Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

In the same boat as above poster, even if it happens in the next 12 months it doesnt really matter to me anymore, they are both a little too old at this stage for it to really get me going, Id watch it obviously, but would have been much more excited a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 54,641 ✭✭✭✭walshb

“If they never fight, it won’t be Pacquiao’s fault,” Holmes said of the would be mega-clash. “Every time they came round to fighting, Mayweather put his excuses in. Pacquiao did all he can. He did all I would have done. I think Mayweather just got a little too scared if you ask me.

“Pacquiao was the one going up a weight-class for Mayweather, not vice-versa, and Mayweather is the one who can’t earn a big price unless he fights Pacquiao, not the other way around. Pacquiao is a good fighter, the greatest of all time. People have always paid to see his fights and always will.”

Holmes’ comments are sure to annoy Mayweather fans, and to be fair, Mayweather HAS earned big money in his own fights. As Floyd has said many times; Pacquiao will earn his biggest-ever payday if he faces him. Of course, that works both ways. But is Larry serious when he calls Pacquiao THE greatest fighter of all-time? How many comments will that statement alone generate!?

But Holmes, who ruled the heavyweight division from 1978 to 1985, had more to say:

“If he thinks Pacquiao is taking drugs, so what,” Holmes said. “He should just say ‘you take it, you kill yourself, that isn’t going to help you, because with my talent and ability I believe I can still beat you.’ But he was too scared to take that challenge.”

The two real succinct and accurate points relate to the drugs and the fact that Manny is the little man moving up. I mentioned both these points already

Barry McGuigan also mentioned the drugs issue and his views were identical to Larry's and mine. The drugs was always simply an obstacle that Floyd put in. Drugs never worried Floyd, it was a potential loss to Manny that worried him, and he used the drugs to deflect the fear of a loss.

So what if Manny is on drugs, Floyd. Fight him, beat him, earn loads of money and then boast that you are so good that you beat a steroid taking Pacman.

Also, the finacial side doesn't hold up either. Floyd will NEVER earn what he could earn if he met Manny. Even at 50/50 Floyd would earn a lot more than against any other man where Floyd would take the lions share.

Me agreeing with his views has nothing to do with them suiting my argument. I have no bias towards either fighter. I like both as boxers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

A fact that has seldom been mentioned is that the more time goes by the less the match is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

although ppl say they don't care this post along with the haye/chisora brawl post seem the most popular.....

A fact that has seldom been mentioned is that the more time goes by the less the match is worth.

I think it's been mentioned a lot. Would I pay to see the fight in 2012? Yes. Does it appeal to me like it did 18-24 months ago. No way. I was so enthused by it two years ago. Now, I would look forward, but not near as much as when it should have happened. BOTH men are not at their best. Also, it would not bother me if they never met.

• Advertisement

I say Manny is in the last year of his prime. Mayweather is definitely past his best IMO.

Though I suspect Mayweather will still look impeccable against Cotto. He may end up losing against some kid though eventually.

Larry maybe doesn't speak all sense:

“Pacquiao was the one going up a weight-class for Mayweather, not vice-versa, and Mayweather is the one who can’t earn a big price unless he fights Pacquiao, not the other way around. Pacquiao is a good fighter, the greatest of all time. People have always paid to see his fights and always will.”

How can you be just a good fighter yet also the GOAT?:confused:

I say Manny is in the last year of his prime. Mayweather is definitely past his best IMO.

Though I suspect Mayweather will still look impeccable against Cotto. He may end up losing against some kid though eventually.

I believe Floyd to be past his best too. He may be physically stronger (age and weight maturity), but the feet and hands aren't as quick, nor are the reflexes. He is 35 now isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

although ppl say they don't care this post along with the haye/chisora brawl post seem the most popular.....

The bs that comes from both sides about why this fight cannot be made will usually generate alot of discussion. Both of these guys regularly come out with things that cannot be justified.

Of course i'd still watch the fight now, but honestly, this fight doesn't even interest me a tenth of what it would have 2 years ago. The fight in my mind could have been one of the greatest ever and it had to happen, now I don't care whether it happens or not and it means little compared to what it could have. I think neither fighter is in his prime, Manny less so than Floyd.

It also think it means less because I think less of both fighters now, 2 years ago I felt it was all building to the big fight, now I know that's it's too late even if things get sorted and there just fighting a few minor obstacles for the sake of it

walshb wrote: »
    I believe Floyd to be past his best too. He may be physically stronger (age and weight maturity), but the feet and hands aren't as quick, nor are the reflexes. He is 35 now isn't he?

Yep. Though he is still too good for all but Pacquiao. (below middleweight.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Could the day come when Floyd goes the way of RJJ? That his reflexes slip just that little bit and someone catches him with a shot that changes everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Yep. Though he is still too good for all but Pacquiao. (below middleweight.)

Below middleweight? You know Pac is the smaller man ye?

Henno30 wrote: »
    Could the day come when Floyd goes the way of RJJ? That his reflexes slip just that little bit and someone catches him with a shot that changes everything?

I don't see that happening anytime soon. Sure, if he keeps going, but I believe Floyd has maybe three more bouts left and he's retired for good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Obviously if he keeps fighting he's going to lose eventually, he is human after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It could but in fairness he is still very fast, his defense is amazing still and he has a solid chin and great recovery if he get's rocked.

As Walshb said, 2-3 fights and he's gone either way-i think he'll go out unbeaten or been beaten by a heavier up and comer possibly.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

/ Close Thread please !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This fight will happen next year now, Mayweather will fancy his chances against a rusty Manny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Gintonious wrote: »
    This fight will happen next year now, Mayweather will fancy his chances against a rusty Manny.

I wouldn't say he was rusty, he looked better than I've seen him in at least the last two years. He was two points ahead in my eyes before the KO. His defence was never good.

I wouldn't say he was rusty, he looked better than I've seen him in at least the last two years. He was two points ahead in my eyes before the KO. His defence was never good.

I agree. I think Manny looked as sharp as ever. He was clearly superior in the fight. A lot more so that the last fight. Got tagged by a perfectly timed right hook OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Manny looked good because he was for the first time in years facing a guy who was willing to stand in front of him. Mosley, Bradley, and Marquez last year didn't do that and Manny looked unimpressive as a result.

Provided JMM hasn't destroyed him with that shot, he'll look really good against Rios too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Mayweather just posted a quick video of himself in the gym, serious upper body strength. He keeps himself in such good shape between fights. One of the reasons he's been fighting at such a high level for so long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Long Live The King

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

sorry, who is the king...??

sorry, who is the king...??

Floyd-Mayweather-believes-Manny-Pacquiao-desperately-needs-to-fight-him-Boxing-News-148126.jpg

He was winning the fight no prob, but the 2 times he left himself open he was caught, the second of which sent him to bed.

Mayweather is sharper than Marquez, and I do think that if Manny is beginning to show these kinks in his armor, then Mayweather will see it as a prime opportunity to settle the debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

The King is back at work boys.

someone is in trouble.

All that cash and still trains like he hasn't got a cent. #Boss

The haters can finally unwrap their gums from around Pacquaio's plums, there is only room atop the podium for one.

also nice to read the kind words he had for his rival.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13717.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

According to 50 Cent Mayweather is locked into a fight - earn the money - spend the money - fight again cycle so he may need to fight again out of financial necessity. He'll probably retire broke and then live off his name like Tyson. Very few boxers possess the acumen to save their money and invest. Lennox Lewis is a notable example.

I wouldn't agree with that, he is training like any other pro athlete, hard. You don't need fancy dumbbells or that to train to a high level.

He should probably buy a new video camera with all the cash he's got!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

According to 50 Cent Mayweather is locked into a fight - earn the money - spend the money - fight again cycle so he may need to fight again out of financial necessity. He'll probably retire broke and then live off his name like Tyson. Very few boxers possess the acumen to save their money and invest. Lennox Lewis is a notable example.
    u would be very foolish to believe everything 50 says
    talks bullsh1t most of the time

Advertisement