Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank League 2012-2013 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

bamboozle wrote: »
    Tarf were poor, rudderless and devoid of much invention. Garryowen were very good, scored one lucky try with a lucky bounce from a kick but well deserved the win, Tarf were camped on the garryowen line several times with no reward, quick tap penalty in front of garryowen posts after halftime resulted in a knock on...summed up clontarf on the day.

YM Marys match sounds like a good one to have been at, no one taking a backwards step.

Mary;s were poor, looked to be very disorganised, scrum on the back foot, lost a lot of lineouts and took Connor Hogan to produce any sort of threat. Have regressed a lot from last season, YM were good, could've scored more and really made a marker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

whysomoody wrote: »
    I think form experience this has more to do with the pressures of Christmas exams around the winter months than the pitches.

trinity dont have christmas exams and ucd have them at summer as well

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭whysomoody

roycon wrote: »
    trinity don't have Christmas exams and UCD have them at summer as well

Trinity do have Christmas exams, they are just held in January.

The other reason you have is that college teams tend to field a large amount of players who don't come from the area they study, so students go home for Christmas etc and so they don't train over that period.

The summer exams are normally a month after the season ends, unless you get to the Frazer McMullen Cup final which is mid-April.

On this topic, I went to see UCD v Bruff yesterday in Belifield and have to say it was one of the most enjoyable matches I have watched in quite a while. UCD play a very expansive style of rugby which is a breath of fresh air from the kick-oriented professional game like the Uls-Conn game the night before. They put Jordan Coughlan on at 12 for the second half, I know he is supposed to be a 6 but it was almost unfair at times the destruction he caused running through the middle.

Well worth a watch this year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Heard somewhere that Luke McGrath is playing on the wing in the UBL. Is this true?

If so is it because there is a very good SH ahead of him at club level or is he looking at a positional switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

trinity dont have exams after christmas but DIT and DCU both do. no luke mcgrath is only playing scrum half. jordan coughlan came on at 1st centre though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

roycon wrote: »
    trinity dont have exams after christmas but DIT and DCU both do. no luke mcgrath is only playing scrum half. jordan coughlan came on at 1st centre though
    Trinity do have exams after Christmas, they modularised so its only really CA (10-20% per module) but they do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

Saw this being asked on twitter yesterday. Does anyone know of an android app for the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭whysomoody

Heard somewhere that Luke McGrath is playing on the wing in the UBL. Is this true?

If so is it because there is a very good SH ahead of him at club level or is he looking at a positional switch?

No he played 70 mins at scrum-half, played pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Good idea by Dolphin rfc in Cork that should really be looked at by all clubs.
    theyve partnered 4 of their senior squad with each one of their underage squads to help out with coaching, try get kids attend AIL games,encourage players to get into coaching
    http://dolphinrfc.com/rugby/senior-panel-to-team-up-with-youthminis-sides/

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

phog wrote: »
    Saw this being asked on twitter yesterday. Does anyone know of an android app for the league?

I'm actually working on one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

Gargled wrote: »
    I'm actually working on one!

That's great, you might also look at one for the Rabo and H/cup or are these available already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Clontarf finally got their season up and running on saturday with a BP win at home to UL Bohs. Once again the tarf scrum and lineout were well on top and the backs finally showed some cutting edge. Still missing 3-4 key players and travelling down to Young Munster next weekend.

Shannon have lost 3 now and have scored 23 points in those 3 games. Lansdowne & Garryowen unbeaten but am not sure if either will be in top two by end of season as Garryowen's squad is too small & Lansdowne are a bunch of D4 sissys!

Dara Fitz hasn't been in a squad report for arf yet, is he actually playing up there?

Big games this weekend with Lansdowne hosting Cons and Munsters hosting tarf. Dare i say it this early that these could be season defining for 3 of the 4 clubs that have tasted defeat?

Bohs hosting Garryowen in TP friday is another crunch clash thats impossible to call due to the nature of Limerick derbys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Best of luck to Barnhall's Jim Nolan, 41 y/o prop from Kerry and past captain of the club, who broke the fibia and tibia in his left leg last Sat in a 2B match against Newtonards. This was to be Jim's final season as a player - tough way to go if it turns out this was his last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Anyone checked out www.wordinsport.com giving the ail a lot of coverage , worth a look

Darragh Fitzpatrick and Paul O'Donoghue on bench for Clontarf for tomorrow's trip to YM.....tough game in store

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Do you write these yourself ormond?

No but am looking to do some writing on club/underage rugby to start after xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Just seen that aertv.ie are streaming some of the Ulster League matches live this season.

They're showing Old Belvadere v Shannon tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Tonights results
    Div 1A
    UL Bohs 16 Garryowen 12
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/27619.php
    Div 2A
    Seapoint 15 Terenure 13
    Div 2B
    Naas 27 Navan 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

They're written in-house by staff.

ormond lad wrote: »
    Tonights results
    Div 1A
    UL Bohs 16 Garryowen 12
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/27619.php
    Div 2A
    Seapoint 15 Terenure 13
    Div 2B
    Naas 27 Navan 12

UL Bohs defeating Garryowen has opened up the 1A hopefully Clontarf can scrape a win at YM today..i'd nearly settle for a LBP..hitting the road now great game in store.

bamboozle wrote: »
    UL Bohs defeating Garryowen has opened up the 1A hopefully Clontarf can scrape a win at YM today..i'd nearly settle for a LBP..hitting the road now great game in store.
    Good win for 'tarf bamboozle.
    Nenagh won 18-5 against sligo but will be disapointted not to get the 4 try bonus.
    All other results are below
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/27620.php

Great win for Tarf!! But the result of the weekend has to be Cons turn around against Lansdowne! There the games that can win you titles!!

still dont know what to make of Clontarf's win at YM, as with last week early on our outhalf was committing hari kari by throwing a ridiculous skip pass in the first few minutes playing into the wind and rain which was gobbled up by the YM winger for a 5 points. YM tacked on 2 more penalties to be 11 nil up after ten minutes with a strong wind and rain behind them. Thereafter the Clontarf pack took over and completely dominated a (dare i say it) disinterested YM 8, i actually dont remember a YM linebreak in the game, they were just passing the ball over and back and making no ground.

Tarf's lineout and scrum were excellent as always and unlike previous weeks the sloppy errors were not on show.
    Paul O'Donoghue and Darragh Fitzpatrick came on with 30 left, Fitzpatrick showed how good a 10 he is, constantly drilling the ball behind the YM back 3 in true RoG style. POD hadnt played in months and it showed.

with garryowen and lansdowne losing the league has opened up, although Shannon's miserable run has continued.

Clontarf have Lansdowne under lights this friday night coming....rumours due to lack of upcoming Leinster games a certain european player of the year will be making his comeback for Clontarf...

Lansdowne were very good against Cons for period but Cons strength prevailed, my concern was Lansdownes failure to close out with a big lead. If rumours are true and SOB returns to Tarf for that fixture friday night, than Lansdowne better get practicing there tackle technique............and quickly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ulsterbankleague/27620.php

Foster Horan pictured here playing for Lansdowne, I thought he was over at London Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ulsterbankleague/27620.php

Foster Horan pictured here playing for Lansdowne, I thought he was over at London Irish?

He was only there on trial. Seems he was released early though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭good_afternoon

any thoughts on the link between referee and linesmen?? the first tarf try came from a tarf player pulling the YM 9s hand, the linesmen both saw it but ref would not listen. lots of other little things happened where the linesmen needed to have an input. Apparently they were told by ref A.R. to show him where the ball goes out and nothing else. Bit of a joke if you ask me.

Advertisement