Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow !

Bag is almost ready, gear is laid out with number on !

I'll be hopefully running with the 3:45 group and ill be in an orange tshirt with 1016 on it.

Those that should be thanked will have to wait until the pub after the race ;)

Ps. I'm sick of pasta now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Checked into the hotel. Had a "nice" discussion with reception who were telling me late checkout was not available (despite me booking it online months ago) because half the hotel looked for it with the marathon on tomorrow. :)

One late check out confirmed later ;) myself and mrs messiah and our little one are in the room. Hoping to meet up with blockic later on at some point.

Went to the expo today. Really well organised number and goody bag collection. Particularly enjoyed my all be it brief visit to the pacers stand. Whilst picking up a 5 hour pace band I asked was there a slower one too as a fall back if 5 hours wasn't happening. Got politely and firmly told I was finishing in 5 hours and not to even think about having a pace to drop back to before being handed over to a 5 hour pacer to introduce myself. :D Loved the positivity of that.

Best of luck everyone tomorrow. Hope some of you will still be in the pub when I get there ! I'm debating getting back to the hotel for a shower (meant to be having dinner in the city tomorrow night with family who are coming in to see me run) shower means mcgrattans at 4 at earliest. Will people still be there ???

Can't see myself staying out the entire night with no shower (which will happen if I hit mcgrattans first as won't make it back for a shower then) hmmm what to do !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Trampas

they have sinks in mcgrattens i am sure PM.

socks ready, shorts ready, number on running shirt, runners ready.

watch charged, hrm ready.

bag ready with gels etc

just need a good kip tonight. looking forward to some grease for dinner tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

"My bags are packed and I'm ready to go!" Another one to add my thanks to everyone on this forum it's being a laugh and great for info and tips. I'm starting with the 5hr pacers and will see how I feel from there; will be wearing a Children's Sunshine Home/ Laura Lynn with Karl on the back, also plan on being in McGrattens after, is there a meeting spot inside?
    Best of luck to all and I hope u all have the run of your lives; remember, Persistence beats Resistance!

Trampas wrote: »
    they have sinks in mcgrattens i am sure PM.

Ha just had a mental image of a naked me sitting in the sink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sweep22

Whatever gets you through the race :eek:

Jeez over 207k views of this thread.. we're basically internet celebrities now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Trampas

sweep22 wrote: »
    Whatever gets you through the race :eek:

Jeez over 207k views of this thread.. we're basically internet celebrities now :cool:

I always knew we were something

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Guys... says in the race pack arrive no later than 8. That's alot of standing about! what time were the guys from 4:15 up thinking about heading in at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

....getting a sponge bath from trampas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Hi.thanks for all for support and advice.Best of luck everyone tomorrow! Hope to see u in pub afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Pretty much all set here. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, looking forward to all the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

Satanta wrote: »
    Guys... says in the race pack arrive no later than 8. That's alot of standing about! what time were the guys from 4:15 up thinking about heading in at?

I'm aiming on being there about 815 - it says the bag place closes at half eight so there must be a bit of leeway (I'm aiming for 415 too)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Hey PM, im looking forward to that porridge in the morning, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You know the marathon is close when you are putting the beers for tomorrow evening in the fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Good luck everyone, hope it all goes according to plan for you all, can believe its here already!

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Hey PM, im looking forward to that porridge in the morning, thanks again

Myself and Blockic are planning on heading up from reception around 7.50. I'm planning on tucking into said porridge around 7 if you fancy hooking up anywhere along the way. I'm sure Blockic will be eating around the same time so look out for bowls of porridge !

Myself and Blockic are planning on heading up from reception around 7.50. I'm planning on tucking into said porridge around 7 if you fancy hooking up anywhere along the way. I'm sure Blockic will be eating around the same time so look out for bowls of porridge !

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

I can't believe it's nearly here! Thanks a million to everyone on here thats given so much advice and support-What a fab bunch you all are! I've just Maanaged to put my name on my t-****t. Delighted with the result but know idea how to post a picture on here.
    Good luck everyone!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

My final post as a member of the hasn't-run-a-marathon community! :D
    Thanks seems like such a small word for what I want to say. I found this thread back in April when I was playing with the crazy idea of doing a marathon & it seemed like fate (I'm not at all superstitious, but of all the threads, in all of boards, this one wad on the home page when I logged in that day. I'd say it's barely left it since :) )
    6 months later, this thread & all the pros & other novices on here have kept my head in the game. There was more than one day when I didn't want to run, but the thought of a big fat zero on the spreadsheet got me out the door! Cheers for that PM, it's been the ultimate motivation tool!
    I've learned more about running than I ever thought I'd want to know from this group.
    And tomorrow the secret will be out! I'll finally tell my friends I was training for a marathon all summer & will probably have to tell my mum tonight since she's invited herself to stay!
    Good luck tomorrow everyone. Any problems, just slow down. We WILL do this! :)

(also thanks lads for the info on road closures & taxis. I can sleep sound tonight & save my precious energy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Nerves kicking in big-time. Stomach in knots. Feel like I'm getting a cold and Mr Slow's tale is looping through my head. Knees are tweaking like goodo, despite my 2m run this morning having been absolutely fine. Sick of pasta - never want to see it again. Tired all day but not sure how I'll sleep. Have been looking forward to this all along but now I'm plagued with doubts. And in 12hrs 7mins it'll be time to pee or get off the pot!

Good luck everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Just a short note tonight, will try and save some words for the race report...!

Just thanks to everybody on here. Quite simply, without this thread I wouldn't be doing the marathon tomorrow, wouldn't have lost two stone in weight, wouldn't have become so disciplined and wouldn't be already planning the next one!

Good luck to everyone, be it sub 3 or sub 5 it's a real fn achievement :)

Good night everyone. Sleep well.

Anyone reading this after 10 should be in bed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Good luck everyone! Gear ready, bag packed and now off to try and get some sleep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Disaster......checking out the website where you can track a runner and turns out they gave me the wrong race number at the EXPO..... Off to bed now as not much can do but fingers crossed can get sorted in the morning.....

If anyone out there got no 13152 give me a shout!!

Sleep tight everyone...

FiiFii wrote: »
    Disaster......checking out the website where you can track a runner and turns out they gave me the wrong race number at the EXPO..... Off to bed now as not much can do but fingers crossed can get sorted in the morning.....

Sleep tight everyone...

Nasty start but at least you noticed in advance and have time to get it sorted. Did they not check your number on way out ? I had to get mine scanned and the guy called my name back to me to make sure it was all correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Nasty start but at least you noticed in advance and have time to get it sorted. Did they not check your number on way out ? I had to get mine scanned and the guy called my name back to me to make sure it was all correct.

Don't fret about it, relax and if worst case run with that. Umber and get results updated afterwards. You have a valid number so don't let it stress u out in the build up. Enjoy it, it's their error, not yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

FiiFii wrote: »

Sleep tight everyone...

That's upsetting, I hope that didn't keep you awake!
    BUT once you have a Number you can run and that's what important the rest is admin. It's fairly chaotic before the start so unlikely anything will change

PM, its pretty crazy down there, had to queue for 15mins for porridge, hope you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Nice morning! Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Absolutely fantastic job by the 3:45 pacers, meno you're a legend !

Was with you all the way to 38k when both legs cramped :(

3:48:25 for me, and I have to be happy that I beat my b-target of 3;50.

Back next year to knock the socks off that time !

Advertisement