. Dean Twomey, De La Salle
    11. Seamus Prendergast, Ardmore
    12. Ray Barry, Lismore
    13. Jake Dillon, De La Salle
    14. Shane Walsh, Fourmilewater
    15. Brian O’Sullivan, Ballygunner.

Captaincy for 2013 has been handed to Kevin Moran (De La Salle) with Noel Connors Passage being named as vice captain.

Moran was the obvious choice for this year and he absolutely deserves it.
    A strong team IMO and don't think it's a million miles off the XV that will be taking on Clare in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Munster is unlikely when we have to beat Clare and Cork to get there, but that doesnt meanthere should be a ceiling to ambition

Cork like Waterford are rebuilding too.There's a lot of experience and talent gone out of the Cork team over the winter.I wouldn't write Waterford off completely.If they beat Clare and set up a meeting with Cork it will be a new era in the rivalry.In the past decade Cork and Waterford were serious all ireland challengers.A Cork and Waterford championship meeting this year would be between two counties who will be rebuilding for the next few years.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Ger was out of order about what he wrote about John but like it or not he has a point about Waterford in championship matches in Croke Park mainly in all ireland semi finals.Waterford got to nine all ireland semi final since 98 but only won one of them!

huge talent in the county but having the wrong men in charge will be detrimental, they are at the age where they are in the middle of being a talented underage player and being a top intercounty senior player and men like michael ryan who hasnt a clue is not going to get the best from them and nature their talents.

Let's give Michael Ryan a fair chance before saying that he hasn't got a clue.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Easy Solution there. Stand against the existing officers at convention at the end of the year.

i dont live in waterford and i have a full time job, it wouldnt work tom.

Ger was out of order about what he wrote about John but like it or not he has a point about Waterford in championship matches in Croke Park mainly in all ireland semi finals.Waterford got to nine all ireland semi final since 98 but only won one of them!

really?? jeez thanks for pointing that out dont think any waterford folk had realised.

Loughnane was off the mark about Mullane though saying like waterford he choked on the big occasions. Fact is Mullane was one of the only ones who did step up on the big occasions. Forget the AI final which was a dead rubber anyway but remember his performance against KK in the AI semi of 2011 when he scored 1-6 from play against allegedly one of the greatest defences in history and his performance against Tipp in the 08 semi. Think Loughnane was just spouting off without actually looking at the facts and figures.

i dont live in waterford and i have a full time job, it wouldnt work tom.

Just for the matter of interest who would you think would be an ideal man to bring these young lads onto the next level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

In fairness, if you read the Star, you should expect to be offended.

Let's give Michael Ryan a fair chance before saying that he hasn't got a clue.

he did have his chance...did you not see what happened in thurles against cork last year? we were lucky not to be relegated in the league last year and our chances this year dont look great.
    do we wait till we're in division 2 and a few young lads are ruined before we make a change?

i understand that they have no money but why arent they beating down derek mcgraths door for example? i know it might be a bit early but hes the type of manager waterford need going forward. he has had success wherever he has went and knows the club scene inside out, hes young and enthuasiastic and has been there as a player.

i was at a club game last year and DLS were playing, michael ryan was sitting not far from in the stand, kevin moran was cleaning up at centre back, ryan starts asking people in the stand, "who's that fella? who's that lad playing centre back?" i wouldnt have believed it only i heard it myself, you couldnt make it up....

Just for the matter of interest who would you think would be an ideal man to bring these young lads onto the next level?

given that waterford have no money id like to see a waterford man such as derek mcgrath given a go. ideally in a few years time when he has a bit more experience but given the circumstances id like to see him in there asap.

• Advertisement

really?? jeez thanks for pointing that out dont think any waterford folk had realised.

Loughnane was off the mark about Mullane though saying like waterford he choked on the big occasions. Fact is Mullane was one of the only ones who did step up on the big occasions. Forget the AI final which was a dead rubber anyway but remember his performance against KK in the AI semi of 2011 when he scored 1-6 from play against allegedly one of the greatest defences in history and his performance against Tipp in the 08 semi. Think Loughnane was just spouting off without actually looking at the facts and figures.

Do you think i enjoy that statistic.I would have loved to see Waterford win the all ireland.I think ye would have went all the way in 07 if that Limerick match was put back a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement