Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Well as a long time follower of these treads but only a handful of posts I’ll put a bit of effort into this one

Drove from Cork on Sunday and discussed my race strategy with my wife, I was calculating times based on 10K x 5, 10 mile x 3 and half marathon x2 +10%. My wife reminded me I had never ran a race of any description in my entire life .....based on the three calculations I was looking at predicted times of 4:20, 4:24 and 4.26. I had two choices follow 4.15 pacers and try to stay with them. Or follow 4.30 pacers and make sure I finish the thing... I went with the conservative option and decided to follow 4.30 pacers.

Lined up behind 4:30 pacers around 8:50 am. Was a bit nervous so was drinking water when I told myself not to...I had drank probably 10 litres on Sunday and got hardly any sleep Sunday night going to toilet. So looked at smart phone at 9:16 ...time for a quick wee, headed off down a side street.....next thing I hear the gun go off...oh f*ck there went the 4.30 pacers. So much for conserving energy at the start...

Met Ultraman and Kit 3 round mile 3, asked Ultraman which one was Vaggabond and he said he was the friendly one! Ultraman looked a bit bored but I suppose it was only a marathon for him !!....unfortunately never got to speak to Vagga ( his log was the main reason I decided to try and run one of these things) Went ahead of pacers as I had another pit stop around mile 5 but when I got back on road I was still a little ahead of them. Was finding the pace easy enough so decided to run on my own for a while...hit 10K at 1:02 and got to halfway in 2.11 ...

I looked at my 4.15 pace band and saw that 4.15 pacers would be around 5 mins ahead so I decided to up the pace and try and catch them . Got to 20 miles in 3:19 and realised that I had made little inroads on their lead ...from there I decided to go for it ...and ran last 6.2 miles in 57mins including mile 24 (10:17) where a female spectator walked out of the crowd in front of me and nearly finished my race. I think I knocked her as I bounced off her and landed on one leg near the crowd who pushed me back up...really upset my rythem and took me rest of that mile to get back on track for last two...ran last mile in 8.40 so finished strong but only saw the 4.15 pacers flags on 200m from finish line ....however 4.15.55 I was delighted with.

So first half was 2.11.XX second 2.04.XX didn’t even know what a negative split was last week but when I found out it sounded better to passing people at the end rather than going backwards so to have done it this way was very satisfying and definitely drove me on at the end. I checked results and moved up over 2200 places from 10k mark. Only thing is I think I used a lot of energy weaving around people and every hill I ran up it as fast as I could ...I actually love the hills but I probably burn energy on them. Anyway matter a damn now so i would like to thank everyone on this thread for their posts and logs as they have been an excellent motivation/ resource/education/laugh for someone with no running experience. Think I might even check boards tonight for some sub four logs !

PS Novice Things I learned yesterday
    Don’t leave carb loading till Sunday...you’ll feel like a beached whale Sunday night
    Don’t drink a litre of water waiting around at the start....you’ll.....well u know
    Don’t use a phone for pacing...u won’t be able to access data when you need it
    Don’t order a garmin from amazon a week before the race........it might come the day after the race and believe me you won’t have any interest in it then
    Don’t assume you will see mile markers from 18 on telling you how much distance is left
    Don’t believe anyone as to what distance is left after 22 miles
    Do read the map provided to know where the finishing line is .....
    Do stop to take time to put that extra gel in your belt....never know when u might need it and it will only take 10 seconds
    Don’t think this is easy.... ever
    Do read boards or else you may look like you were attached by a shark when you finish

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Hey PM great race report, honest , heartfelt and bloody inspiring

You totally battled it out and I'm thrilled for you that you made it. your definitely "Hard Core"

I've really appreciated the training log - thanks for keeping it going, the accountability of logging runs kept me getting out there.

Hope your recovery goes well and look forward to seeing you posting in the future, and getting the marathon you clearly deserve!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I wonder how long does it take before you can walk properly again. Due back in work tomorrow but literally have to crawl up stairs at moment and walking feels like a marathon in itself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

tomred1N wrote: »
    Well as a long time follower of these treads but only a handful of posts I’ll put a bit of effort into this one

Drove from Cork on Sunday and discussed my race strategy with my wife, I was calculating times based on 10K x 5, 10 mile x 3 and half marathon x2 +10%. My wife reminded me I had never ran a race of any description in my entire life .....based on the three calculations I was looking at predicted times of 4:20, 4:24 and 4.26. I had two choices follow 4.15 pacers and try to stay with them. Or follow 4.30 pacers and make sure I finish the thing... I went with the conservative option and decided to follow 4.30 pacers.

Lined up behind 4:30 pacers around 8:50 am. Was a bit nervous so was drinking water when I told myself not to...I had drank probably 10 litres on Sunday and got hardly any sleep Sunday night going to toilet. So looked at smart phone at 9:16 ...time for a quick wee, headed off down a side street.....next thing I hear the gun go off...oh f*ck there went the 4.30 pacers. So much for conserving energy at the start...

Met Ultraman and Kit 3 round mile 3, asked Ultraman which one was Vaggabond and he said he was the friendly one! Ultraman looked a bit bored but I suppose it was only a marathon for him !!....unfortunately never got to speak to Vagga ( his log was the main reason I decided to try and run one of these things) Went ahead of pacers as I had another pit stop around mile 5 but when I got back on road I was still a little ahead of them. Was finding the pace easy enough so decided to run on my own for a while...hit 10K at 1:02 and got to halfway in 2.11 ...

I looked at my 4.15 pace band and saw that 4.15 pacers would be around 5 mins ahead so I decided to up the pace and try and catch them . Got to 20 miles in 3:19 and realised that I had made little inroads on their lead ...from there I decided to go for it ...and ran last 6.2 miles in 57mins including mile 24 (10:17) where a female spectator walked out of the crowd in front of me and nearly finished my race. I think I knocked her as I bounced off her and landed on one leg near the crowd who pushed me back up...really upset my rythem and took me rest of that mile to get back on track for last two...ran last mile in 8.40 so finished strong but only saw the 4.15 pacers flags on 200m from finish line ....however 4.15.55 I was delighted with.

So first half was 2.11.XX second 2.04.XX didn’t even know what a negative split was last week but when I found out it sounded better to passing people at the end rather than going backwards so to have done it this way was very satisfying and definitely drove me on at the end. I checked results and moved up over 2200 places from 10k mark. Only thing is I think I used a lot of energy weaving around people and every hill I ran up it as fast as I could ...I actually love the hills but I probably burn energy on them. Anyway matter a damn now so i would like to thank everyone on this thread for their posts and logs as they have been an excellent motivation/ resource/education/laugh for someone with no running experience. Think I might even check boards tonight for some sub four logs !

PS Novice Things I learned yesterday
    Don’t leave carb loading till Sunday...you’ll feel like a beached whale Sunday night
    Don’t drink a litre of water waiting around at the start....you’ll.....well u know
    Don’t use a phone for pacing...u won’t be able to access data when you need it
    Don’t order a garmin from amazon a week before the race........it might come the day after the race and believe me you won’t have any interest in it then
    Don’t assume you will see mile markers from 18 on telling you how much distance is left
    Don’t believe anyone as to what distance is left after 22 miles
    Do read the map provided to know where the finishing line is .....
    Do stop to take time to put that extra gel in your belt....never know when u might need it and it will only take 10 seconds
    Don’t think this is easy.... ever
    Do read boards or else you may look like you were attached by a shark when you finish

WOW! Amazing race....You must've been delighted with yourself!
    ps..you didnt miss out on the extra gel, i felt like getting from the damn things and didnt actually take the last one.
    Serves that spectator right if she did end up on the ground, a few of them done this when I was running too.
    Sounds like you didnt even have any kind of wall experience. Excellent stuff to read.

I wonder how long does it take before you can walk properly again. Due back in work tomorrow but literally have to crawl up stairs at moment and walking feels like a marathon in itself :)

I went to physio last week and he said I have inflammation and swelling on my knee from where I fell a few weeks back (though I thought I just had a superficial wound) Today I feel like I may have an injury on that spot, kind of a twinge when walking.
    I also got really bad chaffing on my inside thighs yesterday...this never happened in training so didn't put Vaseline on them. My thighs now look like a neglected babys' bottom :( Getting in the bath last night was fun :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Walkedit wrote: »
    Target 5:00
    Result 4:52 Amazing & Fantastic

(that's what ended on runkeeper but my hands were numb at end so took maybe 2 mins to get it end, mayb)e 4:50, which would be neutral split! (is that what we say?). Either way I'm well chuffed, had a great day and an amazing result for me.)

A special thanks to DeeDee who was my partner for 20 miles, we hit HM at 2:25 (3 mins better then my actual HM! two PB's in one day), couldn't have asked for better you kept me on track, great company/craic throughout, especially after HB hill which I was all mouth about, after that I would have slowed up without your HTFU. As you were then running with Claire you club buddy I hope it was OK that I pushed on once we got to the Stillorgan dualler, I got a second wind and decided to ride it home. I'm hoping you had a goodone over the last few miles.

Also Shortie Chic & Fifi (Have a great trip to Canada) who made the start really good, the four of us all calmed each other down, last we saw of ye was just after hitting the park so I'm expecting ye got or bettered the 4:45 ye were after. Go the girls!

And the 5 hr pacers we were just ahead or behind until the park when we opted to stay a few '00 yds ahead and didn't see ye after except on catch ups from loo stops. But knowing ye were there and that ye had our back was great.

I kept going and felt I pushed the last few miles although it got progressively harder, When did Nassau st get sooo long!. Caoimhe who'd joined me to encourage me home for last 10m had the biggest struggle to keep/catch up, but ran herself into the ground to stay in touch, parting with remains of brekkie soon after the finish line, which we hit almost together.

I also met a lovely lady Shannon on Shelbourne road and we ran two miles together pushing each other on until she slowed up and I went on again, but as I went up the green carpet she had caught up having run the last 1-2 miles with Caoimhe and we all finished together. Spoke to her briefly after and it was her first and she was delighted to get sub 5

I'll try to make sense of everything afterwards but I felt that the training approach and advice paid off big time, not seen my splits yet but it seemed we rattled out 11.11 min miles from 2-26, and at the end, in the last 6 miles it was all passing folk who had clearly started out quicker then they could manage but were now walking - which we were repeatedly warned about. Doing it steady all through paid off. This time there was no wall. Thanks again Young Anne and all the Mentors ( Saw RayCun as we went around DeeDee knew him)

Lastly there was the Dublin crowd and weren't they magnificent. So many people out giving their time to be out witnesses and offer their support. It would not be the same without them.

Not sure actually that I'll have much more to say in a 'full race report' so this may be it!

I went to McG's after but didn't see anyone except the Concern team so we wandered on. I guess we were too late or too tired, would l have loved to relive it a bit with DeeDee, Shortie & Fifi, pacers and to have met a few more but wasn't to be. TBH I was wasted so it would have been a short visit anyway.

Hope everyone else is OK, it's great to see the reports rolling in. I guess the analysis starts now as we try to hold on to the experience, both our little community and our race and then will be time to think about what's next. I've already been asked will I be doing another one - HELL YEA. New challenges beckon 4:45, 4:30, 4:15 and maybe some day sub 4.

Anyway I'm sitting here still wearing my race clothes - minus shoes + DCM 13 shirt (it's only massive), a long soak beckons
    Have a great evening and enjoy your success everyone, we're all heroes, we've all done it, we're all MARATHONERS

Cheers for now

Glad you had a good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I know I only posted twice on this already towards the end, so nobody is probably interested in reading my race report, but I'm so buzzed I wanted to share it with someone (besides the 15 or so people who've already had to listen to the face to face version!!).

So, had a really stressful day Saturday when the sub 3 aiming OH ended up in A&E with a very nasty silent chest infection (apparently it's a chest infection without a cough which mirrors a possible heart condition), so after a full day there, brought him home doped up on steroids and antibilotics and strict instructions not to run the marathon at any costs. I was gutted for him, more so than he was for himself it felt like, and it obviously put a downer on my excitement too. Sunday was a rush as had to fit in all our Saturday and Sunday plans into one day.

After some major last minute panicking and tears Sunday night, managed to get a surprisingly good night's sleep, and woke up feeling really positive Monday morning. Himself dropped me to the start, I know it was killing him, and I met up with some friends there. I was bursting for the loo, but the queues were massive, and it was close to start time. At the expo I'd spoken to the pacers, who advised me if I wanted to do around the 4 to stay in front of the 4 hour pacers as behind them is bedlam. So that's what I set out to do and ended up leaving my friends - and finding a dumpster at Fitzwilliam square to sneak off behind for a wee - boys have it so much easier, but once a few girls saw what I managed, they were all following me.

Found the start a bit overwhelming and packed, and I missed the first mile pacer, so had no idea if I was going too fast or too slow. My main fear was too fast, as that's what tends to happen to me in races. Realised at mile 2, I was running 8.45 miles, when I wanted to be doing 9.09s, but didn't panic. Slowed it down a bit, and averaged 8.56s for the first 5 miles. The OH was waiting in the park for me, which was a massive boost. Managed to slow down a good bit for the next 10 miles or so, which made me a lot more relaxed and able to enjoy it without freaking out that I was ruining myself by going too fast. Highlight was passing by my house at mile 10 (sorry, I didn't do the banners as it wouldn't have been fair on himself) to see my whole family and neighbours out with what looked like homemade Kilkenny shop set up handing out jellies, bananas, water, etc. They looked like they were loving the day and were very emotional to see me. Chatted to a few other runners then along the way, which helped keep me slow and calm. Found that part really enjoyable.

Passed the half mark at 1.58 which meant I was on track for sub 4 but was still worried that I'd set off too fast and would pay later. I had a huge amount of support all around the course, which was brilliant, really really helped. Although the strangers were as a big a boost as my own crew. The OH was meeting me every 5 miles (despite being told to rest) with gels and water, which was great, and meant I could skip the water stations. Also a great mental boost and easy way to break down the marathon.

Even though I'd done it twice in training, I was dreading Clonskeagh hill and knew I couldn't truly "relax" until that was done. Up until then, I'd been loving it and really taking in the atmosphere. I braced myself, and actually found it really enjoyable. I planted a smile firmly on my face, and kept it there all the way to the top. Upon realising I'd made it to the top, in one of my fastest miles, and now was well on track for a sub 4, I actually started to cry and get all emotional. The pain in my legs had started to kick in at about mile 18, but at this stage, the pain actually spurred me on, if that makes sense. I felt so strong at that stage, that I powered on. I felt like I was passing everyone by for the last 6 miles (I'm pretty sure I wasn't) and managed to make my last 6 miles my fastest 6 miles.

I really thought I had nothing left, but managed to sprint over the finish line, and reading someone else's advice I remembered to raise my hands in the air, rather than stop the time on my clock. The feeling was definitely the best feeling ever. I was so buzzed.

I found the half hour afterwards a real downer as I couldn't find anyone and had no phone to ring anyone, and the OH hadn't managed to get to our meeting place. I couldn't remember anyone's phone numbers and was starting to freeze. But I finally remembered my Mam's and borrowed some girls phone and then got so emotional again when my Mam answered.

I saw after that I clocked in at 3.56.07 - most amazing feeling ever!! Way beyond (well 3 mins beyond) what I had hoped for an 10 minutes better than I had said I'd be happy with. I was so happy with the way I ran the race, and my pacing, and so grateful not to have caught sight of the wall. I felt like I was ready to run another one straight away.

But today as the pain soaks through every part of my legs, that feeling has gone away, and all I can think of now is the fish and chips I am going to have for dinner later (couldn't eat a thing yesterday) and my 2 week holiday that starts on Friday.

The worst pains I had yesterday were awful stomach cramps. Luckily I had none at all while running, but as soon as I started to eat afterwards, they hit, and didn't go away til I was in bed last night. It was probably a mix of too many carbs, gels, nerves and elation. But I tell ya, I'd go through all that pain again, ten times over to experience the feeling again - not just the finish line, but the whole 4 hours. People in work think I'm lying when I say I actually enjoyed every single minute of it. Forcing myself to smile throughout and to interact with the crowds was a massive help. Also, I tried to stay present in my thoughts as much as possible, which was great. At every new mile, I tried to think of something that happened on that mile - whether it was where I had my first kiss with my boyfriend, to my reverse around the corner in my driving test, to where I got penalty points, to my run home from work, etc. it really really helped. But the crowds were definitely the highlight. I've watched from my front door the past 4 years, and felt the buzz, but experiencing it for 26 miles is something you just can't describe!!

Well done to all, and I hope you're all buzzing today and so proud of yourselves. We are all f**cking amazing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good picture to give you an idea of how tight a group we were ;):D

http://lindie.zenfolio.com/p1029686095/h49486528#h49486528

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Trampas

I am in the same boat as you. Stairs aint easy and I have 2 sets to go get up to my bedroom.

I am thinking maybe Chicago next year. God I am a gluten for punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I already typed in a huge race report and it wouldn't post, grrr..... any way I'll try again.
    Goal 5hrs
    time 4.56.06

I had a brilliant day and enjoyed it all.
    Up at 6 because I was wide awake, forced down porridge and a banana. Drove in and met my club mates in the Conrad Hotel. Plenty of Elite looking athletes knocking around there. Used the posh loo in the hotel a few times cos I didn't know when I'd next see a nice loo. Club mates headed off and I made my way to the start. I made a beeline for the 5 hr pacers and introduced myself to Digijem and Belcarra. I told them I would stick like glue to them but as it happened it didn't work out like that. I was scanning the crowd for mentored novice sorts and spoted Walkedit, he was with Shortiechik and Fifi, so it was great to meet my fellow boardsies. We had a nice chat at the start and headed off together. Shortiechik and Fifi liked the look of 4.45 so they pulled ahead early on. (I read your report Fifi you had a great race and I'm looking forward to hearing how Shortiechik finished I saw her towards the end and she was trucking along nicely) Fell into a handy pace with walkedit and we found outselves pulling away from the pacers. It was drilled into me not to go off too quick so I forced myself to slow down. Walkedit you were raring to go and I'm sure you'd have happily gone faster. We stayed around 3 minutes ahead of the pacers until 20 miles or so. The miles ticked along nicely, we had great craic with the supporters, high fived kids, laughed at the funny banners and fancy dressed runners. Was in awe of the two guys running it as a three legged race. We enjoyed ourselves immensely and I kept waiting for it to feel difficult and it really didn't until the very end. I knew I would be starving out there and by the Park I was. I availed hugely of anything that was being handed out, rich tea bikkies, jellys, banana, grapes, apple slices, you name it I had it, a mini picnic all the way. Plus them feckin gels, if I never see one again it will be too soon. I was amazed at the support going around, for people to give up their bank holiday to stand in the crowd to cheer you, it was so good of them. I had my name on my number and back of my tshirt, and any time someone called it out I was delighted. At lot of my clubmates were out along the course cheering us on and it really was a boost when I saw anyone I knew. My family were stationed at Milltown and I was so pleased to see them, I had assumed I would be in a bad way by then but I was strong and happy and continued on my way. Turned onto Clonskeagh and still was waiting for the wall, it didnt come, we were still strong and enjoying it, I think we paced it perfectly. We motored up Roebuck hill without a problem and myself and Walkedit had a high five at the top. The worst was over we were on the last stretch. Just as we got to Roebuck I met one of my clubmates running and was delighted to see her. Walkedit was flying along and continued on ahead. My clubmate was having a lot of problems with her foot, this had bothered her on and off during training but it was back with a vengence now, she was in pain and had to take some walk breaks. There was no way I was walking a single step yesterday so I jogged along slowly with her whenever she needed to walk. Things started to hurt for me about 23 miles or so but not enough to even think about not finishing. Our club was stewarding the final section from Trinity to the end and once I turned onto Nassau St I saw a lot of familiar faces, my family were there too, I high fived my son and daughter and flew down to the finish (at least if felt like I flew, my garmin probably says otherwise) Passed the line with my clubmate, job done and a huge smile on my face. We headed to McGrattans which was packed, the kids were tired and I needed a seat so we headed off and had our dinner elsewhere. I felt like I ran that race exactly right, I ran it at a pace I could enjoy, I wasn't aiming to race it I was running for the enjoyment of it. Congratulations to all of you, what a great day. This thread has been so wonderful for the last few months. I have so enjoyed reading about your trials and tribulations and it was somewhere for me to vent and obsess. I will miss it a lot. I hope we continue on with a new continuing challenge thread and I look forward to hearing your running plans for next year. Will I do another one, god yes, sign me up!! Special thanks to Walkedit you made those 20 miles a lot of fun, we kicked ass yesterday, bring on the next one. Dee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Good picture to give you an idea of how tight a group we were ;):D

http://lindie.zenfolio.com/p1029686095/h49486528#h49486528

Wow - I was about 10 mins ahead of that, stuck in no man's land between groups, was very sparsely populated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Target Time: 3:29:59
    Actual Time: 3:29:20 :cool:

1st half: 1:44:30
    2nd half: 1:44:50

Warning: Sorry, this is really long so if you don’t have time the above is all you need to know!

What an amazing day! A day I will never forget.

The morning started out when I met PM at the hotel and we strolled up to the start line, wished him the best of luck and we parted ways. Also bumped into career_move, wished her the best of luck and then headed for start line.

I lined up with the 3:30 pacers and introduced myself to them (had met robinph at the pacer stand the day before), then I settled in a couple metres back. The first 18 miles or so were comfortable bar a toilet break at the 6mile mark which put me about 200m behind the pacers, spent the next 3 miles slowly catching up again as I didn’t want to rush it.

From mile 18 – 21 I started to feel it slightly and on the way up roebuck hill I needed some motivation from the pacers (more later!) The hill itself seem fine at the time but going down fosters avenue my legs started to go numb and felt dead, I started to hit the wall and felt like I had nothing left in the tank.

Last five miles were cruel. At mile 23 the pacers started to drift away from me and I thought that was my chance to break 3:30 gone, Told myself the HTFU that I can’t lose it now after all the sacrifice I put in. I dug in and caught them again at about 25 mile mark. At 25.5 I had to take a 10 second walk break as I had nothing left. Putting my name on my number really paid off here. Shouts and roars to not give up now and I was off again. Pacers were about 100m ahead at this stage; I knew it would be a close call on my finish time. Rounding the corner at college green was just phenomenal. I’d run the marathon again just to get a buzz like that.

When I saw the finish line I just gave everything I had left to get over it. I was so wrecked at the end I couldn’t even celebrate, I just keeled over a barrier and stayed there for about 5 mins, I would have fallen asleep there and then If I could! Took me about 10mins to get to my bag and then I proceeded to throw up in the loo (sorry for the gruesome details :D) but it just goes to show that I gave it absolutely everything and I’m more satisfied by that more than anything else. Took me awhile to get my colour back before I headed to McGrattens!

Massive thanks to ropinph for pacing yesterday, he gave me great encouragement at roebuck when I said "robin, you need to get me over this hill!". Also at the end when I had seen the 3:30 pacers 100m ahead and I thought I was done for. Next thing I hear Robin roaring back at me to get in under 3:30 and it gave me enough encouragement to get over the line. Brilliant job Robin! All the other 3:30 pacers were brilliant as well.

I was blown away by the support, I expected it to be good, but it was actually out of this world. The moment I’ll most remember is the massive support in Terenure and rounding college green at the end, It was like the tour de france! Dublin really did show its true colours. Well done to everyone who was out supporting it made a huge difference to my performance anyway.

Was great to meet up with some of the crowd here after in McGrattans, especially YoungAnne, menoscemo (already trying to get me to pace next year! I’ll do a few more first!), Marthastew and the dynamic duo of digger and claralara! Had long chats with PM, career_move and jprender about the day also. Great to put names to faces and hope to see ye again sometime soon.

Big thanks to all the novices on here, I would not have made the start line only for this thread with doing most of my training by myself. Younganne massive thanks for all your work and commitment on this thread, especially when you had to look after your own training, kids etc.

Thanks to menoscemo, Mr Slow, RayCun, RunningKing and all the other experienced runners that I have forgotten for all your advice and help.

And finally, to one man who has been an inspiration to me throughout this journey on this thread, having only spotted your log a month or so back I was blown away at the progress, Pageant Messiah out of all the finishers yesterday I was most delighted that you finished and completed your journey. From nothing to a marathon in 10 months is astounding and I think I would be speaking on behalf of most people on here when I say that you were an inspiration to us all. Hope you enjoyed your celebrity status in McGrattans after! :D

Well done to everyone else yesterday. Great times by everyone, we are now all marathoners!!

Where to next?

5km race end November and Waterford Half in December.
    For 2013? Who knows...I may start a log! :eek:

blockic wrote: »

And finally, to one man who has been an inspiration to me throughout this journey on this thread, having only spotted your log a month or so back I was blown away at the progress, Pageant Messiah out of all the finishers yesterday I was most delighted that you finished and completed your journey. From nothing to a marathon in 10 months is astounding and I think I would be speaking on behalf of most people on here when I say that you were an inspiration to us all. Hope you enjoyed your celebrity status in McGrattans after! :D

Well done to everyone else yesterday. Great times by everyone, we are now all marathoners!!

Where to next?

5km race end November and Waterford Half in December.
    For 2013? Who knows...I may start a log! :eek:

I have to say I'm slightly embarrassed by the inspiration and respect you and indeed loads of the others here seem to have for my efforts. :o I'm honestly far more in awe of you hitting a sub 3.30. It's a far greater achievement than me dragging myself around in 5:36 and likewise to the rest of the novices here - everyone gave it their all and got a time to the best of their abilities and circumstances on the day. We're all an inspiration to each other and to those around us. :)

Was delighted for you yesterday when you hit that time. Fantastic running.

Get that log started - I will be the first subscriber !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 R O B

Hi Folks,

I finished the DCM yesterday and just wondered did anyone else's garmin register them as having run nearly 300 metres over a marathon and would anyone know why this was the case for my garmin? thanks:confused:

R O B wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I finished the DCM yesterday and just wondered did anyone else's garmin register them as having run nearly 300 metres over a marathon and would anyone know why this was the case for my garmin? thanks:confused:

The marathon is measured in a straight line through the shortest possible distance. Therefore any of:

Taking a corner wide.
    Not gradually moving across from left to right.
    Ziz Zagging around other runners.
    Diverting a couple of metres to the water station.
    Your own device picking you up slightly to the left and slightly to the right (GPS on watches is never 100% accurate)

would add a bit onto your distance. My soleus put me at 400 metres over marathon distance but that is exactly what I would have expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

R O B wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

was wondering wen the first one wud pop up...,do u think dat a satalite up in space can measure u running around the streets of dublin accuratly....even on a bank holiday...apoligies if i seem insensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

Where to start ?

I'm shattered here - absolutely shattered. I've never felt pain like yesterday, yet never felt as inspired as yesterday too. My target was to hang onto the 5 hour pacers as long as I could. No real time goal at all - just to finish in one piece. Training as regular readers here would know has been next to non existant for the last 4-5 weeks due to injury so the best case scenario was to simply get around.

I met Blockic for a gentle stroll towards the start line. As he is a souped up wave 1 attendee we had to part as soon as we got to the start area. I met up with my physio who taped up my leg to give me the best chance of getting around on the inured leg. After dropping my bag off I joined the back of Wave 3 and began gently jostling towards the 5 hour pace flags. I was nervous - very nervous - and the nerves grew to a point where fear was taking over. The kind of fear that you just want to run and find your family and hide from the world. I gave myself a mental slap in the face and got focussed on the task in hand.

The starting gun went off up ahead for wave 1 and all I could see was clothes flying left and right. It was like a cartoon fight where loads of objects and items are thrown out of the big ball of flying fur. Then wave 2 went off and pretty soon it was our turn. The first mile or so was a little congested but nothing near what I had expected. I was trying to conserve energy by not zig zagging around other runners but I was also afraid of losing the 5 hour group. By the time we got to O'Connell bridge everything had thinned out though and I was back behind the pace group. My wife and little one were waiting for me there and I handed over my jacket to keep going and grabbed a little hug off my daughter.

Things felt very good at that point. Only issue was the tape on the leg was starting to peel off. By the time we got to dorset street I had to stop and rip the tape off. No major problem though as the shin was holding up well. I was chatting with a couple of people along the way and ended up meeting / chatting with Curr33 for most of the NCR and Phoenix Park. Things were going very well and I at that point was thinking that I probably could see things out with the 5 hour group. I was wrong :D

I lost the 5 hour group around Rialto but in hindsight I had started to lose them at the Chapelizod water station. One minute I was talking to Curr33, then I veered right a bit to grab an energy drink. It should have lost me 2-3 seconds at most but when I looked up they were further away. It suddenly felt like an effort to keep up. The hill out of Chapelizod wasn't as bad as I feared at all. In fact I managed to just about catch back up to the group. At that stage though it was again a struggle to keep up. I knew we were about a minute ahead of 5 hour pace at that point which was probably a bad thing as I allowed myself the luxury of a 1 minute gap knowing that I would still be on for a 5 hour. The only good thing about Rialto though was my wife, child and at that stage my mother who had joined them had hopped a LUAS out and I again had some friendly faces and encouragement waiting for me.

Turning right at Crumlin and that long drag up to Walkinstown broke my heart. I spent that time looking at the 5 hour group taking off into the distance. My lack of training bit me in the ass at this stage and an enforced walk-run-walk-run strategy came into play. I was cold, tired, hungry and dejected and hating that hill. I got passed by two lads singing bohemian rhapsody at full voice and hated them too ! (When I later passed them out in bits at Milltown I had an evil giggle to myself) When I saw the half way sign in the distance I didn't know whether or not to be encouraged or dejected by the fact I was still only half way there. I remembered though that there would be cameras there and I didn't want to be seen walking so dug deep and managed to get up and around the turn at the roundabout before resuming my walk run strategy.

At this point I really started to appreciate the support from the crowd.(Not that there wasn't any up until then but you just appreciate it so much more when struggling) I had read here to put my name on my shirt and wow what a difference it made. At least 100 times on that course someone shouted my name and gave me encouragement to keep going. The amount of people standing on that course for hours on end handing out fruit, jellies and sweets to complete strangers was humbling to say the least. The fact they were still there for us at the tail end of the race was even more remarkable.

On the way into Terenure I passed the 16 mile mark and celebrated the fact that I was now into record breaking territory (previous record distance was 16 miles some weeks ago) I also lamented the fact it was 10 miles to go too. Pain was steadily building all over me at this stage but thankfully the shin I had been most worried about was ok. Into Terenure and over the mat a guy on the PA roared my name. I also saw my physio there who gave me some more encouragment. A few miles later and the long drag to Clonskeagh was in front of me. At this point it was more walking than running but trying to keep a fast walk when doing so. Mentally I was starting to fatigue as well. I could hardly think straight - felt in a bit of a daze. Just on the corner before turning towards the road leading to "heartbreak hill" there was a girl and her friend there who shouted my name and "let's be having you" Before I realised it I had shouted back Do we have time ? The crowd around laughed and I kept going but it clicked with me that I wasn't as bad as I thought I was mentally. There was some function still there. So when I got to the sign saying heartbreak hill I decided I was going to plough up it non stop. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected it to be - for me walkinstown drag was worse. In fact trying to go down the steep hill of fosters avenue was harder.

Once again the family were waiting for me out on the course at the bottom of fosters hill having bussed it out. Brave face on :) little one runs a bit with me - I keep going but by the time I got to the UCD flyover I was done. I was literally seizing up out on the course. Nutley lane will forever more for me be associated with the worst pain ever. I wanted to stop, I knew if I did that I would not start again. I texted the family to say exactly that. I was hoping for some inspiration back to get me going. The text back simply said (my daughter) says she loves you, don't stop, don't let the leg beat you. Irony was the leg injury was the least of my concerns but that text had me close to tears yet full of joy at the same time. I remembered then that I had placed 3 pain killers in my pocket just in case the shin had gone during the race. Fished them out - sweat etc had melted and fused them into this hard salty mess but with a water station in front of me I threw them in. They tasted disgusting - truly disgusting but they seemed to help within a mile. (Could have been a placebo effect mind you)

I was delighted at that stage to be able to start putting together a string of small runs. Each time passing other runners. In fact the last 2 miles in I probably made up 100+ places constantly reeling in those in front of me walking because I was running half the distance. It felt good. Eventually got around to the finish area. I grabbed my little one by the hand and she ran the last couple of hundred metres home with me through a cheering crowd. It was a very special moment for me to cross with her - the tannoy announcer even mentioned her as if we were a group coming home.

Came home in 5:36 with an intact leg. Happy days :D I had the pleasure of meeting a few of our boards community up in mcgrattens afterwards proudly wearing my finishers shirt. A perfect end to a great day.

Special thanks at this point to all the volunteers, stewards and marshalls out on route, to all the pacers, to YoungAnne and the other mentors here on boards too and last but by no means least thanks to all of you guys here for being a part of this experience. I will be back next year for sure. :)

Congrats PM, you did it, you are officially a marathoner; time is irrelavent you finished and no one can ever take that away from you. People like you are the reason marathons produce heroes because you never gave up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The marathon is measured in a straight line through the shortest possible distance. Therefore any of:

Taking a corner wide.
    Not gradually moving across from left to right.
    Ziz Zagging around other runners.
    Diverting a couple of metres to the water station.
    Your own device picking you up slightly to the left and slightly to the right (GPS on watches is never 100% accurate)

would add a bit onto your distance. My soleus put me at 400 metres over marathon distance but that is exactly what I would have expected.

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the senior mentor of next years novices thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the senior mentor of next years novices thread ;)
    Perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I reckon that was decided when the online excel file was set up ;)
    Perfect :D

Nice to meet you yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Most definitely well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Big thanks to the 4h and 3.45 pacer's,ye do one heck of a job and are truely inspiring.Yesterday was my 1st ever marathon and wont be my last.Started with the 4h pacers,left them then at 6miles and then from round 8 miles to 21 miles i stayed with the 3.45 pacers,No hint of the dreaded wall and with the legs feeling good i left them there and speeded up a little to come home in 3:40.Allways wanted to do a marathon befoe i hit 40,so still time to snake in another 1 or 2(just about).As everyone has said the crowds were amazing and done Dublin proud.Roll on next year.

Did i meet you in the Mespil afterwards? on the couch?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Was anyone else cold yesterday, I was fecking freezing in parts, the park, Crumlin, Kimmage. Should have worn long sleeves.

sassyj wrote: »
    Was anyone else cold yesterday, I was fecking freezing in parts, the park, Crumlin, Kimmage. Should have worn long sleeves.

Yeah my hands were freezing for the last few miles

Did anyone see the guy dressed up as the hotdog?
    I have to say looking at him in the last few miles took my mind off my pain.
    It was near the end where all the crowds were and everyone was shouting 'come on hotdog' :D and the poor guy was in bits...he kept stopping to stretch every 2 mins but couldn't open his legs properly cause of his costume. It was comical watching him attempting it and then looking around to see if anyone noticed that he was struggling to stretch.
    That hotdog disney song kept going through my feckin head looking at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Yes!! Threw my gloves and hat to a friend at 3miles..quickly regretted it! My hands were so cold that even at mile 12 i couldn't tear my gel open. I stopped and asked a stranger/supporter to open it for me. He tore it open with his teeth! Was slightly horrified but then thought "well needs must!" But other than cold hands I thought it was ideal marathon weather..not that I have another marathon to compare it to!

Legs aren't as bad today as I thought they'd be..although I'm still questioning if every trip upstairs is REALLY necessary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Well I can't believe its all over, I don't think I will ever forget the support from the crowds, the new level of pain felt after mile 22, crossing the finish line and meeting my family afterwards and seeing how proud they were of me.

My race like everyone else's had ups and downs, the ups included running through the park, the 11890 guys at the gates of their house with blaring music (put a big smile on my face), seeing some of my family on Heartbreak hill and my sis running part of it with me, my other sister cycling the last mile and a half with me (genius idea that she surprised me with on the day), crossing the finish line in 4.06 and getting my medal. The downs all came down to stomach cramps kicking in at mile 6 which saw me need 6 - yes 6 :eek:toilet breaks! After each of the first three breaks I caught back up with the 4 hr pacers but I gave up trying to catch them after the fourth and decided to keep to my own pace to get me in as close to 4 hours as I could get.

The ups far exceeded the downs though and I'll be back next next year to try and break four hours (with a motillium tablet in my pocket ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Same here, I thought I was grand. Walked into the physio all cocky telling him i was just a little stiff like I had taken up a new sport and stairs were fine. Well he knocked that out of me in less than 5 mins! I was nearly jumping off the table every time he hit a sore spot. I had to laugh so I wouldn't cry. He said sometimes it takes a few days for you to really notice the pain so now I'm beginning to feel progressively worse and feel I now look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

One of my thoughts going into yesterday's race was I'm definitely undertrained cause all my toenails are intact! Seriously, this really worried me...so to my delight I felt my right big toenail 'pop' around mile 15 and thought great, I'm a real marathoner now :D So today I'm sporting a very unflattering black toenail. Thing is it's fairly painful - not helped by the fact my kids kept standing on it :eek: Is this normal - I kinda thought it would be a pain free experience but its actually bothering me more than anything else. Oh and my feet are a bit swollen...anyone else getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

freezing, I was wondering was I going too slow?! Threw away my gloves and regretted it for miles. Holding the water bottle made my hands almost numb. Would definitely go long sleeves IF I was to do it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Yip was totally regretting ditching the gloves at the start line. I had short sleeves and shorts and my legs and arms were fine but hands were freezing. Mental note for next year - wear lightweight running gloves ;) I also wore one of those running headband things covering my ears, kept the head nice and warm so would use this again.

Advertisement