Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Noreen1 wrote: »
    By the way, please note that at no point in the above post have I stated that the Quinn family are beyond reproach.
    I'm just not about to be swayed by media hyperbole.
    I want the facts - all of them. I want justice to be seen to be done - not the Quinn family handed to the baying mob to appease public anger before the big boys come to trial.
    Feel free to disagree.

Have to agree and it's where I am at with this.
    Hand on heart, if I thought a government was corruptly taking what I had worked hard for, then I would do exactly what the Quinns did and take the consequences. I think most people would too, despite the clambering up onto the higher moral ground you see around here.
    The question that needs to be answered is; was the taking of Quinns business wrong and based on an attempt to cover up the greater sins of someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Hearthened to see the Supreme Court throw out Sean"The Chancer" Quinn's appeal today, he wont be lonely in Jail for long , I'm sure Sean"The Mafioso" Senior will be joining him soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Let's be careful not to say anything that will prejudice The Septic Isle from banging him up. And somebody please watch the border this time !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hearthened to see the Supreme Court throw out Sean"The Chancer" Quinn's appeal today, he wont be lonely in Jail for long , I'm sure Sean"The Mafioso" Senior will be joining him soon.

I think we need a new prison if we are to house all the wrong-doers who are connected to Anglo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Noreen1 wrote: »
    By the way, please note that at no point in the above post have I stated that the Quinn family are beyond reproach.
    I'm just not about to be swayed by media hyperbole.
    I want the facts - all of them. I want justice to be seen to be done - not the Quinn family handed to the baying mob to appease public anger before the big boys come to trial.
    Feel free to disagree.

My last post on this because you and others on this thread are just mouthing the same crap that comes from the Quinn family and supporters -its the media, its the judicial system, its the banks fault, nobody understands what he done for the border regions blah, blah.

Here's what I base my views on....

1. Sean Quinn was a hell of a business man that created a lot of employment in the border region a very disadvantaged area - I know that area well - my family is from that area. He deserves the credit he got for this but it was not philantrophy on his part - labour was cheap, costs were less than they would be in Dublin - it was an area he knew well and was not adverse to using the locale of the border to business advantage - kind of like Petey is doing now!!! Quinn were well know for paying the bare minimum but still fair play to him for creating the jobs in the first place but him and him alone wrecklessly endagered those same jobs by taking a stupid gamble and yet he wants our sympathy...

2. He has found by the judicial system to have been dishonest and trying to asset strip to rip the Irish taxpayers off, IRBC/Anglo as a stateowned bank simply had to stop him - he has been found to be a crook by the highest court in the land - where's the conspiracy here?? This is a fact under law and one which will see him landed in jail.

3. I too want to see Anglo and all the bankers have their day in court but to say we have to go after them first is smoke and mirrors and irrelevant to Sean Quinn's case.

4. Are you serious about him not being able to afford legal representation - one of the oldest tricks in the book - the mafia used to use this one to delay trials..

5. I'm from the area and am quite frankly embarassed by the behaviour of some people and those being interviewed - they are spouting the same crap - its the media/Anglo/Courts not our Sean - and cannot be swayed by rational argument - most cannot even see a different viewpoint

At the end of the day Sean Quinn took a gamble - it failed miserably and he put the livelihood of every person he created a job for at risk because of greed pure and adulterated and now has been found to be a dishonest and spiteful little man who has decided that if he can't have the assets then f%k the Irish taxpayer -they won't have them either..

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    My last post on this because you and others on this thread are just mouthing the same crap that comes from the Quinn family and supporters -its the media, its the judicial system, its the banks fault, nobody understands what he done for the border regions blah, blah.

3. I too want to see Anglo and all the bankers have their day in court but to say we have to go after them first is smoke and mirrors and irrelevant to Sean Quinn's case.

I feel the same as you Tom regarding what happened but I think they should all be on trial at the same time. That way they can bring each other down with their evidence. Have them all in court and let them at each other then lock them all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Have them all in court

I'd pay to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Hand on heart, if I thought a government was corruptly taking what I had worked hard for, then I would do exactly what the Quinns did and take the consequences. I think most people would too, despite the clambering up onto the higher moral ground you see around here.
    The question that needs to be answered is; was the taking of Quinns business wrong and based on an attempt to cover up the greater sins of someone else.

Also on this, H, if they can just take this mans business, they can take any business that through whatever fault it may be, that it just might not conform to the rules put in place to govern a business. I will say, from what did happen, it is frightning times to be running a big business, in case one might put a foot wrong. Now, I am not condoning what S.Q. did, but I can't understand why or how a business can be taken from someone, the way it was taken, and if it is true, sold for such a small amount. I mean to say, even if one's livelihood(that you put almost 40 years into)was'nt worth that much, to have it sold off for €i, does not make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

darkhorse wrote: »

Also on this, H, if they can just take this mans business, they can take any business that through whatever fault it may be, that it just might not conform to the rules put in place to govern a business. I will say, from what did happen, it is frightning times to be running a big business, in case one might put a foot wrong. Now, I am not condoning what S.Q. did, but I can't understand why or how a business can be taken from someone, the way it was taken, and if it is true, sold for such a small amount. I mean to say, even if one's livelihood(that you put almost 40 years into)was'nt worth that much, to have it sold off for €i, does not make sense to me.

All insurance companies operate under the regulator's permission, if you break the rules you lose your business.

Same applies to banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I think we need a new prison if we are to house all the wrong-doers who are connected to Anglo.

Nope, let them all rot with the scum from the joy

Like with like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Tom Joad wrote: »

Here's what I base my views on....

Then you've totally missed the point of my argument.

Over 2 Billion of the amount owed is disputed.
    Someone needs to be taken to task for that.
    Right now, that someone is Sean Quinn.

Here's the problem with that, though.

Anglo loaned the money.
    That is illegal.
    Questions need to be answered about who knew what - exactly - about that deal.
    The public have a right to know every detail about who is culpable, and to what degree. It may well be that both Quinn and Anglo are equally culpable. If so, that's fair enough.

But!! If Anglo are the ones who broke the law, and not Sean Quinn, then he's just had a Business taken from him for illegality by someone else. That's mob justice - and not what I want to see.

Here's another thing that I have a big problem with.

The law about illegal loans not being able to be pursued through the courts is there for a very good reason.
    If this law is overturned by the precedent set by the Quinn case, then there is a very real possibility that that precedent will be abused.
    One possibilty that springs to mind, for example:

Suppose some poor sod gets in arrears with the mortgage, borrows from a loanshark, and can't repay the loan.
    If this precedent is set, that shark would be entitled to pursue the loan, no matter how exorbitant the interest, through the courts.

Worse. If Sean Quinn is found not to be liable for the 2+ Billion, what on earth kind of precedent does it set? That it's ok to take X times the value of what you owe, provided you are richer/more powerful/better connected than the debtor, or can get the debtor to court quicker than the debtor can bring said creditors? Sod that! The repercussions for too many hard-working people are too great!
    Said loan shark in the example would be able to legally claim everything a person owned, for what might have started off as a very small debt.

The only way I can see around these problems, is for the Anglo case to be heard first, followed by any cases against Sean Quinn.

So, in order for justice (note I said justice, not legal precedures) to be served, Anglo should be in court first. The taxpayer is not best served by going after Quinn first.
    Thanks to our wonderful Government/s guarantees, the taxpayer is never going to see their money back.
    Failing that, I want to see justice. I want to see people in jail.
    I just want to see the right people in jail. If that includes Sean Quinn, so be it.
    What I don't want to see is one person getting punished for the possible wrongdoing of others, and very dangerous legal precedents being set that will impact negatively on the rest of the population ad infinitum.

If that means waiting another few months - I think that's the better option.

4. Are you serious about him not being able to afford legal representation - one of the oldest tricks in the book - the mafia used to use this one to delay trials..

5. I'm from the area and am quite frankly embarassed by the behaviour of some people and those being interviewed - they are spouting the same crap - its the media/Anglo/Courts not our Sean - and cannot be swayed by rational argument - most cannot even see a different viewpoint

At the end of the day Sean Quinn took a gamble - it failed miserably and he put the livelihood of every person he created a job for at risk because of greed pure and adulterated and now has been found to be a dishonest and spiteful little man who has decided that if he can't have the assets then f%k the Irish taxpayer -they won't have them either..

See above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Well if we believe in Karma all we can hope for is that the Quinns have some bad stuff facing them, personally I hope they suffer, and I mean suffer, in everyway, there is no disease bad enough not to wish on them, no misfortune heartbreaking enough for them, I hope that they all suffer hell on earth before they get any relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Just came across a video on youtube of the full rally for the quinns last weekend-to my surprise Ben Gilroy attended the quinn rally and spoke at it-43 minutes into the video you will see Ben speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Unfortunately comments are disabled for that video. :(

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

hardCopy wrote: »
    All insurance companies operate under the regulator's permission, if you break the rules you lose your business.

Same applies to banks.

So, am I right in assuming that if the majority of businesses in the country were to break the rules in some way, that they could all be subject to a takeover by the receiver and sold off for €1 each? Or could this just be the case with this particular company. Now, lets say in theory that your answer could determine the fate of a person taking a risk and starting a business, would your answer be yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Am Chile wrote: »
    Just came across a video on youtube of the full rally for the quinns last weekend-to my surprise Ben Gilroy attended the quinn rally and spoke at it-43 minutes into the video you will see Ben speaking.

The Quinns should have just got Ben for his defence, no need for a legal team at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

So, am I right in assuming that if the majority of businesses in the country were to break the rules in some way, that they could all be subject to a takeover by the receiver and sold off for €1 each? Or could this just be the case with this particular company. Now, lets say in theory that your answer could determine the fate of a person taking a risk and starting a business, would your answer be yes or no.

Evidently you don't grasp the significance of the Insurance regulations.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Hand on heart, if I thought a government was corruptly taking what I had worked hard for, then I would do exactly what the Quinns did and take the consequences.

The key phrase being 'If I thought". But Quinn doesn't think this. he knows what he has done is criminal. He knows he is guilty. He knows his whole family is guilty. He knows the Government acted perfectly correctly. He knows where he has squirrelled hundreds of millions in Russia, Eastern Europe and elsewhere.
    I think most people would too, despite the clambering up onto the higher moral ground you see around here.
    The high moral ground of the Law. Yes. The Law applies even to this puffed up scum Quinn.

Wrong. That is not the question. Except for the terminally naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Piliger wrote: »
    Evidently you don't grasp the significance of the Insurance regulations.... :rolleyes:

In fairness I'd give a pass to an ordinary poster on an internet forum, given there were concerns over Quinn Insurance for over a decade and the regulator did nothing, the regulations meant zilch.

The regulations were only stringently enforced after Anglo went bust, and the realisation Quinn was their biggest debtor.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Do even read what you type?

Certain sectors including banking, insurance, pensions and even travel agents, are required to operate under license or bonds.

Anybody wishing to open a business in these areas must pay up or demonstrate and maintain an ability to pay up in the event of a major incident.

Travel agents need to be able to pay for the return home of all customers, insurance companies need to keep minimum amounts in reserve in case of a widespread increase in claims, banks must maintain minimum reserves in case of a run.

Quinn didn't have those reserves, if a disaster hit Ireland and a large number of claims came in at once they would have been wiped out. When companies are that badly run the government steps in to steady the ship and protect the customer (at massive cost to the taxpayer).

The regulator should really have stepped in earlier, but there is no way the Quinns could have kept that business going.

• Advertisement

Certain sectors including banking, insurance, pensions and even travel agents, are required to operate under license or bonds.

Anybody wishing to open a business in these areas must pay up or demonstrate and maintain an ability to pay up in the event of a major incident.

Travel agents need to be able to pay for the return home of all customers, insurance companies need to keep minimum amounts in reserve in case of a widespread increase in claims, banks must maintain minimum reserves in case of a run.

Quinn didn't have those reserves, if a disaster hit Ireland and a large number of claims came in at once they would have been wiped out. When companies are that badly run the government steps in to steady the ship and protect the customer (at massive cost to the taxpayer).

The regulator should really have stepped in earlier, but there is no way the Quinns could have kept that business going.

What is about a lot of posters on Boards, where ya ask for a yes or no answer, then someone comes back with a bleedin short story.:confused:

What is about a lot of posters on Boards, where ya ask for a yes or no answer, then someone comes back with a bleedin short story.:confused:

Yes.

Anybody in a regulated sector who fails to obey the rules can and should lose their business.

Do you object to this? If so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes.

Anybody in a regulated sector who fails to obey the rules can and should lose their business.

Do you object to this? If so, why?

Cuz de Quinns done great tings for Cyaaavin.
    Well lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

Imagine how Karen's feeling this morning?

Yes.
    /QUOTE]

1. I do read what I type. Why cant someone that I am asking a question to not read what I type. If I wanted a story to go with my answer, I would have asked.

2. According to Peter Quinn, there was enough funds in place. Is he wrong?

3. If the company was in a position where it could'nt keep going, why did'nt the regulator step in earlier, as you say he should have?

4. I just cant understand how posters on an discussion forum on the internet seem to know more about the present situation involving this particular company than all the people who spoke at that rally.

Yes.
    /QUOTE]

1. I do read what I type. Why cant someone that I am asking a question to not read what I type. If I wanted a story to go with my answer, I would have asked.

2. According to Peter Quinn, there was enough funds in place. Is he wrong?

3. If the company was in a position where it could'nt keep going, why did'nt the regulator step in earlier, as you say he should have?

4. I just cant understand how posters on an discussion forum on the internet seem to know more about the present situation involving this particular company than all the people who spoke at that rally.

I wouldn't believe Peter Quinn if he said the sky was blue. Their reserves consisted of Anglo shares that are now with less than the sandwich I just made. (it wasn't even a very nice sandwich)

The cost of topping up their reserves Congress to more than the total profits they "made" in their entire history.

I wouldn't believe Peter Quinn if he said the sky was blue. Their reserves consisted of Anglo shares that are now with less than the sandwich I just made. (it wasn't even a very nice sandwich)

The cost of topping up their reserves Congress to more than the total profits they "made" in their entire history.

BUT did you believe all the economists, bankers, politicians and the regulator who said that everything was going very well when they were not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

BUT did you believe all the economists, bankers, politicians and the regulator who said that everything was going very well when they were not?

And what's that got to do with the price of eggs, the guy didn't just try and buy a few auld shares for his pension.. HE TRIED TO BUY HALF A BANK ...

Armelodie wrote: »

And what's that got to do with the price of eggs, the guy didn't just try and buy a few auld shares for his pension.. HE TRIED TO BUY HALF A BANK ...

It's got to do with the fact that the whole system is crooked. Far too much "you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" mentality that fcuked the country up. They were all in it together and should be in court and then jail together. Weren't Anglo shoving money from one account to the other themselves before annual audits?

• Advertisement

It's got to do with the fact that the whole system is crooked. Far too much "you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" mentality that fcuked the country up. They were all in it together and should be in court and then jail together. Weren't Anglo shoving money from one account to the other themselves before annual audits?

Quinn Jr wasn't jailed because they lost money, he directly disobeyed a court order to freeze his assets. This all happened after Anglo was taken over by the state, it had nothing to do with Sean Fitz or anyone else.

Advertisement