Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit where Credit is due

• 17-11-2012 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

With a lot of talk of the tough times in Waterford I would like to respectfully suggest a thread that gives credit or acknowledges good service received. Hopefully an outsider coming to town will support also, or a local may give the business a go.

To kick off; I had to get a car and a box trailer valeted in a hurry as a potential buyer coming to see both tomorrow (courtesy of Donedeal). A friend recommended Bright Valeting down in the Waterside where H and H motors used to be. It was an awkward job and I was not booked in but a very nice lady who runs the place said she would have the job done by this evening. After a haggle I got a fair price and she even waited until six for me to collect as I was late

Fair play Madam and thanks. The car is fantastic after it. I wont leave anyone in it as its so clean!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

Great idea for a thread,I was thinking of selling the car and will get it valeted here if I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Great idea for a thread, and I hope people will use it respectfully and in the spirit intended and not to shill or badmouth a competitor!

The only nice incident I can remember off the top of my head was with the girls in Swamp in John Roberts Square, I was in town late one Friday night a few weeks ago, saw they had a sale on, popped in to see if I could pick something up for the gf, a jacket in particular. Long story short, the girls were lovely, one of them even tried it on so I could get an idea of size. Brought it home, turned out it was the wrong size, I called them up, (this was literally 10 mins before they were due to close) told them I needed a different size in a hurry, they told me to come in, I got there a with a minute to spare and they changed it for me, no hassle and there was no rushing me out of the shop. I expected a bit of impatience from them but they were lovely, nice one girls! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

imagine... a business offering good customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

imagine... a business offering good customer service

it can be hard to find actually , they never heard of it before down under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I have to say Tom Murphy's lately seemed to have realised the error of their ways when it comes to customer service and costings.

I had my car recently serviced there and along with a fuel filter and diagnostics check for 100 euro, I was dropped home while i waited and picked up again to collect my car and they seemed very friendly.

I then had to go back to have my break light sensor replaced job took about 1 hour, (at least the wait was) the job was done including parts and labour for 35 euro, which is a great price. So i cant argue with that I had had bad experiences there before but they seem to be trying harder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭strangepaddy

I have to say Tom Murphy's lately seemed to have realised the error of their ways when it comes to customer service and costings.

I had my car recently serviced there and along with a fuel filter and diagnostics check for 100 euro, I was dropped home while i waited and picked up again to collect my car and they seemed very friendly.

I then had to go back to have my break light sensor replaced job took about 1 hour, (at least the wait was) the job was done including parts and labour for 35 euro, which is a great price. So i cant argue with that I had had bad experiences there before but they seem to be trying harder!

totally agree with ya there i was the same as ya with the free lift home while the car was gettin serviced........got a bulb replaced on a merc right then and there one evening too when they were clearly busy and almost closing time for only for 7 quid.....in the past you'd nearly expect 45 to do that little job. very friendly woman there too named elaine who helped me. all in all much better service the past few months. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Credit where due.....

The city centre is looking great with Winterval stuff. also,
    The removal of that old 50s style building on quay near reg is fantastic, really opens up view of the historical tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Max Powers wrote: »
    Credit where due.....

The city centre is looking great with Winterval stuff. also,
    The removal of that old 50s style building on quay near reg is fantastic, really opens up view of the historical tower.

They should have removed the grotty old tower so the majestic beauty of that 50s style building could shine through as a beacon for our city :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Saw they knocked the building beside Reginald tower, about time, place will look alot better when finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

you mean the manky 3 story 60s eyesore here

waterfrd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Steal a child and bring them to Santas grotto through the Theatre Royal, had a sneak preview yesterday, absolutely fantastic, never saw anything as good anywhere!!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

C'mon now all, let's keep atleast one thread on here on topic for a change, any more negative comments will be removed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Great to see this thread. Lost my phone last week, every number I had from the last few of years was in it. I didn't panic at the time, because I thought it was time for a change, but I was always a bit sceptical about answering "unknown" numbers (old habits). Never realised how much I depended on the information on the phone until a couple of days later. Thank God, I received a text a couple of days later (on my new phone btw/same number) from an absolute gentleman saying that he found my phone. He went out of his way to get the phone back to me. Good Karma :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 junglejim1

The Granville.

Went there for lunch a couple of times at the end of October.
    A superbly run establishment, the owner(I think Liam is the owner), senior management and numerous other staff working their bits off clearing, serving and cleaning tables, generally keeping the customers happy.
    Well done and good luck to them.
    There is nowhere in London that can hold a candle to that place.

BTW, I hadn't been in Waterford for a couple of years. I thought the city had really improved over that time. I didn't get the impression it was feeling sorry for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

junglejim1 wrote: »
    The Granville.

Went there for lunch a couple of times at the end of October.
    A superbly run establishment, the owner(I think Liam is the owner), senior management and numerous other staff working their bits off clearing, serving and cleaning tables, generally keeping the customers happy.
    Well done and good luck to them.
    There is nowhere in London that can hold a candle to that place.

BTW, I hadn't been in Waterford for a couple of years. I thought the city had really improved over that time. I didn't get the impression it was feeling sorry for itself.
    You might be glad to hear they were recently upgraded to a 4 star hotel, and they won the Georgina Campbell Hotel of the Year Award.
    http://www.granville-hotel.ie
    http://www.ireland-guide.com/award/hotel-of-the-year-2013.2164.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

The Tower Hotel

Some friends of mine visiting from the UK stayed in The Tower for the weekend and were delighted with the service they received.

Specifically - - When they were checking in, they mentioned that they were returning customers who come to Waterford most years for at least one weekend and always stay in The Tower. The receptionist thanked them for their loyal custom and gave them a free late check-out until 5pm Sunday evening.

Only a small gesture on the hotels part, but it was really appreciated by my friends and guaranteed that they would stay in the hotel when they return again.

So credit where credit is due......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I have to give credit to the staff at the city library. Had bought a new pair of glasses, collected them today and didn't even realise they were missing when I got a call saying they had been found and if I was nearby to collect them. Not only had they worked out they were mine and called, but were also happy to stay behind after closing while I made my way back up to collect them. Very grateful, saved a lot of embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

yeah the library is being run very well, they have a free play group that my wife and daughter use. They are very nice and helpful there.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

I have the distinct feeling that there are or will be people praising their own place of work or am I just being naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

wellboy76 wrote: »
    I have the distinct feeling that there are or will be people praising their own place of work or am I just being naive?

Should be easily spotted. Some people are useless at self promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

There are 2 women who work in superquinn, usually one on the till and ther packs...

They are perfect example of quality customer service. They are both lovely and jolly and are genuinely interested in everything you say..

For them alone I shop in superquinn!!!

Credit where credit is due... both Tramore and Waterford City have today been named amongst Ireland's Tidiest Towns/Cities by 'Irish Businesses Against Litter'. They were deemed 'Cleaner than European Norms'. Can't link to it on my phone, but the article I saw is on thejournal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Was it not as clean as european norms? thought thats what i heard on the radio today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I heard cleaner than european norms on 2 national radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Bluezar

I was home at the weekend, got a taxi from Norrises Thurs night a little worse for the wear. Woke up friday minus my Iphone. Called Rapid Cabs Friday afternoon and told it was a lad called Eamonn in cab 49 who drove me. I asked for him specifically Fri night, he collected me and gave me my phone back.
    What a great guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

There are 2 women who work in superquinn, usually one on the till and ther packs...

They are perfect example of quality customer service. They are both lovely and jolly and are genuinely interested in everything you say..

For them alone I shop in superquinn!!!

I used to work in the retail sector years ago. I could never stress enough how it was paramount to have a perfect demeanour towards customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Last December was in the main Post Office on the quay, and was served by a lovely girl, she went that extra mile to give me as much info as possible, even though I was up to speed anyway, and she was chatty without being nosey.

Felt great after that and hope I made her day a little bit jollier in some way.

Now that's shopping as it should be:)

Was it not as clean as european norms? thought thats what i heard on the radio today

No, cleaner!

http://www.thejournal.ie/ibal-litter-league-standings-2012-744379-Jan2013/
    Cleaner than European Norms
    Kilkenny
    Cavan
    Killarney
    Ballina
    Castlebar
    Trim
    Longford
    Buncrana
    Fermoy
    Clonmel
    Dun Laoghaire
    Tramore
    Wexford
    Drogheda
    Galway City
    Youghal
    Swords
    Tullamore
    Bray
    Waterford City
    Naas
    Cobh

This thread has gone awful quiet, hasn't it?! :p

Was in town yesterday, was buying my gf a present as she just had our second baby and spotted something nice in the window of Wallis, in City Square, also saw they had the support local businesses posters etc on the door. Went in, the lady behind the counter couldn't have been friendlier. Helped me find the item in the shop, helped me pick out a scarf to go with it, chatted away to my toddler and we had a great chat about kids. So friendly, the first thing I thought of was this thread. So credit to Wallis and it's lovely staff. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Jason Todd wrote: »
    This thread has gone awful quiet, hasn't it?! :p

Was in town yesterday, was buying my gf a present as she just had our second baby and spotted something nice in the window of Wallis, in City Square, also saw they had the support local businesses posters etc on the door. Went in, the lady behind the counter couldn't have been friendlier. Helped me find the item in the shop, helped me pick out a scarf to go with it, chatted away to my toddler and we had a great chat about kids. So friendly, the first thing I thought of was this thread. So credit to Wallis and it's lovely staff. :)

Was in No.9 Restaurant recently. Some of the friendliest people i've ever been served by. And great food!:)

Advertisement