Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit where Credit is due

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Something I noticed lately. I don’t know if it has been cleaned up or something but Beach Tower on Jenkins Lane looks fantastic at night. The way it is floodlit it just looks great when you walk through the arch from Georges St. Fair play to the city council on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

Have to add my compliments for the Williamstown Dental Clinic. Hadn't been to the practice in a couple of years (mix of laziness and dread on my behalf) but went for a check-up yesterday and was really happy with the service.

Very nice people, no slap on the wrist for the long absence and great availability in the evening after work (my appointment was for 6pm). So nice not to have to take time off work to do something I really didn't want to do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Fair play to the local lad who appeared on ellen and on stage at adele concert,adele music wouldn't be my bag but they are impressive all the same and obviously put the work in to sound so well and its always good to see people getting some sort of credit for their work.
    Don't know which chap is from Waterford, piano man or singer, they both deserve credit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

Max Powers wrote: »
    Fair play to the local lad who appeared on ellen and on stage at adele concert,adele music wouldn't be my bag but they are impressive all the same and obviously put the work in to sound so well and its always good to see people getting some sort of credit for their work.
    Don't know which chap is from Waterford, piano man or singer, they both deserve credit anyway.

The singer is from Waterford - Glenn Murphy. He has a professional FB page Glenn Murphy - Tenor if you want to see more of his stuff. He's a lovely guy and incredibly talented so I hope this brings bigger and better things for him :)

I see craig Breen won Irish rally event again.I don't feel he gets the credit he deserves in national media, anyway fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Congrats to the Ladies football team who beat Tipperary today by a single point scored from a free - the last kick of the game! :D

Hopefully it is a portent of something to come for our hurlers who play immediately after the ladies in Thurles.

Great credit is due to the Waterford senior hurling team for a substantial win over Clare today.

I admire the commitment of each of the panel members.

Deise Abú!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

See link below to The Plan Awards 2016 which is a European Architecture Award. Waterford Firestation has won its category against some stiff competition. Well done to all involved.. We are well chuffed with the award.

http://theplan.it/contest/shortlist/19?tipo=realizzata

Must say its an interesting design, will likely date badly but it looks the business right now and they certainly have tonnes of space to work with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Did they finally get a pole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Plunkett Station and the approach road from Sallypark really brightened up with

all the hanging baskets and containers of flowers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Plunkett Station and the approach road from Sallypark really brightened up with

all the hanging baskets and containers of flowers.

Meant to put that in here earlier in the week. Looks really great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

They overdid it. Looks very tacky imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

longshanks wrote: »

Come on. The train station is a horrible looking thing. Putting some flower baskets around it helps...putting two flower baskets every 5 feet just looks ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

longshanks wrote: »

Do nothing and let the place become an eyesore people will complain,do something to brighten the place up people will complain,its the Waterford way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Do nothing and let the place become an eyesore people will complain,do something to brighten the place up people will complain,its the Waterford way

That is another, longer way of saying, damned if you do, damned if you don't alright :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I wish people would stop this,99.9% of Waterford people I'm sure think the flowers look well/happy to see improvements, its not a Waterford thing to complain but a mindless Irish one to whinge even when its a positive.just ask Joe duffy who has made his whine fest program a career
    My own view having passed train station, looks well, the council have put loads of flower boxes in loads of places and certainly brightens up numerous streets.a good tip for anyone who knows any of these whiners, just walk away before they drag you into the misery that they like to wallow in.

lol, you're not allowed have an opinion anymore without being called a whinger.

lol, you're not allowed have an opinion anymore without being called a whinger.

Maybe if you were diarmuid gavin or gave a decent reason we would say, maybe he's right, apart from that it just reads like whinging for the sake of whinging.

So you have to be qualified before you can express an opinion from now on? Got it.

By the way, let's call a spade a spade so to speak...if you think this abomination actually looks good, you've got seriously questionable taste. Methinks you're all just impressed that someone bothered to make any kind of effort. "KILL IT WITH FLOWERS!" Mission accomplished.

• Advertisement

So you have to be qualified before you can express an opinion from now on? Got it.

By the way, let's call a spade a spade so to speak...if you think this abomination actually looks good, you've got seriously questionable taste. Methinks you're all just impressed that someone bothered to make any kind of effort. "KILL IT WITH FLOWERS!" Mission accomplished.

None of us are experts just nearly all bar yourself don't complain about flowers.I think you know yourself, your whine was totally silly and you are trying to defend it now.

None of us are experts just nearly all bar yourself don't complain about flowers.I think you know yourself, your whine was totally silly and you are trying to defend it now.

Haha I'm not trying to defend anything. I think it looks tacky and I stand by that!

We have to differentiate between begrudging and valid opinions. I may not have been born in Waterford but I love the city and I love giving credit where it's due (or not)

Haha I'm not trying to defend anything. I think it looks tacky and I stand by that!

We have to differentiate between begrudging and valid opinions. I may not have been born in Waterford but I love the city and I love giving credit where it's due (or not)

Calling some flowers tacky, ridiculous and an abomination as you have doesn't strike me as one bit valid, at the end of the day complaining about some flowers just seems like a totally unnecessary and frankly silly whinge.

Credit to the Waterford (and indeed KK and Wex) section/people of the Three sisters bid, they put a lot of effort in, out at weekends, nights, down daytripper etc etc pushing and promoting. A lot of committment. fingers crossed for tomorrow.I know that they arent getting paid for all their time and a lot of volunteering goes into something like this. Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Credit to the Waterford (and indeed KK and Wex) section/people of the Three sisters bid, they put a lot of effort in, out at weekends, nights, down daytripper etc etc pushing and promoting. A lot of committment. fingers crossed for tomorrow.I know that they arent getting paid for all their time and a lot of volunteering goes into something like this. Fair play

Galway just announced as the winner. Very disappointing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

iseegirls wrote: »
    Galway just announced as the winner. Very disappointing :(

No surprise really they went with the safe option. Disappointing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

One I heard in last few days.... wasnt sure where to post it but here is good.. credit to Waterford...

I heard that right now Waterford has more people employed than at any other time....... (now I cant back it up) but if so that is great ....

On the ORR the couse roundabout maintained/sponsored by Richard Upton landscaping is a credit to them, its like centre court in Wimbledon with trees,I always admire it when passing every day.fair play

(No connection to company but if you are doing a new lawn, he'd be a good person to talk to i guess).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

On the ORR the couse roundabout maintained/sponsored by Richard Upton landscaping is a credit to them, its like centre court in Wimbledon with trees,I always admire it when passing every day.fair play

(No connection to company but if you are doing a new lawn, he'd be a good person to talk to i guess).

I've said the same myself! The grass is so green, never any weeds on it and the stripes effect is nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

robtri wrote: »
    One I heard in last few days.... wasnt sure where to post it but here is good.. credit to Waterford...

I heard that right now Waterford has more people employed than at any other time....... (now I cant back it up) but if so that is great ....

Funny you should say that. I was looking at the Munster Express over the weekend and there was three and a bit pages of job advertisements. Can’t remember the last time I saw so many jobs being advertised in the Munster Express. Great to see it.

I must express my greatest admiration for the senior Waterford hurling panel for the great game today and the drawn game last week.

Those were the two best games of hurling I have seen from the Waterford team.

So great credit to the players and the management.
    They made me proud to be from Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Well said

debok wrote: »
    Well said

Yes, Derek and the lads, keep it going and positive stuff will happen.

P.S.not even gaa fan but can appreciate effort from mgt and players.proud Waterford man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I must express my greatest admiration for the senior Waterford hurling panel for the great game today and the drawn game last week.

+1

Pretty much what I intended to post on this thread. Very disappointed getting home last night at midnight and getting up this morning knowing our season was over, but I've so much pride in our wonderful young hurlers who almost did it against the "Empire" of hurling. Our year will come, no doubt about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I've done a lot of giving out this year about the negative style of play, the dour brand of hurling, but the last two games have been some of the best I can remember from a Waterford team, probably the best in fact.

Very proud of the team and I hope they go on from this and it drives them to improve and do better next year.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

My take on this is a little different.

Has this year really been a success for Waterford?

Couldn't get over the line in a league final and lost a replay.

Got annihilated in a Munster Final.

Failed to put Kilkenny away in the first game before losing a replay. All Ireland winning teams don't miss the chances Waterford missed to go 4 points up with 5 minutes to go, in the first game. It's not unlucky, it was lack of composure.

The mayor of Waterford wants to give the Waterford team a civic reception for losing an All Ireland Semi Final. That's laughable. Accepting and celebrating failure. There's a reason why Liam McCarthy hasn't been in Waterford in a long long time.

My take on this is a little different.

Has this year really been a success for Waterford?

Couldn't get over the line in a league final and lost a replay.

Got annihilated in a Munster Final.

Failed to put Kilkenny away in the first game before losing a replay. All Ireland winning teams don't miss the chances Waterford missed to go 4 points up with 5 minutes to go, in the first game. It's not unlucky, it was lack of composure.

The mayor of Waterford wants to give the Waterford team a civic reception for losing an All Ireland Semi Final. That's laughable. Accepting and celebrating failure. There's a reason why Liam McCarthy hasn't been in Waterford in a long long time.
    Thankfully not everyone's appreciation is dependent on results. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I see the Marina Hotel has applied for planning permission for an additional two floors. That's a big vote of confidence in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

He's right though! Celebrating mediocrity again in this city.

thomasm wrote: »
    I see the Marina Hotel has applied for planning permission for an additional two floors. That's a big vote of confidence in the city.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

The Hurlers don't get paid. They put in huge effort for very little return.

Their efforts should be recognised, not just the Waterford Hurlers and not just the all Ireland champs but all intercounty Hurlers.

What a silly comment from a consistent source of them,I would love to know what field you excelled in, however civic reception when we didn't win any gaa trophy ain't gonna be welcomed by anyone involved.fair enough if u21 lads manage it.

While on the sports, congrats to Thomas Barr for reaching the Olympic final by winning his heat in great style. :D
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2016/0817/809839-thomas-barr/

Congrats to the U21 hurlers for a fantastic win against Galway today, and to all concerned with the team.

What a great bunch of lads!

Congrats to the organisers of Harvest. They packed a hell of a lot into that programme and the city looked great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Congrats to the organisers of Harvest. They packed a hell of a lot into that programme and the city looked great.

Yep. They have taken some stick in recent years, but really enjoyed it in there today, loads going on.

Also the homecoming down in the park for the under 21s was really well done. A great weekend overall for the deise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

How many blaas did the winner of the blaa eating competition eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Yep. They have taken some stick in recent years, but really enjoyed it in there today, loads going on.

Also the homecoming down in the park for the under 21s was really well done. A great weekend overall for the deise

New organisers this year

• Advertisement
Advertisement