Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today:120,000 foot space jump.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Alexidium wrote: »
    Does anyone have any information how much Felix got from this whole thing? I doubt he done it for just the record? I'm not sure, anyone?

Crate of Red Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cournioni wrote: »
    Probably a good idea, but how will he be able to deal with his adrenaline cravings after that?! :D

he can drink red bull :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Alexidium wrote: »
    Does anyone have any information how much Felix got from this whole thing? I doubt he done it for just the record? I'm not sure, anyone?

I wouldn't be surprised if he did and that he'll make money from selling the story. The BBC are making a documentary about it, that they will show in November or December. He's probably getting a nice bit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

it looks so peaceful, then you think about how fast he is actually falling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Stupidest thing I ever saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

How is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

you are either a very dull person or a religious fanatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Oh wow this one must have seen and talked to aliens and been inside the sun for a holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Says the Stargate Atlantis fan......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

^^^^^^
    Clearly that is awesome, but some people really have too much time on their hands.

And waay too much Lego!

shedweller wrote: »
    How is that?

I see nothing to celebrate in someone taking such a massive risk. He is lucky he didn't die. And all for nothing of any importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I see nothing to celebrate in someone taking such a massive risk. He is lucky he didn't die. And all for nothing of any importance.

what makes you think that the accomplishment was "nothing of any importance"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Sure. Are you going to ring NASA to tell them as you're obviously qualified to make statements like that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19943590

The researchers on the Red Bull Stratos project say it has already provided invaluable data for the development of high-performance, high-altitude parachute systems, and that the lessons learned will inform the development of new ideas for emergency evacuation from vehicles, such as spacecraft, passing through the stratosphere.

Nasa and its spacecraft manufacturers have asked to be kept informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

What a dreary thing to say! You must be great fun at parties, probably talk about your favorite washing machine noise :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

He's not that lucky. They spent years planning this and putting in a ton of hard work to make sure he didn't die. They conducted years of research and invented new equipment and technologies.

They have learned a lot, both from the preparation and from the jump itself. The work they have done and the knowledge they have gained, not only contributes to the sum of human experience and knowledge, but will go towards making high altitude and space travel safer.

This was a cool jump, an amazing feat, a stunning spectacle, and I'm sure a huge adrenaline rush for him. But it was much more than that too, it has advanced humanity, and pushed forward what we as a people are capable of doing.

Alternately, he could have just sat at home with a cup of tea and watched Coronation St, that would have been safer I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

thankfully, you are not the arbiter of what is 'important'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think you missed the point of the mission, maybe you should educate yourself on what he was trying to accomplish. There was far more to this than just beating 50 year old records ya know!

Jesus, I may as well go off to the 'Unpopular Opinions' thread with this one. I don't think it's all that, so what? There's no reason for you all to jump down my neck with the name calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Jesus, I may as well go off to the 'Unpopular Opinions' thread with this one. I don't think it's all that, so what? There's no reason for you all to jump down my neck with the name calling.

agreed re last line

why dont you consider it to be an impressive feat of human endevour?

BBDBB wrote: »
    agreed re last line

why dont you consider it to be an impressive feat of human endevour?

Thank you BBDBB, however I don't want to open myself up for any further abuse.

I hope you all enjoy your skydive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Small planet.

Big advertising budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Celticfire wrote: »
    Can't wait to watch this. Live in about 45 mins from now.

Live feed: http://www.redbullstratos.com/

B O R I N G

The guy has a space suit. No risk. A load of boring promotional crap imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You realise taking risk is how we move forward as a species?
    If no one ever took risk we would never have come down from the trees, we would never had tried to make it to the ocean where we found amino acids on proteins which helped us grow, we would never have crossed mountains or seas. We would know nothing about our planet, our solar system or more recently, how a body will react outside of a vessel at near the speed of sound.

Nothing of any importance?
    Go back to your cave and play with your stones... Or don't, I guess it's not worth the risk.

I hope you all enjoy your skydive.

It's not our skydive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Piliger wrote: »
    B O R I N G

Several dozen of these geezers dropped from a similar altitude would be interesting to watch. They could keep their pints, cans and short sleeves...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Piliger wrote: »
    B O R I N G

Wow......... you're just so cool.... I wish I was like you :rolleyes:

The amount of fools on forums and Youtube comments saying it's fake and boring and that the quality is ****.

He didn't go up there to put on a HD quality show for the world or to excite you, idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Here's the helmetcam. Hope you haven't eaten recently:

Advertisement