Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

I'm packing my hospital bag(s) at the mo.

My little suitcase if already full without everything being in it. Gona have to use a bigger one but seriously, the amount of stuff to fit in is unreal...I'd bring less if I was going on my holidays for 2 weeks.

My OH has learned the hard way not to say anything to me when I'm very hormonal! Sometimes I feel bad but mostly I think that he would be like a bear with a sore head if he was pregnant so I'm really not that bad in comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Tigerton is the "little" suitcase just your bag for the l and d?
    I don't feel bad in the slighest for the hormonal moments, in all fairness we have to put up with them when they have man flu. There's a reason men can't get preggers and there's no way in hades they'd survive the pregnancy. We'd have them killed! As much as we think we complain we don't really. As much as we love them could ya really imagine having to listen to them for 40 weeks. Don't get me wrong i'm in way man bashing and i don't mean to sound like i am, it's just not something i can imagine. Lol

I'm in NO way man bashing*
    Sorry that was a typo and i can't edit it on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Thumby wrote: »
    I'm in NO way man bashing*
    Sorry that was a typo and i can't edit it on my phone.

Haha suuurrrreee ;)

*gasp* rach i'm soooo offended now :'(

• Advertisement

*gasp* rach i'm soooo offended now :'(
    Must be all those pesky hormones again! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

haha:)
    I finally got mine to empty the bottom drawer on the dishwasher,been at him since he was back to empty and fill it for me.
    This is progress!

Yup yup :-D either that or it's because k stole my chocolate earlier, the little madam.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

Yep the little suitcase is now my labour bag and a bigger one is my hospital bag. And iv extra stuff that I may or may not need that he can just bring me in if I need it. Feel like I'm moving house packing up all that stuff :D

Haha yeah I don't want to sound like I'm man bashing either but I think the human population would be a lot smaller if men had to have babies. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My labour bag is a large handbag,my overnight bag for the hospital is a small suitcase! but I left stuff out in case it is needed too.

• Advertisement

Woo moonbeam progress indeed. Ya never he might eventually do the entire dishwasher :-D it is the season of miracles after all.
    I'm gone the same with my bags for hospital as well. I've an overnight suitcase that literally has mine and the beans stuff for labour and delivery and like ye even at that not everything is fitting into it. I'm half afraid to get started on my ward bag! I'm thinking of leaving it until they decide on my section or not, i couldn't be bothered repacking it tbh. I've an emergency bag packed as well if anything happens in the interm so i don't mind too much about my big bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I can't read any posts as boards has gone all funny on my iPhone again :( I had another Physio appoint today and as I've improved slightly she did a massage on my lower back to try relieve the pains.. Thankfully I don't have an knots just tightened up! Think it may have helped a little but then I have been sitting on my bum all day :) back in a week to get another massage and go from there!
    Rach I asked her about the tennis ball and she said to go for it :) so I'm gonna get one tomorrow and get himself to roll it an see if it loosens things up! The pain in my pubic bone has gotten a lot worse but then I'd rather that then the back pain!

5 weeks to go today :) not too long! Hope everyone is well!

I have a small duffel bag for labour ward, and that little red EU mums bag for the dads bag (put some snacks in there for him and some sneaky cereal bars for myself in there!) I have a small wheely suitcase for the maternity ward and will have another small bag set aside in the house with bits and bobs for me incase i need them! Will be keeping extra nappies and wipes and odds and ends in a carrier bag in the boot. I feel like I'm packing for a month- I'm usually a very light packer, but i have no clue what to expect and never stayed over in the hospital before so i just want to have a lot of "in cases" Also my OH, while i love him, is not known for his observational skills....really need to have everything that i might need laid out because he won't have a clue when he is home alone poking around the wardrobe trying to figure out what i need. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(also the reason why ive made him sort out the baby's dresser and wardrobe cause i know i can find things a lot easier than him and if he already knows where it is my life is sooo much easier that way lol! )

Tigeress wrote: »
    I can't read any posts as boards has gone all funny on my iPhone again :( I had another Physio appoint today and as I've improved slightly she did a massage on my lower back to try relieve the pains.. Thankfully I don't have an knots just tightened up! Think it may have helped a little but then I have been sitting on my bum all day :) back in a week to get another massage and go from there!
    Rach I asked her about the tennis ball and she said to go for it :) so I'm gonna get one tomorrow and get himself to roll it an see if it loosens things up! The pain in my pubic bone has gotten a lot worse but then I'd rather that then the back pain!

5 weeks to go today :) not too long! Hope everyone is well!

oh good!! I hope that it helps....i didnt think it would, but its springy enough to apply good pressure and not hurt as bad as an elbow pressing in your back hurts! Just forget any advice of laying on the ground and rolling over it...don't know about yourself but if was to get down there and try and roll my injured back over a tennis ball I would be stuck down there! (probably awkwardly lying on top of the tennis ball unable to move haha!!)

Ah here who suggested ya get on the floor and roll around on the tennis ball yourself? Seriously? Not their brightest moment for them i'm guessing.
    Delighted ya got on so well at physio. Finally some relief for ya.
    One a side note jam and cream donuts/buns nom nom nom nom nom :-D

my physio therapist was telling me to try that....I was thinking there is no way I could get down there and back up again! Not sure if she realized that as she is about 7 stone sopping wet with a backpack of rocks on! :P

She's obviously never been heavily pregnant either rach. Lol

She's obviously never been heavily pregnant either rach. Lol

haha that too!

Damn skinny non pregnant women! They annoy me now. At least you've only got a few weeks left. Hopefully sooner, any sign of the hospital inducing you sooner?

Damn skinny non pregnant women! They annoy me now. At least you've only got a few weeks left. Hopefully sooner, any sign of the hospital inducing you sooner?

nope- he was pretty cut and dry about it yesterday. Said that there might be a chance after the 17th (im due the 15th) but that they would most likely just give me a sweep that day. But that if I last long enough they would definitely bring me in the 25th! :mad::mad: I'm upset about it since its 1. CHRISTMAS and 2. my mom gets in on the 27th and i really really want to be home before she gets here and that won't happen if I'm not induced until then since I have the strep b. :(

So here's to hoping this baby wants to come out sooner than later! (although he seems a little too comfortable for my liking...heads not even engaged yet!)

• Advertisement

Rachineire wrote: »
    nope- he was pretty cut and dry about it yesterday. Said that there might be a chance after the 17th (im due the 15th) but that they would most likely just give me a sweep that day. But that if I last long enough they would definitely bring me in the 25th! :mad::mad: I'm upset about it since its 1. CHRISTMAS and 2. my mom gets in on the 27th and i really really want to be home before she gets here and that won't happen if I'm not induced until then since I have the strep b. :(

So here's to hoping this baby wants to come out sooner than later! (although he seems a little too comfortable for my liking...heads not even engaged yet!)

Christmas day???? Is your consultant absolutely bonkers? One it's not just extrememly inconvient to you but it means you can't make any plans for xmas and 2 that would be so unfair on the child. I know someone who was born on new years day and it drives her insane every year, but how do you explain to a little kid that they have to share their bday with the biggest holiday of the year? I'd be doing everything and anything i could think of short of bursting my waters with a knittin needle to start labour sooner. The thoughts of being induced on xmas day would kill me.

Christmas day???? Is your consultant absolutely bonkers? One it's not just extrememly inconvient to you but it means you can't make any plans for xmas and 2 that would be so unfair on the child. I know someone who was born on new years day and it drives her insane every year, but how do you explain to a little kid that they have to share their bday with the biggest holiday of the year? I'd be doing everything and anything i could think of short of bursting my waters with a knittin needle to start labour sooner. The thoughts of being induced on xmas day would kill me.

yeah im not terribly happy about it, but i am just really really hoping i go soon! I mean, theres not too much i can do besides try and make myself go earlier naturally. I said that to him about it being christmas and how i would really like to be home/baby not share that birthday and he just shrugged his shoulders and said the only thing that matters is that baby comes out safely. I mean, i completely agree and i appreciate that, but COME ON! grr.

Rachineire wrote: »
    yeah im not terribly happy about it, but i am just really really hoping i go soon! I mean, theres not too much i can do besides try and make myself go earlier naturally. I said that to him about it being christmas and how i would really like to be home/baby not share that birthday and he just shrugged his shoulders and said the only thing that matters is that baby comes out safely. I mean, i completely agree and i appreciate that, but COME ON! grr.

Well if he's not the head of the team just a normal consultant i'd be waiting to speak to the head consultant the next time you have an app in the hospital if i was you. Explain everything and make sure to repeatedly remind them that you are due the 15th so you just can't understand them wanting to induce you on xmas day which will have you ten days over instead of bang on the week over. At that stage everything is well developed and there's no medical reason for them to hold on. Cry bucket loads if you have to as well, it seems that the consultant has the impression that it's just inconvienent for you as if it was any other day of the year. But in all fairness it's xmas and you have family coming home for the holidays as well and you dont' need that pressure on you literally hours after giving birth. Think of the biggest sob story you can and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Rach I'm with Thumby! Def think you should ask to speak with the head consultant, usually they try not to bring people in over Xmas! I was due Xmas Day last year and they booked me in for induction on 27th cause baby was huge! Hopefully they'll bring you in sooner

Thanks Ladies...i think my problem is lack of tears! If im still hanging around by the 17th (lets hope not!!) I will be crying big fat tears for sure! I'm going with the angle that I have no family here and my OH doesnt drive as well...and also that he works long hours and I can't get in touch with him directly while he is working. Hoping that someone will have a little sympathy for me!

Shouldn't be too hard for me to cry though...I read a story this evening about a homeless guy in Dublin, some scummer threw his pet bunny in the Liffey for no good reason and the bunny drowned even though the homeless guy went in after it and gave it CPR. I was sitting in the car bawling when my OH got out of work!! I really dont understand people i swear! (also maybe i should lay off sad news until my hormones balance themselves out!)

I just read about that (thread over in AH) it's beyond disgraceful. How anybody could be so cruel and spiteful i just know. My heart was breaking for the poor man. Adam my 8 year old asked me what was wrong cause i was tearing up. I couldn't bring myself to tell him either cause he's such an innocent it would have had him sad for the rest of the night.
    You def need to push for inducement pre xmas day. Is there anyway your gp will get on side and give ya letter or something to help? Get him to say the emotional stress/pressure is too much on you or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Rach - fingers crossed it all works out - hopefully you'll just go naturally a bit early.

I'd been avoiding the bunny story, anything about animal cruelty upsets me so much, even when I'm not pregnant. It's one thing that is beyond my comprehension, people being cruel to animals.

Had our appointment last night, me and baby both doing well! We were really impressed with the hosp and the midwife. I was asked loads of questions about my weight loss but as the sickness has lifted (but not disappeared) she said it should be ok from now on so I feel a lot more reassured now I've got to talk to someone about it. Got to hear the heartbeat and see a little scan - baby looks like a little person now :) So all is well and don't have to go back to the hosp until February now. Also, we told loads of friends last night so it's all very exciting!

Awww that's brilliant murdy. I'm delighted you got some answers and reassurance about the weight loss and that they are keeping an eye on it too. It's brilliant ya got to see your little bean. It makes it that bit more real when they start to look like mini peoples doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Awww that's brilliant murdy. I'm delighted you got some answers and reassurance about the weight loss and that they are keeping an eye on it too. It's brilliant ya got to see your little bean. It makes it that bit more real when they start to look like mini peoples doesn't it?

Definitely - there is a human being growing inside us all. Isn't that mad?! It's just hit me :)

• Advertisement

That feeling of it hitting ya is almost as much of a shock as finding out you're pregnant in the first place isn't it?

Advertisement