Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

npresto wrote: »
    Do you think there is enough room on your race number to write your name somewhere?

Hope so npresto that's my plan anyway! Not long til we find out :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and hope all goes to plan! Many thanks to one and all for great advice along the way - only wish I found ye sooner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!!

Just want to add my thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread over the last few months. The advice and support has been invaluable, covering everything from audiobooks to injuries! The training log kept me honest and i would definitely have chucked in the towel when injured a couple of months back if it wasnt for the support here. Even tho I did most of my runs on my own I never felt I was training alone. Looked forward to posting about the success/problems/issues after an LSR and reading about everyone else's! Gutted for those of you who have to miss out now but you will be back!

Enjoy the day, you all deserve to do great, give it socks, and hopefully meet up with a few of you in McGrattans after for some well deserved beers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Enjoy the day tomorrow, soak in the athmosphere and remember that the only person you need to beat is yourself

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

best of luck to everyoen tomorrow .especially the 4hr:30s....we usually stop for a bit of a picnic at bushy park so bring a bit of cake,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Can't believe the day is almost here!!! Good luck everyone. This time tomorrow we'll be well on our way - feel very privileged to be lining up for my first Dublin marathon tomorrow. Really enjoyed the journey, much aided by the advice and genuine camaraderie on here. Volunteerism at its best. Thanks to YoungAnne and all the other expert contributors. You deserve an award of some sort! Enjoy the build up and stay fierce out there, as Tyra Banks might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

The most important thing to remember about tomorrow is that the session is on in McGrattan's, when it gets tough just dig in and tell yourself you'll be in the pub soon, pint in hand, finisher's tshirt on and a smile like you slept with a coat hanger in your mouth.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Long time lurker - first time poster.

Good luck tomorrow everyone :)

Thanks for all the great advice on this thread over the last few months - all 5000+ posts! especially to Younganne, Raycun and the other regular contributors.

Keep on running!

mikethemechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Thanks everyone! Couldn't have got here and the starting line without all your help.

I want to wish everyone the very best of luck but I think you make your own luck and by using everyone's help here, you have already done that.

So all you have to do now is turn up and have a ball tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    best of luck to everyoen tomorrow .especially the 4hr:30s....we usually stop for a bit of a picnic at bushy park so bring a bit of cake,

You make it sound like a doddle :) hope to be with ye tomorrow although time will tell as to whether I'm still with ye at the end ! Have had a dodgy few weeks with injury but you never know ! Cake would definately finish me off though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yep, thank you YoungAnne and all the other mentors - it was invaluable to have the benefit of your advice and experience during the 750k or so of training runs. It's really been helpful and no doubt played a part in the success of those of us making it to the start line in one piece. All the best to everyone tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Folks, just want to say best of luck to you all for tomorrow.

It breaks my heart to say it, but I've had to withdraw from the race. Running the marathon on an already pulled muscle is not a good idea. Spoke to a physio at the Expo, and also to my doctor, and both advised against it. Could cripple me for a long time afterwards, and I don't think it's worth it.

Thanks to all and wish you the best of luck on Monday. I'll be running it in spirit, and hopefully next year I'll be running it in person.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Trampas

It breaks my heart to say it, but I've had to withdraw from the race. Running the marathon on an already pulled muscle is not a good idea. Spoke to a physio at the Expo, and also to my doctor, and both advised against it. Could cripple me for a long time afterwards, and I don't think it's worth it.

Thanks to all and wish you the best of luck on Monday. I'll be running it in spirit, and hopefully next year I'll be running it in person.

Pity Kev. Sure you will be back soon after muscle is all recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Really sorry to hear that. Must be extremely disappointing for you but you are definitely doing the right thing. All the best for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

So sorry to hear that. Hope you recover soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 midnightrun

the very best of luck to everyone tomorrow. the hard work is done. relax and put the feet up for the evening. thanks to all the contributors on boards. see ya'll at the finish line !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Sorry to hear that. Have been in a similar situation before. It really really sucks but you'll get over it.

It's sucks but if the medical people advise aganist it then you are doing the right thing. From personal experience don't lose the fitness you've gained. I made the mistake of sitting back entirely even after i was cleared again. As soon as it is safe for you to run then get back out there.

There will be other marathons. Hope you recover soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Good luck everyone, I know I joined here late but for everyone it has been a long journey that started out being measured in months, now just a few miles and realistically just a couple of hours; everyone has their own story full of ups and downs but to get this far is a really significant achievement. All of us should be proud of our efforts.

To the mentors, thank you, you've all played a really big role in getting us here.

To our injured contributors, chin up, I'll certainly be thinking of you, there'll be a first marathon for you soon.

To all of us new guys and girls, enjoy the day, savour the atmosphere and run strong & safely. Heres to tomorrow and all of us joining the 1% club.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Good luck to everyone and thanks very much for the advice from people. Hopefully I'll be part of the improvers thread next year!

Is anyone else getting bored of waiting for this? I just wanna do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Another lurker here!

Been through every page of this thread, and have gotten some valuable advice from you lot!

Really nervous about it all, but I trust in the power of the crowd that I can stick to the 4.30 pacers to the end so long as the blisters hold off!

Best of luck to everybody!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

Can I just say: aaaaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Good luck to everyone taking part tomorrow. Hope everyone meets their goals. I hope we'll all be back here next year getting ready to run again.

A big thanks to the YoungAnne and the other more experienced runners for all the mentorship.

I'm looking forward to meeting more of you tomorrow. I'll be hanging around the 4:15 pacers in my Brainwave Ireland T-shirt my number is 13197.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Hope someone can put my mind at rest about getting a taxi in tomorrow morning!
    I've booked a taxi for 730 tomorrow, it's probably 15-20 mins max on a regular day into the city centre, from the Navan Road. My boyfriend has me freaking out about road closures & my taxi having to drop me miles away from the start :( Looked on the Dublin City Council for road closures & it looks like only the very city centre is closed completely. Northside traffic will be diverted down Gardiner St.

Can anyone reassure me 100% that this will indeed be the case tomorrow? If I can be dropped as close as Bus Aras or thereabouts, I can walk to the start handy enough. But I don't want to have to walk from 3 miles out!

Wondering am I mad to take my bike in??? It's downhill a lot of the way, then easy & flat, & I'd be fine with leaving my bike in town overnight (or more realistically for a few days, I've done it before.) But I could be wasting precious energy!!!

Stick with the taxi? Come in much earlier? Take my bike? Aaaaaaaagh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hope someone can put my mind at rest about getting a taxi in tomorrow morning!
    I've booked a taxi for 730 tomorrow, it's probably 15-20 mins max on a regular day into the city centre, from the Navan Road. My boyfriend has me freaking out about road closures & my taxi having to drop me miles away from the start :( Looked on the Dublin City Council for road closures & it looks like only the very city centre is closed completely. Northside traffic will be diverted down Gardiner St.

Can anyone reassure me 100% that this will indeed be the case tomorrow? If I can be dropped as close as Bus Aras or thereabouts, I can walk to the start handy enough. But I don't want to have to walk from 3 miles out!

Wondering am I mad to take my bike in??? It's downhill a lot of the way, then easy & flat, & I'd be fine with leaving my bike in town overnight (or more realistically for a few days, I've done it before.) But I could be wasting precious energy!!!

Stick with the taxi? Come in much earlier? Take my bike? Aaaaaaaagh!!!!

I've took a taxi in a few times and got to Leeson St No problems. I would imagine the Rd closures won't kick in until the race itself starts...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Taxi is fine, cross the Liffey at the Customs House, get dropped on Westland Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

I'd like to add my thanks seeing as discovering this thread got me over the line when I first started thinking about entering. Thanks for all the help and comments. Not sure if I read it here or somewhere else but apparently dedicating a mile to people is meant to help the miles go by. With that in mind, I will dedicate mile 4 as we enter the phoenix park to everyone here ( & those who had to drop out). Not that I think mile 4 will be bad but it might be a distraction from everyone jumping into the bushes (& I hope I won't be one of them!)

#15429. Purple t-shirt with Dee scribbled across it in case you come across me!
    Best of luck and ENJOY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I just realised the only bags allowed in baggage area is the official one we got at expo! I've my gym bag all packed with sticker on. Anyone know if they'll actually refuse other bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 W_J_Happen

I just realised the only bags allowed in baggage area is the official one we got at expo! I've my gym bag all packed with sticker on. Anyone know if they'll actually refuse other bags?

The FAQ guy at the expo said they would only accept official bags no exceptions - if i were you I'd move the stuff into the official one - why take the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Just filled in my last run on the training log....:(..momentous occasion..
    Lovely easy 2 miler this morning to get the blood moving - empty roads and kept imagining what it'll be like tomorrow with 1,000's of others and cheering 'fans'...

Went up to Dundrum then this afternoon to get some last minute stuff and had a minor panic attack thinking of tomorrow - just gotta keep in mind its just a long run with lots and lots of people (and visualize myself crossing the finish line with a big grin on my face and it'll happen :D)

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice, support, encouragement. Sorry to hear of last minute pull outs cos of injury - fingers crossed for you all on a speedy recovery and a marathon in 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Oh - and people, don't forget the baby wipes and deodorant on your bag pack list if you're planning on going for drinks afterwards or everyone will be keeping a wide berth from your lovely sweaty self... ;)

Plan on popping into McGrattens for a drink after (if I can move) to say hi so hope to see some of you there

Advertisement