Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Dcully wrote: »
    Turned a corner then hit a brick wall as it got round,the brick wall being max level, i got bored silly within days of maxing out.
    Theres only so much mindless zergfest wvw i can tolerate,as for world exploration not my cup of tea at all.
    I totally loved leveling up in GW2 it was fantastic but thats as much as i got out of the game.
    Not every game is for everybody, people need to understand this.

I agree but that was my point in the first place. I was simply pointing out to the previous poster that it is not just simply a PvP game.

The way the game was designed from the start was not have any barriers to experiencing the content, such as having to reach max level to get to the end game raids. This is why your character is scaled to the content of the zone you are in. The world is packed with content you just have to explore the world and follow dynamic event chains through. At level 80 there is no barrier to going to some mid level zone and playing through its content(In fact there is some pretty epic DQ's in them). Here is a list of all the zone Meta events that are a collection of Dynamic events that tell the story of a zone. The fact that your level is scaled to the content of the zone means that there is no shortage in content to complete once ya hit 80! If you have experienced all these Meta events by 80 then I tip my cap to you!

I agree that this is not every bodies cup of tea but my point is that you will see more and more games following the GW2 model. Slowly peoples mindset will change that they have to race to level x to start to experience the real game or grind to get the epic lewt! This is down to the subscription model that GW2 uses. Subscription based games like WoW need to keep you hooked so their system works brilliantly for them. Nothing stopping people from taking a break for a while in GW2 then rolling an alt. What their subscription comes down to is if you enjoyed it enough to buy the expansions or use the in game store to buy more character slots/storage/Vanity gear etc...

Apples and Oranges.

As for the Zergfest there is a simple way to cure that. Join an organised guild/server. I recently moved to a more organised server and have really started to enjoy WvW again (Gunnars -> Blacktide). Of course WvW can get boring eventually but there is also SPvP and expansions that are going to add more WvW content in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Does anybody know where I can get a digital copy of GW2? I need a site that accepts laser as well so it's proving tough to find!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Lukebray wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can get a digital copy of GW2? I need a site that accepts laser as well so it's proving tough to find!

I don't think there are any sites that accept laser for dig d/l your best bet would be to order it off the gamestop website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I've leveled 4 classes to 80, first 2 the guardian and warrior were fun. Ranger and mage were pants, both are now wearing exotic armor etc.

I have no real desire to play any more classes, After 30 there really isn't much change to game play style.

As far as content is concerned it sets a nice back drop, as far as interest is concerned; what keeps me playing is the ability to play a class in many different ways and use many different builds, this is what is missing from guildwars 2.

Starting to look forward to the star wars mmorpg going ftp, might even fire up age of conan again. The characters in gw2 are just too boring to play for long periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

fair points mate, but did you really toy around with your classes. take warrior and ele for example. warrior can use 2xaxes or greatsword for big melee dps, rifle for huge ST ranged dmg or longbow for combo fileds and aoe, ive used 1h sword and mace and warhorn in wvw alot and win most 1v1s. Ive got mace and shield and traited 'shouts are heals and clean conditions' and got like 40k health and tanked runs and healed my grp.

on ele you can be a normal staff dpser or healer, or you can trait all into earth and cantrips n stuff, and tank runs aswell :P
    Or just go dagger dps and trait the teleport and build up aoe and jump around using it etc.

Just saying all the classes do have alot of variety to them you just gota look into em, changing a weapon alone wont change your gameplay much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Nah, there really isn't that much depth at all to the different characters... at least thats my opinion from playing guardian and some ele.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I've leveled 4 classes to 80, first 2 the guardian and warrior were fun. Ranger and mage were pants, both are now wearing exotic armor etc.

I have no real desire to play any more classes, After 30 there really isn't much change to game play style.

As far as content is concerned it sets a nice back drop, as far as interest is concerned; what keeps me playing is the ability to play a class in many different ways and use many different builds, this is what is missing from guildwars 2.

Starting to look forward to the star wars mmorpg going ftp, might even fire up age of conan again. The characters in gw2 are just too boring to play for long periods of time.

i disagree. i have tried loads of characters as well and each character offers lots of variety and builds.

Dont forget, depending on what weapons u use, you have different types of skills and combinations. Mixed with different trait/util skills and that is just for one class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭shootermacg

No not much dept at all. In other mmorpgs you have so much choice when creating a character.
    As far as weapon set skills are concerned, I'm not retarded, I'm quite aware of the fact.
    As far as trait points go some of the traits are so overpowered or work so well with other traits it really makes no sense to sway from the one or two cookie cutters builds, pistol whip thief anyone, signet war, (quickness, bull's rush + 100 blades), crit condition ranger, greatsword/hammer heal guardian with blindness up 50% of the time?

My point being that most of the builds are either one of the above or are not as effective as they could be.

Each class has at most 2 maybe 2.5 optimal build variations. Most classes switch to ranged in dungeons for most of the time, some dude wanted to play a dagger thief in cof the other day, needless to say he spent quite a lot of silver fixing his armor, before he settled on the bow.

I do have faith in anet after all they did make gw1 which is a masterpiece of pvp innovation. How do they fix the issues as they stand? Simple, allow a secondary class.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

It seems they have gone from one extreme in GW1 to the other in GW2. There were so many skills to chose from in GW1 they had to nerf/buff constantly just to get some sort of balance in the meta. Looks like the they have tried to counter this in GW2 by tying the first 5 skills to the weapons.

When I first heard of the weapons skill system I was very sceptical, as were most player from GW1. On one hand it is good, allowing every build a player uses to be somewhat useful, whereas in GW1 noob builds rendered a player useless.
    On the other less customisation and a reliance on the first 5 skills on your skill bar and not much else.

My number one must have feature of the expansions are new weapon skill bars. No denying the games gets stale if you are using the first 5 skills/play style all the way to level 80

I honestly dont mean to come off as some sort of elitist brat or anything, but saying chars dont have depth, then stating signet war and listing 3 of its glass cannon skills and saying it like anything else is a lost cause just boggles my mind. That build is the weakest war build u can have, theres a reason alot of mean gits out there ask for warrs in grp but not warrs sporting a signet build. I love coming across a heavy signet build warrior in spvp and wvw, as they are just meat to the grinder, it suggests to me someone really hasnt tried to utilise their class but instead just tried to get big hit dps and ignore every other extremely important aspect of their build.

It suggests to me you really havnt looked into the classes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I honestly dont mean to come off as some sort of elitist brat or anything, but saying chars dont have depth, then stating signet war and listing 3 of its glass cannon skills and saying it like anything else is a lost cause just boggles my mind. That build is the weakest war build u can have, theres a reason alot of mean gits out there ask for warrs in grp but not warrs sporting a signet build. I love coming across a heavy signet build warrior in spvp and wvw, as they are just meat to the grinder, it suggests to me someone really hasnt tried to utilise their class but instead just tried to get big hit dps and ignore every other extremely important aspect of their build.

It suggests to me you really havnt looked into the classes

Hes still not lying, compared to nearly every MMO i've played, the game lacks some serious character/skill depth... its pretty much designed for noobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Magill wrote: »
    ... its pretty much designed for noobs.

Or the casual player... not all of us have 40+ hours a week to devote to a game anymore. Game suits my needs and I'm happy with it as I'm sure many other like me are. If you want depth and grind then WoW beckons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I don't think that's the case, I think its more designed for the user who doesn't have 100's of hours to devote to it, like you really need with WoW. I know it would suit me down to the ground like GW1. For me, the grind to 85 in WoW is torturous , and I just cant do it, got to 78 and just thought, im not enjoying this at all, why am I playing this?

Meesared wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case, I think its more designed for the user who doesn't have 100's of hours to devote to it, like you really need with WoW. I know it would suit me down to the ground like GW1. For me, the grind to 85 in WoW is torturous , and I just cant do it, got to 78 and just thought, im not enjoying this at all, why am I playing this?

Well I'm convinced that people grind because they have nothing better to do. At some point mmo's became more about how much time you had to sink doing repetitive skill-less tasks and less about having fun. I enjoyed WoW very little apart from when it launched. DAoC was fantastic until it introduced a grind expansion (ToA), Eve has always been a grind of some sort. GW2 has noticed that there seems to be a gap in the market for a non grindy and fun focused mmo and has implemented their vision quite successfully imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Playboy wrote: »
    Well I'm convinced that people grind because they have nothing better to do. At some point mmo's became more about how much time you had to sink doing repetitive skill-less tasks and less about having fun. I enjoyed WoW very little apart from when it launched. DAoC was fantastic until it introduced a grind expansion (ToA), Eve has always been a grind of some sort. GW2 has noticed that there seems to be a gap in the market for a non grindy and fun focused mmo and has implemented their vision quite successfully imo.
    My point exactly :)

Magill wrote: »
    Hes still not lying, compared to nearly every MMO i've played, the game lacks some serious character/skill depth... its pretty much designed for noobs.

Well ive played prob every mainstream mmo theres been and Id disagree with that statement :)
    If anything it takes more work and exp with a class to get good then alot of mmos due to the amount of pvp, and we all know an encounter in a 1v1 or a 2v2 will always take far more effort and work to win then any pve fight. Wether a raid an instance or a really hard quest mob etc..
    Ignoring zergs, pvp is the real place to hone your skills in a mmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Or the casual player... not all of us have 40+ hours a week to devote to a game anymore. Game suits my needs and I'm happy with it as I'm sure many other like me are. If you want depth and grind then WoW beckons

There is a substantial difference in the point he is making. Grinding has nothing to do with anything, there is no skill base or cap to doing that.

The point he is making is in relation to how little there is to each class, to which I agree with. But at the same time, because they ditched the tank/healer/dps setup, and every class can do everything, they are going to feel the same.

Could do with a bit of a mashup or mixup down the line. There is not dpeth as others have set. You use about 3-6 spells at most, and to optimise it is normally only ever spamming 2-3 which is a bit monotonous.

The idea for the spells and the way you use them was a good gimmick and worked for the first while, and then instantly gets monotonous which is just weird for an MMO

this+

i still play it and only level 40. got the game on launc but u see, i do have a life outside gaming and responsibilities and a day job to pay the bills. i can no longer play a game like im playing a game full time every day for 7-8 hours each.

Sorry lads. i cant do that anymore

TheDoc wrote: »
    There is a substantial difference in the point he is making. Grinding has nothing to do with anything, there is no skill base or cap to doing that.

The point he is making is in relation to how little there is to each class, to which I agree with. But at the same time, because they ditched the tank/healer/dps setup, and every class can do everything, they are going to feel the same.

Could do with a bit of a mashup or mixup down the line. There is not dpeth as others have set. You use about 3-6 spells at most, and to optimise it is normally only ever spamming 2-3 which is a bit monotonous.

The idea for the spells and the way you use them was a good gimmick and worked for the first while, and then instantly gets monotonous which is just weird for an MMO

I disagree. i have played and have 5 chars that i am leveling up and each character/class is different. different skills, different weapons, different armour, different skill traits etc etc.

i fail to see why people say every class feels and plays the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

so what is there to do at level 80 in this game?

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    so what is there to do at level 80 in this game?

And what was there to do in pretty much all MMO's at top level when the game first come out?

TheDoc wrote: »

Completely disagree... There is huge variance in the amount of ways you can play a character... A warrior has 5 trait lines for instance and depending on how he specs can be an offensive dps, a support char, a hybrid, a ranged dps etc etc. It's also very simple to respec and play your class in a different way. In other mmo's you were tied usually to one or two very specific roles and at the end game you played with a cookie cutter build or you didnt get a group. GW2 i comparison is a fairly new game and imo people are still getting to grips with all the potential possibilities for the characters in terms of playstyle and builds.

Completely disagree... There is huge variance in the amount of ways you can play a character... A warrior has 5 trait lines for instance and depending on how he specs can be an offensive dps, a support char, a hybrid, a ranged dps etc etc. It's also very simple to respec and play your class in a different way. In other mmo's you were tied usually to one or two very specific roles and at the end game you played with a cookie cutter build or you didnt get a group. GW2 i comparison is a fairly new game and imo people are still getting to grips with all the potential possibilities for the characters in terms of playstyle and builds.

this. well said.

this is exactly what i feel too. the game offers lots of variety in just one race/class.

the game is fantastic and offers as much depth as any MMO u play but it has that "fun factor" not that "grind factor" to me.

most things in the game have purpose and offers lots of variety and dynamics to it compared to WOW and other mmo's i have played.

It is also one of the first MMO's that makes teaming up with lower or higher levels then u easier due to the way levelling is scaled down depending on the area u do, dungeon or world events.

Im only level 40 and many of my guild members are maxed 80 and i can team up and dom dungeons, hearts, special events(halloween) etc etc together.

Its the best game hands down that i have played of its genra,

Great dynamic content, great gameplay, amazing game world design and great graphics and art work.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

I'm going to have to agree with jonneymendoza.

I've cranked in around 500 hours played so far and im not even a small bit bored i love it. There is so much to do and it makes playing with my friends a breeze.

Also i do not need to grind hundreds of hours to participate in raids.

I've played wow and other mmo's for years and years and hands down Guild Wars 2 is the best imo.

Why are you still posting here the doc lol, you've said several times gw2 has nothing for you and is an empty game and cant compare to wow in x y and x comparisons about 100 times. Just waiting to pounce on any negative post and agree with it :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm still loving the game too,level 62 warrior,my first character still,gonna reroll after I've got him to 80,the only problem is i'm kinda addicted to euro truck simulator too :o so gw 2 hasn't been shown alot of love the last week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

prob is 2day is there too many decent games to play! for me its still arma2 normal/dayz

And what was there to do in pretty much all MMO's at top level when the game first come out?

pve elements, instances / dungeons, raids, rep stuff, pvp etc.

is there any group events at 80, kinda like dungeons?

copeyhagen wrote: »
    pve elements, instances / dungeons, raids, rep stuff, pvp etc.

is there any group events at 80, kinda like dungeons?

Yes dungeons or events in orr i guess, not sure what you want tbh

• Advertisement

Yes dungeons or events in orr i guess, not sure what you want tbh

whats orr?!

but yeh, thats soemthing that would keep me busy at 80 :D

Advertisement