Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Missed Thursday's run due to having to finish up some shopping and then having to do online aptitude tests for a job I'm applying for. Didn't run yesterday either - was too busy drinking my weight in craft beer at my mate's wedding :D

Saturday... planned session was never going to happen when I was still flopped out on the couch, hung over to bits, at 2pm. Decided to get out for at least a bit of a run... did 10.5km, average pace 6.02/km. Stomach behaved itself, but very, very bleh throughout. Let's hope tomorrow's run is better!

Sunday - 20km @ 5.58/km average pace, meant to try keep it going to 13 miles but went past my mam's house just at 20km and pretty much just said fcuk it. Pretty happy with the run overall, later stages were into a stiff headwind, which wasn't pleasant at that stage and made me feel a bit like I was running on the spot.

Monday - 30 mins easy/recovery, 4.8km covered @ 6.18/km average pace (probably should have tried to slow this down more).

Tues - 2 mile warmup, 2x12 min alteration tempo ((1 min 5k pace, 2 min MP)*4) with 3 min recovery between them. Total distance covered 11.2km, average overall pace 5.41/km. No HRM strap. Good session, but struggled a little to get up to 5k pace due to feeling a few twinges in my back at the pace changes.

Wed - 7.5km easy run - plan was 1 hr, but didn't have time because my mam likes to call at awkward times. Average pace 6.02/km, no HRM strap

Thurs - planned session, but back was twinging a bit again today so didn't want to take any chances. 10.5km easy run, average pace 5.55/km, average HR 159 / max 184.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Feel free to leave the Leinster jersey behind this weekend :p

Stand up for the Ulstermen :D

Feel free to leave the Leinster jersey behind this weekend :p
    You're just jealous because Munster threw it away on Easter Sunday :pac:

• Advertisement

Friday - Short easy run. Average pace 5.45/km, 4.85km covered, average HR 149 / max 186.

And now... off to London to watch a blue moon rise :)

Saturday - Hampstead Heath Parkrun
    Didn't plan on taking this seriously in any way, shape or form, just as a way to get my run out of the way after getting up strangely early (in time for a 9am start, shockingly enough :eek: ). Well-run event, but if one was asked to plan out a nightmare 5k course it would be pretty close to this. Literally nothing but hills, 2 lap course, multiple types of terrain with some loose surface on one of the downhills, sneaky kerbs on the run-in to the finish (I'm a klutz, this is bad :pac: ) - the only way it could be worse would be if it was straight up a mountain. Ended up with my 2nd slowest 5k time ever in the end, after having to stop for a dry retch at the top of the biggest hill on the 2nd lap. 5km in 27.20 (ugh) - somehow this was still enough for 14th lady and 3rd in my age group (F25-29).

<beer, rugby, football etc... > :D

Monday - Sri Chinmoy Races 5k, Battersea Park
    Had planned to have a slightly better go at this if the body was still holding up well after a rugby weekend - unfortunately I think things caught up with me a bit by this evening. Brian offered to try and pace me to a new PB (23.30), but I knew after about 2-3km that it just wasn't happening, I was coming very close to the puke point way too early on to be able to hold the pace. Slowed up quite a bit after that, still nearly puked a couple of times again (bit of a recurring theme here, unfortunately), finished in 25.12 by my Garmin which is still a bit crap for me considering the course is flatter than Keira Knightley's chest. Not sure if I want to look at the HRM data... it was slightly high when i was on the train heading out so it's probably through the roof. Pretty much had a second workout after the race trying to get to Gatwick on time for my flight home :p

2 5k's this weekend cost me a total of £4. Please take note, Dublin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I don't know if I've ever heard of a 2 lap 5k! :eek: And hills of any sort should be disallowed on all distances less than 10 miles, if you ask me. I'm sure Dublin will put your money to good use, so no worries there...and even though you didn't get a PB out of either race, your report was worth the entry fees in entertainment value alone! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

two good times considering the travelling and the boozing involved all weekend

Tuesday - plan was 40 mins easy, did 6.5km, average pace 6.08/km, no HRM strap. Very little to report here, bog-standard easy run. Watched the Eurovision semi-final afterwards and voted for the Russian grannies :pac:

Wednesday - bit warmer again today (both :) and :eek: at the same time for a pasty-pale runner like me!). Plan was 50 mins easy, did slightly more than that - total distance covered 8.8km, average pace 5.50/km, average HR 156 / max (spike) 211.

• Advertisement

Thursday - plan was 60 mins easy. Covered 10.55km, average pace 5.59/km, average HR 157. Pretty decent run, though was feeling a bit tired. Nose started running quite a bit after I got home though, hayfever season how I have not missed you.

Saturday - plan was 2 miles warmup, 3x 1 mile at 3k-5k pace with double time recovery, 2 miles warmdown. Silly kirby tried to do this in the middle of the day. Bad, bad plan. Got the warmup done and 1 rep... couldn't move enough air to get that rep any faster than 7.50, which is about 10k pace. Decided at that stage that it just wasn't happening, and ran home at that stage. If my friends weren't arriving later to watch the Eurovision, I'd have tried the session later... Total distance covered 8.5km, average overall pace 5.45/km, no HRM strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the TWO 5ks!!
    5ks are hard.

Sunday - plan was 90 mins easy. Kept it very slow and easy because it was rather warm and I'd had a few drinkies on Saturday night while watching the Eurovision. Total distance covered 16km, average pace 6.22/km. Average HR 146 / max 164.

Monday - couldn't waste a nice evening. Easy cycle done - 20km-ish in around an hour.

Wanted to do a session this evening (suits me better to do it today rather than tomorrow). Decided on 5x800 - reps between 3.38 and 3.45 and kept the recoveries to around 2-2.30 each time, just over 2k warmup / almost 3k cooldown, total distance covered 9.05km. Average HR 165 - max was a spike of 210 at the start, but highest at the end of a rep was around 188. Glad to get that done, though wasn't breathing as easily as I'd have liked pretty much throughout the whole thing.

Wednesday - 11km cycle to my mam's house from work (uphill all the feckin' way :rolleyes: ), went over so I could vote early on Thurs morning because silly billy here is still registered in Dublin South-West :pac:

Thursday - civic duty done, cycled 11km back into work in the pissing rain. Delightful :pac: Didn't run in the evening because I got distracted by cooking and the Rome Diamond League meeting.

Friday - 10km easy, average pace 6 min/km, average HR 150 / max 177. Bit of a slog, but glad to get it done in the end.

Sat 2 June - short easy one just to keep things ticking over. ~5k covered, no Garmin.

Mon 4 June - pacing Cork City Marathon (the half, 2:15 pacer). My first ever pacing job, and a nice comfortable one to start with :) Start was very crowded, we were slightly down in the first mile or two and needed to slowly claw that back along the way. We were pretty much nicely back on track by halfway, then slightly fast for a couple after that. Around 10 miles, myself and the other pacer split for a bit, she throttled back a bit to try and catch a few of the stragglers and I went forward a bit and handed out a decent bit of encouragement, funnily enough at this point the vast majority of girls I was talking to were Dubs - invasion of the PROC :D By 11.5 miles-ish, myself and the other pacer moved back together again and kept it solid (with lots of friend to bring it in at 2:14:15 (about 15 seconds too fast?) by my Garmin. The group that I'd gone ahead with at about 10 miles mostly finished around 2:12-2:13, a few very happy looking people there, and we dragged a few over the line with us too. The drinking crew in Le Chateau probably saw me shouting on my way down Patrick St :) Really enjoyed this, a very satisfying way to participate in the event if you're not really up for racing it, and had a lot of fun in the process.

Thurs 7 Jun - Short run in Oslo near our apartment (Botanic Gardens etc). Felt a bit harder than it should have, which was probably explained by the fact that we ran at 1pm and I forgot to take my hayfever medication. Whoops. 5km-ish covered.

Weekend? Picking my jaw up off the ground at the price of everything in Oslo, Diamond League athletics (which was pretty savage to be in the stadium for!), then heading to the promised land of Poznan for the Ireland v Croatia game. None of which are conducive to getting a lot of training done!

Back down to business this week though. Need to HTFU a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats on your pacing gig. Sounds like you did a fab job!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Wel done on the pacing gig!:D

Lucky you in Oslo (which looked amazing on the telly) and Posnan (which wasn't quite so amazing unfortunately):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fair play to you for pacing! Sounds like you did a great job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the pacing gig. I'm popping my pacing cherry in a couple of weeks and I'm a wee bit nervous if the truth be told!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    Well done on the pacing gig. I'm popping my pacing cherry in a couple of weeks and I'm a wee bit nervous if the truth be told!!

Must resist, must resist!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Mr Slow wrote: »

:D its killing you isn't it

Nules10 wrote: »
    :D its killing you isn't it

I had to reboot myself there, all good now.:D

I had to reboot myself there, all good now.:D

Nice euphemism :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You only resisted because you couldn’t actually think of anything witty or intelligent to say…. ;)

I remember you popping your pacing cherry last year - you were a bit slow to get going, but once you did you left me in bits on Dollymount strand…. :rolleyes::D

claralara wrote: »
    I remember you popping your pacing cherry last year - you were a bit slow to get going, but once you did you left me in bits on Dollymount strand…. :rolleyes::D

Funny how you'll be popping yours in the same race running the same time band. Don't forget to turn on your Garmin. :)

Plus I had a beauty as a retort but would have been banned from Boards.

^ I wanna hear that retort :p

Tues 12th - very sluggish 30 min easy run, roughly 5km covered (left the Garmin at home), felt pretty bleh throughout but got it done.

Wed 13th - bit better today, 7.5km covered, 5.51/km average pace, average HR 158 / max 175. Slightly further than what ecoli had put on the plan for today, but gives me some breathing space in case I decide that match time is beer o'clock tomorrow. Football every day is an awful distraction from running matters :p

Friday 15th - easy run, 6km covered, ~5.58/km average pace, no HRM strap. Got out of work late (7.45pm on a Friday, ugh) and squeezed this one in.

Saturday 16th - meant to do a session, due to spending most of the day (coincidentally enough) shopping for running shoes* I didn't really have a chance to do the session. Headed out for a short one anyway, gave it a bit of welly anyway for the hell of it. 7.5km covered, 5.25/km average pace. Average HR 168 / max 185.

* I'd been putting off shoe shopping for a while, but realised this week that literally all my pairs of Kayanos are dead or duds. The 18 is out for me because the sizing has changed and I'm now basically a size 7.25 if ya get what I mean. Went to Elverys because they have a buy one get one half-price deal on shoes, didn't get any because they were trying to sting me for €15 extra on one of the pairs I wanted because they had none of my size in the cheaper colour, and they didn't have the other one I wanted in my size. After realising there were no size 7.5 Brooks Adrenalines anywhere in the city centre (generally the 2nd choice for me), I decided to trek out to AK/Base2Race just for the hell of it. Did the whole gait analysis thing with thirstywork2 (a very patient man!), and ended up in a pair of 2170s... which I ran in this evening and quite like. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just catching up on your log now RK. Well done on the pacing job. I would love to run sub 2.15 for a half- maybe you might think about coming down the Charleville in September and dragging me around? :)

I changed my runners yesterday too. Finally got gait analysis done in Amphibian king in Oranmore- Brooks GTS 12s to replace the old Kayanos. Will see how they go.

• Advertisement

Somehow I don't think you'll have a problem running sub-2:15 in September if you keep training the way you are ;)

Advertisement