Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2012-2013 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

any thoughts on the link between referee and linesmen?? the first tarf try came from a tarf player pulling the YM 9s hand, the linesmen both saw it but ref would not listen. lots of other little things happened where the linesmen needed to have an input. Apparently they were told by ref A.R. to show him where the ball goes out and nothing else. Bit of a joke if you ask me.

i was the opposite side of pitch for that try what i thought happened was the YM 9 was tackled at base of scrum ball went lose tarf blindside grounded. I'll take your word the above did happen, either way the better team won on the day.

to be honest i thought Rollands referring of the game yesterday was excellent, far too often the standard of referring at AIL level is abysmal and results in fragmented stop start games with whistle happy referees.

Word from Limerick is Keogh has been sacked by Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

bamboozle wrote: »

Very disappointing for all concerned at Shannon right now. That was a fairly severe hammering at Belvo yesterday and they just can't seem to do much right at the moment. For a team that were the standard bearers of club rugby for so long it will be a real fall from grace if they are relegated, which already looks more than likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Very disappointing for all concerned at Shannon right now. That was a fairly severe hammering at Belvo yesterday and they just can't seem to do much right at the moment. For a team that were the standard bearers of club rugby for so long it will be a real fall from grace if they are relegated, which already looks more than likely.
    Shame if they do get relegated. theyre struggling a bit at 2nds which hasnt happened a lot recently
    Their 21s are going ok and their is plenty of talent coming through so that if they do go down they do have the players to bring through to AIL level.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭good_afternoon

i was the opposite side of pitch for that try what i thought happened was the YM 9 was tackled at base of scrum ball went lose tarf blindside grounded. I'll take your word the above did happen, either way the better team won on the day.

to be honest i thought Rollands referring of the game yesterday was excellent, far too often the standard of referring at AIL level is abysmal and results in fragmented stop start games with whistle happy referees.

I did forget to mention that, YM didnt exactly look like scoring either and the tarf pack controlled the game so ref certainly cannot be blamed but its a pity for YM sake that two linesmen saw the incident but did not have any power to do something about it. was also very happy with the fact that he was not whistle happy, he let the game be played.

tarf pack will be hard to break down.

Also Keogh had to go, apparently he was going about everything in the wrong way and players were all unhappy with him. Not getting 1 point from 4 games is not good enough, especially as they dont even look like getting one for the rest of the lkeague.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Was very surprised to see UL Bohs overturn Garryowen. Was a tight game by all accounts and the try was the difference.

Shannon - look all over the place now. V.interesting to see who they bring in. You have to wonder, will it make any difference this season as the squad just doesn't look strong enough. Worth a try changing things though.

Big win for Clontarf. Greenfields is a hard place to pick up a win - especially in the Winter months. Could be a big moment in their season

Lansdowne v Cork Con - Went to this one as was in Dublin for the weekend. Good game. That astroturf pitch really allows running rugby this time of year. Could have gone either way. Both out-halfs on show were nice players. Cian Aherne picked up both tries for Lansdowne to follow on from his hat-trick last weekend. Has serious pace. Seems to be in good form.

Competition is wide open. You could fancy any of the folowing to win it: Clontarf, Lansdowne, Cork Con, Dolphin & Garryowen. Couldn't rule out YM or UL Bohs either but don't think they have enough balance.

If I'd to call it now, I'd say Lansdowne or Garryowen.

One final point. I think there is a a great opportunity for a TV channel - TV3/TG4/RTE/Setanta etc. to show an AIL game live every week. If marketed correctly, I think the viewership would be there. Plenty of interprovincial players playing week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

any thoughts on the link between referee and linesmen?? the first tarf try came from a tarf player pulling the YM 9s hand, the linesmen both saw it but ref would not listen. lots of other little things happened where the linesmen needed to have an input. Apparently they were told by ref A.R. to show him where the ball goes out and nothing else. Bit of a joke if you ask me.

Its not illegal once the ball being played tho so as long as hands were on the ball the Tarf 9 had right to play. I thought both Tarf and YM were very poor, neither dominated each other, a lot of shocking decisions being made and little or no threat to each other. The only players i thought looked threathening was McGrath on wing for Tarf and MacAuley on wing for YM

Something had to be done. Shannon been going downhill a while now, maybe a fresh face and fresh ideas can help change some of their fortunes but the facr so far is they don't seem to have the players.

Most impressive teams so far are Lansowne and Cons, hands down the 2 standouts for me. Their both packed with Academy lads which is an advantage but look miles ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

Volvic12 wrote: »
    Was very surprised to see UL Bohs overturn Garryowen. Was a tight game by all accounts and the try was the difference.

Shannon - look all over the place now. V.interesting to see who they bring in. You have to wonder, will it make any difference this season as the squad just doesn't look strong enough. Worth a try changing things though.

Big win for Clontarf. Greenfields is a hard place to pick up a win - especially in the Winter months. Could be a big moment in their season

Lansdowne v Cork Con - Went to this one as was in Dublin for the weekend. Good game. That astroturf pitch really allows running rugby this time of year. Could have gone either way. Both out-halfs on show were nice players. Cian Aherne picked up both tries for Lansdowne to follow on from his hat-trick last weekend. Has serious pace. Seems to be in good form.

Competition is wide open. You could fancy any of the folowing to win it: Clontarf, Lansdowne, Cork Con, Dolphin & Garryowen. Couldn't rule out YM or UL Bohs either but don't think they have enough balance.

One final point. I think there is a a great opportunity for a TV channel - TV3/TG4/RTE/Setanta etc. to show an AIL game live every week. If marketed correctly, I think the viewership would be there. Plenty of interprovincial players playing week in week out.
    lansdowne and con have a lot of quality players to draw from,shannon simply don't have the dept at present,good young guys coming through at 21 level but will take time with good coaching and man/managment, keogh should have gone last season...aertv are streeming AIL but there is definitely an opening on tv for ail div1

Its not illegal once the ball being played tho so as long as hands were on the ball the Tarf 9 had right to play. I thought both Tarf and YM were very poor, neither dominated each other, a lot of shocking decisions being made and little or no threat to each other. The only players i thought looked threathening was McGrath on wing for Tarf and MacAuley on wing for YM

Something had to be done. Shannon been going downhill a while now, maybe a fresh face and fresh ideas can help change some of their fortunes but the facr so far is they don't seem to have the players.

Most impressive teams so far are Lansowne and Cons, hands down the 2 standouts for me. Their both packed with Academy lads which is an advantage but look miles ahead

i thought Tarf pack dominated from the 10th minute onwards, well on top in scrum, caused YM all kinds of trouble in lineout and didnt allow any linebreaks by YM. Tarf just lacking control at halfbacks-POD showed just how rusty he is in the 30 minutes he was on pitch.

Tarf are missing few key players at the moment in Lett, Dundon, Crawford, Collie O'Shea. Flanagan is also out until after Christmas. If we can get 2 wins in next 3 weeks we'll be well poised when fixtures resume after christmas when the injury list clears.

Confirmation of Keogh and Cahill's departures from Shannon
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27634.php

The Shannon Garryowen game friday night in dooradoyle should be even more interesting now with the news that Keogh/Cahill are gone.

Don't really think Tarf's pack got on top for the whole game. they'd a solid period in the 1st half. But i think they almost cancelled eachother out in the 2nd. YM lacked linespeed and lost every contact area and if Tarf were that dominant they should've driven on and blown YM away.

• Advertisement

Clontarf v Lansdowne this fri night.
    Dolphin have beaten a shocking Shannon team, a poor Belvo team and an injury hit Marys team - they wont be top 4.
    UL Bohs dont have the bulk up front.
    Clontarf are missing 5 key players through injury, if we can make it through the next 3 games with 2 wins i reckon we'll be well placed come January.
    I said before the league started Garryowen & Con - they're doing well but both are beatable in what is going to be a very competitive league with all teams capable of nicking wins - well apart from Shannon.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Confirmation of Keogh and Cahill's departures from Shannon
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27634.php

The Shannon Garryowen game friday night in dooradoyle should be even more interesting now with the news that Keogh/Cahill are gone.
    talk on m'fans is that Shannons u21 coaches James hickey and Brian Tuhoy have been appointed as interim coaches for the next two games with Noel Healy and Tadgh Bennett assisting.
    Clontarf v Lansdowne this fri night.
    Dolphin have beaten a shocking Shannon team, a poor Belvo team and an injury hit Marys team - they wont be top 4.
    UL Bohs dont have the bulk up front.
    Clontarf are missing 5 key players through injury, if we can make it through the next 3 games with 2 wins i reckon we'll be well placed come January.
    I said before the league started Garryowen & Con - they're doing well but both are beatable in what is going to be a very competitive league with all teams capable of nicking wins - well apart from Shannon.
    Very competitive league. Id agree with you on Bohs and if TOD is playing more with munster which he could they will be affected even more.
    Interesting to see that this weekends game will be Buccaneers head coach's last game as he will be taking up a position back in south africa with the Blue Bulls. http://www.buccaneersrfc.com/news/

talk on m'fans is that Shannons u21 coaches James hickey and Brian Tuhoy have been appointed as interim coaches for the next two games with Noel Healy and Tadgh Bennett assisting.

Very competitive league. Id agree with you on Bohs and if TOD is playing more with munster which he could they will be affected even more.
    Interesting to see that this weekends game will be Buccaneers head coach's last game as he will be taking up a position back in south africa with the Blue Bulls. http://www.buccaneersrfc.com/news/

interestingly speaking of the Bulls, the current Corinthians coach Dr Phil Pretorious has previously coached the Bulls and the Tonan national side

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/2473/2012-22/Pretorius-named-Corinthians-head-coach

Shannon are travelling to Garryowen fri night - all of a sudden they will probably have Luke O'Dea, Butler, maybe Horan and Loxton available - might surprise and snatch a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Problem is that crowds are already quite thin at some games so live TV coverage might make them even smaller although TV exposure might help the profile of the AIL. BBC2W show short clips from their club Premiership on Scrum V. I think RTE should (like Wales/Scotland) have a regular Rabo Direct highlights show and include some action from AIL as part of it. They maybe will do this come the 6 nations starting again in February.

BTW saw this try on against the head on Monday night, YM scrum under serious pressure it turned, Haugh was under pressure to pass by Cronin and Tarf blindside got the try. Clear try.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

Problem is that crowds are already quite thin at some games so live TV coverage might make them even smaller although TV exposure might help the profile of the AIL. BBC2W show short clips from their club Premiership on Scrum V. I think RTE should (like Wales/Scotland) have a regular Rabo Direct highlights show and include some action from AIL as part of it. They maybe will do this come the 6 nations starting again in February.

That is a fair point that live coverage could take away from crowds.
    However, I am of the opinion that it would do the opposite. The TV exposure would greatly help the profile of AIL and the common rugby supporter would see that the standard is actually very high and would be more likely to go to their local club on a Friday Night/ Saturday.
    Also, if the numbers watching TV was high, then the AIL clubs would surely receive a fee from the Television companies for the rights.

The point could also be made that rugby already is receiving enough/too much exposure - Rabo, Heineken Cup, Autumn Tests, Six Nations, Summer Tests , World Cup, Lions etc. but I think there would be a genuine interest in the grass roots level

AIL would certainly be as entertaining as some of the league of ireland soccer that's shown on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭good_afternoon

BTW saw this try on against the head on Monday night, YM scrum under serious pressure it turned, Haugh was under pressure to pass by Cronin and Tarf blindside got the try. Clear try.

saw it myself..what im now wondrering is, if it is so easy for opposition 9 to slap hands and cause a fumble like that then why isnt it happening in every game??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 newden13

Aertv are showing matches live online on their live channel most weeks, tomorrow they have Clontarf vs Lansdowne. They're pretty good at showing sports that doesn't get on tv much, like club rugby matches and some boxing too I think. And I don't think it would take away from people going to the matches, but let more people out there know that there are these great matches happening every week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Go the games and enjoy the club you are supporting. They need rugby folk through the gates every home game.

• Advertisement

Big friday night lights game tomorrow between Clontarf & Lansdowne, plenty of fringe & academy players will be on show, Jack O'Connell, Tom Sexton, Martin Moore, Tadhg Beirne, Jordi Murphy, John Cooney, Matt Healy, Tadhg Furlong, Paul O'Donoghue, Noel Reid etc...

Galwegians beat Corinthians 31-13 in div2A
    Any results from tonights div1 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Belvo beat Mary's at the death 18-16. Mary's blew it tbh. They were 16-6 up with ten to go and conceded two tries. Belvo had a flanker in the bin in the second half and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

durkadurka wrote: »
    Belvo beat Mary's at the death 18-16. Mary's blew it tbh. They were 16-6 up with ten to go and conceded two tries. Belvo had a flanker in the bin in the second half and all.

Saw that result earlier, very shocked at that. The Tarf and Landsdowne match sounded like a cracker

From mf's
    Garryoween 12 Shannon 6
    YM 16 Bohs 14

Good result for Shannon considering their recent troubles.

Blackrock surprisingly beat UCD to move off the bottom of div1B
    the rest of tonights results are below
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/ulsterbankleague/27682.php

Lansdowne beat Clontarf with the last kick of the game to win at Castle Avenue, in fairness it was fully deserved, the lansdowne backs play beautiful rugby expertly dictated by Ronaldson, the lansdowne pack were excellent, not often i see Clontarf out muscled in the pack. Leinster academy trio O'Connell, Sexton & Moore were front row for lansdowne and they were excellent - Moore is an international in the making, they had our scrum under a lot of pressure.

On the bright side clontarf have a huge injury list which should be cleared by January. i think Lansdowne are the standout team in the league.

Final note, the standard of rugby in 1A has stepped up again from last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Was furlong injured? he came off pretty early

goreyguy wrote: »
    Was furlong injured? he came off pretty early

Nope he came back on, there are rolling subs in the AIL. Scored a pushover try near the end. Some thunderous tackles in the lose by him.

ah alright, i was watching for a bit online and he wasn't in the scrum and tarf were getting abused

• Advertisement

goreyguy wrote: »
    ah alright, i was watching for a bit online and he wasn't in the scrum and tarf were getting abused

Martin Moore was doing all kinds of damage in the scrum. Furlong has to be managed properly, he's only 19 still.

Martin Moore was doing all kinds of damage in the scrum. Furlong has to be managed properly, he's only 19 still.
    He does have to be managed properly. Only 20 this month. playing year or two of UBL and learning there while getting A time over next season and then pro12.
    On next weekends div1A games the marys shannon game will be very interesting considering they are 2nd bottom and bottom in the table respectively.

Seems that every week the fixtures are just getting bigger and bigger. I think this year will be closer than any other and could come down to luck! (What club stays injury free the most). Have to agree, think the standard has gone way up from last year. There are 5-6 teams capable of beating eachother on any given day. Bohs, YM, Lansdowne, Tarf, Cons and Garryowen. It'll come right down to the wire:

Shannon vs Marys will be very interesting, with the A games on this weekend shannon may miss O Dea and Loxton. Mary's missing Hudson. Mary's win and they have serious daylight between them and bottom and effectively could relegate shannon by creating such a gap.

Young Munster vs Garryowen will be another intriguing contest that can be affected by the a game. YM have lsot Alan Cotter till the end of the month, gone to bath on loan. Doubt any others will be involved. Garryowen could be missing many, Buckley, hircock, both O mahoney's. (Game of the weekend argueably)

Belvo Vs Cons, Belvo full of confidence and cons should be depleted from A fixture too possibly with Holland, Dineen, Deasy, Hayes and Donnellan gone, Belvo could sneak it

Dolphin vs Tarf dolphin's props may be involved as well in the A fixture which will remove their strongest weapon, the scrum, Danny barnes and Cian Bohane may be involved too which removes their strong centre partnership. Dunno if Tarf will be missing any barring injury (Bamboozle will know better than I). Fancy a wounded Tarf to win with BP

Lansdowne host UL Bohs on Aviva Astro Turf (what a joke), Bohs too lose JJ Hanrahan, Cathal Sheridan, Sean Heanry, Tommy O Donnell to the A fixture whihc will be massive blow to their chances. Lansdowne be without the frontrow trio? Jordi Murphy and Cooney? Be a great game to go watch, full of tries no doubt! Lansdowne to win

Furlong's shoulder needs to be protected.

Seems that every week the fixtures are just getting bigger and bigger. I think this year will be closer than any other and could come down to luck! (What club stays injury free the most). Have to agree, think the standard has gone way up from last year. There are 5-6 teams capable of beating eachother on any given day. Bohs, YM, Lansdowne, Tarf, Cons and Garryowen. It'll come right down to the wire:

Shannon vs Marys will be very interesting, with the A games on this weekend shannon may miss O Dea and Loxton. Mary's missing Hudson. Mary's win and they have serious daylight between them and bottom and effectively could relegate shannon by creating such a gap.

Young Munster vs Garryowen will be another intriguing contest that can be affected by the a game. YM have lost Alan Cotter till the end of the month, gone to bath on loan. Doubt any others will be involved. Garryowen could be missing many, Buckley, hircock, both O mahoney's. (Game of the weekend argueably)

Belvo Vs Cons, Belvo full of confidence and cons should be depleted from A fixture too possibly with Holland, Dineen, Deasy, Hayes and Donnellan gone, Belvo could sneak it

Dolphin vs Tarf dolphin's props may be involved as well in the A fixture which will remove their strongest weapon, the scrum, Danny barnes and Cian Bohane may be involved too which removes their strong centre partnership. Dunno if Tarf will be missing any barring injury (Bamboozle will know better than I). Fancy a wounded Tarf to win with BP

Lansdowne host UL Bohs on Aviva Astro Turf (what a joke), Bohs to lose JJ Hanrahan, Cathal Sheridan, Sean Henry, Tommy O Donnell to the A fixture whihc will be massive blow to their chances. Lansdowne be without the frontrow trio? Jordi Murphy and Cooney? Be a great game to go watch, full of tries no doubt! Lansdowne to win
    Interesting that you say you think this year will be closer than any other when there was quite a few complaints beforehand about the removal of the end of season playoffs and that their removal would lead to loads of dead rubbers. doesnt look that way at the top and if Shannon sneak a win this weekend theyll be up with marys on a win apiece.
    Why do you think playing Lansdowne Bohs game on astro is a joke?

Interesting that you say you think this year will be closer than any other when there was quite a few complaints beforehand about the removal of the end of season playoffs and that their removal would lead to loads of dead rubbers. doesnt look that way at the top and if Shannon sneak a win this weekend theyll be up with marys on a win apiece.
    Why do you think playing Lansdowne Bohs game on astro is a joke?
    It's not astro anyway. It is a 3G synthetic grass pitch. Tough on the knee-joints but plays like a pitch in Australia or SouthAfrica. Astro is plastic and used for lesser contact sports like soccer and field hockey.

• Advertisement

JustinDee wrote: »
    It's not astro anyway. It is a 3G synthetic grass pitch. Tough on the knee-joints but plays like a pitch in Australia or SouthAfrica. Astro is plastic and used for lesser contact sports like soccer and field hockey.
    knew it was something like that. called it astro as couldnt think exactly what type surface the pitch was.
    same type of pitch as the pitch in dooradoyle then??

Young Munster vs Garryowen will be another intriguing contest that can be affected by the a game. YM have lsot Alan Cotter till the end of the month, gone to bath on loan. Doubt any others will be involved. Garryowen could be missing many, Buckley, hircock, both O mahoney's. (Game of the weekend argueably)

Lansdowne host UL Bohs on Aviva Astro Turf (what a joke), Bohs too lose JJ Hanrahan, Cathal Sheridan, Sean Heanry, Tommy O Donnell to the A fixture whihc will be massive blow to their chances. Lansdowne be without the frontrow trio? Jordi Murphy and Cooney? Be a great game to go watch, full of tries no doubt! Lansdowne to win

Clontarf wont be affected by A call ups except for maybe Furlong, but we've got Des Merry (ire U20's last year) waiting in wings. I'd agree with you that Dolphin without Condon are a different side, i'd expect DOC II and Barnes to be involved at A level also.

I dont like the back pitch at Lansdowne, first and foremost as it only allows supporters to stand along one side of the pitch and behind the goals at the club end.

There was a nice piece on Barry O'Mahoney's rise/renaissance from AIL back to pro rugby on against the head the other night, just goes to show that there is good quality in the AIL that could step up,.

This is the strongest i've seen 1A in years, i still think a top 4 play off with the final in the ground of the team which finishes highest would really add some fizz to the league. Plus winner takes all leaves teams exposed to injury & provincial call ups etc.

Edit - i note the A fixture between Munster & Leinster is this thursday, i'd except to see players togging out at AIL on Saturday.

griffen shannon prop also gone to bath on loan

Griffen is named on bench for Munster A, mustn't have worked out for him

The reason i think its a joke that Lansdowne get to play on the 3G pitch is that its instantly an added advantage, their one of the only clubs in the country to play on one. If your body isn't used to it its like playing on concrete, the joints and muscles take an awful batering and its ont something you can just adjust to! It jsut my view on the whole situation, i think its unfair asking Bohs, Shannon Cons, Dolphin travel up and play on that!

Griffen is named on bench for Munster A, mustn't have worked out for him

The reason i think its a joke that Lansdowne get to play on the 3G pitch is that its instantly an added advantage, their one of the only clubs in the country to play on one. If your body isn't used to it its like playing on concrete, the joints and muscles take an awful batering and its ont something you can just adjust to! It jsut my view on the whole situation, i think its unfair asking Bohs, Shannon Cons, Dolphin travel up and play on that!
    Griffin may have been needed back here to play. injurys etc.

Dont see the problem of Lansdowne playing on the 3G pitch. Garryowen have a 3G pitch and we played on it a few weeks ago and only 1 or 2 of our players had played on that kind of pitch before. Players wont think about the pitch. Theyll take added precautions before the game and just get on with the game.

• Advertisement

Its fine and not actually that much of a difference.
    I'll also add that home advantage is based on own conditions anyway. Not everyone is used to the surface at Donnybrook in second half of season as Old Wesley or Bective are, nor the 3G surfaces in Lansdowne/Wanderers and G'owen. What about Lansdowne or Wanderers playing opposition on the main pitch at the Aviva? Who else is used to that? Its generally a very firm surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

i always found it hard when i had to travel down to the back arse of beyond in limerick or cork and play on the ****test pitch ever which was used for grazing and had a massive hill on it and no grass and then defend one out rugby for the day. one might say it was an unfair advantage

Weekend previews of division 2A and 2B games
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27716.php
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27724.php

Some big games in both divisions both at the top and bottom of the tables.
    Big games of the day in Div 2B are the game between 4th placed Boyne and league leaders Naas in Boyne, bottom of the league Connemara hosting 3rd placed Rainey Old Boys and a bottom of the table scrap between Sligo, currently in 15th, and 13th place Ards.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

Griffin may have been needed back here to play. injurys etc.

Dont see the problem of Lansdowne playing on the 3G pitch. Garryowen have a 3G pitch and we played on it a few weeks ago and only 1 or 2 of our players had played on that kind of pitch before. Players wont think about the pitch. Theyll take added precautions before the game and just get on with the game.

You forget about the pitch after about 5 minutes.

Last season we(Lansdowne) beat Mary's in Templeville and then went on to lose to them in Lansdowne Road for whatever that's worth.

The only real difference on the pitch is the way the ball bounces(a bit unpredictable, kind of skids some times) but it bounces the same for both teams so no advantage there.

Also, we never train on grass so if there is a difference between pitches then we are at a disadvantage for 50% of our games whereas the visiting teams are only at a disadvantage for 1 game a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Weekend previews of division 2A and 2B games
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27716.php
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27724.php

Some big games in both divisions both at the top and bottom of the tables.
    Big games of the day in Div 2B are the game between 4th placed Boyne and league leaders Naas in Boyne, bottom of the league Connemara hosting 3rd placed Rainey Old Boys and a bottom of the table scrap between Sligo, currently in 15th, and 13th place Ards.

Barnhall bet a very disappointing Clonakilty side 72-0 today in 2AB.

having led Dolphin away all game Clontarf concened a penalty on the stroke of full time...thankfully in the 8th minute of injury time Darragh Fitzpatrick stepped up to send over the winner, having lost 2 games in injury time already this season we deserved a bit of luck...tough as it was on Dolphin

Belvo demolished Con, i'm wondering how many of the Con team were missing having played for the Munster A's on thursday, am guessing Ryan, Deasy, Dineen and their 2nd row.

having led Dolphin away all game Clontarf concened a penalty on the stroke of full time...thankfully in the 8th minute of injury time Darragh Fitzpatrick stepped up to send over the winner, having lost 2 games in injury time already this season we deserved a bit of luck...tough as it was on Dolphin

Belvo demolished Con, i'm wondering how many of the Con team were missing having played for the Munster A's on thursday, am guessing Ryan, Deasy, Dineen and their 2nd row.

A bitter sweet moment Bamboozle, being on the giving end of an injury time winner after late losses to Cons and Lansdowne!!

From what i saw Cons had Deasy, donnellan, hayes thatwere involved on Thursday (weren't starters) Ryan was injured before A game i believe and Dineen started which ruled him out. Belvo have seriously turned a corner, with Danny Riordan leading from the back their starting to hit form and look like the side that won it 2 seasons ago.

Lansdowne on top and looks like they could stay there with the strength of their squad. Are tough to beat away and this yr seem to travel well!

Weekend previews
    Div 2B http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27843.php
    Div 2A http://www.irishrugby.ie/ulsterbankleague/27838.php

Some big games that will be key in deciding promotion/relegation even at this stage in the season
    In div2A bottom placed DLSP travel to mid table Seapoint and a loss for De La Salle will put them in a tough position esp if they play like their previous 2 games which were both 30+ point losses
    UCC host Queens in a game that is key to both sides as to the remainder of the season. UCC are currently 3rd on points difference and fighting out for promotion to 1B with unbeaten Banbridge(and just promoted from 2B last season), Terenure and Corinthians while Queens are winless and 2nd bottom on points difference to DLSP.

In Div 2B the 2 sides at the wrong end of the table, Clonakilty and Connemara, were due to face one another but their game is off due to a death in the Connemara club
    Plenty of games between sides in midtable that will help decide who will be challengers for promotion and who will not

1A Fixtures this weekend

Tonight in Castle Avenue Clontarf v Old Belvedere (live on aertv) Clontarf finally getting a few wins together as injurys abate, Crawford and Noel Reid back tonight, Tadhg Furlong starting on bench. Old B beat Con handsomly last time out but Con had a depleted front row. Old B may have Ben Marshall, Jack Conan & Leo Auvua. Clontarf will win if they can dominate up front.

Tomorrow
    Con v Shannon - Con will regroup with a win here.
    Garryowen v Marys - wouldnt be surprised if Marys finally nick a win here, Garryowen will be missing Barry O'Mahoney & TJ anderson in back row. Hudson & McGrath if available to Marys will provide cutting edge and scrum dominance.
    UL Bohs v Dolphin - I'd imagine UL Boh's backs wont get much chance to shine as Dolphin's pack will scrum and boss a lightweith UL Bohs 8.
    Young Munster v Lansdowne - match depends on which Leinster players Lansdowne can draw on, if Moore, Sexton & O'Conell start in front row i cant see a disappointing YM team standing up to them.

Would expect Lansdowne to make a statement against YM away, is a tough place to go and win but with the possible front row of O Connell, Sexton and Moore, Beirne in 2nd row, Essex in back row and their backs who are all top players! Lansdowne by 7 or more
    Tarf to put Belvo to the sword and win tonight, Shannon to be badly beaten again, G'owen to stay within reach of Lansdowne by beatin Marys and Bohs to win against Dolphin in a tight one

• Advertisement
Advertisement