Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sun 17th - plan was 90 mins easy. Did pretty much exactly that - 15km covered, 6.02/km average pace, average HR slightly higher than it should have been for this. Not a bad day for it at all, apart from the few random rain showers along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Weekly mileage? Miles to date in 2012? Your log sucks :p

41km-ish this week, no idea about my total for the year because I havent updated the 1000 mile challenge since February...

Mon 18th - plan was 30min recovery run. 5km covered, 6:30/km average pace. Had to get this out of the way before the match so straight out after work. Not too bad out there, wouldn't have minded a longer one.

Tues 19th - plan for this evening was 60 mins easy. Had a sports massage this morning (7am, because being half-asleep dulls the pain), so legs were a bit heavy throughout the run this evening and I kept it very easy. 9km covered, 6.20/km average pace.

• Advertisement

Wed 20th - plan for this evening was 2 miles easy, 10x300 with equal recoveries, 2 miles easy. Thanks to not getting out of work until 8pm ( :mad: ), it was rather late by the time I got out. Made a slight concession in that I shortened the warmup and cooldown to the 2.2km between my apartment and the polo grounds, apart from that got through the session as intended. Yesterday's sports massage certainly helped, legs felt much fresher. Reps were all between 1.18 and 1.21 - grass track and rain were probably slight limiters here. Was pretty happy with the session overall, was so annoyed when I got out of work that doing the session was probably the healthiest way of dealing with that... but I felt stronger than I have in a while too.

Total distance covered roughly 8km (did not record recoveries on Garmin), average HR 165 / max was a rather crazy spike.

Friday 22nd - did a 40 min-ish easy run, didn't have time for any further due to other plans for the evening. 6.5km covered, roughly 6 min/km average pace.

Sat 23rd - Dunshaughlin 10k. 50:05. Gutted isn't the word and I wish I'd just done an easy 10 miles that morning instead rather than race at all.

Starting to think that the 10km distance hates me, I haven't been happy with one since GIR 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So disappointed for you on Sat. Next one J.

Tues 26th - 12.35km easy, 5.54/km average pace, average HR 160. Enjoyed this, lovely warm evening and pretty much banished most thoughts of Saturday from my mind.

Wed 27th - just a short one so I wouldn't miss too much of the football. 6.5km covered, 6.10/km average pace, no HRM. Felt pretty relaxed throughout, though it was crazy humid out.

Thurs 28th - slightly longer one this evening which caused me to miss most of the match - 11km done, 5.55/km average pace, no HRM. Stupid work and making it difficult to mix watching football and running :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

And, another plus, one thousand posts in this thread - whooo!!! :D:)

Fri 29th - session on the plan, missed it due to feeling absolutely wrecked, did 7.5km easy, 6.05/km average pace.

Sat 30th - no Garmin, did around 8-9km (ish) running up to the end of the 5 mile race.

Sun 1st - plan was 1 hr 40 easy. Did 16.7km in total, average pace 6.10/km-ish. Ran with Aimman for this one, so was chatting the whole way around. Enjoyed that run, need to be getting some more decent long runs in.

Mon 2nd - Plan was 30 mins recovery, missed this due to only getting in from work at an absolutely stupid hour of the evening. :mad:

Tues 3rd - plan was 60 mins easy, did 10.5km at 6.06 min/km average pace, average HR 154. Felt like a bit of a slog for the first half but was grand after that. Did a bit of foam rolling and core work afterwards.

Wed 4th - plan was 2 miles easy, 10x300m, 2 miles easy. Stopped the session after 4 reps after puking my guts up. Not happy.

Thurs 5th - no run, last day in my job and there was vodka consumed after work.

Fri 6th - did Thursday's planned 1 hour easy run, 10km covered, 6 min/km average pace.

Sat 7th - plan was 2 miles easy, 4 miles tempo, 2 miles easy. Started out on my run, but was getting so much abuse from people going to the Swedish House Mafia gig (fcuking scumbags) that I just turned around after less than a mile and went home. Did a shortened version of the session when I got over to my mam's that evening, 1 mile easy, 3 mile tempo, 1 mile easy. Tempo bit was at about 4.55/km average pace, easy bits were at about 6 min/km pace.

Sun 8th - plan was 1 hr 45 mins easy. Ended up stopping after just over 6km, stomach being tempremental again. Not happy with that, might try chancing that run again tomorrow evening and hopefully it won't be pissing rain too. :eek:

****e week this week, hopefully better next week but there's a massive Crystal Palace Diamond League-shaped obstacle there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

was getting so much abuse from people going to the Swedish House Mafia gig (fcuking scumbags) that I just turned around after less than a mile and went home.

Seriously??!

Yet to talk to somebody who was actually at the gig (or in the vicinity in your case). Was it really as disgraceful as it seems to have been?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Seriously??!

Yet to talk to somebody who was actually at the gig (or in the vicinity in your case). Was it really as disgraceful as it seems to have been?

9 stabbings (with rumours that there were more), reports of people leaving before the concert actually started and three (at least) deaths from overdoses. Would definitely suggest there was a lot of drink and drug fueled sh*t, more in comparison to other gigs...

Seriously??!

I got up about as far as Ryans. People practically climbing out their car windows to hurl abuse, people breathing smoke in your face as you go past, guy semi-conscious on the ground at Heuston and people just pointing and laughing, scumbags trying to push their mates intl the moving Luas on the bridge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

9 stabbings (with rumours that there were more), reports of people leaving before the concert actually started and three (at least) deaths from overdoses. Would definitely suggest there was a lot of drink and drug fueled sh*t, more in comparison to other gigs...

Yeah, I read all the reports but you can still think 'well maybe it was only a small element' like the promoter and certain others will claim.

What 'rainbow kirby' experienced indicates that it was the vast majority of the 45000 people behaving like scumbags. I was reading today that families leaving the zoo about 5.30 had to wait around for the crowd to clear for safety reasons. Great bunch of people intimidating families out for the day and people out running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Yeah, I read all the reports but you can still think 'well maybe it was only a small element' like the promoter and certain others will claim.

What 'rainbow kirby' experienced indicates that it was the vast majority of the 45000 people behaving like scumbags. I was reading today that families leaving the zoo about 5.30 had to wait around for the crowd to clear for safety reasons. Great bunch of people intimidating families out for the day and people out running.

Its absolutely disgraceful and seems to be the type of crowd they attract in this countru for some reason. You can go see the same DJs in any other country and relatively hassle free.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Too much alcohol, not enough other drugs...

• Advertisement

Mon 9th - plan was 30 mins recovery, did pretty much exactly that. 5km covered, average pace 6.17/km (which is still possibly a little too fast for a recovery run).

Tues 10th - plan was 2 miles easy, 10x300m with equal recoveries, 2 miles easy. Headed towards the polo grounds, where there was a park ranger slow-driving a jeep around like he was on Cops or something. Ended up going back out to the road out of Chapelizod to do the session. Garmin paused during recoveries, so total distance covered just over 9km, reps between 1.17 and 1.25, average overall pace for the run 5.46/km.

Wed 11th - plan was 1 hour easy, did 10km-ish, 6.12/km average pace. No HRM strap.

Thurs 12th - plan was 2 miles easy, 4x12 min @ HM pace, 2 miles easy. Didn't quite finish this because I was in absolute misery mode with the lovely Irish summer weather. HM pace bits were actually slightly slower in the end than they should be, more like 5.15/km than 5 min :eek: Covered 7 miles anyway.

Fri 13th - had to squeeze this in early as I had to go to work for a few hours in the morning before flying out to London at lunchtime for the Diamond League meeting at Crystal Palace. 5km done, roughly 6.15/km pace, this was an absolute slog and proves once again that I am possibly the world's worst morning runner.

<athletics, getting rained on, ale...>

Monday 16th - just got out for a nice easy one. 8km done, 6.02/km pace, average HR 151 / max 186. Very chilled out run, enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Monday 16th - just got out for a nice easy one. 8km done, 6.02/km pace, average HR 151 / max 186. Very chilled out run, enjoyed that.

Pretty sure I passed you at the bottom roundabout in the Park on my way home from footie training. I beeped the horn but there was no reaction from you...#inthezone!

Been a while since I've posted here, summer training has been nothing but an absolute disaster. Was dealing with the double whammy of probably the worst hayfever season I've ever had combined with the back and hip injury I described in the injuries thread (basically, the right side of my pelvis has tilted upwards due to muscles in my back and hip going into spasm, from what the physio says the root cause is related to my glutes). Missed some time due to travelling too (long weekend for the Olympics and then another one for Zurich just there) and the net effect is that I am in no way, shape or form ready for the Great North Run on September 16. I'll finish alright, but it won't be pretty, I may struggle to break 2 hours and I'm going to be a bit cranky afterwards.

Gonna have to be a good long think afterwards though about where my running is going... I am so injury-prone and it's getting really old at this stage. Haven't gone more than about 6-8 months injury or illness-free in over 2 years. With my current injury cycling causes less discomfort than running, maybe it's time to show Xena some love...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Been a while since I've posted here, summer training has been nothing but an absolute disaster. Was dealing with the double whammy of probably the worst hayfever season I've ever had combined with the back and hip injury I described in the injuries thread (basically, the right side of my pelvis has tilted upwards due to muscles in my back and hip going into spasm, from what the physio says the root cause is related to my glutes). Missed some time due to travelling too (long weekend for the Olympics and then another one for Zurich just there) and the net effect is that I am in no way, shape or form ready for the Great North Run on September 16. I'll finish alright, but it won't be pretty, I may struggle to break 2 hours and I'm going to be a bit cranky afterwards.

Gonna have to be a good long think afterwards though about where my running is going... I am so injury-prone and it's getting really old at this stage. Haven't gone more than about 6-8 months injury or illness-free in over 2 years. With my current injury cycling causes less discomfort than running, maybe it's time to show Xena some love...

RK, sorry to hear you are having a tough time with injury. for what its worth hayfever/sinusitis is at its worst for alot of people this summer. :( I have been plagued with the sinusitis for the whole summer, bar 2/3 weeks in July

I was at Physio last night and my body is a bit battered too. Physio reckons after Dublin(heres hoping i make the line), that i have to take time out to rehabilitate, get my body stronger(my hips are very weak, leading to all sorts of other problems) and then i should be good to go. Im starting Pilates with the Physio in 2 weeks so that should be the start of my recovery..
    Maybe if you strengthen and build up your problem areas, see how the running is going then before you write it off completely!!
    use the cycling in the mean time to keep the fitness levels up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Hello there 'stranger', long time no post!
    Sorry to hear about the injuries and niggles, you have had your fair share of those.

Younganne wrote: »
    I was at Physio last night and my body is a bit battered too. Physio reckons after Dublin(heres hoping i make the line), that i have to take time out to rehabilitate, get my body stronger(my hips are very weak, leading to all sorts of other problems) and then i should be good to go. Im starting Pilates with the Physio in 2 weeks so that should be the start of my recovery..
    Maybe if you strengthen and build up your problem areas, see how the running is going then before you write it off completely!!
    use the cycling in the mean time to keep the fitness levels up.

Definitely a case for why runners need to do core and strength work. So many people run through 'niggles' that probably wouldn't exist if they had a proper strength routine. Can't understand why so many people stick to the belief that runners don't need to do this stuff. Only takes about 10 minutes - a lot less time than you'll spend depressed when you get injured. :D

RK are you going to physio or anything? or still going to Pete? If you're still going to Pete I definitely think it might be worth booking a personal training session or two to get a good idea of what sort of work you should be doing to strenghten up those areas. The benifit of getting Pete to make one up for you is that by doing the massage he knows exactly where needs work, whats unbalanced etc and I can vouch for him, he is a good personal trainer and it's always beneficial to get someone to teach you how to do exercises properly. Youtube can't watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong. :)

I feel i need to defend myself here........Just to clarify, I have never run through niggles or injuries, nor would I recommend it, and my current calf injury is my first injury in 3 years running.

However I do have weak hips/pelvis (due to back injury few yrs back and 3 pregnancies) and if I get it strengthen then it will hopefully mean I won’t have injuries.

Yes core training is greatly underrated and something I intend to fix…..Kettlebells last year helped me greatly but I just didn’t managed to get back to class this year!!

Younganne wrote: »
    I feel i need to defend myself here........Just to clarify, I have never run through niggles or injuries, nor would I recommend it, and my current calf injury is my first injury in 3 years running.

However I do have weak hips/pelvis (due to back injury few yrs back and 3 pregnancies) and if I get it strengthen then it will hopefully mean I won’t have injuries.

Yes core training is greatly underrated and something I intend to fix…..Kettlebells last year helped me greatly but I just didn’t managed to get back to class this year!!

Never said you did :) Just runners do it in general

• Advertisement

Never said you did :) Just runners do it in general

phew, thought you meant me!!;)

Advertisement