Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally for The Quinn-were you there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

hardCopy wrote: »
    Quinn Jr wasn't jailed because they lost money, he directly disobeyed a court order to freeze his assets. This all happened after Anglo was taken over by the state, it had nothing to do with Sean Fitz or anyone else.

Quinn = Fitzpatrick = Drumm (to a whole lot of people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Hal Decks wrote: »
    Imagine how Karen's feeling this morning?

Why? Was she in an accident.

Piliger wrote: »
    The Law applies even to this puffed up scum Quinn.

And politicians too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

darkhorse wrote: »
    And politicians too.

So because other areas of society are corrupt, the Quinns should get a free pass?

All insurance companies operate under the regulator's permission, if you break the rules you lose your business.

Same applies to banks.

I am a little confused here. Would you just explain to me, did anglo break the rules, and if they did, could not the regulator or the receivers have sold anglo to someone for €1, as they did with quinn's business, as you do say that the same rules applies to banks. The reason I ask is, well, if that were to happen at the time, look at how much better of we would have been.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't believe Peter Quinn if he said the sky was blue.

And I would'nt believe the Government no matter what they say. Touche.

He knows the Government acted perfectly correctly.

Would that be the Government that ruined the country economically, or the present Government, who are continually taking the last bit of of the mouths of the poorest people in our society.

So because other areas of society are corrupt, the Quinns should get a free pass?

No they should not, but they are in the process of being brought through the courts currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I am a little confused here. Would you just explain to me, did anglo break the rules, and if they did, could not the regulator or the receivers have sold anglo to someone for €1, as they did with quinn's business, as you do say that the same rules applies to banks. The reason I ask is, well, if that were to happen at the time, look at how much better of we would have been.

Anglo was nationalised - taken over by the Government. Your point is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The shareholders didn't even get a euro!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Not really. Had the regulator enforced the rules on Anglo with the same rigour that they were enforced on Quinn Insurance, he would have saved us all a lot of money.

Therefore, the point is not moot.

As an aside, and OT I know, Sean Quinn wants to know why Quinn Insurance is operating at a loss.
    I went looking for insurance quotes for my son on Friday.
    Liberty came in at over 5K, a clear 2K more than it's nearest rival.
    The irony is that they haven't lost one potential customer, they've lost two existing customers, and one potential customer.

Possible explanation for for the losses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Not really. Had the regulator enforced the rules on Anglo with the same rigour that they were enforced on Quinn Insurance, he would have saved us all a lot of money.

Therefore, the point is not moot.

As an aside, and OT I know, Sean Quinn wants to know why Quinn Insurance is operating at a loss.
    The irony is that they haven't lost one potential customer, they've lost two existing customers, and one potential customer.

In all fairness, he was conducting the business ilegally without the cash reserves to cover it.

DID ANGLO IRISH BANK BREAK THE RULES:- YES OR NO

MagicSean wrote: »
    In all fairness, he was conducting the business ilegally without the cash reserves to cover it.

Who told you that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

If the evidence given in court last week holds up, we should soon see Aoife "tiny tears" Quinn join her daddykins and brother in Jail.
    I cannot believe how anyone can defend these scum, they have done more damage to this country than Gilligan, The Monk,The Penguin, and Bertie Ahern added together.
    I hope they are scourged with bad luck and illness for the rest of their days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

With all due respect to your son's circumstances, it would appear that the quote was calculated to deter him from taking up the policy. From an insurers point of view, it makes economic sense NOT to take on certain customers. Quinn's troubles were based on taking on too many high risk clients without sufficient reserves put aside to reflect the risk.

oldyouth wrote: »
    With all due respect to your son's circumstances, it would appear that the quote was calculated to deter him from taking up the policy. From an insurers point of view, it makes economic sense NOT to take on certain customers. Quinn's troubles were based on taking on too many high risk clients without sufficient reserves put aside to reflect the risk.

Possibly. Having said that, if every insurance company deters/refuses to insure first time drivers, then A: Where is their future revenue going to come from, and B: if other Companies are willing to insure said drivers, for 2,000 euros less - then it appears that there is a clear case of discrimination going on here.
    A loading for high risk drivers is one thing. Looking for 2 K extra on top of that loading is taking the proverbial!

Incidently, my son is 18, with a full licence, no convictions,no accident history, and quite happy to drive a 1.0L just to get on the road.
    He's trying to do things properly. Liberty got handed an Insurance Company for €1, with no legacy debt, and yet they need 2K more than any other Company?
    That's doing 2 things, imo.
    One is taking the proverbial - the other is rubbing salt in the wounds.:mad:
    Had the Company been sold at a reasonable price, or without legacy debt being sponsored by the taxpayer, that would be one thing.
    Getting handed a Company for practically sweet FA, and then pretty much trying to decide who they think should be allowed to drive, is quite another.:mad::mad:

If every Company decides to implement similar policies, what effect do you think that will have on A: Young drivers, and B: The economy as a whole?

If the evidence given in court last week holds up, we should soon see Aoife "tiny tears" Quinn join her daddykins and brother in Jail.
    I cannot believe how anyone can defend these scum, they have done more damage to this country than Gilligan, The Monk,The Penguin, and Bertie Ahern added together.

Hi, Mr Perfect, I would absolutely not like to hear what you would wish on the former anglo irish bank, when this is what spews from your mouth in the direction of these people. Oh, by the way, I would certainly hope that with any upcoming court dates on this man, the prosecution will take into account the fact that he has already been tried and found guilty by some members of Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The key phrase being 'If I thought". But Quinn doesn't think this. he knows what he has done is criminal. He knows he is guilty. He knows his whole family is guilty. He knows the Government acted perfectly correctly. He knows where he has squirrelled hundreds of millions in Russia, Eastern Europe and elsewhere.
    You are missing the obvious here, Quinn believes that the Government and it's agencies acted illegally. Everything follows from that belief, and I would do the same. If somebody came for your house (on the basis of an illegal interpretation of the law) would you stand back and let it happen?
    The high moral ground of the Law. Yes. The Law applies even to this puffed up scum Quinn.
    I think you'll find he is taking what the 'law' is doling out to him and meanwhile fighting the original decisions.

As somebody asked, how do you know this? Where has this been forensically examined in our courts?

Liberty got handed an Insurance Company for €1.

I know it may be slightly off topic, although I myself think it is relavent, but I often wondered, was the insurance company taken over on behalf of the taxpayer, then I thought, no, I am wrong about this. Because, if it was taken over on behalf of the taxpayer(which I may stand corrected on), of which I am one, well, what would give anyone the right to sell a multi-million euro company, that belongs to the taxpayers of this country, for €1, then come back and tell us that we all have to pay an extra levy on our insurance for years to come. Something stinks here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

No they should not, but they are in the process of being brought through the courts currently.

Exactly. That is what this thread is about. The Quinns have broken the law and this thread is about the ridiculous support for that. The thread is not about who else should be on the block for corruption. Introducing it to this thread is an attempt to muddy the waters on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Your son will go for the cheapest quote available, that's all that matters and rightly so. If Quinn Direct gave it free to him tomorrow morning, he and you would take it. How they could offer it free would be irrelevant to you.
    Possibly. Having said that, if every insurance company deters/refuses to insure first time drivers, then A: Where is their future revenue going to come from, and B: if other Companies are willing to insure said drivers, for 2,000 euros less - then it appears that there is a clear case of discrimination going on here.
    A loading for high risk drivers is one thing. Looking for 2 K extra on top of that loading is taking the proverbial!

Incidently, my son is 18, with a full licence, no convictions,no accident history, and quite happy to drive a 1.0L just to get on the road.
    He's trying to do things properly. Liberty got handed an Insurance Company for €1, with no legacy debt, and yet they need 2K more than any other Company?
    That's doing 2 things, imo.
    One is taking the proverbial - the other is rubbing salt in the wounds.:mad:
    Had the Company been sold at a reasonable price, or without legacy debt being sponsored by the taxpayer, that would be one thing.
    Getting handed a Company for practically sweet FA, and then pretty much trying to decide who they think should be allowed to drive, is quite another.:mad::mad:

If every Company decides to implement similar policies, what effect do you think that will have on A: Young drivers, and B: The economy as a whole?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

not a nice thing to say about a family who created thousands of jobs and paid many millions of euro in tax before they "invested" in a bank believing it was regulated. The bankers deceived people , inc Quinn.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I think you may require some tuition on what 'forensically tested in a court' actually means. :rolleyes:

And you should learn the meaning of denial.

And you should learn the meaning of denial.

You'll find if you are in the least bit interested that I do not deny that Quinn and family broke the law subsequent to his involvement in Anglo.
    Whether he was right to do that is the issue and won't be answered until the Anglo debacle is forensically tested.
    I believe that it sometimes right and sometimes necessary to break the law if you believe that it is your only recourse to justice. You have the same right.

The Quinns have broken the law and this thread is about the ridiculous support for that. QUOTE]

Let me put this another way. The Quinns have broken the law and have been tried and found guilty on this thread, therefore there is no need for Anglo/IBRC to waste any more taxpayers money dragging them through the courts.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Your son will go for the cheapest quote available, that's all that matters and rightly so. If Quinn Direct gave it free to him tomorrow morning, he and you would take it. How they could offer it free would be irrelevant to you.

He will go for the cheapest quote available. That doesn't alter the fact that Insurance Companies aren't playing on a level playing field, though.

It seems to me that there still isn't enough regulation, whether that is by the Competition Authority, or whoever, I do not know.
    Some Companies refuse point blank to insure young drivers. Others dissuade young drivers by making the product unaffordable. So, the risk is all loaded onto the very few Companies who will quote (expensively) for the business. That group is getting smaller year on year, in my experience.
    The potential for harm to the economy (staff unable to get to work, youth unable to find employment due to travel difficulties etc.) needs to be examined, imo.

However, that's now gone way off-topic, and is a subject for another thread, methinks!

Advertisement