Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Started with the 4 hour pacers but faded at the 30 km mark ( wall anyone). Finished in just under 4:13 so have a target to aim at for the next one. Crowds were fantastic especially from fosters avenue onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

well that was some experience. Thanks to one and all on boards for keeping me going when times were tough in training. Thanks to the very nice 5 hour pacers as well. I found it a lot harder than i thought i would, once i hit clonskeagh i felt like death. did a mixture of walking and running from then on. supporters were amazing at keeping spirits up. the very nice girl who gave me a mini mars bar at nutley lane because i was crying because 'chocolate makes everything feel better'.

it took me 5 hours 25 minutes and i am thrilled beyond belief that i ran a marathon. didnt make it to mcgrattans as i could hardly move at that stage. will catch up with everyone again at some stage..maybe next years improvers thread? :D

sitting here shaking and a bit disoriented so hope this post is coherent!!

Your a legend Jinx, anyone can do it when its' easy, digging in when it hurts is what takes balls, ye left nothing out there, ye did your self proud.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Jaysus that's some report, I'm too tired to type, will give a full report tommorrow. Thank you for the 20 miles it was great fun, enjoyed it immensely which I'm sure I wouldn't have without the company. Did 4.56.06. My clubmate was having a big problem with her foot from UCD and walked a fair bit from there. Real pity cos her legs were strong. I stuck with her and slow jogged whenever she had to walk. We finished strongly. You played a blinder walkedit and deserved your great time. Heartbreak hill, what hill?

Fair play to you, helped your buddy to get home and still got your sub 5 target, classic - well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

The 4.15 pacers brought me out & the 4.30 pacers brought me home!

Finished 4.30.30

Big sore legs from mile 15 onwards, dropped the speed & walked a couple of times. Fosters Ave to the finish was really tough, didn't expect it to be so hard.

I am now a marathon runner, Yay!

I ran with a boardsie through the park (Robert?) hope you finished strong mate, thanks for saying hello.

That was me Killian. Yes it is Robert but my friends call me Robbie. It was nice to meet you.Glad to hear you got through it ok. Lost the 4:15 group at Clonskeagh and came home in 4:27:10...not my target time but PB nonetheless. See you on the "improvers" thread next year!

folan wrote: »
    i stopped to help a girl whos legs went from under her around 19 miles. anyone know her? it was near the icc? stayed with her as long as i thought i was useful.

made my time, happy out.

not planning on doing another

Good on ye - one & done - not as easily seduced as many here myself included.
    It's nice that you helped that girl - and still made your time wicked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Like most other people I'm far too wrecked to write a race report now.....but boy are we all gonna have a lot of reading tomorrow! :)

Finished in 4:38 and target was 4:30...I thought I'd care a lot more that i didn't make my time....but I couldn't give a toss.....I know where my mistakes were and I'm defo gonna be having another bash....with all I've learned over the last 3 months I know I'm now in a better position to go sub 4.

But now I'm gonna concentrate on shorter and faster races over the winter!

Well done to everyone. We're al fn awesome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

What a day guys. Personally an achievement that I always thought about but never thought I'd do it.

To the crowds: Thank you. To the kids looking for high fives, to the sign writers, to the cheerers and me taking sweets from strangers. I ran with a mate who enjoyed the Pehonix Park, which I have to say is lovely. We are from Donegal so dont run it obviously. But for me personally, coming out of the park to the cheering crowds again was awesome.

I had a plan. Stick between the 4:15 flags and the 4:30 flags, and it worked for me. I knew my hams and knes would be screaming in the later miles. I ran the first half in 2:10 and the second in 2:17, for a finishing time of 4:27:43. my target was 4:30 so happy as Larry.

If any of you has ever watched that film Truman with Jim Carey. When they turn him off at the end <spoiler> everyone that watches says.... what will we do now? That's how I feel at the moment. I have read this thread every day, and in the last week, every minute. Thanks everyone for your input. It certaintly led to an enjoyable marathon experience for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Well done to everyone who finished today, it certainly wasn't easy!

I didn't get any sleep last night but thankfully had two good sleeps the nights beforehand. Every time I nodded off a car would pull into the apartment block or a door would bang. It was a very frustrating night between the bank holiday and the nerves.

I got a lift in this morning and ended up picking up some random marathoner from a bus stop who looked very stressed, he obviously didn't know Dublin Bus were running a Sunday service.

When I got in I went looking for the bag drop and bumped into Shortie_chick and Fifi, said a brief hello, good luck and went on my way. I was intent on following the 4.15 pacers so started my race up near them.

I found it a bit crowded around the pacers so decided to run ahead of them at around mile 7. I was never really far ahead of them though.
    I was feeling really great especially around mile 14. I even managed to high 5 a few kiddies.

I got to mile 17 and then the ankles started feeling a little sore. Mile 19 I was still just ahead of the pacers. Then it started...I got to mile 20 and they overtook me. I was starting to get tired and slowed down, though not at a very high rate.
    I got to heartbreak hill and was starting to feel very slightly disorientated. When I got to the top I heard someone shouting at everyone and thought that can only be my sister :rolleyes:
    She brought me a banana and ran with me for a few hundred metres. She came just when I really needed some support. It was great :)

Mile 21 to 22 I found never ending. I thought it was like 2 miles instead of 1. From 22 onwards I wasn't too bad knowing I was homeward bound.
    During this time I got chatting to a fellow runner about a mad looking couple who were playing something like a Ukulele and were dressed really weird and had a music stand in the middle of the path...lol it was odd looking.
    Then the fellow runner guy stopped and I turned around to him and told him he had to keep running or he would end up walking the rest of the way. (I ended up meeting him at the finish later, he was home and dry well before me and was thanking me for getting him going again :rolleyes:)

Just after this time (mile 23), I remember trying to bend my fingers but I couldn't. I looked at them and they had swollen to a huge size and this was freaking me out. I had hands like the Nutty Professor! For the next mile I kept looking at my hands and toying with the idea of stopping at St Johns guys to ask if this was normal. I decided it can't be that bad if I'm still running and feeling okay.
    Sometimes I don't think I'm playing with the full deck :D

Mile 25, I spotted my friend holding a sign up for me which was great to see, then further on I heard a voice shouting at me, turned around and it was a girl I went to primary school with and hadn't seen since then...it was so random.

Mile 26 and again I could hear more shouting and screaming...yes it was my family :D. I have to say it was very emotional and uplifting.

I finished shortly after this at a time of 4.22, only 7 mins behind the pacers. I'm happy with this, though thinking back now...I don't think the mid week runs done much for me, just the long ones really.

I ended up having a good bit of support coming in to meet me so didn't get a chance to go to Mc Grattans. I hope you all had a ball.

The jury is still out about running another marathon but I would defo like to join a club and maybe improve my shorter distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Target: Sub-4. Actual: 4:02

What a day. Lined up maybe 50 yards behing the 4-hour pacers. That was a mistake - only ever got closer to them when a couple of them took pee stops in the park. But kept them in range till the hill at Roebuck. I had a slow kilometer or two there - must have been very slow because when I looked down the long downhill vista of Fosters Ave they were nowhere to be seen. Still, according to my watch I was still on pace, somehow. But that only lasted till the RDS, at which point, even though I was passing dozens and dozens of walkers and other casualties, I was slowing myself and just couldn't get the mojo in gear enough to get back on track. So in the end I think I was done in by Heartbreak Hill, which serves me right for poo-pooing it in recent weeks!

Fantastic crowds along the route and especially in the final 3k. Finished in 4:02. Yesterday I would have thought I would be very disappointed by that. Today, not at all - it was what I had in me today. Besides, you can't be too fussy when 16 months ago you couldn't run 1k and were smoking 20 fags a day.

Passed an awful lot of people in trouble over the last 10k, which shows you how hard a sub-4 can be. Well done to all of you who hit your number, or got close! Checked out McGrattans but not too many runners in there at the time - headed instead to Doheny's for a fabulous few pints it has to be said.

Well done y'all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Runchick wrote: »
    Target was 4.30, finished in 4.27, absolutely delighted but too knackered to write a race report just yet! Well done everyone, some amazing running done today :D

Thats brilliant! Imagine what time you would've done without injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Finished in 4:29, really happy as it was 45 mins better than last year. Hit the HM mark at 2:02 and felt great. At mile 21 my hips started to go on fire and I slowed to nearly 12 min pace and was in a lot of pain for the last 5 miles. Strange feeling as I'd plenty left in the tank but the old hip flexors didn't want to know. The crowd were absolutely amazing, put my name on my tshirt and I felt like a superstar. We should be very proud of the people in our great city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Wow yesterday was unreal. Its 1.45 a.m and I am fresh as a daisy :eek: This may not seem like such a good idea when I have to get up later......

Coming into the race I was in great shape. I didn't seem to have any taper madness (very disappointed!) but I had a horrible fall in the point to point the previous Sunday. My horse took off way too early for the fence. Hit the fence, somersaulted over it and we both hit the ground at speed. I knew the Gods were smiling on me though when I didn't even break my collarbone and the pain in my ribs was gone by Wednesday :D

I was very confident about the Sub 4 so I wasn't nervous or anything. I came up to Dublin on Sunday and stayed in the Sandymount hotel. Its 2 minutes from the Lansdowne Rd dart station. Ideal really. Had to force feed pasta into myself on Sunday evening watching the Man U game. Couldn't even manage desert :eek: Slept great and when I woke up at 6.30 I didn't feel like breakfast so I had a banana and the packet of Cheerios I got in the goody bag from the expo. I hadn't been drinking loads of water, just to thirst, cause I was hoping during the race I wouldn't need to use the loos. I drank about half a bottle of water and kept the rest for the race so I could bypass the first 2 water stations (I think it was Menoscemo who suggested this....genius) I got the Dart and was at the start about 8. After I dropped my bag and used the loo, I was wandering along (in the wrong direction) looking for the start when I bumped into Blockic. You looked really psyched up btw!

I got to my pen and lined up right next to the 4 hr pacers. I didn't find it massively conjested but once the gun went off I was soon about 100m behind them. For the first 3 miles they were in front of me and then once I caught up with them I stuck to them like a bad rash! Nothing really exciting happened during the race. No toilet issues thankfully :) I think a couple of people near the pacers fell over early on but I didn't see them. I was so focused on conserving energy while keeping with pacers I didn't even talk that much! Around halfway I got a bit of a cramp in my leg but when I did a little sprint it went away again. I took gels at 5, 11, 16 and 20 miles. They were gross :( Can hardly bear the sight of them now. Still they did the job. At the ucd flyover I said goodbye to the pacers (in my head) and started to push on. This was my favourite bit of the race. Picking targets and passing them. Around mile 24 though I was hurting and the game was starting to get tiresome. I was still passing people but the pace had dropped a bit. About mile 25 I felt the blister on my big toe burst. It didn't hurt too much and when I saw the wonderous sight of the finishing line that was all I could focus on. Crossed the line just in front of another lady in 3:57:49. Turns out that lady was ncmc...how random is that?!

I hobbled along to McGrattans, found a chair and didn't move for the next hour while stuffing myself with fish and chips :o Met loads of boardsies. Ye're all sound :D Blockic and Jprender came in (both ran savage times) and PM. Stayed until bout 6 and then got train home. Was wearing my medal and loads of random people were saying well done. Felt like a bit of a celebrity :D

So thats it. Have just signed up for the half in Waterford on Dec 1st. Might start a training log....it'd probably be boring though. Just me falling off horses all the time :rolleyes: I guess I'll see you all on the improvers thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Target Time 3:45
    Actual Time 3:48:07

Was waiting for a quiet time of reflection and turns out its 3 in the morning having been woken by pain.
    Firstly thanks to you all for the last 11 months or so and congrats to you all, by all accounts you were all terrific.

Things did not good quite to plan. Felt pretty good for the most part, cruised along with the 3:45 pacers until 20 miles and then disaster. Got cramp in my right hamstring and lost 3 or 4 minutes by the roadside trying to get loose, unmerciful pain. Have to say it was the worst minutes i've ever experienced....watching the pacers go and i thought my race was run.

Got going again and plan B kicked in......get in under 3:50. The next 5 miles were a blur, a full on assault on the senses. I hit the first clock on the way in and saw 3:56...and was devastated...could not believe I lost so much time. Hit the home stretch and saw my wife and heard her screaming at me...so I kicked again and then disaster again...both hamstrings cramped and it was hell. Standing against the barrier between 2 photographers...in pieces. And then I spotted a race stewart heading my way. I remember him saying "you ok" and me saying " hammies are gone". He said "What you want to do?" and i just blurted out " f**king finish".

So the last couple of hundred meters were savage. Over the line, 3:58:something and then I met a guy from enniscorthy I had run with at the half marathon there. He said he had done 3:48:something behind me...I was confused then and he explained we set off 10 minutes later...and then the tears came and I can honestly say i did not give a crap.

I learned more yesterday about myself and racing than I could have ever learned from a good race. My parents, wife and kids think its out of my system...I haven't the heart to tell them its only the start..... Now then, where's that neurofen!

Oh and if any of you are running in waterford on the first...see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Anyone else wide awake ridiculously early this morning? Hello body, you ran a marathon yesterday, why oh why do you want to be wide awake from 4.30am!? Good chance to write a race report I suppose....

So I went to this thing a bag of nerves, very concious that I was 120 miles undertrained through injury and had missed a few crucial long runs, but nonetheless I was for giving it a go. Started just in front of the 4.30 pacers and basically stayed there the whole time. The first 17 miles were nothing less than amazing. I think I smiled the whole way and really savoured the atmosphere. The most memorable part on this section for me was going along a long, leafy suburban street somewhere between 14 and 15 miles. It was eerily still and quiet, the only sound being the light thud thud of runner's footsteps, one of those times when you remember why you love to run.

Anyway everything was grand until mile 18 when my legs just turned to jelly! I guess this was my wall so I stubbornly ignored it and focussed on keeping up my pace. The worst of it passed after a few minutes but the rest of the run was hard. 18-22 was probably the worst..I'm convinced someone moved the mile markers much further apart at this section! The only thing that kept me going for the last 4 miles was that I was still running and passing a lot of folk. Realising that there were others obviously feeling a lot worse spurred me on, and the amazing support from the crowd those last few miles helped too of course! Crossing that line was amazing and brought a tear to my eye. To see 4.27 on the clock was amazing. Once I stopped my hip locked up and I could hardly walk, so I staggered to get changed, quietly smiling at all the other folk hobbling about. I watched one guy try for about 5 minutes to bend down to change his socks, he simply couldn't so gave up on the idea!!

I went to McGrattans with my family and cheer squad. Wasn't sure who the boardies were so didn't get to meet any of you this time but hopefully will another time. Will I do it again, hell yes. Looking at May marathons now but hope to squeeze in a few 10kms and a half before that. The finish line yesterday was only the start. I'm absolutely hooked and already excited about the next one. Plan for May, smart training, stay injury free, go sub-4. I've learned so much about myself and running over these past few months. Thank you all for this amazing thread, looking forward to the next chapter as improvers! Well done everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

Yesterday was amazing!! I still can't believe I did it!! Although my legs are confirming I certainly did - cant say I'm looking forward to the cycle into work this morning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I was very confident about the Sub 4

So tell us your finishing time

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Obviously trained my body a bit TOO well for yesterdays' early start and was wide awake at 6am today, grr... Seems like a few others here in the same boat!

Target: 4.45, Actual: 4.51, do I care? No!
    Absolutely loved it (despite the tough bits) and already trying to figure out when I can do another...

Started off on a not too positive note what with the wrong race number and all (tx for the msgs here). Lady in the info tent's look of horror when told her did NOT inspire me...:eek: Thankfully called over another woman who took my details and said she'd sort out to change over - and sure enough, few mins after crossing the finish line I got a text with my times:D Checked the website this morning and they have it updated with my name which is great (although it does say i'm from N Irl so think just a name swap there!)

Headed in with Curr33 and met up with Shortie_chik in baggage area. Rasher_m - nice to see you there again after our 8 miler in the park 2 wks ago - congrats on your time! Great to meet Walkedkit & DeeDee just in front of the 5hr pacers, you both did great! Walkedit- sounds like we finished v closely, pity didn't see each other in the last stretch (was eyes on the ground for me anyway..)

We decided to take it gentle for first mile or so - so gentle in fact that we suddenly noticed the 5hr pacers had overtaken us:eek: so mad scramble to get back behind them.... Absolutely packed so at bout mile 2 myself and Shortie_chik pushed forward just ahead of them and moved into our 4.45 pace. Close to group of clowns with balloons round their necks for a good part of the park - their banter was hilarious :D

Had felt slightly nauseous from the start with knot in my stomach (nerves I think) but managed to stick with our pace up to the halfway mark although found crumlin rd a bit tough (darn gentle gradient..). Brilliant celebrations at the halfway mark outside superquinn there, bouncy castles & BBQ's, even to a vegetarian the smell of sausages was yum....

Round the 14 mile and found things getting decidedly tougher.. still on pace but I started to feel weak & shaky.. Running in my t-shirt and arm and hands started to go numb - started to panic that I was gonna hit 'the wall' ( and 4 miles too early...) :eek: Cue a few moans to shortie_chik and stern talking to myself of 'don't be ridiculous, its probably physiologically impossible to do that so early'. Anyway, long sleeve top back on to warm me up and took another gel and managed to keep going... Gels were making my stomach turn though but as was so paranoid bout actually hitting the wall had to keep up sipping them so spent the next 2 hrs running while leaning forward trying to not to throw them back up again (so if you saw a girl in pink top looking like a hunchback that was me:p)

Family at mile 15 with a sign for me which was a real boost but we started to slow at mile 16 then... took our time and started to feel like a nice LSR again and started to get some energy back. Feeling stronger as we approached the 20 mile mark (and no sign of 'The Wall') yet so said goodbye to shortie_chik and pushed on. Heartbreak hill was tough but had arranged friends & other half to be on Fosters avenue so gave me motivation to get up and over then loved running down the hill towards them, waving my arms like a lunatic..(would def recommend to have people waiting for you here!)

At this stage knew my 4.45 wasn't achievable as still struggling with the nausea so had new aim - run a marathon non stop! After the excitement of seeing friends got tougher and from mile 23 was seriously struggling...Pain all down my left leg and esp the knee (never had problem there before), blisters on my right foot.. toughest though was mentally thinking to myself AGES till the finish line and being on your own doesn't help the motivation...:( Decided to start counting so head down and just doing 1-100 11 times for each mile to get me through it. Lots of people walking at that stage..Crowd were amazing but i could barely look up.. EVENTUALLY, got to mile 25 but I swear that was then the longest mile on the course, so near yet still so far.......

Final run around Trinity was brill - crowds were going wild, could finally look up and managed to speed up a bit. Heard my name few hundred yards form end - friends & OH had dashed back to see me finish :D Have never been more delighted to see a finish line in my life... crossed over then promptly half collapsed over some railings.. poor ambulance woman came over to check on me but just needed a min Such an amazing feeling to finish it.... wasn't emotional, just v v happy with big grin on my face (although did nearly cry when told me only large size t-shirts left - did they not learn from the race series? tons of women after me so id say a lot of disappointed people).

Funnily enough, spent the bulk of the race imaging the yummy food and chilled glass of wine id have at the end then actually couldn't face anything after bar my recovery shake.... great form but v sleepy so had to give McGrattens a miss and head home. Pity to have missed mtg up with those who were there - hope you enjoyed yourselves!

Felt could have done it faster if not for feeling so sick throughout but glad it went the way it did - kept in my head everything been said here bout don't aim for time, just finish so stuck with that and as a result finished really positively and happy. Big thing for me was fear of the unknown going that distance so now I've done it be more comfortable pushing myself more next time... (yes I'm now addicted to marathon running.... :D)

Can't believe almost 5 months of effort and its all over:( Will really miss the camaraderie and motivation from here (plus what will I check on the computer now....???) Hope everyone else got a big smile on their face now like me and that great sense of achievement that we actually did it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great reports everyone, some fantastic races there.
    What to do next?
    Take it easy this week, but don't just sit on the couch. Easy walking will help you recover.
    Set a day for your next very easy run, whether that's one week or two weeks from now, and stick to it. Don't wake up in January and realise you haven't run since the marathon and you've lost all your fitness. You don't need to set your next target yet, or decide if it's a marathon or shorter race, just make sure you don't fall out of the habit of running.
    No races for a month, and no hard running sessions for a month either. All easy runs until December. (If you're in Dublin, the Donore Harriers Jingle Bells 5k is a popular first-post-marathon race)
    Join a running club (I'm a bit of a pest about this :)) No-one ever thinks they're good enough to join a club, but you are all marathon runners now! Any club would be glad to have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Finished in 4:17 target was 4:15 but kinda hoping for maybe 4:10. I started out and ran a bit ahead of the 4:15 pacers and was about 5 - 7 mins ahead of the 4:15 pace at the half way mark. Still running quite comfortably and I must admit the hills clonskeagh and Roebuck were not as bad as expected and I was able to maintain a nice steady pace on the climbs.

I started to wane a bit coming in merrion road and was eventually caught by the 4:15 pacers at the RDS. I ran with them for awhile, but in the last 2-3 Km they pulled away so I came in two mins behind them but still over the moon with the run.
    The occasion was fantastic with great support and it was brilliant to wake up this morning having completed a marathon.

My next challenge is to fit into the Size L marathon T-Shirts. I think someone else mentioned the same thing - for size L they are quite small.
    Maybe there are different sizing criteria for marathon runners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭Trampas

4.19.43 after my 4 hour target so a little disappointed with that.

Start was slow. We walked around the 1st corner. It was funny watching the blokes making a dash for the 1st lane.

2.01.04 so only slightly behind. I blame the pits stop in the park for that but over the next few miles my left thigh started to really give me pain so decided to scrap the time and make sure I get home.

I think seeing people getting into and in ambulance made me make sure to go enough to get me home than over doing it and not making it.

Of course my right thigh muscle went also I probably started to favour my right leg due to the pain.

After I made sure I took on water at the stations when they arrived and might mean even walking for a min just to make sure I got the fluids in so.

Coming down Nutley Lane I said to some kid give us your bike and he didn't find it a bit funny but the person beside found it.

The Merrion road is a right drag.

Great support along the way some parts near the finish if felt a bit to close especially around the 25mile marker.

After I finished I didn't feel wrecked as such but my legs were just shot to pieces. Trying to bend my legs was a effort even back a small amount.

Things I have learned I need to build up my core and legs muscles.

I'll look over the weekend where next to run and get back into running again properly next week. Walking and some slight jogging this week.

I am delighted I have ran a marathon and I think I will run another. Not sure where or when but probably around a years time as spring is probably just to close but I guess it really depends on what you want to get out of it. Getting around or a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

FINISH TIME 3:34 BOOM :D:D:D:D:D

What a day? Nothing can describe the emotions I went through yesterday. Woke up feeling very fresh and was delighted to see the weather was being good to us, cool and no wind perfect weather conditions. My boyfriend walked me down to the race start and I was feeling pretty calm and excited. After all my debating about what wave to start in having an orange bib Id wanted to follow 3.45 pacers but they weren't in until wave 2. A good friend recommended just go run my own race as I was entering the unknown and anything under the 4hour mark would have been a bonus. So lined up in wave one 3/4s of way down. Met a lovely man at start, asked was he a boardies but disappointedly he wasn't.
    Found I'd plenty of room from the start, could see how easily you could get pulled away with the crowd but my plan was to take it easy from off and push on if felt good. Found it quiet difficult to keep slower at times. At the half way mark I knew I was on schedule for a sub 3.45 but anything could go wrong. Luckily I managed to keep the pace. The crowds were absolutely unbelieveable, I felt like a celebrity everytime I heard my name, they really did Dublin and this country proud. Anytime I felt low and believe you me from Milltown on I was really feeling the pain and on hearing my name I'd push on again and try pass a few others. The last few miles are a bit of a blur again hearing the support was unbelieveable, on seeing the finish line in the distance I was beaming and felt unreal pushing for the finish. Crossing the line in a chip time of 3.34 I felt on top of the world :D
    Once over the line the jelly legs kicked in and can safely say walking back to the hotel was nearly harder than the running, was comicial watching everyone hobbling. Got myself an extra small tshirt I probably should have gone for a small. Even if it looks like a belly top Ill be wearing it with pride for the week:)
    A huge thank you to all the marshalls again so friendly and helpful. To all who gave me jellies, cheering and atmosphere again I can't stress what a difference they made. To my own family and friends for listening to my obsession the last few weeks. And lastly to you my boards family I really don't think I'd have gotten through the last few weeks especially without this thread, sometimes I just looked in other times I had queries which were promptly answered, the advice and friendship on this were the making of my first marathon experience. A big congrats to each and everyone of you too who did so brilliantly yesterday, my favourite sign I saw 'If it was easy everyone would be doing it':) And to those of you who missed out my heart went out to you but there will be plenty of races ahead to aim for and we will be with you along the away!
    Am in serious agony today, some bad blisters so no high heels for while but DCM 2012 experience is worth every niggle:) Am very excited about the future and this is definitely just the begining of marathon running for me. So my fellow Boardies, whats next on the bucket list? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

What’s the dealie with the results page on the DCM website? They have my finish time as 3:57:XX which matches my Garmin time, but they have my chip time as 3:58:XX, surely that should be reversed as I would imagine the finish time is the time from when your wave started?

Edit: According to those in the know on the main marathon thread, the chip times and the finish times are mixed up on the results page. So yay for 3:57! Every minute counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Target: 4.30
    Actual: 4.53

Missed probably 4/5 wks of the training schedule and it told today. But I cant be too sad.
    Followed the 4:30 pacers and was doing great until 19 miles or so.
    Went through 20miles at 3:30 so a strong last 10km would have brought me home - but right quad cramped up and I just couldnt shake it. Walked for a bit then ran, but it would just cramp up again.
    In one sense I was fairly pissed off as I never got a single cramp in all training - but to be fair, the two injuries I struggled with during the training program were no issue at all.
    The taper definitely helped to fix those.
    Ran the last mile in a good bit of pain but it was great. Family and friends were on Nassau street and the atmosphere was great.

Was a very tough run and more difficult that I had expected but in retrospect I'm delighted to have it done.

Will I run another?
    Probably.... unfinished business out there I think.
    Few weeks rest and lets see.... :p
    (Even though at 22 miles I swore I'd never run again, let alone another marathon)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭Trampas

Where is a good place to find out about different marathons and how good/bad hilly/flat etc

I am thinking along a european one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

It’s the morning after the day before & I’ve been awake since 07:00hrs.

Target 4h45
    Time:4h44

I’m fortunate enough to live relatively close to the Start/Finish area so myself & 2 friends used it as a base of operations for the day. A Phonecall from one friend started with him humming the imperial march tune down the phone to me. Nice mood music to set the tone.

Started off waiting in Wave 3 talking to a chap in his 50s who was retelling of a 75year old friend who runs marathons in 4h30. Told him I’d be delighted with such a time. Race starts & it’s some view of Dublin running along Stephens Green, past Trinity & up O’Connell st. I had started with one friend in the same wave but lost him somewhere on Nassau St. Managed to get ahead of the 5h pacers before we crossed O’Connell Bridge.

It wasn’t until we started hitting the residential areas that I really paid attention to the support. People were camped outside their house just cheering people on & handing out whatever they had. I was quite impressed by this. I was running strong at this point. I had finally passed a few crowds of people was hanging behind the 4h30 pacers.

As we entered the Phoenix park I remember seeing one sign “Run Stranger Run!” which made me smile. I commented something as I passed. Always thank the supporters when you can. I managed to over take the large crowd around 4h30 pacers & exited the park feeling fine. I was very surprised by this. I felt like I was running the race of my life at this point.

Hit the halfway point at 2h08. There was a BBQ which smelled delicious & was slightly torturous. It wasn’t until mile 15 that I felt I needed to take a quick pitstop. Bathroom break, leg stretch & .. vaseline reapply(If you don’t know, don’t ask ). Once that was over felt pretty fresh again. Looked at the pacer band on my wrist(It was for a 4h45m finish) and I was about 15 mins ahead of it.

Mile 18/19 I started to run into trouble. The hills around Roebuck while not massive individually started to have an effect on my legs. My right leg just about the Knee started threatening to seize up. Pushed on but my pace had dropped. Had to slow to a walk ¾ up “Heartbreak hill”. Thank feck for the St John Ambulance people and deep heat. The 4h30m pacers over took me somewhere around this point. My friend, who I started with who I though was ahead of me, caught up with me & over took at this point. Bastard.

I still managed to pass my office at the earliest time I’d said I pass. Turns out they missed me by 5 mins. Though with about 4km to go my right leg was just about to go on me. I had to cut to walking pace for a good deal of the last stretch or I feared I risked a complete muscle seizure.

Looking at my pacer band I realised I was probably on track for a 4h45m finish(Realistic Finish time) even at walking most of it home. I tried running as much as I could but walked a good deal. I realised I probably would just miss 4h45m time at this pace with less than a mile to go.

Then at the traffic lights at Pearse st Gardai station my Dad put his hand out of the crowd. This was unexpected to say the least. About 6 months back he had a near miss while abroad which required serious heart surgery. I told him I’d see him at the finish line & resumed running. Passing the mile 26 marker I looked at my pacer band and was now bang on target if I held up for the last bit. At that point a friend who had already finished yelled & high 5’d from the street. I powered down the street for the last section.

Crossed the finish line for a chip time of 4h44m.

Would I do it again? Hell yeah. I've got a PB to beat now.

My splits were really off though. 2h08m for the first half and 2h36 for the 2nd half. Guess I need more hill work.

Once more I cannot say enough good things about the supporters lining the route. If you ever have doubts about the people in Dublin run a marathon and witness it for yourself.

Some of my favourite signs included –

“Run! The Zombies are chasing you!”

“Run Stranger run”

“Look alive, Morgue ahead”

“Blisters are in this season”

<Picture of a Pint> “This is waiting at the finish line”

“Pain now, Beer later”

“Stop reading this sign and keep running”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Trampas wrote: »
    Where is a good place to find out about different marathons and how good/bad hilly/flat etc

I am thinking along a european one

boards.ie of course :D
    I asked this last year
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75292654

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

npresto wrote: »
    So tell us your finishing time
    3:57:49:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Well, here I am. Its d-day +1. My legs are quite sore. Whoever suggested going backwards down stairs is a life saver.

Low points:
    Merrion rd. Seriously, has that road always been there!
    The UCD flyover. I've run it maybe 50 times. Never hit the wall there.

High points:
    Rathgar: high 5s with friends.
    Nassau street. High 5s with kids, everyone shouting. Never been so happy to have my name written on me.
    The park. I love running in the park.
    The stewards/water guys/gardai/ everyone involved in the race. Every one of them must be hoarse from all the encouragement

Finished in 4:23 and change. Not my desired time true, but so close to it I couldn't care less.

Well done to everyone else. Its been great reading about your trials and tribulations. Great to know I wasn't alone in them.

Thanks to one and all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So how is everyone feeling today? My knee is still a bit sore, but I can go up AND down stairs facing forwards, so I’m taking that as a good sign!

What are people’s stand out memories from yesterday? I have to say, that it is a bit of a blur for me. I think not knowing the area at all didn’t help as I didn’t have a clue where I was most of the time. Stand out crowd for me (apart from the start and finish) were the folks at Kilmainham, they were incredible, really gave a great lift. The only areas I found a bit dull were Walkinstown Road (is that the big long road) and the bit at the UCD flyover.

Fuel wise, I took 4 gels at 6,11,16,21 (dropped one of my Gu ones at some stage, so thankfully was able to grab a Hi 5 from one of the stations) Took a few of my magic jellies, but dropped a load of those too and kind of forgot about them after the first half. I took the Hi 5 electrolyte tablets too, I had never taken them before (I know, naughty, naughty trying them out for the first time during a marathon) and found them great. Took half a tablet at pretty much every water station and had no issues with them. I had no cramping at all, so not sure if they are to thank for that, but I would def use them again.

Sorry, I’m telling a fib, I had the slightest inkling of a cramp at about mile 23, could feel my foot turning into a claw! Remembered the advice about running faster to shock the muscles, and it really worked! Literally just pushed on for about 30 seconds, and the cramp was gone.

Roebuck Hill was nothing! I had built it up to be this big thing, but I didn’t feel it bad at all. I would have done a fair few hills in my training and I think this really stood to me, there is no hill that stood out for me as being tough.

Did anyone else see the girls in the Halloween outfits doing the walk of shame? Can’t remember where it was, but needless to say, they got a lot of good natured abuse from the 4hr pacers!

Toilet wise, I didn’t get to go before the race as the queues were unreal, but I nipped in at the 6 mile water station. It was great, there were no queues at all and I literally lost only about 30 seconds. I was very jealous of all the men being able to nip off whenever they wanted!

Favourite signs were ‘blisters are in this season’ ‘toenails are over-rated’ ‘you think you’re bad, my arms are killing me’ and ‘mortuary ahead. Look lively’. I know it sounds silly, but the signs really gave me a lift, it was great to have something to put a smile on your face!

Advertisement