Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You [RQ] had a core workout programme in a post somewhere, didn't you? I must do a bit myself sometime...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RK are you going to physio or anything? or still going to Pete? If you're still going to Pete I definitely think it might be worth booking a personal training session or two to get a good idea of what sort of work you should be doing to strenghten up those areas. The benifit of getting Pete to make one up for you is that by doing the massage he knows exactly where needs work, whats unbalanced etc and I can vouch for him, he is a good personal trainer and it's always beneficial to get someone to teach you how to do exercises properly. Youtube can't watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong. :)

Went to the physio at FTI 2 weeks ago, got prescribed exercises. I know I've slacked on core work over the last few months (and had a twinge in my back in April too), but didn't really think that the effects would be as dramatic as they have been!

Just wish everything would hurry up and heal up, I'm getting very sick of being in pain a lot of the time in general and every time I run... I did about 6.5km yesterday evening and when I finished the run at the Spar (emergency bread run!) my back locked up pretty much as soon as I went inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

Definitely a case for why runners need to do core and strength work. So many people run through 'niggles' that probably wouldn't exist if they had a proper strength routine. Can't understand why so many people stick to the belief that runners don't need to do this stuff. Only takes about 10 minutes - a lot less time than you'll spend depressed when you get injured. :D

I recommend "Convict Conditioning" to everybody - simple bodyweight program, that starts very easy and has clear progression steps. It covers 6 basic movements (push-up, pull-up, squat, leg lift, bridge, handstand push-up), but if you have specific injuries/issues get additional exercises from physio.

RK, it's fine to take a break from running! I didn't run at all for 3 months at the start of this year (calf dry needling, then various infections), but kept doing the CC program and although starting back running was quite tough, I recently improved both 5m & 10m times from last year by about 5 minutes! (5m was a bit soft target :P). That's on running 3 days a week + CC 2-3 other days. So - take a break, get stronger, and come back with force! And don't forget about warm-up, stretching and foam rolling ("the grid" - my best running related investment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Definitely a case for why runners need to do core and strength work. So many people run through 'niggles' that probably wouldn't exist if they had a proper strength routine. Can't understand why so many people stick to the belief that runners don't need to do this stuff. Only takes about 10 minutes - a lot less time than you'll spend depressed when you get injured. :D

Agree with this. Weights aswell. No reason why distance runners shouldn't do a certain amount of weights/ gym work to improve core strength. People focus too much on mileage. Mileage will obviously lead to improvements but if the body isn't strong enough to take the extra mileage then what's the point! Counter productive.

Physio again on Wed - more pain, more exercises etc, not much change between this week and the last time. Argh.

• Advertisement

Did about 13km today (won't mention pace, it was pretty slow), there has been some improvement in the last few days - I've been quite diligent about the exercises and foam rolling, and I was using the temporary lift in my shoe that I got from the physio to try and correct the 1cm functional leg length discrepancy that she noticed. Less pain on this one, though it feels like my fitness has gone to hell, next Sun is not going to be pretty. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sounds like you've been through the mill RK. It's such a shame as The Great Northern run was a goal race for you. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you not to put pressure of a time on yourself, just go and enjoy the race and weekend :)

2 more short runs this week (about 6.5km on Tuesday evening and about 5km yesterday evening), didn't bother looking at or uploading the Garmin data. Not in too much pain thankfully, and have been keeping up with the core work prescribed by the physio every day.

GNR this weekend then... 6 hours from now I'll be boarding my flight over. I'm not ready. This summer has been a struggle the whole way running-wise and the run on Sunday won't be pretty. I had originally set the goal of 1:45, kinda reinforced that after running 1:50:59 in Limerick back in May even with a fall. The back/hip/pelvis/everything in between injury has been very troublesome for a while though - running hasn't been comfortable, with pain in my back, a pinching sensation in my hip, and the feeling that something was pulling across my groin, and a general lack of power in my legs (I've found it exceptionally difficult to pick up the pace at all). The goal has been out the window for a good while, and I've felt like saying a couple of times "f*ck it". If we hadn't booked everything months ago, then I would have seriously considered pulling out. I'm not ready. At all. I've run 2 8-milers as my longest runs in the last month.

So what goals do I have? Finish, enjoy the day, and don't run my slowest half-marathon ever. That's it really. Aim after this has to be just getting the body sorted out, I may not race again in 2012. I may bring chocolates to the pub after DCM again though ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Enjoy your race, pick yourself up, dust yourself off - road trip to Waterford half December 1st. Sub 1:45 in the bag. :D

Go out at a nice controlled, easy, comfortable pace that you can hold for 13 miles and feck everything else. This is one of those races almost everyone wants to do so just enjoy it. Probably not a pb race with the crowds anyway. Plenty of time to repair and target Waterford if you want to and go for sub 1:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

By the sounds of it, this is a race where a lot of people are there to have fun. So join them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Go out on the smash. From what I've heard Newcastle is a savage place for a beer.

Best of luck with the run. Hopefully you'll get good weather and there'll be great crowds. Best half marathon in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Newcastle is savage craic! We were there one weekend and one of my mates ended up with a hole in the sole of his shoe from partying so hard....:rolleyes:

Just enjoy the run - screw the pressure! It'll be a good laugh and a great experience.

Already laying claim to the choccies in McGrattans...it'll be the usual box of celebrations right?! Mmmmm :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck RK. Hope you have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sounds like this could be a blast. With no time pressure the only job you have is to enjoy it. :D
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hope its a great day for you and the run is painfree and enjoyable, forget about the clock.

TL: DR - 2:15:40, my 2nd slowest half marathon ever. Finished, but it wasn't pretty, and I ended up in the physio tent at mile 10. Will write a proper race report when I'm less tired and Game Of Thrones isn't on the tellybox.

Did you go to the monkey on Friday? I was gunna spend yee to Spencers but I thought that would be a bit mean. Though Tallaght and Limerick would have fit in nicely in Spencers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Did you go to the monkey on Friday? I was gunna spend yee to Spencers but I thought that would be a bit mean. Though Tallaght and Limerick would have fit in nicely in Spencers. :D

What is that thou speakest of? The tongue of the Ferma does not sense make. :cool:

Did you go to the monkey on Friday?

Went for one, seemed to be closing awful early though!

We were behaving ourselves though, not much drink at all over the weekend until after the race. *pings halo*

Went for one, seemed to be closing awful early though!

We were behaving ourselves though, not much drink at all over the weekend until after the race. *pings halo*

The monkey never closes :pac:

• Advertisement

Right, time to write the race report at last :pac:

As ye know, I wasn't in the slightest bit ready for this, so was rather nervous by the time Sunday morning rolled around! Could barely face eating my breakfast, but needless to say it didn't go to waste due to a certain person practically inhaling the mini croissants :pac: Needed a bit of a kick in the arse to actually get on the Metro up to the start, carrying my bag around on Saturday afternoon to the CityGames had slightly aggravated my back and the thought of running 13.1 miles was pretty much the last thing on earth I wanted to do. Bit of a walk up to the start, and absolutely insane queues for the portaloos along the way. Men... fcuk them and their ability to take an easy slash against any available wall. Got to my corral probably about 20 mins before the race start, with a huge warmup in progress, which appeared to be using the Mobot and Bolt arms as stretches... my support team decided it was time to take photos of me participating in this :p Pretty insane to see though just how big and how busy the start is - filling up both lanes of a dual carriageway for a fairly decent distance. I was in the 4th pen and it took about 8-10 minutes to get over the start line, I cannot imagine how slow it must have been for people in the ones near the back. That said, I was further forward than I should have been, and probably should have gone to the desk at the expo and moved back some.

As soon as I started running, I knew it would be an exercise in pain. I could feel my back twinge with every running step, it would be a long morning on the road to South Shields and the rain that started after about 2-3km didn't help matters. The support along the course was amazing, loads of people out lining the course, loads of unofficial water/jelly baby/cool pop stations, even beer from the Newcastle Hash House Harriers! This made for a great atmosphere, and was definitely a bit of a lift along the way. A very high proportion of the field seemed to be running for charity, with a huge variety represented. A few people making a joke of it too - charity runners had an "I'm running for..." back number and saw a few funny ones: "I'm running for... a KFC and a pint", "I'm running for... away from the mrs!" etc. :D The back eased a little after about 3km, and stayed at a fairly low level pain-wise until about the 10km mark. Started to get worse again after the halfway point, and got really bad after I walked through a water stop just after the 8 mile mark. It was completely locking up between 8 and 10 miles, thankfully someone decided to run with me and chat away for those miles, and it got me through to the mile 10 physio tent. Got a bit of a massage there, and got sprayed with a metric fcukton of Biofreeze, and got moving at roughly the speed of an arthritic 90 year old. Everything after this was at roughly a 6.30-7 min/km pace and was very hard on my quads because they were taking up a huge amount of slack from my back in terms of generating power. This is the first race where I actually walked during the race... there was a hill at roughly mile 11.5 just after a water station and I decided to take the chance to get the water down too so walked up the hill. 3 marathons where I've run every step and my poor crocked body struggled with a half :(

Coming into the finish area was like a stage in the Tour de France... both sides of the road absolutely thronged with supporters and loads of noise :D Was never as glad to see a finish line as I was that day, was just relieved that the time on my Garmin had not hit 2:17:35 (the time of my first half). Goody bag then in the finish area, then trying to get in touch with anyone was a gigantic pain in the arse due to crowds. Did get to see the Red Arrows though in the meantime, they put on quite a show afterwards! :) Got the very nice surprise of a cookie once I'd reunited with Brian, don't think I've ever gobbled one down so quickly. Gregg's white chocolate, it was pretty damn good :D

Transport was a bit of a cluster**** though. Queues for the trains from South Shields were absolutely insane (well over an hour). We ended up walking back to the buses, and getting one of those back into Newcastle, having to pay extra on top of the wristbands for the Metro we'd got the day before. Extra walking and paying more for public transport were not exactly on the "Things That Make Me Happy" list at that stage, but it had to be done. :mad:

Still a great race though - I just wish I could actually do it justice if I do it in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

J, that sounded like absolute torture, I'm thinking you're a bit of a sadist. Well done on finishing it though. If that isn't character building, I don't know what is!

Back to the physio at lunchtime today - got prescribed loads more core work, but no running for 2 weeks. Can cycle and swim all I want though... hopefully a good long cycle next weekend!

Well, 2 weeks off running, plenty of cross training and about a week or so back on the road later, I was back at the physio today. Things have definitely improved - less pain while running (and in general), the strength work has definitely helped. Still not entirely there though, I need to keep the mileage really low for a while (physio says about 12-15mpw for the rest of Oct), and concentrate on the strength work. Pretty happy overall, at least things are looking up a bit there, even if it's a relatively slow process. I'm not in any rush, once I get things right in the end I'll be happy.

Gym sessions on Thurs night and this evening (core and weights both nights, swim on Thurs too), and short (5km-ish, roughly 6 min/km pace) runs on the other days except Friday (I should have ran, the football was depressing :mad: ). Going ok, not too much pain while running thankfully. Feeling a bit stronger while running too, so pretty happy in general with how things are going.

Nice of ya to acknowledge my existence this time. :pac:

Nice of ya to acknowledge my existence this time. :pac:

Still off in my own little world when I'm running :pac:

About 6.5km this evening, roughly 6 min/km pace. Longest run since GNR 32 days ago, embarrassingly enough. Enjoyed it though, even if I did get a bit damp at the start!

You missed me nearly going on my snot by a couple of minutes. If you'd run a little faster you'd have got some mid-run entertainment.:cool:

Fri - 30 min run - roughly 6 min/km pace
    Sat - 2 hr yoga workshop - hips and hamstrings focus. Well worth it, it did a great job of loosening out my chronically (and often painfully) tight right hip.
    Sun - 40 min run, no Garmin because I'm a big eejit and forgot it.

Hoping to get 4 40 min runs and 2 gym sessions in next week... we'll see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Sun - 40 min run, no Garmin because I'm a big eejit and forgot it.

You set your HM pb in Limerick without a garmin, no need for it :p

Right about the eejit part though :p

Advertisement