Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit where Credit is due

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Was in the city centre this morning for the start of the Solas Centre Run for Life.
    Massive credit to all in involved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

Credit where credit is due, indeed. I've lived in Waterford for 16 years. I moved here from Manchester at the tender age of 15. I never looked back. The people are friendly and would give you the shirt of their back if you needed it. Sure, it has it's problems, but where doesn't? I have been given so many chances here in regards work. I've met some of the best friends I will ever have and despite the fact that I'm English, I have never had so much as an ill word. I get slagged of course and I give it right back. I love Waterford; it's my home, my heart.

A tad heavy on the pound shops and betting shops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Fun for life was great in the park today. Kids had a ball, loads to do and great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jason Todd wrote: »
    This thread has gone awful quiet, hasn't it?! :p

Was in town yesterday, was buying my gf a present as she just had our second baby and spotted something nice in the window of Wallis, in City Square, also saw they had the support local businesses posters etc on the door. Went in, the lady behind the counter couldn't have been friendlier. Helped me find the item in the shop, helped me pick out a scarf to go with it, chatted away to my toddler and we had a great chat about kids. So friendly, the first thing I thought of was this thread. So credit to Wallis and it's lovely staff. :)

Nice one JT, great to hear that stuff about customer service. congrats on no2. You are a brave man buying clothes for a woman.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have to hand it to the chap in Suits You, I think its called, around the corner from Fitzgerald Menswear. The mother was in recently buying some bits and she went in twice or so, found the chap very helpful, sorted her out with some extra bits and was all around very helpful and accommodating. Great customer service and great products, bought in there myself in the past.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was walking into town today from Cherrymount, along the road through Johnstown I became aware of how tidy and clean it was - spotted the council worker who was doing a sterling job with his picker-upper and sack as I reached Waterside.

/doffs hat.

This could go into Reasons to be positive too under 'restoring faith in people'. Its a great read, check it out in Munster express.

I read in this weeks Munster express that an Italian, yes Italian, Trad band (Lá Nua)were coming over here a couple weeks back to play a couple of gigs in some sort of trad thing going on in Waterford. They had all their instruments stolen in Dublin and money. They were absolutely gutted as playing trad in what the Italian lad calls the land of trad (Ireland) was a big-deal for them. Anyway, they phoned the Waterford organiser thinking they are screwed, organiser got them down to Waterford, put out an appeal on radio and all sorts of Waterford people replied including John Palmer music shop in Waterford, Torann and lots more. They were set up with instruments (better than their ones the Italian admitted) and sorted out basically, they played their gigs and the lead singer goes on about how grateful he is to people of Waterford and delighted at how the gigs went.

Credit where credit is due to Ben Delaney for organising that, the people who helped lads out with instruments and all involved. amazing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Great story Max, thanks for sharing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joni1

Max Powers wrote: »
    This could go into Reasons to be positive too under 'restoring faith in people'. Its a great read, check it out in Munster express.

I read in this weeks Munster express that an Italian, yes Italian, Trad band (Lá Nua)were coming over here a couple weeks back to play a couple of gigs in some sort of trad thing going on in Waterford. They had all their instruments stolen in Dublin and money. They were absolutely gutted as playing trad in what the Italian lad calls the land of trad (Ireland) was a big-deal for them. Anyway, they phoned the Waterford organiser thinking they are screwed, organiser got them down to Waterford, put out an appeal on radio and all sorts of Waterford people replied including John Palmer music shop in Waterford, Torann and lots more. They were set up with instruments (better than their ones the Italian admitted) and sorted out basically, they played their gigs and the lead singer goes on about how grateful he is to people of Waterford and delighted at how the gigs went.

Credit where credit is due to Ben Delaney for organising that, the people who helped lads out with instruments and all involved. amazing stuff.

Just read it, fair play to all who helped out. Great ad for the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Nature Park is a great credit to the people of Waterford, I spend a few hours a week there just strolling along, varying my routes back to front and enjoying the relative peace (especially between Points 12 and 14 ha ha). Its a shame that it doesnt seem to be as popular as expected though. Im basing that on being down there in the mornings and evenings and the busiest I have seen it is Saturday afternoon with runners and dog walkers. From Monday to Friday afternoons is very quiet. Last week I did the whole lap without passing a single person!

I hope more people can see the benefit of such a place in our lovely city. In another few years when the trees get bigger and some flowers are growing it will look even nicer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The Nature Park is a great credit to the people of Waterford, I spend a few hours a week there just strolling along, varying my routes back to front and enjoying the relative peace (especially between Points 12 and 14 ha ha). Its a shame that it doesnt seem to be as popular as expected though. Im basing that on being down there in the mornings and evenings and the busiest I have seen it is Saturday afternoon with runners and dog walkers. From Monday to Friday afternoons is very quiet. Last week I did the whole lap without passing a single person!

I hope more people can see the benefit of such a place in our lovely city. In another few years when the trees get bigger and some flowers are growing it will look even nicer. :)

Agreed. Absolutely brilliant spot and a job well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I never think about using it - I'm 10 minutes walk away and can see it from the front garden :o I reckon it'll catch on more when its grown and matured a bit. Does look a bit bleak at a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

mike65 wrote: »
    I never think about using it - I'm 10 minutes walk away and can see it from the front garden :o I reckon it'll catch on more when its grown and matured a bit. Does look a bit bleak at a distance

Go and do it. It's an eye opener and the views of the city are spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

wheres the begrudgery at ?i

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I dont think metalman brewing get enough credit for some of the quality brews they produce. Their delicious Smokescreen got a nice write up on Beermack. Maybe the Dubs appreciate what we've got on our doorstep more than we do!

http://beermack.wordpress.com/

I find locally they are really under the radar, i've had bar staff not have a clue what im looking for if I ask for it in a pub that doesnt stock it and as for when im in a round with a gang of Heiniken drinkers........ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Lol I think every thread on this forum is now about craft beer.

Lol I think every thread on this forum is now about craft beer.

All postive threads :D

I dont think metalman brewing get enough credit for some of the quality brews they produce. Their delicious Smokescreen got a nice write up on Beermack. Maybe the Dubs appreciate what we've got on our doorstep more than we do!

http://beermack.wordpress.com/

I find locally they are really under the radar, i've had bar staff not have a clue what im looking for if I ask for it in a pub that doesnt stock it and as for when im in a round with a gang of Heiniken drinkers........ :D

Jerry, where is smokescreen available? this weekend defo gonna get in for one of those.
    Some sort of boards campaign insisting the major pubs in town start serving metalman is needed. (im not in anyway connected to the metalman brewery or the people working there, just love it)

Max Powers wrote: »
    Jerry, where is smokescreen available? this weekend defo gonna get in for one of those.
    Some sort of boards campaign insisting the major pubs in town start serving metalman is needed. (im not in anyway connected to the metalman brewery or the people working there, just love it)

Same here, Metalman introduced to me craft beer i suppose. Oscars and Revolution have smokesceen (Cheaper in Oscars ;)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Same here, Metalman introduced to me craft beer i suppose. Oscars and Revolution have smokesceen (Cheaper in Oscars ;)).

Grimes has it too. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

In my local (shall remain nameless) and much to my disgust he opted for Smithwicks pale ale instead of Metalman pale ale.Some people just won't listen.:(

In my local (shall remain nameless) and much to my disgust he opted for Smithwicks pale ale instead of Metalman pale ale.Some people just won't listen.:(

They listened alright
    To Diageo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Can we divert some of this to a craft beer in Waterford thread perhaps? I was hoping to comment on this but didn't want to take this thread any more off topic.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Can we divert some of this to a craft beer in Waterford thread perhaps? I was hoping to comment on this but didn't want to take this thread any more off topic.

Yes be good to have it all in the one place.

I just posted the link above to give Metalman Brewing credit where credit is due :)

I think the bakeries involved were Barron’s Bakery, Harney’s Bakery, M&D Bakery and Hickey’s Bakery. Fair play lads.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/eu-gives-special-status-to-a-bread-from-waterford-614670.html

Waterford's local bread, the 'blaa', has been given a special status by the EU.

The European Commission says it is now illegal to use the name 'blaa' to describe any other type of bread.

The special status has been granted to reflect the bread's special homeplace and history.

Other products with similar status include champagne and Timoleague Brown Pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Have had the kids at the dentist in Ferrybank twice in the past couple of weeks. It was my first time at this particular dentist and I'd recommend him to everyone. Very pleasant, great with the kids, very thorough and he didn't charge a fortune for them, half what my usual dentist quoted me.
    I've been with my own dentist for years but I'm going to go to this guy from now on.
    Credit where credit is due!!!

credit to all involved....Winterval looking to be amazing again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

And there seems to be savage progress on a lot of the work up and down the Quay. At this rate of going it might be ready by the time I get home from work! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I wouldnt be giving anybody credit for the mess on that quay, if anything it keeps me out of town, trying to get into town today the traffic on the quay was backed up as far back as the credit union and even further back. Nightmare. why would anybody think cutting traffic that was 2 lanes on both sides down to one lane?

Advertisement