Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bus driver here, ask questions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

All DB stock are automatics. The vibration is caused by fuel saving alterations. Regarding the 46a abandoning Oap's ~ the Oap's on Kill ave/ Carriglea downs like the new service. The Stillorgan stop southbound is rough for Oap's/Disabled due to distance from the village.

I've heard people from the estates the 46A used to drive through complaining bitterly that they can't hobble to the stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Question: how come when driver change over there is a delay? been couple times I've been on the bus and waiting for releaf driver to arrive, sometimes it's 10/15 minutes, shouldn't drivers announce to passengers there is a delay just waiting on other driver,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Stheno wrote: »
    Time for a change so.

Reading the posts tonight, it sounds like something from Stalinist Russia a lot of the time.

At least in my job I know how I'll be measured, I've performance incentives etc

Stheno you really have come out with some none sense in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

They tend to get a lot of bad press, but I used to cycle in Dublin a lot and I'd have to say overall I found the bus drivers to be among the more considerate on the roads.

LLU wrote: »
    They tend to get a lot of bad press, but I used to cycle in Dublin a lot and I'd have to say overall I found the bus drivers to be among the more considerate on the roads.

+1 for that. Intelligent drivers, where cyclists are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

stheno you come across stubborn and a bit of a "I am always right" character, from reading Bobby's replies, a lot of his answers (if thought about) do make sense, whilst your arguments come across as petty with an underlying grudge against dublin bus in general. get a grip!

on another note, i am both a driver and a cyclist, cycling i never(maybe luckily) had problems with dublin bus, however when commuting by car and a passenger on db, i have come across what i would class as aggressive driving by db drivers, one such incident being on OConnell street at the traffic lights opposite Henry st, the driver failed to slow down and tried to bully pedestrians off the road, the driver then had to jam on the brakes and made everybody jolt out of their seats, i personally got a bit shocked by his antics and i am not shocked easy and there was swearing from other passengers, everybody knows that this particular place is notorious for people shopping and many not obeying the rules of the road, yes they are wrong, however the bus driver should not of been traveling at such a speed and should of been in the know about this spot, he was a foreign dude though so maybe he wasnt overly familiar but its common sense/instinct - no? regardless, the dude was a dangerous clown!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 urbane4u

• Registered Users Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I've heard people from the estates the 46A used to drive through complaining bitterly that they can't hobble to the stop now.

They can take the 63 surely to the 46a stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭markpb

lxflyer wrote: »
    They can take the 63 surely to the 46a stop?

Connections only work if both routes are reasonably frequent, not something that can be said about the 63. It might be okay to transfer from 63 to 46a but the other way would be a pain. RPTI makes it less annoying but doesn't improve the reliability or decrease the journey time.

Let's not dress up route cuts as anything else - yes they were financially necessary but that doesn't mean the alternative is a good one for DB customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

what a refreshing thread! thanks Bobby! just wanna lighten it up a bit before your deadline , what are some of the funniest / kindest things you have seen in the course of your work? I am sure I wouldn't have the patience to put up with a lot of the c*ap you must encounter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the detour via Monkstown Farm added and extra 5-10 minutes out of every journey, and was serving at most 5% of the commuters. it was very common for nobody to get on/off between the post office end of the farm and Abbey Road.
    it was a major waste of time for one of the city's busiest routes, and most of those effected only use it to travel to/from Dun Laoghaire, which is now covered by the 63 (albeit at a lower frequency)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

markpb wrote: »
    Connections only work if both routes are reasonably frequent, not something that can be said about the 63. It might be okay to transfer from 63 to 46a but the other way would be a pain. RPTI makes it less annoying but doesn't improve the reliability or decrease the journey time.

Let's not dress up route cuts as anything else - yes they were financially necessary but that doesn't mean the alternative is a good one for DB customers.

The change to the 46a was not a cut - it was to improve the service for the majority of passengers.

The 63 provides a service to Monkstown Farm that frankly matches the demand from there.

Anyway.

As I lie here in my bed at night I often see double-decker buses whizzing by, empty or with one passenger.

This route used to be served by 'Imp' buses - hugely popular, they revived a failing route; they were timely, they came every 10 minutes, and they nipped through city traffic much faster than the unwieldy double-deckers.

Whatever happened to the Imps? And why aren't there different size buses for different times? Wouldn't it make sense to use double-deckers for times of heavy demand, and smaller buses, lighter on fuel, for times of lighter demand?

(I know this isn't necessarily a question a bus driver can answer, but would be interested to hear opinions all the same.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Ah jesus, so now despite being on a route for a year, you can't count coins, and don't even understand stages?

Would you give the lad a break, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyway.

As I lie here in my bed at night I often see double-decker buses whizzing by, empty or with one passenger.

This route used to be served by 'Imp' buses - hugely popular, they revived a failing route; they were timely, they came every 10 minutes, and they nipped through city traffic much faster than the unwieldy double-deckers.

Whatever happened to the Imps? And why aren't there different size buses for different times? Wouldn't it make sense to use double-deckers for times of heavy demand, and smaller buses, lighter on fuel, for times of lighter demand?

(I know this isn't necessarily a question a bus driver can answer, but would be interested to hear opinions all the same.)

This^^

My own route is like this - saturday and sunday it is very quiet but yet a huge double decker trundles into town with no more than half a dozen on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

bobby23 wrote: »
    "Didn't realise they take coppers, that madness."
    That why i am answering questions tonight.

people posting on here dont have a clue what they are talking about.
    Ask a question and you will get a answer. no bull****.
    Will not answer any after midnight, so get them in.
    Drivers have nothing to hide, admittedly there are a few bad apples, but for the most part we are just like you.

No you are not just like me.

People like you with your attitude really really feck me off.
    His manner and attitude throughout the thread seems a lot more patient than yours.
    So basically you are unable to do one element of your job checking fares?
    So its the drivers fault?

You try looking and counting coins behind 10yrs old perspex after dark when the passenger has been busking all day for spare change.

I've already suggested they put in counting machines.

That of course would be up to "management"
    So now its not the drivers fault? Cant make up your mind, or can you?:pac:

Id say you would be the first to complain if the driver counted all change, delaying the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Anyway.

Something I remember about the Imp routes was that they ended up becoming a victim of their own success and needing to be upgraded to a full double decker over time to accommodate passenger numbers. Also, the small buses used for the services weren't as capable or sturdy as other models of bus.

Something I remember about the Imp routes was that they ended up becoming a victim of their own success and needing to be upgraded to a full double decker over time to accommodate passenger numbers. Also, the small buses used for the services weren't as capable or sturdy as other models of bus.

It seems crackers, though, that a sturdier version of the Imps couldn't be sourced, and used for off-peak times. It's really offensive to see huge buses blazing with lights crossing the city empty or almost empty in times like these.

It seems crackers, though, that a sturdier version of the Imps couldn't be sourced, and used for off-peak times. It's really offensive to see huge buses blazing with lights crossing the city empty or almost empty in times like these.

Can you see a tender for such a bus? Wanted, a 28 seater Mini Bus for intensive city use. Must be able to be driven 1,200 miles a week and not be a steaming pile of crap that rattles to hell and falls apart within 3 years like a Mercedes Sprinter? :)

Can you see a tender for such a bus? Wanted, a 28 seater Mini Bus for intensive city use. Must be able to be driven 1,200 miles a week and not be a steaming pile of crap that rattles to hell and falls apart within 3 years like a Mercedes Sprinter? :)

Er, I assume that other cities with heavy bus routes have the same style of bus. In fact, a Google image search for "city bus" brings up mostly single-decker buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've been lurking on this thread with interest. Thanks for the truth, bobby - however unpalatable parts of it may be to some.

+1 to the resurrecting the Imp idea. They were dead handy little buggers and seemed to fade away unnoticed. Might be an idea to write a letter to Dublin Bus and get an official reply. They can safely ignore a thread on boards.

Er, I assume that other cities with heavy bus routes have the same style of bus. In fact, a Google image search for "city bus" brings up mostly single-decker buses.

You can get other brands and buses that are mid size as well; Dublin Bus have a few in their WV class. It's just a learning curve worldwide that a mini bus similar to an Imp just doesn't hack it in the long term in comparison to the likes of an ALX 400 or an Olympian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

bobby i see your remark on copying grannys bus pass has been removed and rightly so. it was a bad judgement call on you to post something like that. just add on to this. there is a zero tollerence unit out there. most of you would've seen these guys if you've had your tickets checked. three inspectors on and one in the staff car. they exactly what it says,zero tollerence. if these guys catch anyone with a copied s.w. pass they will bring you to court and you could end up with a criminal conviction. otherwise your thread is indeed very good.
    @ stheno
    most of your points raised @ robbie were about fare evasion and his lack of enthusiasm. the bus drivers main priority is to get people from A to B as quickly and as safely as possible. their job does not involve being ticket inspectors ( not yet anyway) unless someone is obviously pulling the wool over their eyes, should this be the case then the driver will take action. but as a general rule they are taught to avoid passenger confrontation.

someone asked why drivers dont wait for people who run for the bus. if they wait for every runner eventually the bus get delayed and when it gets to it's intended destination it's generally late as they only have a certain amount of time to do a certain run. in most cases to bus does not operate the inbound journey.theres a thread about a so called rude bus eireann driver here, some people got stuck into him because he wouldn't open the doors for poor oul gran who was late for her bus.i'm sorry but if people cant be there on time for the bus it's not the bus driver fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

bobby23 wrote: »
    ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Why do some bus drivers refuse to let on people flat out running for the bus when it takes all of 2 seconds? The bus stop outside Heuston has a set of traffic lights about three metres away. The light was red and the bus had just pulled away from the bus stop to wait at the lights. He still wouldn't let me on despite sitting parked at the lights for another few minutes. I had to wait another twenty minutes in the freezing cold.

Also, not sure if this happens in Dublin but it does elsewhere. Why do buses wait ages at certain stops? I've been on buses where the bus has parked up at a stop for twenty minutes. It's the same stop every time so I assume it's procedure.

Why do Dublin buses not give change? The rest of the country does.

Once bus leaves stop do not open doors. company rules.
    If plain clothes inspector on bus driver in trouble if he opens doors.

Dont give change because junkies where attacking drivers for cash.

That seems so silly, to get in trouble for that. Why is that a rule? I have seen bus drivers allowing passengers on late before - to me it always seemed that it was at the discretion of the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

someone asked why drivers dont wait for people who run for the bus. if they wait for every runner eventually the bus get delayed and when it gets to it's intended destination it's generally late as they only have a certain amount of time to do a certain run. in most cases to bus does not operate the inbound journey.theres a thread about a so called rude bus eireann driver here, some people got stuck into him because he wouldn't open the doors for poor oul gran who was late for her bus.i'm sorry but if people cant be there on time for the bus it's not the bus driver fault.

More often than not, the buses are not on time anyway! They are often late and appear in twos or threes.

There really aren't that significant a number of people that would run for a bus that it would be significantly delayed were they let on.

It really takes only a few seconds and is an act of kindness - these people are supporting the business and were this common practice then the bus service would probably would get more custom.

I have commuted on public transport every weekday for five years and I have only seen a small number of incidents where people have run to catch the bus. Usually it's only a party of one or two people anyway, not loads.

In the example I gave, the bus was parked up at a stop for another five minutes so letting me on would not have delayed the bus in the slightest.

Bobby already said it's company regulation so I don't think it's because drivers don't want to be delayed.

That seems so silly, to get in trouble for that. Why is that a rule? I have seen bus drivers allowing passengers on late before - to me it always seemed that it was at the discretion of the driver.

I believe it's a safety and/or insurance issue to open the doors between stops.

Despite that, I have regular memories of bus drivers on Olympians and Atlanteans leaving the door open on warm summer days, even when the bus was moving.

The timekeeping on Dublin Bus routes is the main thing that leaves the service open to contempt - it makes it seem inefficient and unprofessional. And the filth of many buses.

I've heard tourists laughing with a tone of utter contempt at the business of giving no change - they regard this as a banana republic action, as do many Dubliners.

The good thing is the kindness and courtesy of most drivers towards passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Is it true that members of the Gardai travel free,on or off duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The timekeeping on Dublin Bus routes is the main thing that leaves the service open to contempt - it makes it seem inefficient and unprofessional. And the filth of many buses.

I've heard tourists laughing with a tone of utter contempt at the business of giving no change - they regard this as a banana republic action, as do many Dubliners.

The good thing is the kindness and courtesy of most drivers towards passengers.

The funny thing here is some people are giving out because the bus drivers won't wait for gran to run for the bus and others give out because the bus is never on time. We can't have it both ways. I use Dublin Bus to get everywere (work, college, social etc.) and have no trouble now that I have the DB real time info app.

A bus driver told me that they come 3 together so they can get through their routes faster, I think they even have a name for it, 'piggy backing' or something, any truth in that bobby?

The filth of the buses is the publics fault, the drivers have to go up and pick up rubbish at the end of each route, they can't be expected do it in the middle of the route.

Bobby said they removed the change facilitie from DB because they were getting robbed for it. Its also less hassle for them. Its not that big a deal once they get over the initial shock. The tourists who laughed with contempt over something so small don't sound like very nice people ........ must have been german. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Why do some bus drivers refuse to let on people flat out running for the bus when it takes all of 2 seconds? The bus stop outside Heuston has a set of traffic lights about three metres away. The light was red and the bus had just pulled away from the bus stop to wait at the lights. He still wouldn't let me on despite sitting parked at the lights for another few minutes. I had to wait another twenty minutes in the freezing cold.

Also, not sure if this happens in Dublin but it does elsewhere. Why do buses wait ages at certain stops? I've been on buses where the bus has parked up at a stop for twenty minutes. It's the same stop every time so I assume it's procedure.

Why do Dublin buses not give change? The rest of the country does.
    on the first highlighted point.
    once the doors close they stay closed till the next stop and more importantly it does say on the doors " doors will not be opened in between stops" drivers are not supposed to issue tickets once they are away from the bus stop. so if the driver opened his doors let you on, you fumble for your change /ticket.people have fumbled for their tickets only to find they're invalid then go look for change. this isn't the two seconds your on about this could be two minutes.in the mean time lights have gone green and the bus/driver/other passengers are waiting until you've received your ticket.
    now on a more serious note. it's a wet miserable day, driver sees you running opens the doors you jump on or whatever the case and you slip/fall which used to happen quite regularly hence health and safety for your protection. then theres also the case of what if you get hit by a cyclist/motorcyclist if the driver opens the doors in between stops. it's not you who will be hauled over the coals. then to top it off there are inspectors out there watching for the sort of thing your exactly looking for.
    now the next highlighted point.
    all last buses must wait for their time in city centre. so if they get there early and are last bus they must wait.could also be waiting for a change of driver. or the runs they do bring factory workers to work most of whom rely on a certain bus leaving precisely at a certain time.

Advertisement