Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Credit where Credit is due

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Congratulations to Thomas Barr on winning gold in the 400m hurdles in the World University Games in Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Council did a really smart looking job on the newly opened chairmans arch, will hopefully bring some more life to cathedral square with more people living in the area. arch is impressive and houses built look really well too. The building on the corner looks real well too. Colour mightnt be to everyones taste but adds colour IMO.
    Obvioulsy, there is a danger the arch could become an anti social area so hopefully the increased flow of people and the gardai will avoid that. from design point of view, the glass awnings over each of the new houses door looks well but hard to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Max Powers wrote: »
    Council did a really smart looking job on the newly opened chairmans arch, will hopefully bring some more life to cathedral square with more people living in the area. arch is impressive and houses built look really well too. The building on the corner looks real well too. Colour mightnt be to everyones taste but adds colour IMO.
    Obvioulsy, there is a danger the arch could become an anti social area so hopefully the increased flow of people and the gardai will avoid that. from design point of view, the glass awnings over each of the new houses door looks well but hard to maintain.

Hopefully a cafe will go into the building on the corner, with some nice outside seating. An Aoife's relaunched would be ideal, Nice work on the area by the City & County Council, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Nice to see some much needed road resurfacing going on. Barrack Street has finally got a makeover, which was in terrible condition outside Spar. Mount Sion Avenue and Bridge Street also got a nice revamp. Lets hope they continue it along the city over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

iseegirls wrote: »
    Nice to see some much needed road resurfacing going on. Barrack Street has finally got a makeover, which was in terrible condition outside Spar. Mount Sion Avenue and Bridge Street also got a nice revamp. Lets hope they continue it along the city over the next few months.

William St, Newtown and the Dunmore Road are in a shocking state, so hopefully they're next, although I'm sure the queue is long! Great to see the work that's already been done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Speaking of roads and I suppose credit is due, the rather needless traffic calming at Cherrymount pedestrian crossing was removed a few weeks ago. That said I'd not be surprised if something else replaced it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Speaking of roads and I suppose credit is due, the rather needless traffic calming at Cherrymount pedestrian crossing was removed a few weeks ago. That said I'd not be surprised if something else replaced it!

Yes "pillows" I believe they were called , gone all over town for some reason, probably because if you aimed the car correctly you didn't have to slow down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Congrats to the intermediate camogie team who did us proud today in Croker, winning the All-Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thank you to the lads working in autofactors for their fantastic service

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Visited the City a few weekends ago. Credit due to everyone involved in attempts to revive and improve the city centre. Some parts of the city core are looking really, really smart - mainly the eastern end to be fair. There was also a bit of life and vitality, with people and families evidently beginning to spend time in the city again. I detect people beginning to feel proud of the city centre. Yes, it has a long way to go, but there have been some important improvements. I hope private investment will follow.

Is there a nicer urban streetscape experience than walking from the Quay up Bailey's New Street, through Cathedral Square and on to Henrietta Street (I checked street names online so I hope these are correct)? It's top top class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

The recent Redevelopment of Chairman's Arch, Cathedral Square, Waterford - undertaken by C.J. Falconer & Associates, with Waterford Council, won a 2015 Irish Council of Social Housing Regeneration Award! This week.

I just took the above from C.J Falconers Facebook, as i know some people who were involved in the above Project.

What's needed is do do something with the top of the town which is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Maybe we should bring in ISIS? They do wonderful work in demolition!

Maybe they're here already :eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Where exactly is the top of the town?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

iseegirls wrote: »
    Where exactly is the top of the town?

Ballybricken would generally be considered "top of the town"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ballybricken would generally be considered "top of the town"

Yep. Mayor's Walk and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Been a while since this thread had a post, so Ill give it a little one today.

The girl working in the Pandora shop in town right now, extremely pleasant and helpful. I explained I was I had a short window and not much of an idea what I was after and she managed to find something for me very quickly that I was thrilled with.

If only all retail/sales staff could be like her!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Guy's in the bedding and furniture section in Harvey Norman great to deal with. Something went wrong with order they spotted it rang me to tell me that they found an issue and would ring back asap 5 minutes later all sorted.

Rather than start a new thread I just thought I'd salute the Coast Guard Rescue team at the airport, in 2010 there were suggestions the service would be ended here (obviously a mad ting to even consider) but the last couple of day have illustrated its importance with airlift of a badly injured girl at Hook Head and the evacuation of an ill man from a Swedish cargo vessel.

Moved to Waterford City in June so a newbie to this thread. As someone living with restricted mobility a little kindness or helpfulness can literally make my day and prevent a whole lot of pain.

Quite a few credits due to people who've been helpful since the big move.. There's a lot to be grateful for here in my adopted city so this is long but will keep future posts short...

A girl in Lidl car park Sunday week ago who picked up the water that fell off my rollator as I was trying to get it into the car - she went out of her way to come over and help, thank you!

A lovely couple who noticed I was blocked out of my car which was parked in a disabled space at Arundel Square by a car that parked between my drivers side and the next space.
    The man managed to get in and reverse my car out so I could safely go on my way, thank you very much ðŸ‘

The evening supervisor at Odeon cinema who is such a helpful guy.

Cormac in Book A Room on Manor Street didn't have an accessible property but found one for me through his contacts, an absolute gent, thank you ðŸ‘

The women working in WSPCA, they're incredibly helpful 😀

A young man (only about 17/18) saw me struggle with shopping at Tesco, left his friends, packed the shopping and brought it to the car for me - he said his mam is in the same boat so he understands! Soo impressed ðŸ˜

The lady in Grubbs on O'Connell St who is an all round superstar and always finds what I need for my art.

The porters and Larry, Pat C, Ben, Emma and Realtin in WIT, college Street who have all gone out of their way to be helpful at various times.

The porters at the railway station, so helpful and kind every single time..

My friends came to visit this past weekend. They couldn't believe the buzz around the city, how pretty the lights and decorations look, the events planned during Winterval, the quality of the brochure and website for it, the range of shops and the selection of goods available. Special mention to the newly opened NCBI shop on O'Connell Street, Shaws and Guineys! My friends are raving about Waterford and their January trip is already planned!

Waterford walls - what a brilliant project ðŸ‘

That's it for now, sorry it's so long.. Thanks everyone who has made life a little easier and happier ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

susiespark

Thank YOU for brightening up my day with such a positive post.

:)

Winterval organisers, promoters, stewards, business people who get behind it, etc etc......even better than last year, keep developing and keep it up.

To be fair the flood works the council have been engaged in for 10+ years now ongoing have kept most Waterford people dry this year, it might not be sexy infrastructure to be putting money into but it is very valuable on so many levels as there was very little flooding as compared to previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Just wanted to mention the staff in Castle Pharmacy in the Ballinakill Shopping Centre. It's actually the closest pharmacy to me and I never use it as I keep forgetting it's there so recently I've used it twice and both times I've found the staff unbelievably friendly and pleasant to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

My wife was taken in to A&E in an ambulance last Monday night due to a combination of an asthma attack and chest infection (Caredoc was extremely worried).
    I had to follow on after packing a bag, etc.

I want to give a big thanks out to the staff from the ambulance crew (from Dungarvan), the doctors and nurses who looked after her.

My experience of A&E has mostly been confined to the waiting room (thankfully) and I thought it was very busy for a Monday night (load of sports injuries).
    I was allowed in behind to be with my wife, bloody hell were my eyes opened.

The place was manic but all the staff were calm, organised and so efficient. They were superb. They looked after her with a combination of drips, drugs, oxygen, took bloods, temp, blood pressure, etc and all the while looking after other patients. We were able to leave later that night / next morning in a lot better condition than she came in.

I said to myself what would it be like at the weekend when you throw in the after effects of the pub / nightclub shennigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Just wanted to mention the staff in Castle Pharmacy in the Ballinakill Shopping Centre. It's actually the closest pharmacy to me and I never use it as I keep forgetting it's there so recently I've used it twice and both times I've found the staff unbelievably friendly and pleasant to deal with.
    Couldn't agree more excellent service. Its easy to forget its there is the only problem. Ballinakill centre has a lot of good services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

debok wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more excellent service. Its easy to forget its there is the only problem. Ballinakill centre has a lot of good services

Agreed I went in there for the first time recently and will return

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Kudos to those who run Tully's down on O'Connell Street. Fantastic beers, knowledgable staff and a great mixed crowd there. They'll do well for sure if the types of bars that have risen to prominence in Dublin in recent years are anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Credit to the Waterford senior hurlers and management team who are top of the league divsion 1a and remain undeafted since 30/3/14 in the league. The future looks bright

The staff in the cafe upstairs in the hyper are very nice too

Advertisement