Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today:120,000 foot space jump.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If it's "already been done", then how did this jump then break previous records?

If a fella climbs mount everest next month, it wont be the first time its been done. But he could do it faster than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

So if humans land on Mars in 30 years or so, you'll just shrug? :confused:

No, that would be the crowning achievement of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If a fella climbs mount everest next month, it wont be the first time its been done. But he could do it faster than anyone else.

Would be a stupid thing to do to be honest though. Climbing the Everest, although every Tom, Dick and Harry can do it now, is still no joke and is extremely dangerous. Turning it into a fun sport isn't a good idea as you don't just put yours but many other's people's life in risk as well because of the way the Everest is climbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ah but get sponsored by a soft drink, stream it live to youtube and its "GROUNDBREAKING"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Anyway the man in question has just shown us how much more we can do, don't stop, keep going, you never know what the information from this attempt will give or take us,

baby steps, walking, running, standing upright, fire, tools, wheel, I do not know why they bothered, it would of been so much easier to say no.

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    Lads lads, whats with the nay saying? You seem to forget that at this altitude your blood will boil out of your body. Air pressure is 0.24psi compared to 15psi at sea levell!

It might be worth pointing out that blood/water will boil in a vacuum or close to one at well below body temperature, so it does not boil due to being heated up, but because of very low atmospheric pressure.

Dustaz wrote: »
    ah but get sponsored by a soft drink, stream it live to youtube and its "GROUNDBREAKING"

Red bull gives you a parachute will have to be the next ad out.

Peace on the entire earth would be a bigger achievement. Walking on the surface of jupiter is probably more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I think its great that we finally got proof that the earth is a big flat disk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Peace on the entire earth would be a bigger achievement. Walking on the surface of jupiter is probably more likely.

Walking on the surface of Jupiter would indeed be some achievement but I can't see it happening by any native Earth species!

• Advertisement

BBDBB wrote: »
    I think its great that we finally got proof that the earth is a big flat disk :)

That is just the CD, once you place it in the player it will show you so many different things.

Walking on the surface of Jupiter would indeed be some achievement but I can't see it happening by any native Earth species!

Yes, that was my point:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I agree with you to a certain extent.

It's a very very big parachute jump. I commend the man for his balls and the team behind him for their innovation.

However, It's nothing that hasn't been done before on a smaller scale. People seem to be comparing it to the moon landings.

Not sure if serious?

I like this, we are now a collective, (native) nothing else, we are at last humans, all the same with different traits,

verbally small changes are happening already, it is not one of the positives I would of seen from this attempt, but I do now,

it actually might stump Robbie's attempt to get to Jupiter, before humans figure out, shiit we are all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

didnt take long for after hours to **** on a groundbreaking event. going by what some people are saying, no event is truely ground breaking because its been done on a smaller scale beforehand. talk about stupid logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Seems to be alot of people here with nothing better to do then poke holes in this achievement.

No, it wasn't as big as what Yuri Gagarin/Neil Armstrong/Buzz Aldrin did, but it was still something spectacular and record setting don't forget.
    I find what he did to be amazing and the next step could even be bailing from a craft in a low-earth orbit.

And not to nit-pick, but Jupiter has no solid surface to walk on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Nitpickers wouldn't have been satisfied unless there was a HD camera right in his face showing every facial expression and drop of sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Nitpickers wouldn't have been satisfied unless there was a HD camera right in his face showing every facial expression and drop of sweat.

Hmmm now that you mention it, some of the shadows didn't seem right. Could have been faked...

Hmmm now that you mention it, some of the shadows didn't seem right. Could have been faked...

It was faked. I could tell from the pixels.

all done with mirrors

• Advertisement

It was faked. I could tell from the pixels.

The shadows and highlights were also all wrong.

The shadows and highlights were also all wrong.

Not to mention the blowing of the flag.

Ah, wrong conspiracy theory. Never mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BBDBB wrote: »

Forget Mars, the next goal for Mankind should be to send an expedition underneath to find the giant turtle.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Forget Mars, the next goal for Mankind should be to send an expedition underneath to find the giant turtle.

There's no giant turtle, its all just hollow man!

SPLITTER!

And not to nit-pick, but Jupiter has no solid surface to walk on :p

I wont nit pick either, when I say (again), that was the actual point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

There's no giant turtle, its all just hollow man!

Sorry I have a no debate policy with hollowists.

I wont nit pick either, when I say (again), that was the actual point.

You could walk on the moons. Just watch your step when on Io.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Sorry I have a no debate policy with hollowists.

Even the Nazi's knew the earth is hollow. Which is why the Brits and Americans fought them to keep the sheeple from knowing the truth!

• Advertisement

Even the Nazi's knew the earth is hollow. Which is why the Brits and Americans fought them to keep the sheeple from knowing the truth!

I was just reading about goodwin`s law the other day. Interesting.

Advertisement