Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today:120,000 foot space jump.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The amount of fools on forums and Youtube comments saying it's fake and boring and that the quality is ****.

He didn't go up there to put on a HD quality show for the world or to excite you, idiots.

I think that's exactly why he was sent up there by Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jesus, I may as well go off to the 'Unpopular Opinions' thread with this one. I don't think it's all that, so what? There's no reason for you all to jump down my neck with the name calling.

I agree with you to a certain extent.

It's a very very big parachute jump. I commend the man for his balls and the team behind him for their innovation.

However, It's nothing that hasn't been done before on a smaller scale. People seem to be comparing it to the moon landings.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dustaz wrote: »

It's a very very big parachute jump. I commend the man for his balls and the team behind him for their innovation.

However, It's nothing that hasn't been done before on a smaller scale. People seem to be comparing it to the moon landings.
    Sure the moon landings were just very very long plane ride in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Scale is everything.
    I can go far a bit of a jog but I'm no Usain Bolt.

Sure the moon landings were just very very long plane ride in that case

He jumped from a few miles or so higher than Kittinger did in the Sixties.

More or less the same thing.

Very different to the difference between air travel and space travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I thought it was amazing to watch especially when he had to be told to UN-fasten his seat belt twice, i thought he was going to bottle it at that point.

There must be some dry sh1tes out there if they didn't find this interesting, it was amazing to watch him jump from that height. Nerves of steel the man has.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Scale is everything.
    I can go far a bit of a jog but I'm no Usain Bolt.

Interesting. There are possibly 2 people on earth who could beat Usain Bolt.

There are untold hundreds or thousands who could beat Felix's record.

Im not saying it wasn't pretty amazing to watch. It was but so was the olympics.

About the only thing truly groundbreaking about it was the marketing aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

The amount of fools on forums and Youtube comments saying it's fake and boring and that the quality is ****.

He didn't go up there to put on a HD quality show for the world or to excite you, idiots.

In fairness there's a few of them on this forum too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I think that's exactly why he was sent up there by Red Bull.

He wasn't sent.

He went up to beat a world record, not to put on an amazing show.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

About the only thing truly groundbreaking about it was the marketing aspect.

You could say the same about Hilary or Shackleton. Their feats have been replicated since, but doing such things once someone with large brass ones has shown it can be done and how to do it is less remarkable.

I have both pilot and parachute licenses, and military training. I probably could do it. I don't have the balls though, so I wouldn't and like everyone else on the planet, didn't. That jump deserves pretty serious respect for determination and capability.

• Advertisement

He wasn't sent.

And Red Bull paid for it all as nothing much more than a marketting stunt for their brand.

Its not that I'm dismissing his achievement as something insignificant. I've been looking forward to this since the past few months when Red Bull first announced the Stratos project. And I have to say I always admired Red Bull for sponsoring all these extreme sportsmen and all the events they do, they're a pretty unique and creative brand. Which is why I also supported their F1 team ever since Kimi left Ferrari but that's a different story...

You could say the same about Hilary or Shackleton. Their feats have been replicated since, but doing such things once someone with large brass ones has shown it can be done and how to do it is less remarkable.

I have both pilot and parachute licenses, and military training. I probably could do it. I don't have the balls though, so I wouldn't and like everyone else on the planet, didn't. That jump deserves pretty serious respect for determination and capability.

I would love to do it if given the opportunity... But yeah, Joe Kittenger had massive balls to do it back in the 60s when there were so many unknowns. Felix Baumgartner also had huge balls to be able to do it after 50 odd years and break the sound barrier but probably not as huge as Joe Kittenger's balls. Still doesn't take away the awesomeness of what he did!! I'm sure he loved every moment of it and it didn't matter to him who did what first when he was 120k feet up in the sky looking down at the planet!

You seem to be missing the point. It has been done. in 1960. He replicated it.

The reason it isn't done doesnt come down to balls, it comes down to money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Piliger wrote: »
    B O R I N G

The guy has a space suit. No risk
    . A load of boring promotional crap imho.

.......... without it he would die:confused:

He wasn't sent.

Whatever reasons he went up for, Red Bull turned it into an amazing show.

It could probably be argued that Red Bull's sponsorship is the bigger achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You seem to be missing the point. It has been done. in 1960. He replicated it.

If it's "already been done", then how did this jump then break previous records?

If it's "already been done", then how did this jump then break previous records?

It didn't break all the previous records.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

But I don't think when people go out to practice sprints they have the possibility of dieing do they? This hasn't been done for 60 years, if it was so easy why isn't it being broken yearly?
    You need a huge team of very intelligent people and someone willing to risk their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The only 1 it didn't break was free fall time because he travelled about 130mph faster then they were estimating

Well if I won the euromillions, I could then make sure I go a few hundred feet higher than Felix and make sure when I jump I travel a few more kmph faster than him and I would have broken his record too.

The big achievement here isn't that he broke a record, the big achievement is that after 50 odd years someone finally managed to do it again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

As pointed out the only one that was missed was the longer freefall.

The pretence that "this has all been done before" is just that.

Brad768 wrote: »
    But I don't think when people go out to practice sprints they have the possibility of dieing do they? This hasn't been done for 60 years, if it was so easy why isn't it being broken yearly?
    You need a huge team of very intelligent people and someone willing to risk their life.

Actually intensive training for sprinting has a pretty high risk of death or serious injury.

And Felix Baumgartner is a professional BASE jumper. BASE jumping is one of the riskiest sport in the world so he's quite used to risking his life.

Do you really need this spelled out for you?

Money.

Fair play to him for raising the sponsorship needed to do it. The sums involved are enormous and previously only in the realm of governments.

Finding someone to risk their life isnt the hard part. Daredevils and thrillseekers aren't exactly a new thing. From Evil Kenevil to Lewis Hamilton to Any number of extreme sports practioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Actually intensive training for sprinting has a pretty high risk of death or serious injury.

And Felix Baumgartner is a professional BASE jumper. BASE jumping is one of the riskiest sport in the world so he's quite used to risking his life.

Fair enough. But if people were asked, do you rather want to do some sprinting or go base jumping where there is a higher risk of loosing your life. The majority of people would pick sprinting.

As pointed out the only one that was missed was the longer freefall.

The pretence that "this has all been done before" is just that.

Compared to something like the Moon landings, yes, it has been done before. Which was my original point.

Fair enough. But if people were asked, do you rather want to do some sprinting or go base jumping where there is a higher risk of loosing your life. The majority of people would pick sprinting.

I would chose base jumping. Its more fun and you don't have to be particularly good or a top level base jumper to experience the thrill of the jump.

Where as in sprinting it takes incredible amounts of blood, sweat and tears to become the fastest person in the world and very very very few people can achieve that.

But then that's just me. I like extreme sports and I find running boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Lads lads, whats with the nay saying? You seem to forget that at this altitude your blood will boil out of your body. Air pressure is 0.24psi compared to 15psi at sea level. The tech required to keep a man alive in that environment is pretty substantial. Not something 'anyone' could do. Take the capsule for example. It was almost a spacecraft, such were the demands asked of it!
    Felix's suit is more or less a spacesuit with all its environmental controls. It was pressurised to only 3psi if i remember correctly. Not for the faint hearted at all!
    Then he had to try and not spin apart while he waited for some air to give control.

To put all this in perspective. The cruising altitude of the sr-71 blackbird was 85,000 feet. Thats 43,000 feet less than Felix jumped from.

Sure, it was nothing spectacular at all!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Compared to something like the Moon landings, yes, it has been done before. Which was my original point.

So if humans land on Mars in 30 years or so, you'll just shrug? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

So if humans land on Mars in 30 years or so, you'll just shrug? :confused:
    To be fair, i wish we could go now.

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    Lads lads, whats with the nay saying? You seem to forget that at this altitude your blood will boil out of your body. Air pressure is 0.24psi compared to 15psi at sea level. The tech required to keep a man alive in that environment is pretty substantial. Not something 'anyone' could do. Take the capsule for example. It was almost a spacecraft, such were the demands asked of it!
    Felix's suit is more or less a spacesuit with all its environmental controls. It was pressurised to only 3psi if i remember correctly. Not for the faint hearted at all!
    Then he had to try and not spin apart while he waited for some air to give control.

To put all this in perspective. The cruising altitude of the sr-71 blackbird was 85,000 feet. Thats 43,000 feet less than Felix jumped from.

Sure, it was nothing spectacular at all!

Well, I'm not saying its not spectacular and I love Red Bull for making it happen.

But what I'm saying is this would have been incredibly spectacular 50yrs ago when space travel was an unknown and Joe Kittinger voluntereed to become the test subject to go into the unknown. Now days we have humans living 24x7 in space at 400km altitude in the ISS and astronauts travel to and fro into space and back every few months.

Provided with the money, its really is no big deal going into space anymore.
    Virgin has the Space Ship One which has gone above 100km and back many times. Red Bull developed a project which allowed a guy to jump off from space. Fair play to both of them for doing it. It was incredibly exciting to watch. But I don't really see it as the space event of the decade or anything.

Advertisement