Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mike912 wrote: »
    I don't think the 12 men on the field rule makes a bit of common sense as it is currently applied.

It does look crazy at times, but players in the past as part of strategy have made it look like they were leaving and getting substituted out. Only for them to make a quick repostion and take part in a play. With 12 players on the pitch, the opponent has to account for an extra man and has a huge competitive disadvantage.

So when a player has been substituted out and lingers on the pitch. The NFL views these lingering players as behaving with unsportsmanlike conduct. It might look silly on TV, but I can understand the NFL's logic for not tolerating it. Especially in the mind games and game of chess world that American Football is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

SixtyTwo wrote: »
    To echo this I have been fortunate enough to be given a chance to work in a job related to the game in the US starting Fall 2013 and the job has strict policies on public forums and what their staff say on said forums.

As I get into a lot of scrapes on here I don't want to endanger said chance before it even happens. It will be tough not debating and getting into banter here but I am going to leave this account open just in case and in the event come fall next year I can chat on here the odd time and refrain from calling folk out I will :D Also I will continue with Fantasy football.

I may also pop in and answer rule related stuff and the mechanics of the game but I will have to take a large step back to prevent making a tit of myself as usual.

Congratulations dude, I remember you telling me a few years ago you wanted to move closer to the game over here. Glad that's happening for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

davyjose wrote: »
    Congratulations dude, I remember you telling me a few years ago you wanted to move closer to the game over here. Glad that's happening for you!

Since you live in Portland, Oregon any chance you seen Mo Farah or Galen Rupp out on a long run this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Hernandez active :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well, that was a steaming pile of ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

kryogen wrote: »
    Well, that was a steaming pile of ****e

So angry right now, so many stupid mistakes and the secondary is so so poor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

We are so fortunate to be in the AFC.

Could you imagine this "defence" having to face the likes of Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning or Matt Stafford multiple times a season?

Not that it matters, when we're allowing the likes of Jake Locker and Russell Wilson to look like Steve Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Could you imagine this "defence" having to face the likes of Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning or Matt Stafford multiple times a season?

Yeah but you'd also get to face Vick which would pad the cb's stats nicely...

poor from your lot today but tbf you played muck and it was still a tight game. You'll be there or there abouts as usual, as much as it pains me.

Only caught bits of the game thanks to a poor connection, totally missed the second half. Looks like I missed nothing. Need to look at the highlights tomorrow on GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Don't look at the highlights, not much there to be happy about tbh and not exactly any new info regarding how soft the secondary is

• Advertisement

These matches are good for the patriots. They need to be battle hardened when they come up against the NFC champs in the Superbowl whether that be Green Bay, my beloved Giants or the 49ners. Although a resurgent Steelers could cause a few problems in a AFC championship game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

These matches are good for the patriots. They need to be battle hardened when they come up against the NFC champs in the Superbowl whether that be Green Bay, my beloved Giants or the 49ners. Although a resurgent Steelers could cause a few problems in a AFC championship game.

Bit disrespectful to the rest of the AFC no? I'm sure ourselves, Baltimore and Houston will have something to say in the AFC picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

spiralism wrote: »

Bit disrespectful to the rest of the AFC no? I'm sure ourselves, Baltimore and Houston will have something to say in the AFC picture.

Was thinking the same myself, I'd hardly call the Steelers "resurgent" either

Pudsy33 wrote: »

No, "past it" would be more the term i'm thinking of :pac:

HigginsJ wrote: »

I saw that, supposedly he was in Brady's ear all game, Brady was really pissed off when he threw the pick to him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I saw that, supposedly he was in Brady's ear all game, Brady was really pissed off when he threw the pick to him

Yea. Credit where its due that's one of the best D back-fields in football.

kryogen wrote: »
    Don't look at the highlights, not much there to be happy about tbh and not exactly any new info regarding how soft the secondary is

Ya still haven't watched it yet, but I probably will, just to see how bad it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Ya still haven't watched it yet, but I probably will, just to see how bad it is.

McCourty was great, thats all you need to know.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

We were awful everywhere, coaching included.

Offense was shocking and Brady is the man to blame unfortunately for the loss. Over thrown/under thrown, wildly inaccurate passes. The 2 ints were from badly thrown balls. We had multiple chances to put the game away on offense and we couldn't do it. The debacle at the end of the first half was mostly Brady's fault. The Oline did a fantastic job against a great pass rush, Brady was only sacked once all game and he could do nothing with it. On any other day for the final drive when we had 1:18 and only needed 60 yards to put us in FG range, my money would have been on Brady...but FFS we couldnt even get one 1st down on 4 attempts, just awful. Brady had the most passing attempts of his career and very little pressure and we only scored 23 points, i think that sums up how bad his passing was.

Defense was good for most of the game and caused turnovers which the offense couldn't capitalise on. The Seahawks had multiple 3 and outs and i dont think they had a 1st down in the 3rd qtr. A great rushing team was neutralised on the ground. But sh1t hit the fan when the secondary and mostly the safeties were exposed on the deep ball. Our pass rush was undisciplined at times letting Wilson get out of the pocket on multiple occasions.

We have the talent in nearly every position on the field (except in the 2ndary) to be a great team but our mental toughness is sh1te at the moment and it started with Brady and tickled down from there. I have no doubt we'll bounce back and beat the Jets next Sunday and make the playoffs but after that, against good teams, I'm not very confident.

On a side note, Peter King is a twat. Reading his MMQB today, he is all over the Pats loss while the week before in the Brady/Manning battle (which he is normally super wet for) all he has is a tiny tidbit on the last page...he's a disgrace to be from Mass and he can stick his anti Pats/Belichick bias up his hole...dickhead

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »

I think you took that out of context. As in if the Steelers make a resurgent effort they can cause problems for the Pats. On the basis on the opening six weeks you could not suggest they had made a resurgent effort to get back on top of the AFC yet the season is only young.

If your a Chargers fan than yes maybe you can justifably claim to be the biggest threat to the Patriots in a playoff type game. Im think Houston are a nice team but when you come up against seasoned pros like they did last night then its a whole different ball game. Baltimore are a typical AFC semi finalist team but the NFC is dog eat dog so its not disrepectful to suggest the Pats have an easier route to a Superbowl than the 49ners, The Big Bad Giants, Packers. Atlanta are going well but do you really think that sort of team has the knowhow to beat one of the big dogs in a championship type of game. My answer is no thats why I write off the Texans and Ravens although the Ravens have more substance than the Texans I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Lots of talk on WEEI about NE's drafts of DB's over the last few years, here is a look at the last 10.

2003:
    Eugene Wilson
    Asante Samuel

2004:
    Gus Scott
    Dexter Reid
    Christian Morton

2005:
    Ellis Hobbs

2006:
    Willie Andrews

2007:
    Brandon Meriweather
    Mike Richardson

2008:
    Terrence Wheatley
    Jonathan Wilhite
    Mattehew Slater

2009:
    Pat Chung
    Darius Butler

2010:
    Devin McCourty

Ras-I Dowling
    Malcolm Williams

Lots of guys still contributing on other teams around the league but by and large the DB's we have drafted have been bad. Mc Courty was immense in his first year but has regressed something awful. I think that it has been more coaching than drafting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Wilhite and Wheatley had a lot expected of them but busted.

Was Slater initially drafted as a receiver?

Bring back Law and Rodney. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

And pay Asante :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Wilhite and Wheatley had a lot expected of them but busted.

Was Slater initially drafted as a receiver?

Slater started as CB and did some work at FS then, its only in the last two seasons he has been classified as a WR.

A bit unfair to classify him as anything but a special teams player.

If your a Chargers fan than yes maybe you can justifably claim to be the biggest threat to the Patriots in a playoff type game. Im think Houston are a nice team but when you come up against seasoned pros like they did last night then its a whole different ball game. Baltimore are a typical AFC semi finalist team but the NFC is dog eat dog so its not disrepectful to suggest the Pats have an easier route to a Superbowl than the 49ners, The Big Bad Giants, Packers. Atlanta are going well but do you really think that sort of team has the knowhow to beat one of the big dogs in a championship type of game. My answer is no thats why I write off the Texans and Ravens although the Ravens have more substance than the Texans I feel.

??

Brady owns the Chargers and they're not even that good anymore. It was Manning's Colts they owned and beat twice in the playoffs, if that's what you're thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭SixtyTwo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just want to wish you the very best of luck, I hope it goes really well for you.

Thanks EE. I will post every now and again for sure but they will most likely be non debatable posts that keep me from debating with folk.
    Syferus wrote: »
    Keep us posted, lad.

Oh, and check your PPR trades. pacman.gif

Terrible Trade proposal ;)
    All I can say is, best of luck biting your tongue when neilster returns next draft season pacman.gif

I will be away during the draft and in a place where my only net will be ****e so I should do alright. :D
    Hazys wrote: »
    New QB for the Jets? I heard they were desperate pacman.gif

TO time never mind Tebow time. Me in the same room as Rex Ryan would be entertaining but not in a good way :D

??

Brady owns the Chargers and they're not even that good anymore. It was Manning's Colts they owned and beat twice in the playoffs, if that's what you're thinking.

I was being nice, the AFC is too easy for the Pats, hardly think someone like the Broncos is going to do any damage in the playoffs ?

Go Giants or Go Home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Go Giants or Go Home

when i read that all I could think was Go Go Power-rangers! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement