Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver here, ask questions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What is your favourite type of cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Is it annoying to you if Leap users state their destination rather than the fare?

On the website it says state your destination, but sometimes drivers don't know the correct fare and look confused/vexed, or you get charged 1.70 by one driver, 1.95 by the next. But conversely, if I just get on and state the fare I will often get asked where I'm going as if I'm pulling a fast one?

On a side note I'm sure it's a tough job and as a daily user of the service I have to say it's great (if a bit expensive) and the regular drivers on my route are great, so keep up the good work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭bobby23

cold case wrote: »
    How do you flag down a bus at the designated stop, in the country, in the dark mornings, with no public lighting. My daughters often have the bus drive past them, even if they wave their lit-up phones, and sometimes they take a torch, but the bus does not always stop for them.

sorry, only know about dublin Bus.

The Dublin Bus Way™
    If it happens offen ring the bus depot and tell the inspector what is happening, he will get on to the driver.
    If it does happen again, phone the depot again.
    Fact is we want a easy life no aggro, if you cause aggro for depot inspector he will be after the driver to stop messing around.
    Driver continues to act the maggot the inspector gets grief from you, he then is going to make sure the driver does as he is told or he will make his work life awkward.

I have another question - do you know why sometimes buses don't show up on the electronic readout or disappear off them and then show up anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why do so many DB drivers pass a cyclist and then immediately pull in to a stop forcing us cyclists to take evasive action?

BTW - I'm not a slow cyclist. I'm on a road bike in lycra and am often doing +40kph when the above happens. Why not wait behind for 2 seconds and pull in safely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

As far as I know there is only one unfolded buggy allowed on the bus at any time

And that's a rule that has to be enforced I suppose, if there is a crash and a compo claim then management will hammer the driver if the procedure was not followed.

Do you ever get hassle from people refusing to fold up a buggy?
    Like two friends getting on, one must fold and the other is fine

Or even more outrageous....
    Has it ever happened that a wheelchair user gets on and the person with the buggy flat out refuses to fold up. :eek::mad:
    And so the wheelchair user can't use the bus.

Aoifums wrote: »
    Is the 'no smoking' announcement automatic, like linked to smoke alarms, or do you cause it to happen?
    Would you rather passengers say thanks or is it a waste of breath on our part? :o

No Smoke alarms on bus.
    Announcement automatic.
    Drivers do appreciate thanks.

scudzilla wrote: »
    What is your favourite type of cheese?

In a can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

bobby23 wrote: »
    Fact is a lot of people dont wait or want them.
    Look at the drivers position when he is working the ticket machine, most likely left hand extended to the machine, his left arm will block a lot of his view of the money in the slot.
    When you put in a €2 coin i hear a solid clunk, i know from experience its a €2 coin, person says 1.90 i give them ticket and then press 3 buttons to give change.
    if you throw in a handful of coins i just assume it is the correct fare.
    At the end of the day i get payed the same wage, nothing extra for not giving not change tickets.

It's generally a case where I throw in a 2 euro coin for a 1.90 fair actually. :pac: Obviously you're just in a better mood than my bus driver or something. :pac: Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dubwat

Do you drive the same route day in/day out forever or do you get switched around every few weeks? Ever made a mistake and taken the wrong turn/route :)

• Advertisement

pm1977x wrote: »
    Is it annoying to you if Leap users state their destination rather than the fare?

On the website it says state your destination, but sometimes drivers don't know the correct fare and look confused/vexed, or you get charged 1.70 by one driver, 1.95 by the next. But conversely, if I just get on and state the fare I will often get asked where I'm going as if I'm pulling a fast one?

On a side note I'm sure it's a tough job and as a daily user of the service I have to say it's great (if a bit expensive) and the regular drivers on my route are great, so keep up the good work!

Dont think drivers have a preference,i know i dont, either will do.
    The reason you are getting asked where you are going is that the €1.90 is the cash ticket asked for by passengers who are going all the way. They just drop €2 in the slot no matter how far they are going.
    driver "where are you going?"
    passenger "ehehhhhhhhh"
    Driver "city center?"
    passenger "Ehh yeah"
    Driver "€2.65"
    Myself, i dont care , give them the ticket and be on my way.
    Yet again dont want any aggro

pm1977x wrote: »
    I have another question - do you know why sometimes buses don't show up on the electronic readout or disappear off them and then show up anyway?

Honestly have no idea,
    As far as i know they are not operated by dublin bus.
    Believe its the NTA. More jobs for the boys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The reason you are getting asked where you are going is that the €1.90 is the cash ticket asked for by passengers who are going all the way. They just drop €2 in the slot no matter how far they are going.
    passenger "ehehhhhhhhh"
    Driver "city center?"
    passenger "Ehh yeah"
    Driver "€2.65"

Recurrent theme in your posts is "Don't really give a ****, will do anything for an easy life"

It's a really sad endorsement of the opinion a lot of people have of people in the likes of CIE, that they really couldn't be bothered to do anything over and above the minimum asked of them in their job.

passenger "ehehhhhhhhh"
    Driver "city center?"
    passenger "Ehh yeah"
    Driver "€2.65"

ok thanks!

Why do so many DB drivers pass a cyclist and then immediately pull in to a stop forcing us cyclists to take evasive action?

BTW - I'm not a slow cyclist. I'm on a road bike in lycra and am often doing +40kph when the above happens. Why not wait behind for 2 seconds and pull in safely?

Most likely bike lane not being used.
    Guaranteed you are not traveling as fast as you would like to think you are

Bus stopped at traffic lights , tight to kerb.
    Cyclist mount pavement to get in front of bus.
    light turn green , bus stuck behing lance armstong wanna be, crawling out the road.

A door opens on a building and 20 people want to get out and you want to get in, would you push in pass them or let them out before you went in?
    Bus 50+ passengers going home v 1 cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If you had your way, what bus would you choose as the one and only for Dublin Bus, past and present?

Most likely bike lane not being used.
    Guaranteed you are not traveling as fast as you would like to think you are
    I should have clarified, it's more of a problem on outer routes, rural unlit roads. Drivers on the 33 route are particularly guilty.

Re cycle lanes - I don't see the relevance - regardless of whether or not a cyclist is using the cycle lane, it doesn't give a DB driver the right disregard his responsibility. Attending an inquest is not pleasant.

Re speed - I have a GPS on the bike so I know exactly what speed I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Whats your opinion of people thanking you when they get off the bus? Is it annoying to have 20 people getting off at once saying it, do you say it back?

Dubwat wrote: »
    Do you drive the same route day in/day out forever or do you get switched around every few weeks? Ever made a mistake and taken the wrong turn/route :)

im marked in.
    Marked in driver do 1 route and have a roster, they know what shift they will be doing all year. You Can plan ahead, you know when you start and finish.

Spare driver only find out today what they are doing tomorrow.
    Spare drivers get all the "Animal" shifts.
    Bogey shifts eg. start 7:00 garage. Break 12:00- 16:00. Finish 19:00 city center. Absolute pigs. Imaging living down in wexford and doing that.
    Long, long day.

Years ago before the working time directive, when spare you could get a 15:00 start and finish in depot at 00:30.
    Then be rostered to do a bogey starting at 7am.
    Fu**ing nightmare! Try commuting up from carlow or wexford and do that.
    Is it any wonder some drivers can be grumpy.

In the beginning loads of wrong turns.
    Sent out to do routes you dont know
    Depot inspector '"Sure you will know the route by the end of the day"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dont mind sharing the bus lane with cyclists at all, when they stay close to the kerb.

Can I ask if you're a cyclist yourself? Do/did you commute daily to work on a bike for example?

• Advertisement

My pet hate when driving buses (manuals - not cushy autos) was the "driver's friend" - those annoying men who think they are doing a service by standing beside you and talking shite. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Why does Dublin bus have 3 66x's passing through Leixlip around 8am and only one through Celbridge?
    Rarely able to get on the 8am bus at the bridge in Celbridge but can get on a half empty 66x at the roundabout before the N4 in Leixlip
    And if you don't know the answer, who can I complain too?

Other than that its a great service and the student tickets make it really cheap for me!;)
    Best bus has to be the later ones home after 10 as the driver finally discovers where his accelerator is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Do you think its stupid when the coin machine isnt working and they let people on 4 free ????
    Do you think ther should be buses all night ???

Stheno wrote: »
    Recurrent theme in your posts is "Don't really give a ****, will do anything for an easy life"

It's a really sad endorsement of the opinion a lot of people have of people in the likes of CIE, that they really couldn't be bothered to do anything over and above the minimum asked of them in their job.

Put it this way. Every driver out of the training school does everything by the book.
    We all start off enforcing the rules, but when someone complains about a driver the management will always take the side of the complainer and reprimand the driver.
    Eg. Passenger had a invalid ticket.
    Told him it was invalid, and he would have to pay. Passenger blew a fuse.
    Eventually passenger payed and on we went.
    1 week later boss wanted to see me, had a complaint letter. The passenger who i made buy a ticket wrote in to say "he had never evaded paying for a fare in his life", and was made to pay for a ticket by me. He was offended that i would not let him travel for free!!!!
    And as a regular customer of dublin bus he demanded i be sacked!! (for doing my job).
    anyway boss was not happy with me" I should be sensitive to the mental state of our customers and not upset them".
    i Was given a verbal warning not to upset customers.
    Every driver can give you a similar story.
    So what would you do? How would you behave?

If you had your way, what bus would you choose as the one and only for Dublin Bus, past and present?

New buses are like driving a car, much better than old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

Do bus inspectors exist anymore? I have gotten the bus for years without them.

Also my friends have said they have given fake addresses and gotten away with it. Do they actually check the address while they are on the bus? Can you bluff your way out of a ticket.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Whats your opinion of people thanking you when they get off the bus? Is it annoying to have 20 people getting off at once saying it, do you say it back?

Just give them a little wave, say bye.
    Cost nothing to be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

I like the question about destination vs. fare. When I was using cash I'd throw in and say how much, but leap makes that different and slower Also, regularly have an issue with the bus machine charging from say stage 29 to town instead of 28

squod wrote: »
    Can I ask if you're a cyclist yourself? Do/did you commute daily to work on a bike for example?

dont bike to work too far.
    But i do have a bike, no problem with them.
    the bike lanes in dublin are a joke, rob peter to pay paul, only a line painted on a narrow road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,563 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hi Bobby,
    Just wondering if you could tell me what is the student discount on the monthly tickets? Can't find any information on the website on the reduction.
    I get the bus around 40 times a month and am trying to figure out the cheapest way to travel.
    Thanks

Try here:

Adult Tickets
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/

Student Tickets
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/

Advertisement