Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank League 2012-2013 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

bamboozle wrote: »
    Martin Moore was doing all kinds of damage in the scrum. Furlong has to be managed properly, he's only 19 still.
    He does have to be managed properly. Only 20 this month. playing year or two of UBL and learning there while getting A time over next season and then pro12.
    On next weekends div1A games the marys shannon game will be very interesting considering they are 2nd bottom and bottom in the table respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Seems that every week the fixtures are just getting bigger and bigger. I think this year will be closer than any other and could come down to luck! (What club stays injury free the most). Have to agree, think the standard has gone way up from last year. There are 5-6 teams capable of beating eachother on any given day. Bohs, YM, Lansdowne, Tarf, Cons and Garryowen. It'll come right down to the wire:

Shannon vs Marys will be very interesting, with the A games on this weekend shannon may miss O Dea and Loxton. Mary's missing Hudson. Mary's win and they have serious daylight between them and bottom and effectively could relegate shannon by creating such a gap.

Young Munster vs Garryowen will be another intriguing contest that can be affected by the a game. YM have lsot Alan Cotter till the end of the month, gone to bath on loan. Doubt any others will be involved. Garryowen could be missing many, Buckley, hircock, both O mahoney's. (Game of the weekend argueably)

Belvo Vs Cons, Belvo full of confidence and cons should be depleted from A fixture too possibly with Holland, Dineen, Deasy, Hayes and Donnellan gone, Belvo could sneak it

Dolphin vs Tarf dolphin's props may be involved as well in the A fixture which will remove their strongest weapon, the scrum, Danny barnes and Cian Bohane may be involved too which removes their strong centre partnership. Dunno if Tarf will be missing any barring injury (Bamboozle will know better than I). Fancy a wounded Tarf to win with BP

Lansdowne host UL Bohs on Aviva Astro Turf (what a joke), Bohs too lose JJ Hanrahan, Cathal Sheridan, Sean Heanry, Tommy O Donnell to the A fixture whihc will be massive blow to their chances. Lansdowne be without the frontrow trio? Jordi Murphy and Cooney? Be a great game to go watch, full of tries no doubt! Lansdowne to win

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Furlong's shoulder needs to be protected.

Seems that every week the fixtures are just getting bigger and bigger. I think this year will be closer than any other and could come down to luck! (What club stays injury free the most). Have to agree, think the standard has gone way up from last year. There are 5-6 teams capable of beating eachother on any given day. Bohs, YM, Lansdowne, Tarf, Cons and Garryowen. It'll come right down to the wire:

Shannon vs Marys will be very interesting, with the A games on this weekend shannon may miss O Dea and Loxton. Mary's missing Hudson. Mary's win and they have serious daylight between them and bottom and effectively could relegate shannon by creating such a gap.

Young Munster vs Garryowen will be another intriguing contest that can be affected by the a game. YM have lost Alan Cotter till the end of the month, gone to bath on loan. Doubt any others will be involved. Garryowen could be missing many, Buckley, hircock, both O mahoney's. (Game of the weekend argueably)

Belvo Vs Cons, Belvo full of confidence and cons should be depleted from A fixture too possibly with Holland, Dineen, Deasy, Hayes and Donnellan gone, Belvo could sneak it

Dolphin vs Tarf dolphin's props may be involved as well in the A fixture which will remove their strongest weapon, the scrum, Danny barnes and Cian Bohane may be involved too which removes their strong centre partnership. Dunno if Tarf will be missing any barring injury (Bamboozle will know better than I). Fancy a wounded Tarf to win with BP

Lansdowne host UL Bohs on Aviva Astro Turf (what a joke), Bohs to lose JJ Hanrahan, Cathal Sheridan, Sean Henry, Tommy O Donnell to the A fixture whihc will be massive blow to their chances. Lansdowne be without the frontrow trio? Jordi Murphy and Cooney? Be a great game to go watch, full of tries no doubt! Lansdowne to win
    Interesting that you say you think this year will be closer than any other when there was quite a few complaints beforehand about the removal of the end of season playoffs and that their removal would lead to loads of dead rubbers. doesnt look that way at the top and if Shannon sneak a win this weekend theyll be up with marys on a win apiece.
    Why do you think playing Lansdowne Bohs game on astro is a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

ormond lad wrote: »
    Interesting that you say you think this year will be closer than any other when there was quite a few complaints beforehand about the removal of the end of season playoffs and that their removal would lead to loads of dead rubbers. doesnt look that way at the top and if Shannon sneak a win this weekend theyll be up with marys on a win apiece.
    Why do you think playing Lansdowne Bohs game on astro is a joke?
    It's not astro anyway. It is a 3G synthetic grass pitch. Tough on the knee-joints but plays like a pitch in Australia or SouthAfrica. Astro is plastic and used for lesser contact sports like soccer and field hockey.

• Advertisement

JustinDee wrote: »
    It's not astro anyway. It is a 3G synthetic grass pitch. Tough on the knee-joints but plays like a pitch in Australia or SouthAfrica. Astro is plastic and used for lesser contact sports like soccer and field hockey.
    knew it was something like that. called it astro as couldnt think exactly what type surface the pitch was.
    same type of pitch as the pitch in dooradoyle then??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Young Munster vs Garryowen will be another intriguing contest that can be affected by the a game. YM have lsot Alan Cotter till the end of the month, gone to bath on loan. Doubt any others will be involved. Garryowen could be missing many, Buckley, hircock, both O mahoney's. (Game of the weekend argueably)

Lansdowne host UL Bohs on Aviva Astro Turf (what a joke), Bohs too lose JJ Hanrahan, Cathal Sheridan, Sean Heanry, Tommy O Donnell to the A fixture whihc will be massive blow to their chances. Lansdowne be without the frontrow trio? Jordi Murphy and Cooney? Be a great game to go watch, full of tries no doubt! Lansdowne to win

Clontarf wont be affected by A call ups except for maybe Furlong, but we've got Des Merry (ire U20's last year) waiting in wings. I'd agree with you that Dolphin without Condon are a different side, i'd expect DOC II and Barnes to be involved at A level also.

I dont like the back pitch at Lansdowne, first and foremost as it only allows supporters to stand along one side of the pitch and behind the goals at the club end.

There was a nice piece on Barry O'Mahoney's rise/renaissance from AIL back to pro rugby on against the head the other night, just goes to show that there is good quality in the AIL that could step up,.

This is the strongest i've seen 1A in years, i still think a top 4 play off with the final in the ground of the team which finishes highest would really add some fizz to the league. Plus winner takes all leaves teams exposed to injury & provincial call ups etc.

Edit - i note the A fixture between Munster & Leinster is this thursday, i'd except to see players togging out at AIL on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

griffen shannon prop also gone to bath on loan

Griffen is named on bench for Munster A, mustn't have worked out for him

The reason i think its a joke that Lansdowne get to play on the 3G pitch is that its instantly an added advantage, their one of the only clubs in the country to play on one. If your body isn't used to it its like playing on concrete, the joints and muscles take an awful batering and its ont something you can just adjust to! It jsut my view on the whole situation, i think its unfair asking Bohs, Shannon Cons, Dolphin travel up and play on that!

Griffen is named on bench for Munster A, mustn't have worked out for him

The reason i think its a joke that Lansdowne get to play on the 3G pitch is that its instantly an added advantage, their one of the only clubs in the country to play on one. If your body isn't used to it its like playing on concrete, the joints and muscles take an awful batering and its ont something you can just adjust to! It jsut my view on the whole situation, i think its unfair asking Bohs, Shannon Cons, Dolphin travel up and play on that!
    Griffin may have been needed back here to play. injurys etc.

Dont see the problem of Lansdowne playing on the 3G pitch. Garryowen have a 3G pitch and we played on it a few weeks ago and only 1 or 2 of our players had played on that kind of pitch before. Players wont think about the pitch. Theyll take added precautions before the game and just get on with the game.

• Advertisement

Its fine and not actually that much of a difference.
    I'll also add that home advantage is based on own conditions anyway. Not everyone is used to the surface at Donnybrook in second half of season as Old Wesley or Bective are, nor the 3G surfaces in Lansdowne/Wanderers and G'owen. What about Lansdowne or Wanderers playing opposition on the main pitch at the Aviva? Who else is used to that? Its generally a very firm surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

i always found it hard when i had to travel down to the back arse of beyond in limerick or cork and play on the ****test pitch ever which was used for grazing and had a massive hill on it and no grass and then defend one out rugby for the day. one might say it was an unfair advantage

Weekend previews of division 2A and 2B games
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27716.php
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27724.php

Some big games in both divisions both at the top and bottom of the tables.
    Big games of the day in Div 2B are the game between 4th placed Boyne and league leaders Naas in Boyne, bottom of the league Connemara hosting 3rd placed Rainey Old Boys and a bottom of the table scrap between Sligo, currently in 15th, and 13th place Ards.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

Griffin may have been needed back here to play. injurys etc.

Dont see the problem of Lansdowne playing on the 3G pitch. Garryowen have a 3G pitch and we played on it a few weeks ago and only 1 or 2 of our players had played on that kind of pitch before. Players wont think about the pitch. Theyll take added precautions before the game and just get on with the game.

You forget about the pitch after about 5 minutes.

Last season we(Lansdowne) beat Mary's in Templeville and then went on to lose to them in Lansdowne Road for whatever that's worth.

The only real difference on the pitch is the way the ball bounces(a bit unpredictable, kind of skids some times) but it bounces the same for both teams so no advantage there.

Also, we never train on grass so if there is a difference between pitches then we are at a disadvantage for 50% of our games whereas the visiting teams are only at a disadvantage for 1 game a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Weekend previews of division 2A and 2B games
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27716.php
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27724.php

Some big games in both divisions both at the top and bottom of the tables.
    Big games of the day in Div 2B are the game between 4th placed Boyne and league leaders Naas in Boyne, bottom of the league Connemara hosting 3rd placed Rainey Old Boys and a bottom of the table scrap between Sligo, currently in 15th, and 13th place Ards.

Barnhall bet a very disappointing Clonakilty side 72-0 today in 2AB.

having led Dolphin away all game Clontarf concened a penalty on the stroke of full time...thankfully in the 8th minute of injury time Darragh Fitzpatrick stepped up to send over the winner, having lost 2 games in injury time already this season we deserved a bit of luck...tough as it was on Dolphin

Belvo demolished Con, i'm wondering how many of the Con team were missing having played for the Munster A's on thursday, am guessing Ryan, Deasy, Dineen and their 2nd row.

having led Dolphin away all game Clontarf concened a penalty on the stroke of full time...thankfully in the 8th minute of injury time Darragh Fitzpatrick stepped up to send over the winner, having lost 2 games in injury time already this season we deserved a bit of luck...tough as it was on Dolphin

Belvo demolished Con, i'm wondering how many of the Con team were missing having played for the Munster A's on thursday, am guessing Ryan, Deasy, Dineen and their 2nd row.

A bitter sweet moment Bamboozle, being on the giving end of an injury time winner after late losses to Cons and Lansdowne!!

From what i saw Cons had Deasy, donnellan, hayes thatwere involved on Thursday (weren't starters) Ryan was injured before A game i believe and Dineen started which ruled him out. Belvo have seriously turned a corner, with Danny Riordan leading from the back their starting to hit form and look like the side that won it 2 seasons ago.

Lansdowne on top and looks like they could stay there with the strength of their squad. Are tough to beat away and this yr seem to travel well!

Weekend previews
    Div 2B http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27843.php
    Div 2A http://www.irishrugby.ie/ulsterbankleague/27838.php

Some big games that will be key in deciding promotion/relegation even at this stage in the season
    In div2A bottom placed DLSP travel to mid table Seapoint and a loss for De La Salle will put them in a tough position esp if they play like their previous 2 games which were both 30+ point losses
    UCC host Queens in a game that is key to both sides as to the remainder of the season. UCC are currently 3rd on points difference and fighting out for promotion to 1B with unbeaten Banbridge(and just promoted from 2B last season), Terenure and Corinthians while Queens are winless and 2nd bottom on points difference to DLSP.

In Div 2B the 2 sides at the wrong end of the table, Clonakilty and Connemara, were due to face one another but their game is off due to a death in the Connemara club
    Plenty of games between sides in midtable that will help decide who will be challengers for promotion and who will not

1A Fixtures this weekend

Tonight in Castle Avenue Clontarf v Old Belvedere (live on aertv) Clontarf finally getting a few wins together as injurys abate, Crawford and Noel Reid back tonight, Tadhg Furlong starting on bench. Old B beat Con handsomly last time out but Con had a depleted front row. Old B may have Ben Marshall, Jack Conan & Leo Auvua. Clontarf will win if they can dominate up front.

Tomorrow
    Con v Shannon - Con will regroup with a win here.
    Garryowen v Marys - wouldnt be surprised if Marys finally nick a win here, Garryowen will be missing Barry O'Mahoney & TJ anderson in back row. Hudson & McGrath if available to Marys will provide cutting edge and scrum dominance.
    UL Bohs v Dolphin - I'd imagine UL Boh's backs wont get much chance to shine as Dolphin's pack will scrum and boss a lightweith UL Bohs 8.
    Young Munster v Lansdowne - match depends on which Leinster players Lansdowne can draw on, if Moore, Sexton & O'Conell start in front row i cant see a disappointing YM team standing up to them.

Would expect Lansdowne to make a statement against YM away, is a tough place to go and win but with the possible front row of O Connell, Sexton and Moore, Beirne in 2nd row, Essex in back row and their backs who are all top players! Lansdowne by 7 or more
    Tarf to put Belvo to the sword and win tonight, Shannon to be badly beaten again, G'owen to stay within reach of Lansdowne by beatin Marys and Bohs to win against Dolphin in a tight one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

1A Fixtures this weekend

Tonight in Castle Avenue Clontarf v Old Belvedere (live on aertv)

Any idea what the story is with this aertv? This is the second time I've tried to check out games after they had advertised that they were showing a match. Hasn't worked either time and I'm wondering has anyone else had the same experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Any idea what the story is with this aertv? This is the second time I've tried to check out games after they had advertised that they were showing a match. Hasn't worked either time and I'm wondering has anyone else had the same experience?
    Same here I can't view the match either.

Would expect Lansdowne to make a statement against YM away, is a tough place to go and win but with the possible front row of O Connell, Sexton and Moore, Beirne in 2nd row, Essex in back row and their backs who are all top players! Lansdowne by 7 or more
    Tarf to put Belvo to the sword and win tonight, Shannon to be badly beaten again, G'owen to stay within reach of Lansdowne by beatin Marys and Bohs to win against Dolphin in a tight one
    Edit: Belvo lead Clontarf 10-5 approaching half time

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Cheers for the score update JustinDee! Appreciate it. Still no joy on Aertv which is disappointing. Are you at the game?

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Cheers for the score update JustinDee! Appreciate it. Still no joy on Aertv which is disappointing. Are you at the game?
    Belvo binning.
    Pen to Tarf.
    10-8 Belvo

Another pen to Clontarf. 11-10 as they take lead for first time

Belvo pen. Lead changes. 13-11

What time is left

Clontarf convert a last min pen to win 14-13

• Advertisement

Thanks for the updates Justindee, don't know what happened to aertv, have watched lots of programmes on it in the past but the match just never came up.

Advertisement