Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration: Bitterness at those who have left

Options
  • 27-12-2012 7:31pm
    Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭

There are many reasons why young people emigrate - some leave out of frustration at the lack of suitable job opportunities Ireland provides; others simply go for the craic. Who wouldn't prefer tanning on a beach in Oz over shivering in your wet socks in Carlow? But it's Christmas time now and a lot of young Irish emigrants have returned home to enjoy the festive fun with their families.

One thing I've noticed though is the bitterness among those who never left towards those who did. They begrudge the fact that you are enjoying your life abroad and have a bit of money to spend in the pub and do a bit of traveling. They would prefer if you were miserable in Ireland, wasting your youth away on the dole.

This video is doing the rounds on youtube at the moment. Watch out for the theater Northside accent on the UCD graduate. Related video is relevant

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think people should bring this up more.But going to a different country on a one year work visa isn't emigration.We have thousands of people going on working holidays technically,not thousands of emigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hi Dave. Are ya having a good Xmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I can't wait to get out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Debator wrote: »
    There are many reasons why young people emigrate - some leave out of frustration at the lack of suitable job opportunities Ireland provides; others simply go for the craic. Who wouldn't prefer tanning on a beach in Oz over shivering in your wet socks in Carlow? But it's Christmas time now and a lot of young Irish emigrants have returned home to enjoy the festive fun with their families.

But Oz is so good.............so why come home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Feck them, let them off, more jobs and women for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I can't wait to get out of here.
    I used to think that till i spent a few years in nz/oz, couldn't wait to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I think people should bring this up more.But going to a different country on a one year work visa isn't emigration.We have thousands of people going on working holidays technically,not thousands of emigrants.
    Thats very true at the height of the boom we had a huge amount of people leaving for a year of craic abroad somewhere aswell. Everyone leaving isnt doing it just for work. (I think Noonan got crucified for saying that a few months ago though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I hear the opposite often enough- returned emigrants putting Ireland down. It s still my home and I dont want to live anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

One thing I've noticed though is the bitterness among those who never left towards those who did. They begrudge the fact that you are enjoying your life abroad and have a bit of money to spend in the pub and do a bit of traveling. They would prefer if you were miserable in Ireland, wasting your youth away on the dole.

This video is doing the rounds on youtube at the moment. Watch out for the theater Northside accent on the UCD graduate. Related video is relevant

Maybe his accent is put on but there are plenty of northsiders in UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭Debator

Quazzie wrote: »
    Hi Dave. Are ya having a good Xmas?

Odd comment. My name isn't Dave.
    mikom wrote: »

I'm not an emigrant. I've never been to Oz. But thanks for proving my point at the bitter, cynical attitude of some Irish towards the others that have gone abroad.

I'm not an emigrant. I've never been to Oz. But thanks for proving my point at the bitter, cynical attitude of some Irish towards the others that have gone abroad.

Touchy.
    It was just a question.
    Maybe your thin skin could do with a dose of OZ sunshine to leather it up a bit.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭Debator

Touchy.
    It was just a question.
    Maybe your thin skin could do with a dose of OZ sunshine to leather it up a bit.

Ad hominem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

pmcmahon wrote: »

Thats the thing.
    Candian visas are 2 years and Australian visas are only 1 year. Its still a great life experience and a chance to earn a few bob more than what you would have over here. But you still got to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Watch out for the theater Northside accent on the UCD graduate.

Emmet Kirwan (the guy in the video) is actually from Tallaght. He didn't go to UCD either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

A. Few of friends have being refused the 2nd year visa after all the farm work an that they would be. a mixture of professionals and tradesmen there worse to listen to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Oz is shite and overrated. Far away hills are greener and all that bollox.

Ad hominem.

You know where the report button is.
    Mind you don't graze your skin pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

What I hate is the stuck up attitude of some of the emmigrants who come home-thet piss and moan about missing home when they're away and then when they come home all they talk about is how "amaaaazing" life is in Oz etc.

Ireland's not THAT bad, so they need to stop dumping on it every chance they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Moaning about people moaning about others who moan about others

Really breaking the mould there OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Odd comment. My name isn't Dave.

Well you stated that the video was "doing the rounds" but it only has under 300 views. Sticking it up as part of a thread in After Hours where and linking to it rather than embedding it would be a really good method to get some views and publicity for it. Would you not agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Quazzie wrote: »
    Well you stated that the video was "doing the rounds" but it only has under 300 views. Sticking it up as part of a thread in After Hours where and linking to it rather than embedding it would be a really good method to get some views and publicity for it. Would you not agree?

In fairness it has the usual "301" views.
    Thats the cut-off point for youtube to start processing genuine youtube hits and then updating the counter.

You've never seen a recently uploaded video that had thousands of comments but yet only 301 views? ;) there is a cool video explaining why it stops on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

I've travelled a lot, living in divergent places for periods of time and until recently I always felt there was more to life than living in Ireland....

But the reality is (for me anyway): the grass really is always greener. All my friends are here. Some who've been my friends for more than 20 years.

You can't have that when you move away. OK, you make new friends, but not like the ones you can depend on for anything, anything at all. And you've worked hard to build all these relationships.

Ireland is not perfect, far from it obviously, but it's home for me and I like it. Ireland is quite unique. We've some great sights and sounds here.

There are so many seemingly small things here that you miss while abroad, but you realise they all make up something unique about this country and it's people.

As for those who emigrate, best of luck, but I just don't think it's for me.

I don't want Christmas on the beach, every Tom, Dick and Harry walking around with guns, I don't want to live somewhere where I have to check my shoes for deadly spiders (the Irish ones freak me out enough, thanks! :D), I don't want to spend my holidays coming back to Ireland, I don't want to fly half way around the world if a family member gets sick, if I want to visit main land Europe for a weekend, I can, I don't want to have to watch United games at 7am, I want to enjoy them with my friends, who I don't have to schedule a phone call with because of time differences...

.. these are the things I think about. For those they're not relevant to, well I certainly wouldn't be grudge them a happy life elsewhere.

I think it's the few who bad mouth Ireland while back visiting are the issue here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've never lived abroad and no need to look at going for the moment as I'm current employed and happy where I am, but i certainly hold no grudges towards those who have left, whether it be out of necessity or simply for a new adventure and in search of a better quality of life. It's a big and brave decision to make for most.

However its not all rosy for those who have emigrated and from speaking to some guys and girls who were back for the Xmas hols, the impression I got is most would much prefer to be back home or at least somewhere closer to home as their family and friends are all still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I don't know if it's so much begrudgery aimed at people who left but more resentment that those left behind are sticking it out, trying to ride the storm rather than bail ship.

No doubt there is a lingering feeling of abandonment as people see their loved ones leave and the talent hemoragging.

The celtic tiger was the one chance for trans generational continuity and we blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No offence, but you don't get to speak for the thousands and thousands of Irish people who have family and friends living abroad. It is A LOT more complicated than that overly simple description imo. I spent most of my adult life living overseas, as have several of my family members. In my family, there is a certain amount of resentment amongst those who stayed towards those who left, that those who stayed had to deal with all the family drama over the years, that those who were gone really didn't.

There are all kinds of issues... parents getting older and not able to take care of themselves anymore, family members getting sick & needing long term care and support, the family home needing repairs, marriages breaking up, family members losing their jobs, people dying etc etc. The folks who stay have to deal with that stuff day in and day out. Those of us who are gone really don't. We are often perceived as being off living the high life in Oz or the US, having a grand old time unaffected by the day to day harsh realities of life back in Ireland.

Those of us who leave have our own issues to deal with of homesickness and isolation that the folks at home can't ever comprehend, which leads to yet more hidden resentment and anger. That's how is is in my family anyway, and the families of Irish friends of mine who also live over seas. It may or may not be so for you and your circle of family and friends, but what it definitely is not is a simple state of affairs that can be simply explained away by a few glib generalizations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I spent 3 of the last 5 years abroad in the UK and Canada. The media really need to distinguish between proper emigrants and those away temporarily on working holiday visas. The truth is most Irish people in places like Australia and Canada will have to come back to Ireland at some point because they don't have the skills or experience necessary to get permanent residency.

I met a lot of Irish abroad that wouldn't shut up about how much they hated Ireland. That's their business I suppose but being abroad made me realise just how much I like living in Ireland. I liked living in the UK and Canada as well and made friends there but it just wasn't the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

They begrudge the fact that you are enjoying your life abroad and have a bit of money to spend in the pub and do a bit of traveling. They would prefer if you were miserable in Ireland, wasting your youth away on the dole.

I think its that attitude that people who stay at home find more resentful.

There are few sights more pompous than that of a returned emigrant (especially someone on a one year working holiday visa) splashing the cash down the pub.

Believe it or not, there are people in Ireland who do work and have their own money in their pockets.

I speak as someone who has worked in various countries over many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Nothing like a thread about begrudging people for begrudging/not begrudging begrudgers.

That's the Irish way !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

A lot of the Irish who went to the UK in the 50/60's and their offspring are looked down upon by older Irish people who stayed ( a lot of whom view them as failed Irish people or some sort of sub breed of non traveller itinerants ) and by the current crop of whizz kid post grads that currently move to the UK who want nothing to do with them ( viewing them as a church and gaa orientated anachronism and not representative of funky,modern day,secular Ireland )

Advertisement