Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You set your HM pb in Limerick without a garmin, no need for it :p

Right about the eejit part though :p

Who was the eejit that forgot his Garmin for pacing and yoinked mine? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fri - 30 min run - roughly 6 min/km pace
    Sat - 2 hr yoga workshop - hips and hamstrings focus. Well worth it, it did a great job of loosening out my chronically (and often painfully) tight right hip.
    Sun - 40 min run, no Garmin because I'm a big eejit and forgot it.

Hoping to get 4 40 min runs and 2 gym sessions in next week... we'll see :)

No garmin. No run. Doesn't count.

Mon - 40 min-ish easy run, definitely feeling a bit more comfortable while running these days. 6.10/km average pace.

Tues - 1km swim and core/strength work in the gym - enjoyed this, and my squats are definitely improving :)

I need swimming lessons though. Have to do something about my **** technique. :eek:

Wed - 40 min run, pretty slow (6.25/km-ish pace) but quite comfortable. Back in time to see
    Ajax have their way with Man City in the 2nd half
    . Delightful :)

Sat - 30 min easy run before heading to see the new Bond movie :)

Sun - 50 min easy run, sweating the beer out (before some bank holiday "rehydration" :pac: )

Mon - supporting all those nutters doing the marathon! About 95% of me was thinking "Nope, glad I'm not doing it, that just looks like way too much pain right now" and 5% thinking "I wonder could I break 4 hrs again at some stage...".

Tues - was late starting my run and got caught in the rain. Wussed out. Glad I did in a way, caught the end of normal time in the Reading-Arsenal epic when I got back...

Wed - 1km swim and core/weights session in the gym. Good workout, and I'd rather that than go running while the Dublin 8 pondscum are out trying to blow up a small piece of the country with the finest bangers ever to fall off the back of a truck.

• Advertisement

Thurs - 40 min easy run, first half very slow because it was into a stiff (and really goddamn cold) headwind, second half much better once I got that wind behind me :) Roughly 6.15/km average pace overall.

Fri - 75 min ashtanga yoga class (which ran over time, so I got my value!). Lots of hip-opening poses, which is great for me :)

Sat - 45 min easy run - roughly 7.5km covered, roughly 6 min/km average pace. Lovely day for it, legs slightly dead after last night but c'est la vie.

Sun - 8km easy run, just over 6 min/km average pace. I had blanked from my mind how much of a horrible hilly drag the Firhouse road is...

Mon - 1km swim and weights at the gym. Getting stronger, yay :)

If this log just looks like me pissing around doing what I feel like at the moment - well that's about right. No real structure at all, just doing what I feel like. I'm scared to push my running distance or intensity while I'm still recovering from this injury, and I need to keep strength training up. Also the gym/yoga studio/whatever is warm and it's fcuking cold out :pac:

Tues - 40 min easy run, roughly 6.5km covered. Threw in a few strides too, felt pretty good :)

Wed - 30 min easy run, felt like more effort but that's my own fault - stayed up until 3am last night being a total dork watching US election coverage. D'oh :pac: Early night tonight!

Fri - flying

Sat - slacking

Sun - 35 min easy run around Hampstead Heath - this was absolutely gorgeous! Sun shining and lovely surroundings, appreciating not being in pain and looking forward to a big durty fry afterwards... :D

• Advertisement

Mon - gym session - physio rehab work, other lifts, plenty of stretching and some yoga poses. Think it's time to start squatting with a barbell rather than doing goblet squats soon, 26-28kg dumbbells are getting a bit unwieldy... :eek:

Tues - 40 min easy run, roughly 6 min/km pace
    Wed - 30 min very slow run, roughly 7 min/km pace (was absolutely wrecked for some reason, so took it very easy)
    Thurs - 40 min easy run - had a twinge in my back on the opposite side to the injury, weird... could be caused by breaking in a new pair of 2170s though, or not needing a 5mm heel lift any more.
    Fri - 1 hr 15 min ashtanga yoga class, strong core focus, which was great :)

Sat - nothing
    Sun - tried to get out but my back was twinging by the time I got about 500m up the road
    Mon - swim and gym - had to cut my swim short at 750m because someone in the lane beside me had really strong perfume on and it was making me cough like a banshee every time I swam past, did my usual set at the gym and tried to stretch my back out a bit.
    Tues - slacker

Heading back to the physio tomorrow lunchtime. Only change that has happened is going into a new pair of the same shoes I was wearing before, weird that my back could just flare up again now... :mad:

Thurs - went to the physio, turns out that the niggle was most likely from the combination of the heel lift and a new pair of 2170s. I can get rid of the lift now and just get back to running as normal. Also got given more exercises and got told to try and keep increasing the weight that I'm squatting. The tilt in my pelvis and the functional leg length discrepancy that this causes are much less noticeable now than they were back in about August.

Fri/Sat - no running, a trip to the Aviva, and a bit too much tasty food and beer!

Sun - 35 min easy run - first run without the lift, pretty good to finally get rid of it. Still a slight pulling feeling across my groin which was part of the original injury, so won't be increasing the mileage too much for a while.

Mon - nothing

Tues - swim and gym. Swim would have been a whole lot better if I hadn't been in a lane with the slowest swimmer ever (and due to lessons going on in most of the other lanes I didn't have much choice). When she started doing a weird combination of backstroke and butterfly I just had to laugh. Lifting was good though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Thurs - went to the physio, turns out that the niggle was most likely from the combination of the heel lift and a new pair of 2170s.

I'm losing track, is the 2170 the new model? I picked up a couple of pairs of the 2150 for next to nothing in Kildare Retail at the start of the year, and they'd have clocked up 1000m on each pair now, so they are due a change eventually. Just wondering if the niggle is from the fact that they are just new, or a design change in them (I'm too superstitious, I've stuck with the GT21xx series since I started running)

2170 came out last Christmas. Got my first pair in around April, and have had a spare unworn pair since about August. Finally decided to break them in a couple of weeks ago.

December? Bit of a joke tbh. Bit of yoga, bit of lifting, not enough running, too much beer and Quality Street... and now I'm sitting here at work feeling like a blimp. Time to rectify this. Got a nasty case of the (wo)manflu over Christmas and didn't run for a while then too.

Went back to yoga on Friday evening, my first proper workout of 2012. Decent amount of core work, and an incredible amount of tightness in my quads in bridge pose confirmed that they need to be worked on!

Did a couple of short runs over the weekend too, 30 mins on Saturday, 40 mins on Sunday, roughly 6.20/km pace each time so nothing too strenuous. Felt ok in general, hate to say it but the back/hip are still not 100% even after all this time. Could feel the hip a bit while walking from the bus stop to work today.

Gym tonight... this should be fun :pac:

In terms of plans for 2013... basically I don't have any. Just get some kind of consistency back, get my niggles sorted out without developing any new ones, it'll be a while before I race though. May look for a relay spot in Cork as an excuse to go for the craic, but that's about it.

More yoga and more lifting too, they both seem to be good for me, and my flexibility has improved since I started trying to go to a weekly yoga class. My local studio has a good deal with a beginners course and a 30 day pass for €75 starting on 24th Jan, may get that and try do as much as I can in that month.

More cycling this summer too, really neglected that last year and I do quite enjoy it.

Monday - gym session, short run on the dreadmill to warm up and then weights and physio rehab work. Bit of a shock to the system though - a bit of DOMS going on this morning and the legs weren't too happy on the bike going up the hill straight out of my building, it's been a few weeks since I lifted stuff!

Tuesday - well the "bit of DOMS" turned into a lot of DOMS! Started out my run looking like an arthritic granny, was ok once I got into it though. Did 6km, roughly 6.20/km pace, pretty happy with it. Feeling like I need to go to yoga and stretch everything though...

• Advertisement

Wednesday - 1 hr yoga, 30 min run. Not too bad at all, though was a bit tired on the run. Probably didn't help that I pretty much went work-yoga-cycle home-run with not much more than about 10 mins between each of them.

Slacked off Thurs due to getting a haircut after work, and over the weekend due to being away. Back to the grind today though, back to the gym. Was feeling my back a bit today, mostly around the SI joint on the right side. Was fully expecting that though due to waking up in quite a lot of pain yesterday with it. Kept some of the weights in the gym lighter than normal today, and took out a couple of lifts that posed a particular strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Slacked off Thurs due to getting a haircut after work, and over the weekend

Just how much hair did they cut off? :confused:

Tues - 40 min run. Kept it very easy due to the back not having been playing nice and took an ibuprofen before I headed out. Felt alright, cold as fcuk out there though and at the slow pace I was finding it difficult to get warm at all.

Wed - 1 hr yoga class. Bit more intense than last week, which was good. Didn't get out for a run afterwards due to watching football - had Man U on the TV and Arsenal on my laptop. :)

Fri - The thought of going outside was not exactly appealing. MOAR YOGA. 75 min class, pretty good overall. Quads a bit tight in bridge and reverse tabletop poses, but my back was behaving in general, and my flexibility has definitely improved lately. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭meijin

Tues - 40 min run. Kept it very easy due to the back not having been playing nice and took an ibuprofen before I headed out. Felt alright, cold as fcuk out there though and at the slow pace I was finding it difficult to get warm at all.
    You might find this interesting: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/NSAIDs_and_Running

Sat - slightly less manky out today. Got up to the park for a run, did 10.3km, my longest since GNR. Slow as hell (6.30/km-ish pace), but that really wasn't the point.

Sun - left myself a little short of time for a run, so just got out for a short one. 30 mins easy (no Garmin because I'm a big eejit), a bit meh, but glad to get it done because it meant I could crash out on the couch and watch the Man U game with a little less guilt!

• Advertisement

Still keeping up the same sort of training - running 3-4 times a week, 5-10km at a time, lifting a bit at the gym and doing one or two yoga classes a week. Nobody really needs to read the gory details because it's boring as fcuk.

I honestly could not give a rat's arse about racing any time soon, just trying to keep fit and maybe lose some weight. Have had quite a serious improvement in my back since Christmas, doing more yoga has helped and I've had fairly significant flexibility improvements too. In the last week or two my back has finally felt strong enough to start deadlifting in the gym again, hadn't done that in a very long time. Also finally able to do a barbell bench press, with weedy little girl arms and feck all upper body strength that's taken a while!

Advertisement