Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

well thats exactly the reason it was changed to the current structure in the first place. As far as I know it was Old Parish who brought the motion forward first day as they were beaten in a Western junior final by Ballinacourty's second string side and felt it was 'unfair' that they missed out on their first western title to a second string team. As far as Im aware they haven't even got to the Western Final since the second string sides were banned from competing in the junior championship so it goes to show if your not good enough your not good enough. And people wonder why the intermediate championships are so poor in this county.

They have reached the final since the championship was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

shoddy14 wrote: »
    I've seen the FMW junior team on first hand and to be honest they are well out of their depth,

I have seen them in a number of games over the past few years and some very capable hurlers and I would disagree with the above completely. They won an u 21 B a few years back and also last year beating Passage I think and have a number of players re graded from Senior - Richie Fenton, Ian Coffey, Alan lawlor, Jp Fitzgerald. They know how to win games and championships and that is always dangerous even when faced with a bigger challenge. Of course thier attitude towards the Football may hamper the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Western Football Draws

Intermediate: Ballinacourty, Clashmore, Nire, Geraldines, Sliabh gCua, Dungarvan, Ballyduff
    One group semis - 1v4 2v3
    1st round 13th/14th April

Junior Premier: Old Parish, Modeligo, Kilgobnet, Affane, Colligan, Tallow, Shamrocks
    Top 2 in Semis. 3rd 4th and 5th to Qtrs with 6th v 7th for other qtr

Junior snr attached: Brickeys, Ring, Killrosanty, Stradbally, Ballinameela
    Home and away league basis with 1st to final and 2nd v 3rd in semi
    1st round 5th/6th April

Junior Int Attached: Dungarvan, Melleray, Geraldines
    Home and away league basis with 1st and 2nd to Final

U 21 A: Semis - Comeragh Gaels/Clashmore v Dungarvan/Ballinacourty
    Brickeys v St Olivers/ An Gaeltacht
    Starting Sat 16th Feb

U 21 B: Semis - Nire/Stradbally v Affane
    Killrosanty/Tallow v Ardmore/Ballyduff
    Starting Sat 16th Feb

Intermediate even enough where 2nd string sides will have a major say in it

Could someone clarify. Is that Clashmores 2nd string in the Intermediate football? As far as I'm aware it was Dungavan who got relegated from Senior last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I dont think I seen them last year but Id be familiar with most of their players Ive seen and played against them enough times and Id be fairly well up on the junior scene as a whole so I dont think my assessment is that far wide of the mark. unless FMW Juniors have turned into Kilkenny overnight lol

I don't think you have played against most of their players, because there was only 6 players that started the County Final over the age of 23, and there was another 5 on the bench that started games last year that are all u21.

And by your own admission, I don't think you need to be Kilkenny to be competitive in the West Intermediate Championship, even if Group 1 is a tough group.

Also we're getting bogged down in this for no reason, you just need to accept that you've never actually seen them play and that things do change one year to the next. You must have got an awful shock in 2008 when Waterford went from Munster and League champions to getting battered by Kilkenny (and Clare).
    Jarjohn wrote: »
    I have seen them in a number of games over the past few years and some very capable hurlers and I would disagree with the above completely. They won an u 21 B a few years back and also last year beating Passage I think and have a number of players re graded from Senior - Richie Fenton, Ian Coffey, Alan lawlor, Jp Fitzgerald. They know how to win games and championships and that is always dangerous even when faced with a bigger challenge. Of course thier attitude towards the Football may hamper the hurling

I think he was half taking the p*ss, given he mentioned Modeligo as a serious loss to the Intermediate championship (not trying to have a cut at Modeligo there, just duly noting they were relegated)
    Could someone clarify. Is that Clashmores 2nd string in the Intermediate football? As far as I'm aware it was Dungavan who got relegated from Senior last year?

They wont the Junior (Senior Attached) County last year, so it is indeed their second string team. Their Senior team made the County Semis having topped their group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I don't think you have played against most of their players, because there was only 6 players that started the County Final over the age of 23, and there was another 5 on the bench that started games last year that are all u21.

And by your own admission, I don't think you need to be Kilkenny to be competitive in the West Intermediate Championship, even if Group 1 is a tough group.

Also we're getting bogged down in this for no reason, you just need to accept that you've never actually seen them play and that things do change one year to the next. You must have got an awful shock in 2008 when Waterford went from Munster and League champions to getting battered by Kilkenny (and Clare).

look my debate is in relation to the Junior attached championship I was using FMW for an example I didnt really want to be getting into an argument about them at all. lad I cant understand why you dont just admit your a FMW man its kinda pathetic at this stage to be honest anything negative said about them or anyone from that club you take it way too personal.

yea I did get an awful shock in the AI final of 08 aswell actually any waterford person that says they saw that coming is a spoofer

• Advertisement

I think he was half taking the p*ss, given he mentioned Modeligo as a serious loss to the Intermediate championship (not trying to have a cut at Modeligo there, just duly noting they were relegated)

They wont the Junior (Senior Attached) County last year, so it is indeed their second string team. Their Senior team made the County Semis having topped their group.

I know Ballinacourty and the Nire had 2nd stings in Intermediate football and Abbeyside in Intermediate hurling up to this year. Lismore getting relegated fom Intermediate hurling the year before last. But before that I cant remember Junior attached teams going up that often at all. Anybody know why both Junior attached winners have gone up to Intermediate in both codes?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any news on any challenge matches for the hurlers?

look my debate is in relation to the Junior attached championship I was using FMW for an example I didnt really want to be getting into an argument about them at all. lad I cant understand why you dont just admit your a FMW man its kinda pathetic at this stage to be honest anything negative said about them or anyone from that club you take it way too personal.

yea I did get an awful shock in the AI final of 08 aswell actually any waterford person that says they saw that coming is a spoofer

My issue is with the points you are trying to make. Abbeyside have had an Intermediate team since at least 2009, Lismore had one up until last year. Your writing off a team to try and enhance your argument when all it really does is take away from it because it's clear enough you don't really know what your talking about. If we look back it what you've said the last few days:

-Apparently you need to be Kilkenny to survive in the West Waterford intermediate championship

-You made a definitive judgement on a team you haven't even seen play, which you have continued to blindly defend using arguments that I'm biased despite somebody always claiming they were handy enough.

-You also seem convinced that I said they were a great team or something. I never even said they'd survive in the Intermediate championship, but I strongly doubt that they're way out of their depth.

I realize that this is a bit of a ridiculous focal point for the argument, and intermediate second string team.

But I'm basically just calling your bluff here, because while you initially made an argument I'd agree with you tried to back it up with evidence that doesn't weigh up hoping that people would be none the wiser. And it's not the first time...I'm still waiting for that list of 250 players!

I know Ballinacourty and the Nire had 2nd stings in Intermediate football and Abbeyside in Intermediate hurling up to this year. Lismore getting relegated fom Intermediate hurling the year before last. But before that I cant remember Junior attached teams going up that often at all. Anybody know why both Junior attached winners have gone up to Intermediate in both codes?

Kilmac beat Tallow in the Junior Football County final, and Butlerstown beat Geraldines in the Hurling, both were quite comprehensive.

Fourmilewater beat Ballygunner comprehensively in the Junior attached, and Clashmore beat Gaultier but I'm not sure what the margin was in that one.

So they were given the option to go up if they wanted to, but didn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any news on any challenge matches for the hurlers?

• Advertisement

Kilmac beat Tallow in the Junior Football County final, and Butlerstown beat Geraldines in the Hurling, both were quite comprehensive.

Fourmilewater beat Ballygunner comprehensively in the Junior attached, and Clashmore beat Gaultier but I'm not sure what the margin was in that one.

So they were given the option to go up if they wanted to, but didn't have to.

So theres actually no protocol in place for deciding whether they go up or not?

So theres actually no protocol in place for deciding whether they go up or not?

I'm not a 100% sure to be honest. The two Junior proper teams lost the West finals whereas the attached teams won the County, so I'm thinking they got first preference but I'm not sure.

I'm not a 100% sure to be honest. The two Junior proper teams lost the West finals whereas the attached teams won the County, so I'm thinking they got first preference but I'm not sure.

I wouldnt say the 2 Junior proper teams who lost the county finals ever had the option of going up. You have to win the county finals to go up. Would be very interesting, what would happen if both the junior proper teams in both codes in the west lost the county finals, ie no West team was entitled to go up intermediate

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

No it was Gaultier who won the County.

Brianne wrote: »
    No it was Gaultier who won the County.

Well that really throws a spanner in the works if true

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

Gaultier won the county last year... and AFAIK have gone up intermediate similar to FMW in the hurling... leaving Saviors and Rathgormac to battle it out in eastern snr attached junior champ 2013.. unless revamped

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Following a certain name being allegedly connected to this forum user last week,i feel it only fair to that person and to members of his family that i refrain from any further posting of my views on this forum. I did believe that privacy was of the utmost importance on this forum but as a man's name was wrongly connected to this user i feel any further posts may cause further harm and upset to this person's family.

wadefuq wrote: »
    Gaultier won the county last year... and AFAIK have gone up intermediate similar to FMW in the hurling... leaving Saviors and Rathgormac to battle it out in eastern snr attached junior champ 2013.. unless revamped

Apologies. Wow, that really is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

wadefuq wrote: »

As far as I know, there are two groups of six in the east intermediate football 2013.

I think that all of the senior attached teams went up to intermediate. I know that Gaultier and Rathgormac have done so, so I presume that this three, along with Kilmacthomas who won the junior proper in 2012, all go up to intermediate along with 8 teams from last year if that makes sense?

There is also an intermediate league which started last year which should offer extra games, which is a progressive move in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

zol 2 wrote: »
    Following a certain name being allegedly connected to this forum user last week,i feel it only fair to that person and to members of his family that i refrain from any further posting of my views on this forum. I did believe that privacy was of the utmost importance on this forum but as a man's name was wrongly connected to this user i feel any further posts may cause further harm and upset to this person's family.

Fair enough Zol, your views are interesting and you provide fairly accurate information near the panel. You can always set up a different domain user name if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

hardybuck wrote: »
    As far as I know, there are two groups of six in the east intermediate football 2013.

I think that all of the senior attached teams went up to intermediate. I know that Gaultier and Rathgormac have done so, so I presume that this three, along with Kilmacthomas who won the junior proper in 2012, all go up to intermediate along with 8 teams from last year if that makes sense?

There is also an intermediate league which started last year which should offer extra games, which is a progressive move in my opinion.

The intermediate league that was started last year was good. For years intermediate teams were abandonded and spat at by the western and eastern divisions thus confined to playing a maximium of 5 competitive games per year. They should aim to get the eastern league wrapped up before the eastern championship final as in the west the league was finished in advance of the closing stages of the western championship for last year and this gave An Ring a competitive advantage in the championship after winning the western league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

alllcounty wrote: »
    The intermediate league that was started last year was good. For years intermediate teams were abandonded and spat at by the western and eastern divisions thus confined to playing a maximium of 5 competitive games per year. They should aim to get the eastern league wrapped up before the eastern championship final as in the west the league was finished in advance of the closing stages of the western championship for last year and this gave An Ring a competitive advantage in the championship after winning the western league.

Absolutely - and I think junior players are in the same boat. The lack of games is offering them very little incentive to make themselves available.

They should be starting games in February. Clubs should be able to use this as an opportunity to get fit and ready for Championship.

By starting early, they'll have a lot of games played before Championship kicks in. The remaining league games can be played over the summer when the inevitable gaps appear in fixture lists when the county teams are in full flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kerrrBLAHHH

alllcounty wrote: »
    Fair enough Zol, your views are interesting and you provide fairly accurate information near the panel. You can always set up a different domain user name if you want.

whats this about?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scoring forward

zol 2 wrote: »

Zol you named a man who has nothing to do with me and who is not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soggy biscuit

Anyone know what time the draw for the senior hurling and football championships are tonight?

SB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

My issue is with the points you are trying to make. Abbeyside have had an Intermediate team since at least 2009, Lismore had one up until last year. Your writing off a team to try and enhance your argument when all it really does is take away from it because it's clear enough you don't really know what your talking about. If we look back it what you've said the last few days:

-Apparently you need to be Kilkenny to survive in the West Waterford intermediate championship

-You made a definitive judgement on a team you haven't even seen play, which you have continued to blindly defend using arguments that I'm biased despite somebody always claiming they were handy enough.

-You also seem convinced that I said they were a great team or something. I never even said they'd survive in the Intermediate championship, but I strongly doubt that they're way out of their depth.

I realize that this is a bit of a ridiculous focal point for the argument, and intermediate second string team.

But I'm basically just calling your bluff here, because while you initially made an argument I'd agree with you tried to back it up with evidence that doesn't weigh up hoping that people would be none the wiser. And it's not the first time...I'm still waiting for that list of 250 players!

im actually confused at this stage dont really know what the argument is even about anymore.

look i'll admit i was kind of saying it about FMW with tongue in cheek knowing it would spark a reaction from you but I absolutely stand by my argument that they will be out of their depth at intermediate level next year from what ive seen and know of them and definetly some of the teams in the junior proper are better than them. I dont have a problem if you dont agree but its obvious that you dont respect others peoples opinions and thats what bugs me. you will got to any lengths to discredit other peoples points if view if you dont agree and try to make them look stupid.

this message board is meant to be for all discussions on every aspect of waterfod gaa but in your eyes it obviously excludes points of view on particular area of the county... anyone who does is metwith an ambush!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

SF group 2. 1. The Nire 2. Ballinacourty 3. Rathgormack 4. An Rinn 5. Brickey's 6. Ballinameela

SF Group 1. 1. Stradbally 2. Clashmore 3. Kilrossanty 4. Ardmore 5. Gaultier 6. St. Saviours

SH Group 2. 1. Dungarvan 2. Mt Sion 3. Abbeyside 4. Ballygunner 5. Roanmore 6. Passage

SH Group 1. 1. De la Salle 2. Fourmilewater 3. Tallow. 4. Lismore 5. Ballyduff upper 6. An Rinn

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭skaface

Some interesting matches to look forward to in the Local Hurling and Football C/Ships !!

• Advertisement

skaface wrote: »
    Some interesting matches to look forward to in the Local Hurling and Football C/Ships !!
    looking forward to them already...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement