Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration: Bitterness at those who have left

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Leftist wrote: »
    oz is for common people. The xfactor of emigration destinations. Full of the kinds of people who used to be sat in big pub smoking areas downing pints of bulmers in the middle of the day, moaning about polish people and blacks. I'd rather live in west africa.

Does that include my cousin who works as a nurse over there and her husband who works a 60+hr per week engineering job? I think there are plenty of decent working people living there...unlike your 'common people'.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    I was talking to a few people over the Xmas holidays about how they were getting on great out in OZ. They kept trying to put across the weather as such a big factor in why its so great. See the thing is. I can't go to Spain for more than a week on holidays because it's just too warm. Not everyone enjoys the heat. As I sat there listening to them rabbitting on about how the rain ruins this country, I looked out the window and never appreciated it more. Stick yer sun up yer hole, and give me rain any day.

Yeah. I know what you mean. I'm not a sun person and found it horrible during the summer in Korea or even staying longer than a week in Spain (unless there are some rainy days that break up the week(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

red_bairn wrote: »
    Does that include my cousin who works as a nurse over there and her husband who works a 60+hr per week engineering job? I think there are plenty of decent working people living there...unlike your 'common people'.

nobody ever said common people don't work hard.

and if your relatives are the kinds of people who go over there and integrate into the australian culture then I would suggest they could be given the benefit of the doubt.

If they're over there surrounded by irish friends, chatting about tayto and wearing their sweaty gaa jersey around the place then perhaps it's the other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

oz is for common people. The xfactor of emigration destinations. Full of the kinds of people who used to be sat in big pub smoking areas downing pints of bulmers in the middle of the day, moaning about polish people and blacks. I'd rather live in west africa.

What are "common" people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

This is the Celtic Tiger kids relearning the lessons of the previous generations, my generation and the ones before that. Nothing new here. It's just a pity it's back.

At one point back in the eighties most of my family were living abroad. Somehow they all ended up back here. Now they're facing their kids going the same route.

People complain about the attitude towards Ireland of those back on holiday. It that really surprising? Not only did most of them have to go to get work or simply to get work in their field because of the shambles this country has become. But when they go somewhere their eyes are opened to how thing can and should be done if this country didn't resemble a third world country at times.

My sister worked in London for years and when she came back. She was constantly frustrated by the difficulties she ran into when trying to get work done or try and organise something. She only realised how bad this country was when she came back.

That is true of so many people's experiences.

As for people who resent those who emigrated and did well for themselves. Well get off your backsides and copy them.

But for all those who resent them. There are many more who would like to join them but either cannot go or simply don't have the qualifications or experience to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

nobody ever said common people don't work hard.

and if your relatives are the kinds of people who go over there and integrate into the australian culture then I would suggest they could be given the benefit of the doubt.

If they're over there surrounded by irish friends, chatting about tayto and wearing their sweaty gaa jersey around the place then perhaps it's the other way.

yeah, I misread that differently. You said above that "[...]kinds of people who used to be sat in big pub smoking areas downing pints of bulmers in the middle of the day, [...]"...so I assumed you meant only a feck load of unemployed people are over there. :D

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    What are "common" people?

common denominator. Follow the crowd.

common denominator. Follow the crowd.

It's just an odd term, I rarely hear these days. Sounds Victorian, in essence.

I don't begrudge the young lads in Bondi, if they want to treat it all as an extended 18-30 holiday, fine. I'm sure they'll learn, eventually. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

old hippy wrote: »
    One of my ancestors was a returning emigrant, he went to the farm to catch up with the family. He wasn't behaving flash, he hadn't been home in years and he was treated with suspicion and called the "rich yank". He ended up going back to the States, much saddened. :(

You have to remember that he's not Irish anymore and the ones who stay here are the ''super-duper real Irish people''

I remember a piece in that Indo rag a few years back about 2nd and 3rd generation Irish people divided into the one's ''we'll have'' and the ones ''we'd rather do without''

Who the f**k are ''we'', who do they think they're speaking for?

Equally vomit inducing is someone like Mary Kennedy interviewing visitors in the crowd during the St Patricks Day parades with the whole slant of '' you're not from here and we are ! '',

yeah, they took one look at your banks, politicians and hospitals and they're all jealous.

dd972 wrote: »
    You have to remember that he's not Irish anymore and the ones who stay here are the ''super-duper real Irish people''

I remember a piece in that Indo rag a few years back about 2nd and 3rd generation Irish people divided into the one's ''we'll have'' and the ones ''we'd rather do without''

Equally vomit inducing is someone like Mary Kennedy interviewing visitors in the crowd during the St Patricks Day parades with the whole slant of '' you're not from here and we are ! '',

yeah, they took one look at your banks, politicians and hospitals and they're all jealous.

The indo is one of the most divisive, snobbish and sickly publications there is. It desperately wants to be the Daily Mail :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

bluecode wrote: »
    This is the Celtic Tiger kids relearning the lessons of the previous generations, my generation and the ones before that. Nothing new here. It's just a pity it's back.

At one point back in the eighties most of my family were living abroad. Somehow they all ended up back here. Now they're facing their kids going the same route.

People complain about the attitude towards Ireland of those back on holiday. It that really surprising? Not only did most of them have to go to get work or simply to get work in their field because of the shambles this country has become. But when they go somewhere their eyes are opened to how thing can and should be done if this country didn't resemble a third world country at times.

My sister worked in London for years and when she came back. She was constantly frustrated by the difficulties she ran into when trying to get work done or try and organise something. She only realised how bad this country was when she came back.

That is true of so many people's experiences.

As for people who resent those who emigrated and did well for themselves. Well get off your backsides and copy them.

But for all those who resent them. There are many more who would like to join them but either cannot go or simply don't have the qualifications or experience to do so.

There must be a problem where returning emigrants are too vocal. I am one, there is little point me going "Londons public transport is so much better" because people know ( the experience is just as bad though - in fact I prefer the less crowded, if slower Dart).

There are things done better in London, and the US, and worse. The best thing is to accept that countries are different.

• Advertisement

dd972 wrote: »

But we are not talking about the 2nd generation here. A second or third generation descendent of immigrants is not an immigrant, is a citizen of where they were born and raised first and foremost, and probably doesn't claim to be "full" Irish. Mary Kennedy is asking people where they are from because journalists do that at parades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The outdoor life is plenty possible in Ireland, in fact more so than most of Europe. It's 11 c and dry today, 2nd Jan. I don't get the need to go to Australia to surf, boat, or cycle. If rain stops you you may not be that interested in the first place.

Sure you can boat/Jet ski and 4WD in Ireland, but its the crap softcock version. Driving around a muddy field in an old batted land rover doesn't compare with something like Monkey Gum fire trail in a raised Landcruiser, fishing for 2lb trout in Ireland is hardly the same as 1 metre kingfish or 70Kg stripy. As for Jet skiing absolute delight in 20C water and the petrol is less than a euro a litre, not just the weather but other factors.

Great thread lads... the Irish disease surely clouds the mind.

if you're away from ireland for a while and you come back it looks like a windy monastary island populated by wild island people and priests. The same could have been said 1000 years ago.
    Everyone on the island talks about the island. They love it and they hate it. I think sinead o'conner is probably the greatest representation of the island in one person. Mental, windy and sad. Windy feckers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Sure you can boat/Jet ski and 4WD in Ireland, but its the crap softcock version. Driving around a muddy field in an old batted land rover doesn't compare with something like Monkey Gum fire trail in a raised Landcruiser, fishing for 2lb trout in Ireland is hardly the same as 1 metre kingfish or 70Kg stripy. As for Jet skiing absolute delight in 20C water and the petrol is less than a euro a litre, not just the weather but other factors.

I was in Oz/NZ for 2 years and I never enjoyed surfing as much as I do back in the west of Ireland. For that sport anyway, it's not all about whether the sun is shining or not.

if you're away from ireland for a while and you come back it looks like a windy monastary island populated by wild island people and priests. The same could have been said 1000 years ago.
    Everyone on the island talks about the island. They love it and they hate it. I think sinead o'conner is probably the greatest representation of the island in one person. Mental, windy and sad. Windy feckers.

Whoever you talk to when you go home sound like retards

The only Irish disease is the claim of an Irish disease. I'll take your word for it that fishing for a 1 metre kingfish is harder than trout, I don't fish. On the other hand fishing in tougher Atlantic waters might be more of a challenge. you want stuff to be harder in one sense, bigger fish, and mollycoddled in another 20c or nothing. HTFU.

No idea about 4WD.

I prefer Europe myself, one of the reasons I came back from the US is that outside the cities there is little it interest, and nothing historical, while Europe is impossible to not find and interesting spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nice to meet you again, Derek.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Whoever you talk to when you go home sound like retards

It's society as a whole.

It's society as a whole.

Not the society I keep at home

Not the society I keep at home

entitled to your opinion but if you are denying irish culture is
    a) insular
    b) obsessed with religion
    c) wild in nature
    then you are deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I was in Oz/NZ for 2 years and I never enjoyed surfing as much as I do back in the west of Ireland. For that sport anyway, it's not all about whether the sun is shining or not.

surfing is so borrrrring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

Is "crouching tiger hidden naggin" a saying? I made up that as a nickname for a bird i knew in college (who used to bring a naggin in her handbag to nightclubs) but hadn't heard it in years until i saw that video

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

a) insular
    c) wild in nature
    then you are deluded.

It's no better or worse than any other culture lad. Cheer up.

a) insular
    c) wild in nature
    then you are deluded.

a) it's an island. We are more aware of other cultures than the UK, as we know about them but they don't know about us. As for the rest of Europe, very few English speakers know anything much about non-English speaking cultures.
    b) the obsession is mostly atheists obsessing. Otherwise with the exception of laws , rather than opinion, on abortion Ireland is in line with Western Europe.
    c) no idea what that means. We're fairly staid.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

red_bairn wrote: »
    I'm not a sun person and found it horrible during the summer in Korea

This summer was tough going hope we don't get something that extreme again next year! Having said that, the weather in Ireland can **** off. At least I can turn on the A/C here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

a) it's an island. We are more aware of other cultures than the UK, as we know about them but they don't know about us. As for the rest of Europe, very few English speakers know anything much about non-English speaking cultures.
    b) the obsession is mostly atheists obsessing. Otherwise with the exception of laws , rather than opinion, on abortion Ireland is in line with Western Europe.
    c) no idea what that means. We're fairly staid.

Take a look at a comparative map of abortion laws here.

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Take a look at a comparative map of abortion laws here.

What's that answering in my post - the post where I said "except for abortion"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

What's that answering in my post - the post where I said "except for abortion"

It was partly in agreement but also partly to show that we are a country that is quite religion obsessed, if you look at the other countries with similar laws you will find very high levels of religiosity and in this case correlation does imply causation. Whether its a la carte or devout both are still professions of faith.

Mardy Bum wrote: »

It was partly in agreement but also partly to show that we are a country that is quite religion obsessed, if you look at the other countries with similar laws you will find very high levels of religiosity and in this case correlation does imply causation. Whether its a la carte or devout both are still professions of faith.

Fair enough, but abortion is a thorny issue. The same a la cartes vote for gay civil partnership. See South America. Western Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wouldn't say I had any bitterness about people who emigrated but I did have skepticism. The majority of people I know who left Ireland didn't do it because there was no alternative but they still said, that it was because there was no jobs.

I can remember reading an article on the Journal, on about how Ireland was losing it's best and brightest and how screwed over the graduates of today are. They are not screwed over, nobody said when you do your heavily subsidized degree that you would walk into a job. Also the best and the brightest could possibly be the one's who were kept in gainful employment or were picked out of the hundred of applicants (if you believe that) for every job advertised...

Advertisement